Search found 32 matches

Go to advanced search

by zooko
Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:29 am
Forum: Zcash / ZEC (Different from Zcoin)
Topic: The Zcash Open Source Miner Challenge
Replies: 2
Views: 3288

The Zcash Open Source Miner Challenge

Hey folks! If you like coding or know someone who does, try this out: https://zcashminers.org The Zcash company is giving away $30,000 worth of prizes for open source implementations of the Zcash proof-of-work, which is an algorithm named "Equihash". Even if you don't win one of the prizes, you get ...
by zooko
Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:05 pm
Forum: Русский
Topic: plea, in Russian, for Zcash to go back to control of Matt Green and Ian Miers instead of me
Replies: 0
Views: 842

plea, in Russian, for Zcash to go back to control of Matt Green and Ian Miers instead of me

https://forum.z.cash/t/4-new-topic-and-people-begin-to-speak-the-truth/280 Honestly, I don't understand some of the English translation here (which I assume is by the author). For example "Zooko tell me about yourself at all!". Does that mean he wants to learn more about me, or that he doesn't? I wo...
by zooko
Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:53 pm
Forum: AMA - Ask Me Anything
Topic: I'm Zooko Wilcox, CEO of the Zcash Company. Ask me anything!
Replies: 79
Views: 37681

Re: I'm Zooko Wilcox, CEO of the Zcash Company. Ask me anything!

I notice that ZCash has some funding from DARPA and the AFRL. Could you comment on what their motivation might be to do that? What is it about ZCash that appeals to those organisations? No idea what you're talking about! All of our current investors are listed here: https://z.cash/team.html#investors
by zooko
Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:51 pm

Whats the difference between ZCash and Dash? seems that you guys just take a 10% cut, im asking this question because im seeing it get asked more and more Well, very different technologies for starters. I'm honestly not that familiar with Dash's technologies. Another factor that's very important to...
by zooko
Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 pm

Sorry if I'm late... You are! No guarantees I'll see any more posts on this thread. Apologies to anyone I miss after this. First, this is a dumb question: Why did you choose to have a mining reward that is discontinuous, as opposed to a more natural exponetial decrease in the reward? Clearly, you g...
by zooko
Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:53 pm
Forum: Presse
Topic: Zcash news and interviews
Replies: 2
Views: 9995

Zcash news and interviews

by zooko
Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:38 pm
Forum: Русский
Topic: Zcash
Replies: 0
Views: 892

Zcash

by zooko
Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:16 am

(I wrote a reply to this the first time but somehow lost it, so here I am rewriting it from memory.) Hi loonix: thanks for your questions! Does Zcash enhance any of the offerings via Monero? I don't know that much about Monero, although I've heard good things about it and I've had a few conversation...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:24 pm

Completely ignored my question at the bottom of Page 1
WTF. I wrote a whole answer to that. Maybe it disappeared when the coffeeshop wifi here flaked and I didn't notice that my "Submit" failed? BRB…
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I WON. I won my first AMA! I answered all the questions.

And I really do have to go do something else now. Thank you all so much for your questions. Please join the Zcash forum! We can use all the help we can get.
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:08 pm

Hello, Sc00bz. Thanks for the questions. Is there a reason you choose not to consult with any economics professors? How do you know I didn't? ☺ Why do you believe this cryptocurrency will survive without a fixed inflation rate after the initial mining (first several years)? Well, just like in Bitcoi...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi! Thank you very much for the encouragement!
Would you come to the event and be a speaker and join one of the main panels?
I'd definitely consider it! I need to visit London again anyway. ☺ Please email me!
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:42 pm

Hello, thanks for the questions. I'm still trying to figure all of this out, but other than anonymity, what makes zcash so much different than bitcoin, or for that matter, any of these other altcoins that have quite a few services and applications to offer users? The reason to make Zcash is privacy ...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:33 pm

Hello Justin. Thank you for your question! Premines are usually not seen in the brightest light. The issuance model in my opinion is very important and to think 10% of a new currency will automatically be dived up seems ludicrous. This was one of the biggest problems when people get into ethereum. I...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Hiya, Henry! Thank you for the questions. * I'd love to see a simpler example of ZK-proofs to get the idea. Thanks for the suggestion! At some point, we're going to write a blog post or article trying to do just this. In the meantime, have you seen Matt Green's Zero Knowledge Proofs: An illustrated ...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Hello Braille. Thank you for the question! What's the current status of the trusted setup necessary to boot the thing? Have your crypto wizards come up with some secure multiparty computation scheme or are we just going to have to trust you? Our crypto wizards have come up with some secure multipart...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:25 pm

Good morning from Southeast Asia. Hello! Pleased to meet you, SOF. What country do you live in? I would like to ask what are the options left available for a bitcoin user who doesn't use a smartphone and sticks to older generation 2G type basic phones without cameras and internet Wi-Fi for QR codes...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:21 pm

Hello, Atzek_btc. Thank you for your questions! 1. When do you propose the full launch of zcash will be? As you probably know, it is damned hard to predict how long it takes to finish software engineering work. It is, if anything, even harder with security and privacy engineering than with anything ...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:15 pm

Hello shelby3! Thanks for the questions. I'm interested in reading your goals and motivations for taking on anonymity in general or anonymous digital cash specifically as your priority project? I care deeply about personal privacy, personal and organizational security, and about the decentralization...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:59 pm

1: Zooko is rare name. Where does it come from? :) I was on the cypherpunks mailing list, where we were inventing all kinds of ideas about how pseudonymity could protect people from the threat of coercion while still preserving reputation and accountability. I decided I'd try it out — practice what...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:44 pm

I've wondered this for a long time: You were in the cypherpunks group, involved in digicash, mojo nation (we tallked then btw), then involved with other stuff. Then the digital cash dream appeared in 2009. Why weren't you entranced and immediately sucked in? :) Very few of the original cypherpunks ...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:30 pm

Hi there! You asked a lot of questions. Good ones. ☺ How soon could we be able to buy zcash? We're focused on launching the live, permanent, secure Zcash blockchain as soon as possible. There is a ton of engineering work left to do — security and privacy hardening and auditing, performance tuning, R...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:23 pm

Will there be ICO? If so - whats planned to raise in it? After you posted that question, but before the AMA began, I posted this new blog post about it: https://z.cash/blog/funding.html There will not be a crowd-sale or "initial coin offering". Let me know if that blog post answers your questions.
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:22 pm

What did you learn from Bitcoin? So much. Bitcoin was and is a revelation. We've all learned so much from Bitcoin, both about what we formerly thought was technically impossible, and about what people value and care about. Can Zcash remain decentralized? I sure hope so! We're engineering it for tha...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:20 pm

To my question, can you explain at a high level or in laymen terms what makes zcash more anonymous or untraceable than bitcoin? What properties does it have and how is it able to achieve anonymity? The high-level answer is like this: Bitcoin is a global, shared, append-only ledger, right? And so is...
by zooko
Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 pm

Has there been any research into doing zcash pegged 1:1with bitcoin to avoid having to compete with bitcoin's liquidity and allow both technologies to grow together? We investigated that pretty thoroughly, for a couple of months after the sidechains paper came out. We ultimately decided not to go a...
by zooko
Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:07 am

I'm Zooko Wilcox, CEO of the Zcash Company. Ask me anything!

Hi! My name is Zooko. I've been privileged to spend almost all of my adult life working on the things that I love and care about: technology that protects and empowers people. At age 19, I joined the cypherpunks mailing list. At age 21, I went to work at DigiCash under David Chaum. Next I contribute...

Go to advanced search