arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Business idea for someone in the USA

Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:18 am

It would be a fun idea if we could do the following:

1. I order at Purse.IO, and have it shipped to your address.
2. You check the package, (completeness, status) and confirm receipt.
3. In the event of multiple packages, you repack into one package, optimizing for shipping.
4. Forward internationally using FedEx,DHL,etc (or whatever is cheapest - I care more for low cost than speed, I don't care if it takes a month or more to arrive.).

DHL will give massive discounts (50%+) for a large number of packages sent per week (I think). So shipping should be combined & optimized to reduce cost.

A reasonable fee could be charged for this service.

Best for someone in a region where no sales tax is charged.

Of course it has to be someone who is trusted, and/or willing to put some money in escrow in case of disputes.

I may need something like this for a future project, but I don't think any of the freight forwarders offer good DHL/etc pricing. Right now, it is cost prohibitive for me.

Now I'll take my commission on this idea if anyone does it ;)

Thanks
Arnoud
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: Business idea for someone in the USA

Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:41 pm

It would be a fun idea if we could do the following:

1. I order at Purse.IO, and have it shipped to your address.
2. You check the package, (completeness, status) and confirm receipt.
3. In the event of multiple packages, you repack into one package, optimizing for shipping.
4. Forward internationally using FedEx,DHL,etc (or whatever is cheapest - I care more for low cost than speed, I don't care if it takes a month or more to arrive.).

DHL will give massive discounts (50%+) for a large number of packages sent per week (I think). So shipping should be combined & optimized to reduce cost.

A reasonable fee could be charged for this service.

Best for someone in a region where no sales tax is charged.

Of course it has to be someone who is trusted, and/or willing to put some money in escrow in case of disputes.

I may need something like this for a future project, but I don't think any of the freight forwarders offer good DHL/etc pricing. Right now, it is cost prohibitive for me.

Now I'll take my commission on this idea if anyone does it ;)

Thanks
Arnoud
@Arnoud

I'll post more later today in response to your post here. Also, there is a similar service which already exists (in Miami, Florida) called E-Box (http://www.e-boxlogistics.com/)

which partners with MBE - Mail Boxes Etc. (http://mbe-ca.com/en)

I've lived between Latin America and the USA for some time and I've used their service many times.

At any rate, I'll post more later today regarding your idea.

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:03 pm

Thanks for your response! What you say is true, something similar exists.

What is missing:
- checking contents & finding and sending amazon packaging slip (to know what items have arrived to release purse escrow)
- repacking to a more efficient package to forward internationally
- cheap & slow shipping methods (ie, working with a transport company to fill unused container space with these items).
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks for your response! What you say is true, something similar exists.

What is missing:
- checking contents & finding and sending amazon packaging slip (to know what items have arrived to release purse escrow)
- cheap & slow shipping methods (ie, working with a transport company to fill unused container space with these items).
You make some good a valid points.

Moreover, its seems like it would be an extremely helpful business (helping and making it possible for individuals whom are located outside of the United States to use Purse.io) and also one in which an honest and respectable profit could be made.

To be successful one would probably need to be located in area within the United States were a ship transport company is located.

I've experienced long and brutal headaches in the past when attempting to find ways to ship goods from the United States to Latin America.

Before we get to the boat freight lets start with basics -

Shipping by air:

The fastest: FedEx

The most reliable: FedEx

A better service is called Global Express Guaranteed Mail (https://www.usps.com/international/gxg.htm) which is offered at most United States Post Offices. This service is a partnership between the United States Post Office and FedEx. The advantages include:

1. Much better price than going directly through FedEx

2. 2 -3 day guaranteed delivery almost anywhere in the world

3. Money back (100%) guarantee if not delivered by stipulated date - 1, 2 or 3 days. (If package is delayed by customs that time wont count.)

There's also another service which I'd NEVER recommend for international shipping: UPS (United Parcel Service). Why? It's just way too expensive and when going international it's less reliable than FedEx.

There's also DHL (Deutsche Post DHL). However, I've NEVER considered using them for international shipping because any time I've ever been forced (buying something and receiving the item via DHL) to use them within in the United States it's invariably been a terrible experience. Packages are often lost and customer service is a at best a joke and at worst outright deception. Furthermore, DHL isn't very popular in the USA (perhaps it is in Europe and Africa) and those who have used them in the USA are often dissatisfied. However, I have no first hand experience with shipping internationally with DHL other than once receiving a smartphone (which was lost for more than a week) from Canada to the United States.

In any event, all of the foregoing shipping services (with perhaps the exception of Global Express Guaranteed Mail) would probably just be too expensive for forwarding items purchased through Purse.io (or from anywhere, including eBay).

Shipping by boat:

It seems that for the mail forwarding business to be successful, effective and efficient you'd probably need to have the goods shipped by boat and by less well known shipping companies.

Many of these shipping companies are located in coastal areas and especially in coastal areas where there are large populations of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants such as New York City (and surrounding areas).

Often times these companies operate under the radar once the goods arrive in the destination country. For example, in New York City (and surrounding areas) there are boats which will deliver barrels (blue plastic barrels) full of goods to a recipient's front door and without making a stop a the aduana (customs, import tax).

Typically I see these barrels, and regardless of weight, (full of anything from clothing, laptops to rice) delivered to the Caribbean for $90 - $100 US dollars.

However, you can also send a small box or package with them. Some are more official than others and some will make a stop at customs for import tax.

You'd need to establish a rapport (and a face to face, in person, one at that) with two or three of the ship companies. It seems that many of these shipping companies come and go, relocate and change names. Moreover, unless you are a cool person (e.g., can demonstrate some connection to the destination country or at least the continent, the language or the culture) you might get -

(a) taken advantage of and pay higher prices

(b) no service at all because they don't trust you

(c) outright denial by the proprietor of business that such a shipping company exists

All of the above are my thoughts regarding the shipping aspects of your idea for the Purse.io related mail forwarding business. I'll write more later regarding:

and

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:43 am

Thanks for your detailed answer. You have obviously put a lot of thought into this!
Moreover, its seems like it would be an extremely helpful business (helping and making it possible for individuals whom are located outside of the United States to use Purse.io) and also one in which an honest and respectable profit could be made.
Yes, I believe so. Right now, I use a freight forwarder (to Belize) that is located in Texas. They are able to do some great service (such as forwarding the Amazon packaging slips by email), assuming I know the tracking number which the seller will provide (just one exception). They receive packages from many online stores and when they can pack a shipping container full (about twice a month) they ship it. Quite efficient, and affordable.

For me, someone located there (or within reasonable distance of there) may be valuable for proper checking of the contents, and repacking for efficiency.

I initially asked this with the idea of shipping items to Europe that are hard to find there. I am shelving this idea for the time being - but still it may be very useful for other people.
To be successful one would probably need to be located in area within the United States were a ship transport company is located.
And where there is no sales tax levied. Unless - and I don't know if this is possible - sales tax could be reclaimed for items exported. Might be hard in case of purse.io where there are no official invoices in the box, just packing slips.
I've experienced long and brutal headaches in the past when attempting to find ways to ship goods from the United States to Latin America.
Where abouts in Latin America are you located?

Before we get to the boat freight lets start with basics -
<snip>
A better service is called Global Express Guaranteed Mail (https://www.usps.com/international/gxg.htm) which is offered at most United States Post Offices. This service is a partnership between the United States Post Office and FedEx. The advantages include:
<snip>
Sounds intriguing.
There's also another service which I'd NEVER recommend for international shipping: UPS (United Parcel Service). Why? It's just way too expensive and when going international it's less reliable than FedEx.
I believe they are the ones that offer insane discounts for people who send volume. After discounts, their service may be priced attractively. Without discounts, I agree with your statement.
There's also DHL (Deutsche Post DHL). However, I've NEVER considered using them for international shipping because any time I've ever been forced (buying something and receiving the item via DHL) to use them within in the United States it's invariably been a terrible experience. Packages are often lost and customer service is a at best a joke and at worst outright deception. Furthermore, DHL isn't very popular in the USA (perhaps it is in Europe and Africa) and those who have used them in the USA are often dissatisfied. However, I have no first hand experience with shipping internationally with DHL other than once receiving a smartphone (which was lost for more than a week) from Canada to the United States.
I've used DHL in Europe. They worked well, didn't lose anything, but charged some random customs stuff that was incorrect and it was a bit of a nightmare getting that fixed.
In any event, all of the foregoing shipping services (with perhaps the exception of Global Express Guaranteed Mail) would probably just be too expensive for forwarding items purchased through Purse.io (or from anywhere, including eBay).
I agree, that is why I was thinking about shipping by boat. I am charged USD 6 per cubic foot to ship from the USA to Belize. Weight is irrelevant, could be lead acid batteries for all they care. Of course, taxes are added to this, too.
It seems that for the mail forwarding business to be successful, effective and efficient you'd probably need to have the goods shipped by boat and by less well known shipping companies.

Many of these shipping companies are located in coastal areas and especially in coastal areas where there are large populations of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants such as New York City (and surrounding areas).

Often times these companies operate under the radar once the goods arrive in the destination country. For example, in New York City (and surrounding areas) there are boats which will deliver barrels (blue plastic barrels) full of goods to a recipient's front door and without making a stop a the aduana (customs, import tax).

Typically I see these barrels, and regardless of weight, (full of anything from clothing, laptops to rice) delivered to the Caribbean for $90 - $100 US dollars.

However, you can also send a small box or package with them. Some are more official than others and some will make a stop at customs for import tax.

You'd need to establish a rapport (and a face to face, in person, one at that) with two or three of the ship companies. It seems that many of these shipping companies come and go, relocate and change names. Moreover, unless you are a cool person (e.g., can demonstrate some connection to the destination country or at least the continent, the language or the culture) you might get -

(a) taken advantage of and pay higher prices
(b) no service at all because they don't trust you
(c) outright denial by the proprietor of business that such a shipping company exists
Interesting. Yes, finding reliable shipping channels (like the one I have to Belize), and providing a service on top of this (as required for Purse orders) is great, especially if it can be offered as a cost saving service (ie, x% purse fraud reduction, y% more efficient packaging, etc).

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”