Overtorment

Should I opensource bitcoin payment gateway?

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Hello guys, my first post!

Long story short. I have coded a nodejs bitcoin payment gateway, acting similarly to bitpay, but without to-fiat conversion.
It can be used by any company already accepting payments, but who want to accept bitcoin easily and without 3rd parties.

Question is: did I reinvent the wheel and there are tons of solutions like this on the interwebz? And will it be useful if I publish it on github?

AdonisValamontes

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Lz7LGmhqHJyfBANynm7T8W231bkS6X6b2

Re: Should I opensource bitcoin payment gateway?

Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:13 am

Until you decide to place your project in public domain, you are the only one that can answer your question. I guess Edsel had the same thoughts, when he decided to create another car, besides the ford. All work either be apps or cars or a pizza delivery rocket to the moon, its all creative art. Many say that "ahhh your bitcoin wallet is like the original", or your "payment gateway is like bitpay" that may be true to some degree, but because a car has an engine and tires and looks all the other cars generally speaking, that does not mean that the creative art is not unique. The same goes for crypto wallets and other ideas in the cryptocoin world. They all may use the same "tires" and "engine" and generally do the same thing, but the creative art is unique!

:idea:
Geopay.me Inc.

"don't need to know everything, I just need to know where to find it."
A. Einstein.
UberPay the wallet with more than 20+ coins @ http://UberPay.io

coinableS
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1J9ikqFuwrzPbczsDkquA9uVYeq6dEehsj

Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Hello guys, my first post!

Long story short. I have coded a nodejs bitcoin payment gateway, acting similarly to bitpay, but without to-fiat conversion.
It can be used by any company already accepting payments, but who want to accept bitcoin easily and without 3rd parties.

Question is: did I reinvent the wheel and there are tons of solutions like this on the interwebz? And will it be useful if I publish it on github?

Is there only one faucet script out there? Is there only one forum software, shopping cart, chat box, etc. Some people might find yours better, or other devs might want to fork it. You should publish it.

taras
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Publish it and charge 50$ for help with installation, and 70$/h for modifications ..

omarabid
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 pm

The forum will benefit from better moderation.

Otherwise, the real question is: Why Should you NOT publish it?

Is it because you are fearing it'll lose people money? Then maybe you should make them more careful.

If you think it is because it's worth more than 0$ per clone, then you answered your own question. Start selling it.

Eastwind

Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:52 pm

You should be rewarded for your work. Like the other personal said, open source it, but charge for service.

spair
AMA
AMA

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:12 am

Yes, publish it. We actually have a tutorial on bitcore.io called Lemonade Stand that shows how to use bitcore to do your own bitcoin payment acceptance. We intend to evolve that into BitPay's official free and community supported offering (listed on our pricing page). It doesn't cost BitPay anything if a merchant wants to process Bitcoin payments on their own, so we don't see that as any sort of detriment to our business. In fact, we see it as a way to get more people involved in the bitcoin economy, which helps our business.

Return to “Development & Technical Discussion”