Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
fluffypony
AMA
AMA

I'm Riccardo "fluffypony" Spagni of the Monero Core Team, Ask me anything!

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi everyone! I'm one of the Monero Core Team members, here today to let you ask me...well...anything!

Monero is a privacy-enhancing project that started life as a private alternative to Bitcoin, and has slowly been expanding to embrace other privacy concerns besides keeping financial transactions private. We want to be able to enhance online privacy for everyone, and hope to be able to do that.

Proof: https://twitter.com/fluffyponyza/status ... 9831894016

ibrightly

Re: I'm Riccardo "fluffypony" Spagni of the Monero Core Team, Ask me anything!

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Hey Riccardo - thanks for all the hard work on Monero.

One of the biggest concerns with altcoins (and Bitcoin, to a lesser extent) is keeping devs able to work on maintenance and improvement but still earn a living - no simple task. How do you find time to work on Monero vs whatever you do to pay the rent/mortgage?

Myagui
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 16nJr2opbr33meV8TgHTK4xZYaDQwrPmdh

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:45 pm

Q1: Do you think that Monero might ever claim the position of primary monetary instrument for privacy minded individuals and organizations?
(much like Tor and I2P are used as primary network stack for example)

Q2: Do you have long term plans concerning your particular collaboration in the Monero project or any other/new initiatives in the pipeline?
(other than MoneroDice & MyMonero)

Q3: How fluffy must a pony be, in order to earn a fluffypony badge?

Thank you for your work on Monero, but importantly, thank you to all other collaborators as well, you guys (and gals) rock! 8-)
freebitcoin < For Satoshis & Dogecoins > freedogecoin

Skin_in_the_game
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello Ricardo,

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
Having met or read about a few people in the bitcoin community, I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight their opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.)

I wanted to ask every participants to tell us a range of their bitcoins holdings rather than asking them their opinion on Bitcoin and its future. The first person asked told me the percentage of his net worth and liquid assets held in Bitcoins instead. He thought it was more relevant and I also think it feels less like an invasion of financial privacy so..

I realize you are working on a privacy focused Altcoin so this question might not be as relevant in your case but anyway...

So my question is:

- Which percentage of your net worth and/or liquid assets do you hold in Bitcoins ?

jwinterm

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:50 pm

I think the most pressing questions are:
How did you get the nickname fluffypony?
Are you actually a poofy equine?
Is it an IRL nickname also, or only on the internets pseudonym? Does your mom or your wife call you fluffy?

OK, now for the less important questions:
I think I heard someone mention that there wouldn't be any serious work on I2P integration until they (I2P) had a stable release, but looking at their wiki it says "I2P has had a stable release every six to eight weeks." So, does that mean there won't be any integration work until they release I2P v1.0 that is long term stable? Do you have any idea how far out on the horizon that might be?

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Hey Riccardo - thanks for all the hard work on Monero.

One of the biggest concerns with altcoins (and Bitcoin, to a lesser extent) is keeping devs able to work on maintenance and improvement but still earn a living - no simple task. How do you find time to work on Monero vs whatever you do to pay the rent/mortgage?
Personally, I'm privileged to have built up an import/export company with my wife, so that gives me a lot of time to focus on Monero and other projects. I'm currently building out several projects, besides MyMonero and MoneroDice, that will also help cover Monero development, so that's good.

In fact, most of colleagues on the core team are fortunate enough to be self-employed or to work for an employer that affords them enough free time, which we are immensely grateful for:)

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:02 pm

Q1: Do you think that Monero might ever claim the position of primary monetary instrument for privacy minded individuals and organizations?
(much like Tor and I2P are used as primary network stack for example)
It's hard to say - why has Tor and i2p become relatively successful, but Freenet is kinda dead? It could be timing or convenience features or a slew of other reasons. Maybe Monero will become extremely popular among those that are pro-privacy, but maybe Bitcoin + JoinMarket and similar will be "good enough" to fill that niche.

I'd like to see a world where Monero grows strong enough so that it provides a global, decentralised network of Monero nodes that are participating in all sorts of privacy initiatives (store-and-forward messaging, decentralised identity and trust, decentralised ecommerce, private asset ownership and trade), regardless of whether people use Monero-the-currency very much.
Q2: Do you have long term plans concerning your particular collaboration in the Monero project or any other/new initiatives in the pipeline?
(other than MoneroDice & MyMonero)
Yes - I have several projects up my sleeve that I'm working on. Almost all of them are services for both Monero and Bitcoin, as I don't believe that Bitcoin must fail for Monero to succeed (quite the opposite). A few of these projects are finally nearing completion, so hopefully there will be a few more product launches in the next couple of months!
Q3: How fluffy must a pony be, in order to earn a fluffypony badge?
If you can call yourself "hirsute" then you are officially fluffy enough to qualify! The good news is that fluffy people are more intelligent, it's scientifically proven: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/the-h ... 28285.html :)

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Hello Ricardo,

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
Having met or read about a few people in the bitcoin community, I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight their opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.)

I wanted to ask every participants to tell us a range of their bitcoins holdings rather than asking them their opinion on Bitcoin and its future. The first person asked told me the percentage of his net worth and liquid assets held in Bitcoins instead. He thought it was more relevant and I also think it feels less like an invasion of financial privacy so..

I realize you are working on a privacy focused Altcoin so this question might not be as relevant in your case but anyway...

So my question is:

- Which percentage of your net worth and/or liquid assets do you hold in Bitcoins ?
That's an excellent question, and your username is very relevant;)

I have about 80% of my net worth in Bitcoin, which may sound like a lot, but then again...I'm not worth that much;)

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:19 pm

I think the most pressing questions are:
How did you get the nickname fluffypony?
Are you actually a poofy equine?
Is it an IRL nickname also, or only on the internets pseudonym? Does your mom or your wife call you fluffy?
Truly these are the most important questions, and I'm glad you asked.

*serious face*

I was christened fluffypony many years ago at a work function, a team-building weekend, by two of the sales ladies in the office. Needless to say, this happened after we had imbibed several beverages of the alcoholic variety. Contrary to popular belief, I am not actually Equus ferus caballus, falling more on the Homo sapiens sapiens side of the scale.

It is an IRL nick as well. We have quite a staunch neighbourhood watch group here, of which I am a part, and all my fellow responders and patrol buddies often call me fluffypony or fluffy. My mom calls me "Ric", for the most part, and my wife calls me "hun", but since she's normally calling me from the other side of the house it's more like "huuuuuuuuuuuuuuun".
OK, now for the less important questions:
I think I heard someone mention that there wouldn't be any serious work on I2P integration until they (I2P) had a stable release, but looking at their wiki it says "I2P has had a stable release every six to eight weeks." So, does that mean there won't be any integration work until they release I2P v1.0 that is long term stable? Do you have any idea how far out on the horizon that might be?
The issue wasn't if I2P in general was stable, the Java router is definitely stable enough. The issue was that we didn't want to add Java as a dependency for running Monero, so our focus has been on a C++ implementation of the I2P router. Expect a big announcement on this in the next couple of weeks:)

2manycoins

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:28 pm

What color are your socks?

On this missives, you and gingeropolous have a good time. Shouldn't you take being a core dev more seriously? The bitcoin core devs always sounds serious when they talk.

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:32 pm

What color are your socks?
I'm wearing slops (flip flops)...so...uh...skin colour?
On this missives, you and gingeropolous have a good time. Shouldn't you take being a core dev more seriously? The bitcoin core devs always sounds serious when they talk.
I believe that if you can't laugh about things you'll never get anything done:) Plus how boring would the Missives be if it was just us rambling on for 2.5 hours, nobody would listen to it!

mmortal03

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi fluffypony,

When are you going to join the Bitcoin Uncensored podcast? Every week, junseth talks smack about Monero. It's time to set the record straight. Thanks!

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:31 pm

Hi fluffypony,

When are you going to join the Bitcoin Uncensored podcast? Every week, junseth talks smack about Monero. It's time to set the record straight. Thanks!
They did ask if I wanted to be on the show, and I said yes, they must email me, but to date I've heard nothing...see comments here: https://soundcloud.com/bitcoinuncensore ... cts-102515

pa_

Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:44 pm

1. Why use Monero instead of Bitcoin? Bitcoin is much more accepted and liquid.

2. Why use Monero instead of Dash or Zerocoin/Zerocash? Aren't they just as private?

3. When will my grandma be able to use Monero?

avgeca
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:04 pm

heya, very cool and much needed AMA, puts a bit of faith back into bitcoin.com :)

my first question: what would be your personal top 3 services to accept monero?
Why Monero is the future for DNM - Privacy matters - protect yourself!

freetrader
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks for working on Monero, it's awesome!

From where I'm sitting, in the last few days since the Paris massacre, there has been what seems like a concerted media onslaught against cryptocurrencies. Couple of questions related to this:

What technical possibilities are there at the moment for Monero to overcome a "hostile" Internet infrastructure, e.g. operation over dark nets?

Do you think we should worry about what may come to pass through ignorant or malicious legislators?

How many of the core developer team are prepared to continue working on Monero even if it is banned?

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:04 pm

I know this may be "too" much information but I'll ask anyway...

What OS do you use that you believe is "safe" and "secure" enough to run Monero on to avoid any type of possible key loggers/malware preinstalled or susceptible to be installed over time?

What hardware/computer model/type do you use?

What precauctions/methods do you take in generating monero keys in a secure manner?

psilyrabbit

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:41 am

Can Monero be co-opted by bitcoin via side chain?

XMRpromotions

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:56 am

You have been a very approachable developer. What percentage of your time would you estimate you spend on
1. Monero
2. Monero related businesses (MyMonero, MoneroDice plus the others you are developing)
3. Answering questions from the Monero community

Of the above three what do you enjoy the most?

What part of being on the Monero Core team do you dislike the most?

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:49 am

1. Why use Monero instead of Bitcoin? Bitcoin is much more accepted and liquid.
Why does it have to be one or the other? Services like ShapeShift and xmr.to already provide low-cost, low-slippage rails between the two, and sidechain-like pegs will allow for even more fluidity between cryptocurrencies. Bitcoin isn't going away, and neither is Monero, so it's important to figure out which is good for particular purposes.
2. Why use Monero instead of Dash or Zerocoin/Zerocash? Aren't they just as private?
Whilst not wanting to turn this into a this-currency-vs-that-currency debate, I will answer this, as I think it's important to understand the proverbial lay of the land.

Designing a cryptographically sound solution to a privacy problem is seriously difficult. As Greg Maxwell puts it, "information wants to be free", and the weakness will always be the human element. The more heavily reliant your scheme is on the opsec of participants, the more prone to leaks it will be. Coupled with this is the problem of "thinking adversarially", which is something that goes deeply against our human nature. To illustrate how flawed our human reasoning is when we try to think adversarially: if a Bitcoin node can only connect to 8 peers, how many of those have to be honest for the node to determine which ones are dishonest? As a human you might reason "well, if 4 are honest, and 4 are dishonest but telling the same lie, it can't tell which is honest, so the answer has to be 5". Or maybe you'd reason that dishonest peers will mostly be telling different lies, so if eat least 2 agree then they must be the honest ones...right? The actual answer is 1. It only needs 1 honest peer to be able to determine that the rest are dishonest. This is because it follows the "longest chain with valid PoW" rule, and can rule out all other nodes as offering dishonest chains. Now knowing that most of us are so incapable of designing such an elegant solution, and our minds resort to broken and hacky things like "voting", we should immediately be suspicious of any and all new systems and schemes. This is especially true where they are promising something as sensitive as privacy, and where there is money to be made (pretty much unique to altcoins, no new open-source reverse proxy or database or other project has the potential to make money for its creator).

Dash fails because, as djb describes in this excellent recent article, they have an "attacker economist" approach. In other words, instead of purposely designing their systems to be cryptographically sound so that the "attacker will definitely fail" or the "attacker will probably fail", they instead (unwittingly?) design it so that "the attacker's expected cost of carrying out an attack exceeds the attacker's expected benefit from doing so." The unfortunate knock-on effect is that such an approach only works like that for a limited time...as the value of the cryptocurrency grows, so does the level of sophistication of the attackers that find it an interesting target. Trying to solve the privacy problems in a way that relies on the honesty and opsec of a small group of individuals is simply privacy theatre, no different from those that claim that Bitcoin is private as long as there's no address reuse.

On the other end of the scale is ZeroCoin, which is about as sophisticated as you can get, and in my opinion represents the future of cryptocurrency systems. In fact, it's sophistication is also its largest problem: the cryptography behind it needs a significant amount of peer review, and and implementation needs a significant amount of vetting, else you may end up with an exploitable bug where someone can double spend, or create a large number of coins, and nobody will be able to see it. In my mind I would need to give it 20-30 years before I could trust it with my livelihood.
3. When will my grandma be able to use Monero?
I'm intensely interested in the user experience, and in marrying something that is secure and cryptographically sound to an interface that is intuitive and rich. However, I also realise that this will likely require some security and privacy compromises. For example: when you use Monero you get a 25 word mnemonic that is your backup key for your wallet. Since 25 words might seem daunting for a "grandma-grade" product, a very simple Monero interface might eschew that for a shorter mnemonic, which is what MyMonero does. This is a compromise, as the shorter mnemonic is "less secure" (128-bit vs. the 256-bit entropy of the 25 word mnemonic), but that sort of compromise is just fine for 99% of the user base. As long as the remaining 1% can flip a switch and work with a longer mnemonic, or even work without a mnemonic at all (randomly generated private keys instead of deterministically generated), that is a compromise that can be made.

To get Monero to grandma levels of usability is going to take a monumental amount of effort, and it will have to be done in a way that doesn't alienate or preclude our power-users...but I believe it is doable, and I believe that Monero can only be of benefit if it becomes useful and used by as many people as possible, even if they're using it for other privacy related means and not as a cryptocurrency.

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:10 pm

heya, very cool and much needed AMA, puts a bit of faith back into bitcoin.com :)

my first question: what would be your personal top 3 services to accept monero?
1. I'd love to be able to buy or rent media / software with Monero. No advertiser should be able to tell what movies I'm streaming / downloading, what TV series I'm interested in, or anything like that. At the same time, I acknowledge that movies and music and TV series and software all cost money to make, so "cord cutting" and then using Sonarr / CouchPotato is not terribly helpful. I think that a private medium of exchange, like Monero, could be applied to something like this.

2. There's also a general inability for me to reward content creators. How come I can't send a tiny reward to someone who writes a helpful blog post, or answers a StackExchange question, or spends time replying to a thread on Reddit? There are all these disparate systems, but nothing that ties them together or that provides a single platform for small, private contributions to be sent to content creators.

3. Mechanical Turk would be another platform I'd like to see Monero on, but I think that's a situation where Amazon is more likely to reinvent Monero's wheel than use something that already works:-P

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:15 am

Thanks for working on Monero, it's awesome!
Pleasure:)
From where I'm sitting, in the last few days since the Paris massacre, there has been what seems like a concerted media onslaught against cryptocurrencies. Couple of questions related to this:

What technical possibilities are there at the moment for Monero to overcome a "hostile" Internet infrastructure, e.g. operation over dark nets?
We are deep in the process of integrating I2P, which will provide the infrastructure necessary to operate in such a hostile environment. Currently I2P supports two transports: a TCP transport, and a UDP based SSU transport. At a later stage as our work on I2P matures we will look at introducing a transport that appears to be legitimate HTTPS traffic, which will help in overly hostile environments.
Do you think we should worry about what may come to pass through ignorant or malicious legislators?
Monero is committed to providing the tooling and infrastructure necessary to protect individual privacy, and we are one of many such projects. If individuals find it trivial to use the tools that protect their privacy, and their user experience isn't compromised, then there is no doubt that they will use them. And if hundreds of thousands of users are using such tools, legislation will be exceedingly difficult in most countries.
How many of the core developer team are prepared to continue working on Monero even if it is banned?
It would depend on the type of ban. Monero's viewkey is the perfect tool to calm legislators - they can "demand" that citizens hand over their viewkey. Given this, it is unlikely that there will be a massive global ban on Monero. But, on the off chance that there is, only two of the five core team members (myself and David Latapie) are not pseudonymous, the rest practicing opsec to a greater or lesser degree. Over and above that, of the 30 or so active contributors we have, quite a few of them remain shielded behind a pseudonym, so they too are somewhat protected.

Personally, I'd probably continue working on Monero unless doing so was made illegal in South Africa...in which case I'd have to convince my wife to move somewhere where it is legal:)

vanderi

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi,

Taking a step back and looking at the picture as a whole, what do you think are the top moments with Monero so far? Memorable experiences in general? Technical advancements?
And in regards to the foreseeable future, couple of years at the most, what do you think will make the upcoming milestones and successes there?

What is your thoughts on how the alternate economy landscape will look in, say 3-4 years? And where will Monero be then?

Thanks

Randy

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:20 pm

Are you worried about the Bytecoin history (BCN blockchain fabrication etc) negatively effecting monero adoption in the future?

Can the great tech of cryptonote be separated completely from the dubious origins of bytecoin, marketing wise?

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:58 pm

I know this may be "too" much information but I'll ask anyway...

What OS do you use that you believe is "safe" and "secure" enough to run Monero on to avoid any type of possible key loggers/malware preinstalled or susceptible to be installed over time?
Assuming you're talking about a device that is going to be connected to the Internet...I'd lean towards OpenBSD or FreeBSD, with your wallet running in a jail. Security isn't a single effort, though, so you'd need to constantly maintain that box, and spend time educating yourself on new risks and attack vectors.
What hardware/computer model/type do you use?
99% of what I do is not terribly sensitive, so I run OS X on a MacBook Pro Retina with full disk encryption. I take reasonable precautions (running Little Snitch, for instance), but I accept that a sophisticated attacker could compromise my machine with some effort.

The remaining 1% happens on a Novena that dual boots between Debian and OpenBSD. The only reason I don't run OpenBSD only on the Novena is because it has some unresolved issues / things that don't work 110%, but it's getting there.
What precauctions/methods do you take in generating monero keys in a secure manner?
I won't ever generate a wallet just after a fresh install, and I prefer to use a hardware entropy device (which is probably overkill, but hey). I use a Simtec Entropy Key, but I also have a OneRNG that I was fortunate enough to preorder.

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:21 am

Can Monero be co-opted by bitcoin via side chain?
Well, there are two considerations when talking about Monero and sidechains:

1. We purposely don't want our security model to rely on Bitcoin's. That's not to say that we don't think that Bitcoin will be a success, quite the opposite, but we want there to at least be a stable, relatively secure alternative in the event of a catastrophic failure of Bitcoin or if Bitcoin's use no longer becomes palatable for various reasons.

2. We don't want to have our exchange rate locked in to be relative to Bitcoin. What I mean is: there will always be a BTC / XMR market, but there will also (presumably) be USD / XMR, ZAR / XMR, etc. markets. If we had to "become" a sidechain then those markets would, by and large, not need exist.

That said, we are very interested in providing at least a one-way peg from Bitcoin to Monero. Going the other way around isn't that easy right now (even with psztorc's Drivechain scheme), but that's also a possibility in future. If done carefully this can provide a low-slippage rail between the two cryptocurrencies, whilst not affecting trader's markets.

fluffypony
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:54 am

You have been a very approachable developer. What percentage of your time would you estimate you spend on
1. Monero
2. Monero related businesses (MyMonero, MoneroDice plus the others you are developing)
3. Answering questions from the Monero community

Of the above three what do you enjoy the most?

What part of being on the Monero Core team do you dislike the most?

I spend anything form 10 - 16 hours a day working at the moment, by necessity and much to my wife's great chagrin:) Most of that is Monero related, although I try to err on the side of spending more time on cryptocurrency related businesses, as that's what will give me the ability to continue to spend time on Monero. If I had to divvy it up I'd say:

1. Monero core development projects, 3-5 hours a day
2. Monero related businesses, 6-10 hours a day
3. Answering questions, reading articles / posts by the Monero community, engaging with the community on IRC, 2-4 hours a day

Of those three I probably enjoy the engagement the most, but the reward when you finally get something important working is also unparalleled.

The part I dislike the most is that my criticism of anything now gets written off as "FUD" or "attacking another project", which is ridiculous. When you consider it, I am most familiar with cryptocurrency related ideas and systems, and I am even more familiar with privacy-related cryptocurrency ideas and systems. It stands to reason that I would generally leverage praise or criticism on "competing" products only because that's my wheelbase. But everyone operates in a vacuum and assumes that criticism is because I'm "threatened" by "their" project, whilst simultaneously ignoring (or misquoting!!) the praise I give. Unfortunately, in doing so, they only hurt their users, and if you aren't trying to protect your user's privacy and ensure the security of their funds then you should not be touching cryptocurrency development.

vanderi

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:01 pm

One more question please

What´s the development plan of i2p integration? I saw you have a project called kovri on github?

Thanks again

damienfarley

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:52 am

Hi riccardo..sent you an email...need to talk about amy idea that I have that could change things forever...please get back to me...cheers

miffman
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 19GFXUea9mFGeTiWpGaQWFiazuH3koCnsZ

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Do you ever to conference talks or similar here in SA? :D I see some talks about BTC and ETH but never XMR.

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”