mjglqw
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 13cj1xgP4bdK567NDgjyXLZEQLmZszSzEa

John McAfee: Mixing smartphones and Bitcoin will leave cryptocurrency in 'absolute chaos'

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:46 am

"Some people have hundreds of thousands of dollars on their smartphone wallet. And I tell them – if you give me your phone number, in five minutes I will transfer all of your Bitcoins into my account," he said. And I can prove it, its trivial."
src: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/john-mcafee-mi ... os-1590714

Uhh.. not sure about that John. That's just being really delusional.

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: John McAfee: Mixing smartphones and Bitcoin will leave cryptocurrency in 'absolute chaos'

Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:25 pm

I second that

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Re: John McAfee: Mixing smartphones and Bitcoin will leave cryptocurrency in 'absolute chaos'

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:03 pm

"Some people have hundreds of thousands of dollars on their smartphone wallet. And I tell them – if you give me your phone number, in five minutes I will transfer all of your Bitcoins into my account," he said. And I can prove it, its trivial."

John McAffee is a really smart man with years of wisdom, he is definitely on your side in regards to technology. It is quite easy to compromise an iPhone, and if you hold hundreds of thousands of BTC on it, your funds are at risk. Best to keep little funding on your phone.

Here, again, his wisdom is quite valuable, this is inevitable:
"I don't know if it will be Bitcoin or multiples [of different currencies] but there will be a cryptocurrency standard for the world whether governments like it or not. And the fact is, it will be difficult to find out where money is flowing from and to, therefore making it difficult to collect taxes- they will have to get used to it.

"There will have to be some other mode of collecting taxes, whether its a tariff on the use of national parks or the use of the roads – I don't have a clue – that's the government's problem and not mine. But it's coming and it will change the culture of this world."

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

piebeyb
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EsWXN3VcBb2rRenMBYd4V3WTfiZxaaiK3

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:08 pm

lol, why should ask for the phone number if it really can be done without a phone number :)
a joke if there robber wanted to steal the car but he asked for the car keys to someone and say "I want to steal your car"
Image Tip me BCH : qzahl4e8mqy5se6sdnc6j24mv4vtdtlpv5jmnhsw3n

rendravolt
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 13T2aPdsiVtupF4XKScDhJ6RKrwyqNAVoT

Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:13 pm

The news is still inviting polemic.

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:50 pm

https://youtu.be/LH8Nos-ml0k

John McAfee: The Only Way To Secure Your Bitcoins (The Cryptoverse #141)
The Cryptoverse
Published at youtube on Nov 10, 2016

Lilypanama24
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 13XWgUqTWCLyNiQD7EGGhB7KwT7SYcqpta

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:23 pm

He is right in the sense that mobile or online wallets are not the most secure storage methods. Backing up your own encrypted cold storage would be the best security method. He is exaggerating about hacking their Vitcoins with just their phone number.
Editor of BitcoinMXN, Contact Mefor PR or Advertising Opportunities

English & Spanish Copywriting Services

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 am

I hope this won't be possible with his new phone:
http://www.techspot.com/news/69127-john ... phone.html

Looks really good, I will be hoping to get one.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

Rmcdermott927
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Thu May 18, 2017 12:28 pm

First off, if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars on your phone wallet, that's on you if they get stolen. It goes against best practices that just about every expert recommends.

Use a hardened wallet like armory, or get a hardware wallet like Trezor to keep your coins safe. Utilize paper storage as well.

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”