rizzlarolla
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: The forum.bitcoin.com 4btc giveaway has started!

Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:49 pm

I don't like it.

"not many of the bitcoin.com staff are well know on this forum yet so any decision could possibly be left open to speculation,"
How so? staff should be able to act fairly and therefore be able to counter any objections with reason and fact.
I would actually WANT to see staff make a decision, to set an example.
Roger should lead his staff on this.

If the "weakest" of the 16 nominee's (up from 10 nominee's) was to limp in, that may cause more problems.
(are there even 16 nominations atm?)

The problem of finding the right winner stems from the size of the prize.?
4 btc is MASSIVE. Too massive, with such a drop to second prize.

How about changing the prize distribution? I can't imagine many objection to that, not many can realistically think they will win? (yup, even me!)
Ten prizes - 2btc, 1btc, 0.5btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, and the 2 other prizes.

(the rules need sorting out quickly. they should be solid already - i'm getting twitchy :lol: i was going to post on bct tonight about this comp to encourage entries but i can't now! )

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 pm

I don't like it.

"not many of the bitcoin.com staff are well know on this forum yet so any decision could possibly be left open to speculation,"
How so? staff should be able to act fairly and therefore be able to counter any objections with reason and fact.
I would actually WANT to see staff make a decision, to set an example.
Roger should lead his staff on this.
Staff can act fairly and can indeed counter any objections with reason and fact but having to defend the reasons why a certain post was picked would ultimately be a waste of everybody's time, and could potentially result in unnecessary animosity / some posters feeling hard done by. If staff pick a certain post in accordance with the 'winner' rules as they currently stand that will be that - any objections by anybody who feels that a certain post should not have been selected, though they are certainly welcome to voice their opinion about it, would be largely irrelevant (as the giveaway will have been conducted in accordance with the rules as they currently stand).

However, if the blockchain is used to pick the winner then all such arguments and objections become moot and it negates the potential for animosity, feeling hard done by and possible cries of foul play.

Roger is an incredibly busy man; I've never seen somebody dedicate literally all of their time and energy into something the way Roger dedicates his time and energy into Bitcoin. This is why delegation is necessary in large organisations such as Bitcoin.com. As a result bitkilo takes point here on the forum and I assist where necessary in an Administrator capacity. Both myself and Roger have complete faith in bitkilo's ability to act responsibly in accordance with our policies here on the Bitcoin Forum, and complete faith in his ability to counter any objections that any poster might have to our selection of any post to win the giveaway. However, utilising the blockchain removes any potential problems and makes for a smoother process overall. Posts still get picked by the community on their own merits but instead of staff choosing the ultimate winners of the 3 final very deserving posts, it becomes a game of chance in a true giveaway fashion. If those 3 posts are of similar caliber, which presumably they will be, then I cannot see the problem in allowing the blockchain to be the ultimate decider.
The problem of finding the right winner stems from the size of the prize.?
4 btc is MASSIVE. Too massive, with such a drop to second prize.

How about changing the prize distribution? I can't imagine many objection to that, not many can realistically think they will win? (yup, even me!)
Ten prizes - 2btc, 1btc, 0.5btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, 0.1btc, and the 2 other prizes.
The prize was set at 4 BTC and changing it now will inevitably lead to cries of false advertising, going back on our word, etc. It is simply not possible to please 100% of people 100% of the time, and thus the prizes will remain as advertised.
(the rules need sorting out quickly. they should be solid already - i'm getting twitchy :lol: i was going to post on bct tonight about this comp to encourage entries but i can't now! )
I agree with you completely, rizzlarolla, and that the rules are somewhat up in the air at the moment is largely my fault - I will dedicate some time in the next day to rectify this.

Fremont

Intriguing
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 18GLWKEbGunnGGxi54TtgUht9syDD61zJi

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Now i know this may not be liked by all but I would like to propose that we make a change to how the final winners of this competition will be chosen. Please note that no changes will be made unless the majority of our members involved agree on this proposal.

At present the rules are set for the competition to close for new nominations on the 1st of March 2017, once closed we would run a public poll for our members to vote for their top 10 threads on the list.
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize winners from that list of 10 would then chosen by the bitcoin.com staff in a public vote.

The only change i am proposing to the above set up is that instead of relying the bitcoin.com staff to vote for the winners why don't we just let the blockchain decide the winners of the competition.
The main reason i propose making this change is that not many of the bitcoin.com staff are well know on this forum yet so any decision could possibly be left open to speculation, if we let a block hash decide the winner then nobody could argue that the competition was rigged.

How this would work is that we would now require our members to vote for the top 16 from all the nominated threads received by the cut off date, those 16 threads would then be randomly given a spot between 0 - 9 and a to f. Once the slots are assigned to the top 16 threads and posted on the forum we will use the last character from the next block mined by the bitcoin.com mining pool to select the winner, the same would then happen for the 2nd and 3rd prize winners.

Please remember that at this stage this is only a proposal i have to make the competition as fair as possible for all involved.
If any member here has questions or concerns on the above please post them here for discussion, thank you.

Regards: bitkilo.

I love the suggestion of the blockchain picking the winners but instead of 16 which is way to many it will be only 3 threads and the 3 owners of the threads get to choose their endings of the hash.

Rizzlarollas suggestion of multiple prizes was one that I stated awhile back and it definitely is a suggestion I fully back but as fremont stated it will not be possible, though there will definitely be more people satisfied with multiple prizes.

I mean even 1btc prizes for the top 4 posts and 2 consolation prizes below is great.
But as that doesn't seem possible my suggestion is the top 3 thread owners to choose their hash endings.
Checkout blender.io It is the latest bitcoin mixer available

rizzlarolla
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:40 pm

I love the suggestion of the blockchain picking the winners but instead of 16 which is way to many it will be only 3 threads and the 3 owners of the threads get to choose their endings of the hash.

Rizzlarollas suggestion of multiple prizes was one that I stated awhile back and it definitely is a suggestion I fully back but as fremont stated it will not be possible, though there will definitely be more people satisfied with multiple prizes.

I mean even 1btc prizes for the top 4 posts and 2 consolation prizes below is great.
But as that doesn't seem possible my suggestion is the top 3 thread owners to choose their hash endings.
That is a good compromise, less finalists with multiple hashes.

I don't see why the prizes "can't" be adjusted (if other rules can) - as long as the total fund is intact and the first first prize remains "big".
More people will probably feel they have a chance and try?

Intriguing
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:54 pm

That is a good compromise, less finalists with multiple hashes.

I don't see why the prizes "can't" be adjusted (if other rules can) - as long as the total fund is intact and the first first prize remains "big".
More people will probably feel they have a chance and try?
That is definitely true I mean imagine if your a small scale article writer like me I found this forum through this contest most people like me wouldn't even bother, its 1 large prize and most likely several well developed writers will be after it what's the chance I got?

The more prizes there are the more people will want to try and get a chance to win, I would definitely like to win the 4btc but at the current state of the competition its so unlikely.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Just a quick count shows that we only have 20 threads nominated from 7 different users so far, come on guys pick up the pace! :)
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 18VCRXN7VLrBujpCk5WA9U45CyeQDx3rPA

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:31 am

I would like to enter.... myself.... ( I feel like a dog licking its balls) for the competition.

topic16927.html

rizzlarolla
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:54 pm

^^^ yeah, good post Thetamind :D ^^^

----------------
I agree with you completely, rizzlarolla, and that the rules are somewhat up in the air at the moment is largely my fault - I will dedicate some time in the next day to rectify this.
Fremont
That's 2 day's now Fremon, please update..

"i was going to post on bct tonight about this comp to encourage entries but i can't now!" - that still applies for me.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:08 am

^^^ yeah, good post Thetamind :D ^^^

----------------
Fremont
That's 2 day's now Fremon, please update..

"i was going to post on bct tonight about this comp to encourage entries but i can't now!" - that still applies for me.
The problem here is that everybody involved in this forum also has other duties within bitcoin.com to work on and sometimes the forum issues get put aside for more important tasks.

Although i am the lead moderator on the forum i cannot make decisions regarding competition rules by myself because it is not my money to giveaway, i will make contact with Freemont now and see if we can get these rules sorted before the weekend is over.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 am

I'd like to nominate another of my threads for the competition...

beginners-help/my-bitcoin-story-t16982.html

are you guys seriously going to give away 4btc? I'll hire a staff of bloggers to post great content! lol just kidding, but damn.

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:17 pm

annnnd I'm back!

post46646.html#p46642

Another for the nomination please :)

arenwan

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Le6urE4Lgd4YpAtQLhe8MTGyvDa5NCV4y

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:34 am

mmm interesting 8-)

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:55 am

annnnd I'm back!

post46646.html#p46642

Another for the nomination please :)
Your 2 threads have been added to the list, you can nominate 3 more before the close off date if you wish.

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 am

You can count on that lol A 4 btc giveaway, with little to no competition.... sign me up! I could really use that money, and it's rising every day... 1060USD right now it's crazy! I only have 430 dollars invested in bitcoin, because, it's all I can afford! So, I just can't believe this competition is real, and no one is here.... It's weird....but ..... 4btc.... yes please!

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 am

The thread written in English will be entered but i don't think that they will get any votes, sorry.

I get the feeling that English is most likely not your first language and these threads are extremely hard to understand.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:04 pm

The thread written in English will be entered but i don't think that they will get any votes, sorry.

I get the feeling that English is most likely not your first language and these threads are extremely hard to understand.
It seems to me that he's using a translator. There are some Indonesian words that it has missed out on, and the wording is just horrible. Some words wouldn't even make sense, I doubt they are in the slightest bit related.
theres a snake in my boot

OgNasty
AMA
AMA

Donate BTC of your choice to 1NastyFRkeUTmMdbMmzggDVTQA6r3ibUoX

Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:05 am

Updated entry in new post...
Last edited by OgNasty on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBits-old
Banned
Banned

Donate BTC of your choice to 12jenhYCr6faZCwv1QC6HKinL6mRVSrDVC

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:53 am

:D Hello everyone I want to submit my entry in this contest:

How we will fight and controlled forum spammers?

Goodluck to all.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:01 am

I have finally been given the go ahead to post the rules to this competition, so here they are.

* Forum members can submit a maximum of 5 threads/posts each for the competition, they may include their own threads if they wish.
* The nominated posts entered into the competition can be from any of the boards on the forum.
* Moderators and bitcoin.com staff are not be eligible to enter.
* Members can only win one prize each.
* All winners will be selected from blocks mined by the bitcoin.com mining pool.
* Entry to the competition will close once we have 50 threads/posts nominated or by the 1st of March, which ever is sooner. Once the competition has closed for new nominations we will start a public vote to bring this down to the top 4, when the top 4 threads/posts have been selected we will be letting the blockchain decide the winner from the final hash character of the next block mined by the bitcoin.com mining pool.

The members who have threads in the top 4 will be given 4 characters each at random from 0 to f, an example of this is show below;

0 - Member B
1 - Member C
2 - Member B
3 - Member A
4 - Member D
5 - Member A
6 - Member C
7 - Member A
8 - Member D
9 - Member B
a - Member C
d - Member A
c - Member D
d - Member C
e - Member D
f - Member B

* If the final hash from the next block mined by the bitcoin.com mining pool is 9 then Member B would win 1st prize, same will happen for 2nd, 3rd and 4th prizes.

The 4 prizes on offer for this competition are as follows:

1st Prize: 4 Bitcoins Directly sent to the bitcoin address of your choice!
2nd Prize: A Trezor hardware wallet that has been generous been donated by Satoshi Labs.
3rd Prize: The winner can choose between a Bit-X White edition, worth $99.95 or If they'd rather not have to supply ID they can choose to claim a free Anonymous card, worth $34.95.
4th Prize: The winner can choose between the t-shirt of their choice or a "luck bag" of mixed bitcoin goodies from The Bitcoin Store

If any members have questions about the posted rules to this competition feel free to ask them here, i will answer them as best as possible.

Good luck to all :)

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 am

My 5 official nominations are these 5

beginners-help/a-no-bs-way-to-get-start ... 17062.html

post47409.html#p47409

post47355.html#p47355

beginners-help/the-smoking-gun-of-the-f ... 17137.html

beginners-help/why-bitcoin-will-change- ... 16927.html

I am running out of time to write more threads at the moment, because I am heading out of town. The 5 threads I've just posted are my official nominations, if there are any others besides those 5 nominated by me, scratch them off the list please. Thank you and good luck to all who enter.

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:57 am

Also, one question.... how long do we have for the public to vote? how do threads get eliminated down to the final 4?

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:25 am

Eh... Still hooked on that lottery system? This is a competition, and it should have a community chosen winner, not a "lucky" one.

Intriguing
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:12 am

Love the current rules :), if it gets down to me and 3 other people I will be happy if I can take that 4btc cake xD. Good luck

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:30 am

I say, since theres 4 BTC, and 4 competitors..... 1st gets 2btc, 2nd gets 1 btc, 3rd gets .75 btc, and 4th gets .25 btc. I mean come on, .25 btc is still 250 USD..... 1st gets the trezor too, 2nd gets the card, and 3rd gets the shirt / raffle, and 4th just gets 0.25 btc. Does anyone else think this is more fair and sensible?

I mean, theres a few good articles written here, that to say 1 is worth sooooo much more than another is kinda crazy! I've spent many hours writing the articles ive written. Sadly, theres not many people in this forum to actually read them, it's kind of frustrating, it's hard to have appreciated posts, if theres no one to appreciate them! That's why I posted in beginners and help mainly, to hopefully help newbies out and get them more involved. But instead, mostly crickets! Where is everyone? Sigh, well I can't say I haven't tried!

Intriguing
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:33 am

I say, since theres 4 BTC, and 4 competitors..... 1st gets 2btc, 2nd gets 1 btc, 3rd gets .75 btc, and 4th gets .25 btc. I mean come on, .25 btc is still 250 USD..... 1st gets the trezor too, 2nd gets the card, and 3rd gets the shirt / raffle, and 4th just gets 0.25 btc. Does anyone else think this is more fair and sensible?

I mean, theres a few good articles written here, that to say 1 is worth sooooo much more than another is kinda crazy! I've spent many hours writing the articles ive written. Sadly, theres not many people in this forum to actually read them, it's kind of frustrating, it's hard to have appreciated posts, if theres no one to appreciate them! That's why I posted in beginners and help mainly, to hopefully help newbies out and get them more involved. But instead, mostly crickets! Where is everyone? Sigh, well I can't say I haven't tried!
That's a nice suggestion but as you look at the previous replies by fremont they really don't want to break up the 4btc prize, which is confusing by my standards but I guess that's how it is. I myself spent quite a while making my threads and gathered a few replies on them nothing much but its heartening.

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:12 pm

Yeah I think this forum was a little busier a few months back before I joined. Since I've joined, I watch the main forum page, and sometimes it's hours and hours between posts. Breaking up the 4btc makes sense. That's a big chunk of change to win. Also, I'd like to point out that some of the threads that have been nominated, are from users that' haven't been active since 2015. I think that if they want to qualify in the competition, they should be active within the last 60 days at least.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Yep, some of your threads are really great. There's been a little more posting, most probably due to the giveaway recently, which is always great.

I would say give the 1st person 2 BTC only, and give the trezor to the 2nd person along with the 1 BTC.

Because from the way we are picking the winners, it's a lottery, not necessarily ranked from best to worst. This means that there really is no reason to have a "best" prize, or at least one that is significantly larger than the others.

rizzlarolla
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm

I've spent many hours writing the articles ive written. Sadly, theres not many people in this forum to actually read them, it's kind of frustrating, it's hard to have appreciated posts, if theres no one to appreciate them!
I get ya, it can be frustrating for all of us. I did give you some positive comment previously.
But c'mon... all 5 "final nominations" to yourself? Share a little!

BTW. I had thought i was appreciated here (26 rep in over a year) until i saw Roger Ver give you 10 rep for basically saying this comp was stupid.
Now, in your couple of weeks here, you are as, or more, reputed as me?
Also, in all my time here, (i have written some highly viewed threads) i have earned only 2 rep that i can give to other members! Makes it very hard to show my appreciation of, or give encouragement to other members!
This is a competition, and it should have a community chosen winner, not a "lucky" one.
I'm with you decoded, as previously discussed here.
Last edited by rizzlarolla on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thetamind
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:53 pm

I would share, but since first prize is so big of a gap, its kind of like shooting myself in the foot to nominate someone else isn't it?

I say we all strike a deal, whoever wins the 4 btc, gives 0.5 btc to the other 3 winners.

so the 1st place winners gets 2.5 btc.....I'll honor that if everyone else agrees to do the same?

How's that for sharing?

Return to “The Forum”