Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

[GUIDE] Troubleshooting Full Client

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:27 am

Haven't we all, when starting off on our bitcoin adventure, installed a full bitcoin client (Bitcoin Unlimited, Bitcoin Core, Bitcoin Classic, etc) and come face-to-face with a multitude of problems, from security to syncing issues. This thread is to tackle as many of them as possible.

My wallet was syncing , then it just stopped.

This could be due to a lack of system resources. In my time running and working on some bitcoin nodes, I found that if you didn't have more than 2 GB of ram, Bitcoind would just freeze at a certain block, and I had to restart the sync to get anywhere.

It could also be a newly-placed network restriction, either by an anti-virus or a firewall.

I just installed my wallet and received a payment to my bitcoin address. Why isn't it showing up?

Also, if your client says "x days, y years behind" / "block x of y" / "catching up"

Full bitcoin clients require a download of the whole bitcoin blockchain. At the moment, it's size is almost 100 gigabytes. At my current download speed at home of 1.5 MB/s (Yes, for some of you that get over 100 MB/s, I know it's slow) it will take more than a day of non-stop syncing, which will take up all of your bandwidth. If you just installed bitcoin core, then you will have to sync. If you don't want to go through this draining process, try using a SPV wallet like Electrum, which instead of looking through local blockchain files to find transactions, looks through the files of other computers on the bitcoin network.

My client is not syncing/0 peers connected

This means that your bitcoin client cannot connect to any other computers in the network. Either because your firewall is blocking the port (8833), or your client simply is bugging out. If it's the latter, try manually adding nodes by going into your bitcoin.conf file in your roaming folder, and putting in addnode=**INSERT IP HERE**. Then restart your bitcoin client.

If the former, try allowing it in your system firewall or allowing it in your antivirus. I don't advise turning any of them off, even for a moment.

My client is not opening!

It may be that you have an existing client open in the background, and a RPC program is running on it (like a bot or a mining software). Try closing any windows you aren't using or try restarting your computer.

My client is stuck at "Shutting down"!

There are many possibilities this error could be due to. From simple lack of system resources which amounts to shutting down taking a long while, to a corrupted database. Most likely it is the latter. But just in case, always wait an hour or so before force shutting down the application. Then re-open it and reindex the wallet.

You can do this by:

- (Windows) Shift-right clicking the folder where bitcoin-qt resides in, then typing "bitcoin-qt.exe -reindex"
- (OSX/Linux-based distros) Opening terminal (preferably in the directory that the application resides in; navigate using the cd command), then typing "bitcoind -reindex"

I don't use a full bitcoin wallet anymore. Please help out the thread by proposing your own questions, which will be answered by the community and put in the OP!

If you liked this post or found it informative and educational, don't hesitate to give me a big thumbs up below! Thanks!
Tips go here: 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK
theres a snake in my boot

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

Re: [GUIDE] Troubleshooting Full Client

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Added another problem!

Please feel free to submit your own guys!
theres a snake in my boot

Return to “Technical Support”