kalliste

Sent small amount of BTC to someone and it sent the whole lot to change address. Help

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:39 pm

So, yesterday I did a transfer of a small amount of BTC to someone else. I used a QR code from their wallet to send to from my bitcoin.com app on my phone.

Problem: It sent the whole lot, in 2 transactions. 1st transaction of the right amount to the correct address. The second transaction the entire balance of my wallet to another (unknown) wallet.

Now, from doing a bit of digging, it looks like this was "change" and from what I can see this means the balance will be sent to another new "change" wallet address in my bitcoin.com app...

But so far it hasn't shown up, and I cant see any new wallets on there.

Can anyone help and let me know how to open this new "change" wallet. Also, how long would it take for that to show up. Is it just that the wallet is not being refreshed, or does it take some time (ie hours, days etc) to show up?

You can see the transaction here on the block explorer (forum wont let me post link, but heres the wallet ID: 1A9BcSrkBPAB21vwxAZTFzbPfptkdMX3PD

I have the seed key for the wallet I used to send. If I use this in another app to recover the wallet, should this show up the change address too?

Thanks in advance.

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: Sent small amount of BTC to someone and it sent the whole lot to change address. Help

Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:19 am

So, yesterday I did a transfer of a small amount of BTC to someone else. I used a QR code from their wallet to send to from my bitcoin.com app on my phone.

Problem: It sent the whole lot, in 2 transactions. 1st transaction of the right amount to the correct address. The second transaction the entire balance of my wallet to another (unknown) wallet.

Now, from doing a bit of digging, it looks like this was "change" and from what I can see this means the balance will be sent to another new "change" wallet address in my bitcoin.com app...

But so far it hasn't shown up, and I cant see any new wallets on there.

Can anyone help and let me know how to open this new "change" wallet. Also, how long would it take for that to show up. Is it just that the wallet is not being refreshed, or does it take some time (ie hours, days etc) to show up?

You can see the transaction here on the block explorer (forum wont let me post link, but heres the wallet ID: 1A9BcSrkBPAB21vwxAZTFzbPfptkdMX3PD

I have the seed key for the wallet I used to send. If I use this in another app to recover the wallet, should this show up the change address too?

Thanks in advance.
hey kalliste,

First ---> BEWARE of anyone who might contact you in direct message (or any public / private method) and please NEVER share your mnemonic seed (backup recovery phrase) or private keys with anyone (including support teams).

Second --->> The change address should belong to the same wallet you sent from if you're using the Bitcoin.com wallet app (same with most other apps unless there's an option to use any address you want for change).

Third --->>> When you send a bitcoin transaction you are sending the amount(s) your wallet as has received. Hence the "change address" which receives the difference.

Fourth --->>>> You might have to scan or whatever they are calling it nowadays (somewhere in the Settings I think) for funds in your wallet if the change is not displaying as part of your wallet balance.

Fifth --->>>>> Have you contacted the Bitcoin.com support team. If you have, what did they say?

Sixth --->>>>>> You could try other wallet apps / software using your word seed (12 words). Please exercise due diligence, do not trust just any app / software. In my opinion a good mobile wallet for BTC is Mycelium Wallet and and good desktop wallet for BTC is Electrum.

Seventh --->>>>>>> If you have any further questions please post a reply below.

Return to “Technical Support”