pictogram

Different BTC balance in wallet and exchange

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:24 am

Hi,

I have initiated a BTC transfer from my Exodus wallet to Binance on april 10. The transaction have worked correctly from one end to another.
Exodus is showing a -0.02 BTC and Binance is showing a +0.02 BTC balance.

But when I click on the TXID (https://blockchain.info/tx/48e7eb05ac31 ... 5fbf060411), I get bigger amount than it should be.

I did notice that beacause i'm using cryptagon to automatically follow cryptos moves from one place to another, but this transaction is indicating a transaction of 0.02654358 BTC. The diffence is not fees since the fees are 0.0000226 BTC as indicated in the TXID.

Coould someone explain to me how should I understand this inconsistency ?

Thanks

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: Different BTC balance in wallet and exchange

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi,

I have initiated a BTC transfer from my Exodus wallet to Binance on april 10. The transaction have worked correctly from one end to another.
Exodus is showing a -0.02 BTC and Binance is showing a +0.02 BTC balance.

But when I click on the TXID (https://blockchain.info/tx/48e7eb05ac31 ... 5fbf060411), I get bigger amount than it should be.

I did notice that beacause i'm using cryptagon to automatically follow cryptos moves from one place to another, but this transaction is indicating a transaction of 0.02654358 BTC. The diffence is not fees since the fees are 0.0000226 BTC as indicated in the TXID.

Coould someone explain to me how should I understand this inconsistency ?

Thanks
Hi pictogram,

Sending bitcoin is like paying with cash. If you have a $10 dollar bill and you want to buy something that costs $7 you cannot rip the $10 dollar bill into smaller pieces. You have to hand over the $10 dollar bill and then get $3 back.

When you receive a transaction (e.g., bought some bitcoin or received bitcoin from anyone for anything) the amount that you receive in a transaction is like a dollar bill in that amount. When you go to spend it you have to hand over the entire dollar bill. Or if you need to send more than that amount then it will be combined will another (or more) in your wallet (like a wallet of different denominations of dollar bills).

The change (in your case 0.00652098 BTC) is returned to you. It may be not be returned to the very same address that you sent from but it is returned to your wallet. (If you want to use the same address for change you can do that with some wallets.)

pictogram

Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:51 am

Thanks Nandibear for your kind answer,

I understand what you're saying.

But still, where did that money go ? The 1JsVjoUa4juQykitsj6p8vKR56AVgQvR61 wallet with the 0.00652098 BTC balance is not mine (as far as I know!!!).

Again, 0.02 BTC has gone out of my Exodus wallet (see

The same amount has been deposited in Binance (see

And, in Cryptagon it is indicated that 0.02 BTC has been deposited in Binance but 0.0265... BTC has been withdrawn from Exodus (see

I'm probably missing something somewhere, but it drives me crazy, not much for the amount but for the understanding fo all this. It's the first time I experiment such a strange transaction !!

Thanks again for your support

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:15 am

Thanks Nandibear for your kind answer,

I understand what you're saying.

But still, where did that money go ? The 1JsVjoUa4juQykitsj6p8vKR56AVgQvR61 wallet with the 0.00652098 BTC balance is not mine (as far as I know!!!).

No problem pictogram,

That address is yours as well. More the 0.00652098 BTC should be part of your bitcoin balance in your Exodus wallet.

If you want see that address you'll have to get into the developer menu of your Exodus wallet.

When your Exodus wallet is open you have to hold down Control and Shift keys and then press the D key.

You should then see a menu appear at the top which lists: Exodus Edit Window

If you click on the 'Exodus' tab you'll then be able to navigate to Developer > Assets > Bitcoin > Export Address:

Please see: support.exodus.io/article/109-what-are-bitcoin-change-addresses

Please see: support.exodus.io/article/702-how-can-i-export-a-list-of-my-wallet-addresses

Btw, I can't give an official opinion but from my experience Exodus is an excellent desktop wallet.

However, the Bitcoin.com desktop wallet is an excellent wallet as well. Moreover, the Bitcoin.com wallet has a mobile version which is very useful in day to day life (especially when away from the house and desktop machine).

pictogram

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 pm

Ah ! Thanks a lot nandibear,

Your explanation are really appreciated. The whole change adresses thing is what confused me. I did add this address in cryptagon and now everything balances as it supposed to be.

Thanks again

Return to “Technical Support”