doramas89

Cant import seed: seed phrase in Spanish (bitcoincom wallet)

Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 pm

Hi,

Two years ago I created a BCH wallet in the bitcoin.com wallet app. The seed phrase it gave me was in Spanish (12 Spanish words). Today, I cannot import that seed into the wallet, same app: it returns error "invalid mnemonic".

I have tried:

- Importing in Electron Cash: activating "BIP-39 interpretation of the seed" (without it, the continue button is greyed out)
- Importing in Electron Cash: specifying "BIP-39 interpretation" with the default derivation path (m/44/145/0 - don't remember exactly)
- Importing in Electron Cash: specifying "BIP-39 interpretation" with bitcoin.com wallet's derivation path (m/44/0/0)

In both cases, Electron Cash gives me access to a (working, I checked receiving and sending) wallet that has 0 balance, and the "history" in EC is empty.
Obviously, my wallet has funds.

The problem seems with the interpretation of the Spanish seed. Does anyone know the correct interpretation or how to proceed really?

Thanks a lot in advance

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: Cant import seed: seed phrase in Spanish (bitcoincom wallet)

Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 am

Hi,

Two years ago I created a BCH wallet in the bitcoin.com wallet app. The seed phrase it gave me was in Spanish (12 Spanish words). Today, I cannot import that seed into the wallet, same app: it returns error "invalid mnemonic".

I have tried:

- Importing in Electron Cash: activating "BIP-39 interpretation of the seed" (without it, the continue button is greyed out)
- Importing in Electron Cash: specifying "BIP-39 interpretation" with the default derivation path (m/44/145/0 - don't remember exactly)
- Importing in Electron Cash: specifying "BIP-39 interpretation" with bitcoin.com wallet's derivation path (m/44/0/0)

In both cases, Electron Cash gives me access to a (working, I checked receiving and sending) wallet that has 0 balance, and the "history" in EC is empty.
Obviously, my wallet has funds.

The problem seems with the interpretation of the Spanish seed. Does anyone know the correct interpretation or how to proceed really?

Thanks a lot in advance
hey doramas89, you'll have to enter the words in Spanish (so you're translating to English, for example, it wont work). Each word should be lowercase and just one space between each word (and no spaces at the end or the beginning.

For the derivation path you'll have to use the one that your old Bitcoin.com wallet used which is m/44'/0'/0'/0

You also might have a word misspelled or written down as a similar word. You can check each of your 12 words at the official BIP39 Spanish word list at: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0039/spanish.txt

There are some other factors too:

Depending on how many addresses you generated in your old Bitcoin.com wallet and which address(es) you used to receive BCH you might not be able to see those addresses (and the BCH) due to what is called a gap limited. I think the gap limit in Electron Cash and most other lightweight wallets is 20 unused addresses. The wallet application searches for funds until it reaches 20 unused address in a row (consecutive). In the console of Electron Cash you can generate more unused addresses (if needed). Addresses in HD wallets (hierarchal deterministic) are always generated in the same order (regardless of which HD wallet app you're using).

When you originally created your Bitcoin.com wallet if you used a password (to create the wallet itself, not a password/pin for the app) you'll need that password and must enter it in Electron Cash as a 'bip39 passphrase' when recreating your BCH wallet. If you don't then what happens is an entirely different wallet (with entirely different addresses) is created.

If you need more help please let me know.

Please NEVER share your 12 word seed phrase with anyone (including anyone contacting your in direct message or support teams).

Return to “Technical Support”