NBe

Bitcoin Classic Wallet Lost BTC after Power Supply Issue

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Hi there,

I must admit, I am an amateur Bitcoin Classic Wallet user and until today, I was not aware that they had stopped updating it. In effect, I would welcome any and all advice.

My PC power supply died in September and I had another hard drive added to my build. The hard drive which I ran Bitcoin Classic no longer was the main one, but the programme still allows me to run it off of a storage drive. The problem is that the BTC balance has been reset and now sits at 0. Also, the wallet itself is 8 years behind, whereas it was fully updated before.

I tried to move my BTC to a new wallet via the .dat file that I have saved. The new new wallet I tried and installed (on my main hard drive this time) is called Electrum. Because back in 2017 (i.e., when I set up my Bitcoin Classic Wallet) seeds were not being used yet (at least not by the wallet I was using), I could not add the data during the Electrum config process via that option. Instead, I set up a fresh Electrum wallet and tried to add the .dat file via file -> open. When I tried that I had a UTF8 error come up.

Basically, if you can, I would like help with either of those options:

1. How can I add my BTC to my old Bitcoin Classic wallet so that I can carry out transactions again? When I try file -> open and select my back up .dat file, it says that the payment request file is too large
2. How can I resolve a UTF8 error on Electrum using the file -> open technique I described.

Looking forward to your reply and thanking you very much in advance.

Return to “Technical Support”