Go to advanced search

by psztorc
Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:27 pm
Forum: Bitcoin Discussion
Topic: Salvaging the Blocksize Discussion, in Two Questions
Replies: 3
Views: 1184

Re: Salvaging the Blocksize Discussion, in Two Questions

> "Is the Bitcoin network still vulnerable to the use of a large block in a DoS-attack?" I'm proud to admit that I really don't know. It is very much outside my area of expertise. I vaguely remember that Satoshi complained about Vulnerabilities to DoS very very frequently. Then again, hardware alone...
by psztorc
Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:23 am
Topic: Salvaging the Blocksize Discussion, in Two Questions
Replies: 3
Views: 1184

Salvaging the Blocksize Discussion, in Two Questions

Things are really getting out of hand re: blocksize, aren't they?

Here's a blog post I've written, to help: http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/blocksize-conversation/

Let me know what you think.
by psztorc
Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:16 am
Forum: AMA - Ask Me Anything
Topic: I am Paul Sztorc, creator of decentralized Prediction Market concept Hivemind, and other cool things! AMA
Replies: 36
Views: 16532

Re: I am Paul Sztorc, creator of decentralized Prediction Market concept Hivemind, and other cool things! AMA

Hi sangaman, You're welcome! : ) > My favorite post of yours discussed POW and distribution of coins, where MC=MR no matter what proof of ______ you are using. That was very enlightening, but since it focused primarily on initial coin distribution, can spin-offs that use non-POW blockchains be viabl...
by psztorc
Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:49 pm
Topic: I am Paul Sztorc, creator of decentralized Prediction Market concept Hivemind, and other cool things! AMA

Re: I am Paul Sztorc, creator of decentralized Prediction Market concept Hivemind, and other cool things! AMA

> Hi Paul, thanks for convincing me to finally join these forums! I'm sure I played only a small part in that. I mean...can things *get* any crazier out there!? > I was recently watching a video by Chris Derose were he had some very cynical comments about Rootstock, Side-Chains, and Etherium. Chris ...
by psztorc
Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:44 pm

> Firstly thanks for all your blogging, your writing has been facilitating to read! You're welcome! > A question I've got for you; do you have any rough expectations as to when the first trustless bitcoin sidechain (not federated peg) will become ready for general use? Tough question...I would certa...
by psztorc
Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:55 am

> What kind of price do you expect for BTC to hit ? [since you are the predictor] and give us time frame ;) Ah well, my predictions are so great because I just take them straight from markets. I will say, however, that once the mainstream learns about Sidechains, and Hivemind, I do predict another m...
by psztorc
Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:50 am

> Hi Paul! I don't have a question, I just want to say I love your work. Thank you! > The reddit drama has made it painfully obvious that costless discussion is almost completely worthless for deciding the best way forward. Prediction Markets would give a far clearer idea of what the economic consen...
by psztorc
Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:46 am

> Thank you for a great blog. Your arguments persuaded me on a number of topics You're welcome! > Now with gmaxwell possibly leaving, do you see others following? All we know now, is that someone with Wladimir's facebook claimed that Greg has resigned some access rights in GitHub for, apparently, "p...
by psztorc
Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:26 am

> I forgot to ask you about this. Could you elaborate further? Let me try: "I created a completely decentralized governance model for Bitcoin" This of course, refers to my win-win blocksize solution post. Where Bitcoin *only* undertakes *optional* soft forks, and only undertakes hard forks when the ...
by psztorc
Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:24 pm

> Hello Paul, love reading your blog posts! Please keep them coming. Thank you! > Do you mind to tell us which percentage of your personal net worth and/or liquid assets you hold in Bitcoins ? There is, of course, a reason *not* to do this. Financial privacy is a thing...wealthy people are often dis...
by psztorc
Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:58 am

> What sort of interest in Hivemind have you been getting from existing businesses and potential ventures? Lots of investors and big names dropped me a message (back when Hivemind was called Truthcoin), to congratulate me, but said that the regulatory concerns were too burdensome for them to offer a...
by psztorc
Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:35 am

> If you could go back in time and change one thing in the Bitcoin protocol (or its reference implementation) what would that be ? That's an easy one. While nearly perfect, I think there is a tiny flaw in Bitcoin. And I think this flaw is more "spiritually" relevant than, for example, the timewarp b...
by psztorc
Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:16 am

Hello! > How did you get your first bitcoins? BitInstant...by having the most awkward conversation possible at a CVS while they explained to me how to use MoneyGram. That was Summer of 2012 I believe. Man, that was weird. As a white male upper-middle-class Connecticut suburbanite with perfect credit...
by psztorc
Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:52 pm

> @Paul, WOW! thanks for your contributions in the space!! My pleasure! > I have been concerned (and asking) that Prediction Markets might quell innovation in certain areas. e.g. If MGM conducted prediction market research to determine which movies they would make, they might never make a movie that...
by psztorc
Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:18 pm

> first of all, I like your writings a lot. You have the ability to explain hard things very clearly. Thank you! : ) > Since you seem to like Taleb (am I wrong?) Love him. In fact, it is pretty clear to me that everyone who doesn't love him, just "dosen't get" what he's trying to accomplish. > , my ...
by psztorc
Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:07 pm

> When will we be able to use Hivemind? It is always dangerous to forecast software release dates. Bitshares and Ethereum are interesting examples, where delays went into the "months" or even "years" territory. Here are some amusing links of prediction markets being used to forecast software release...
by psztorc
Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:05 pm

> How did you come to Bitcoin? I've always been a huge fan of (what we might now call) the "old school libertarianism" of Milton Friedman. As a result, I had been subscribed to one mailing list or another, and one of them offered to hand out "Bitcoins" if you attended their event in New Hampshire. A...
by psztorc
Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:31 pm

First question for myself: how long does this AMA go on for?

Answer: I will continue to answer questions for as long as they are asked, for the foreseeable future!
by psztorc
Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:29 pm

I am Paul Sztorc, creator of decentralized Prediction Market concept Hivemind, and other cool things! AMA

Hello! My name is Paul Sztorc and I've accomplished a number of cool things: * My project, "Hivemind" actually *survived review* by Bitcoin super-skeptics Andrew Poelstra and Peter Todd. Roger Ver once referred to it as "possibly the most important project since Bitcoin". * I wrote a concrete propos...
by psztorc
Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:34 am
Topic: I am Thomas Voegtlin, creator of Electrum. Ask me Anything!
Replies: 55
Views: 25784

Re: I am Thomas Voegtlin, creator of Electrum. Ask me Anything!

Hi, I love Electrum. I'd like to request a feature which does the following: 1. Completely destroys my private keys, by overwriting them 7 times or whatever. 2. Deletes those keys from any other places they may be hiding (computer's RAM, temp files, or whatever). 3. Prompts me to re-enable my intern...
by psztorc
Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:55 pm
Topic: Drivechain - The Simple Two Way Peg
Replies: 4
Views: 1912

Re: Drivechain - The Simple Two Way Peg

Hi everyone. 8-) It has always been my belief that human misery has causes, and that those causes can (mostly) be understood, and defeated. There's no need to just be miserable. I believe that a lot of the recent misery in the Bitcoin world is directly related to the innovation straightjacket of the...
by psztorc
Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:12 pm
Topic: Fire in a Crowded Theater
Replies: 7
Views: 2897

Re: Fire in a Crowded Theater

@ladoga Forgive me but you seem to be taking things rather personally. I mean, "who handed him control", "governed", "checks and balances" ? I'd agree that /r/bitcoin is influential. But some of those other websites I have never visited (other than to investigate the controversy), and/or never will ...
by psztorc
Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:12 am
Topic: Fire in a Crowded Theater
Replies: 7
Views: 2897

Re: Fire in a Crowded Theater

You only need to answer the following question: Is this network owned by Theymos or all users of Bitcoin? Then it comes pretty obvious who should decide. The Bitcoin network is owned by the *owners* of the Bitcoins. Bitcointalk and /r/bitcoin are websites (not part of the Bitcoin network) and they ...
by psztorc
Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:59 pm
Topic: I'm Mike Hearn, creator of Lighthouse, bitcoinj and Bitcoin XT. Ask me anything!
Replies: 76
Views: 37888

Re: I'm Mike Hearn, creator of Lighthouse, bitcoinj and Bitcoin XT. Ask me anything!

Thanks for your last answer, very helpful. 2. In your view, it is an inherent property of Bitcoin that it "converges to a single state in an economically-reasonable amount of time"? If yes, the obvious implied follow up question would be: 3. If Phenomenon X caused Bitcoin to take an economically-unr...
by psztorc
Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:29 pm
Topic: I'm Mike Hearn, creator of Lighthouse, bitcoinj and Bitcoin XT. Ask me anything!
Replies: 76
Views: 37888

Re: I'm Mike Hearn, creator of Lighthouse, bitcoinj and Bitcoin XT. Ask me anything!

Hi Mike,

I have quite a few questions, but why not start with:

1. What purpose (in your view) does the block size serve?

So far, I have asked this question a few times to a few different people and gotten quite a few mutually-incompatible answers.
by psztorc
Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:18 pm
Topic: I'm Jeff Garzik, Bloq co-founder and bitcoin hacker
Replies: 44
Views: 17148

Re: I'm Jeff Garzik, Bloq co-founder and bitcoin hacker

Hi Jeff, I've noticed that Bitcoin is kind of at an "adolescent" age, where people are struggling to figure out what it is, and what it wants to be. For example, I see this in the Bitcoin 2.0 area, the "permissioned ledger" area, and the blocksize debate. That's a big issue all in itself, so I wante...
by psztorc
Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:39 pm
Topic: Im Juan Garavaglia, Rootstock.io Ask Me Anything!
Replies: 14
Views: 6027

Re: Im Juan Garavaglia, Rootstock.io Ask Me Anything!

Hi Juan, My view is that smart contracts are the "permissioned ledgers" of software, which is to say that Smart Contracts are just empty buzzwords of little real world use. I think that, while people building a 'permissioned ledger' will eventually reinvent 'the database', I think that people workin...
by psztorc
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:03 pm
Topic: I'm Gavin Andresen, Bitcoin geek. Ask me anything!
Replies: 137
Views: 53038

Re: I'm Gavin Andresen, Bitcoin geek. Ask me anything!

Do you see a chance Bitcoin Core will come to a "consensus" to raise the block size limit in some way after the Hong Kong conference? I seems Mike doesn't think so at all: "Core won’t raise the limit" https://medium.com/@octskyward/on-block-sizes-e047bc9f830#.dzgubhu3m Mike and I have been really f...
by psztorc
Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:35 am
Topic: Dox of theymos (Michael Marquardt) | blockchain-db.com
Replies: 27
Views: 10013

Re: Dox of theymos (Michael Marquardt) | blockchain-db.com

There's that...
Theymos is getting doxed due to his own duplicity. Pardon the hokey idiom, but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, no?
Why don't you dox yourself, right now? Pardon the hokey idiom, but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, no?

Go to advanced search