GreenBanana
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 12zB4iQMs1UqV6r9BbcnyKPdsCdfUrLRGM

Encrypted PM system

Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:38 am

The title pretty much says it. End to end encryption for PM's would be pretty cool but idk if it would be possible.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Re: Encrypted PM system

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:24 am

The title pretty much says it. End to end encryption for PM's would be pretty cool but idk if it would be possible.
This would be a great idea especially for sensitive PM between users, not sure if PGP can be added to PM's but maybe a Wickr based system to could be implemented.

This would take some time to implement if possible and I know the Admin staff are working very hard adding other features.
If this can be added then I'm sure it will added to the "To do list" in the coming future, this forum is still in it very early stage.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:42 am

End to end encryption is important but why rely on the service provider when the power is in your hands? Just like bitcoin and being your own bank, be your own firewall.

Use PGP and encrypt your own messages that way even if something happened to the service, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Her are some PGP resources:
cryptography-privacy-tools/beginners-gu ... -t317.html

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:49 am

BitcoinXio is right. You really should not expect a forum to encrypt PMs or trust them to do it properly. Do it off forum using encrypted messaging apps or PGP encrypted email.

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:18 am

End to end encryption is important but why rely on the service provider when the power is in your hands? Just like bitcoin and being your own bank, be your own firewall.

Use PGP and encrypt your own messages that way even if something happened to the service, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Her are some PGP resources:
cryptography-privacy-tools/beginners-gu ... -t317.html
BitcoinXio is right. You really should not expect a forum to encrypt PMs or trust them to do it properly. Do it off forum using encrypted messaging apps or PGP encrypted email.
I have to throw my support behind BitcoinXio and BitcoinNewsMagazine on this. Not only should you not expect a forum (nor any site) to encrypt PMs or trust them to do it properly, you should expect that they will save a copy of your message prior to encrypting it for you. That is not something that would happen here, but then how can you take our word for that? We're just pseudonymous moderators on an internet forum. Would you trust a stranger on the street to deliver a private letter for you when he or she knows that its contents may contain information you don't want others to know? Would you trust him or her not to read it or make a copy of it?

The only way to secure your communications is to take your security into your own hands. Never rely on another entity or person to protect your data, and don't trust anybody else to act in your interest when they may well have their own interests at play. Hope that they will act in your interest, but assume that they won't. Rarely are convenience and security good bedfellows; the convenience of automatic encryption is simply not worth the risk to your security.

DOGed
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 136djiDtVHKq8KLnJQnCRJL2TydpGgnyyT

Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:58 am

I am going to echo what has been said above. Use PGP if you want to ensure that only your recipient to be able to read your PM. I don't think PGP is all that difficult to use once you know that you are doing, however if you do not have the technical expertise to use PGP then you can use privnote (privnote.com) which is not quite as good (and there are rumors that the NSA can read old privnote messages - I am not sure how accurate this is though), however it should give a decent amount of privacy over sending PM's in claertext.

I would assume that any PM you send that is not encrypted (or send via a privnote link) is going to be made public in the future. That is not to say that the forum does not take precautions from information contained in PM's from leaking to any outside parties that the PM is not intended for.
Have fun, send me a tip 136djiDtVHKq8KLnJQnCRJL2TydpGgnyyT

Windowly
Junior Mod
Junior Mod

Donate BTC of your choice to qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyq

Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:09 am

I agree we should do encrypted messaging ourselves for real important communications but shouldn't messaging always be encrypted by default? It seems the more we have encrypted, the less there is for government or criminals to steal. Instead of pgp perhaps something like OTR could be implemented.
Signing Address: qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyqm4

Return to “The Suggestion Box”