BitKat

Import wallet, BCH, won't accept 13 word phrase

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:22 pm

I have a 13 word seed phrase, not 12. In trying to import to claim my BCH, the wallet will not accept 13 words. Only 12. :evil: What to do?

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Re: Import wallet, BCH, won't accept 13 word phrase

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:04 am

I have a 13 word seed phrase, not 12. In trying to import to claim my BCH, the wallet will not accept 13 words. Only 12. :evil: What to do?
I am guessing it's a seed from an Electrum wallet, i have read that they used 13 word seeds, the extra word was added to include the checksum if i remember right, I don't know any other reason they would have added it because i didn't think that there was much point using a seed longer than 12 words since a 12 words corresponds to the 128 bits of security we see in bitcoin. Although i think Trezor can or does give 24 word seeds but i haven't used one yet so not sure why.

Have you tried to select the option of "copy from clipboard" for backup instead of entering the seed word by word?
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

BitKat

Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 am

I am guessing it's a seed from an Electrum wallet, i have read that they used 13 word seeds, the extra word was added to include the checksum if i remember right, I don't know any other reason they would have added it because i didn't think that there was much point using a seed longer than 12 words since a 12 words corresponds to the 128 bits of security we see in bitcoin. Although i think Trezor can or does give 24 word seeds but i haven't used one yet so not sure why.

Have you tried to select the option of "copy from clipboard" for backup instead of entering the seed word by word?
Seems you can only use Electron Cash when claiming BitCoin Cash from Electrum. Tried 2 other BCC-compatible wallets and they would not take my 13-word phrase. What a hassle that was to get the BCC. I had Electrum wallets on 2 computers, both with pre-Aug 1 BTC purchases. Didnt want to expose any passwords to the Fyookball guy with Electron Cash. Ended up sending the BTC from both Electrum wallets to a new wallet on one pc and then opening Electron Cash on the other, making 2 Bitcoin Cash wallets.

BitCoin has a long way to go before even a hint of mass adoption. It is far too difficult and/or time consuming to buy, store and use it. 95% of folks will not want it in its present state. I cannot recommend it to anyone except to those willing to gamble extra funds.

bakerlisa510

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:42 am

Have you tried accessing your wallet using a different address? Also try using the same IP you previously used if you have changed the address. :D

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:32 am

Have you tried accessing your wallet using a different address? Also try using the same IP you previously used if you have changed the address. :D
What are you talking about?
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:38 am

You can try this tool as well: https://bitpay.github.io/copay-recovery/
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

Return to “Technical Support”