rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Liberland

Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 am

Now that Bitcoin.com is officially supporting Liberland to the tune of $10,000 USD a month, what can we do to help support their cause?
I suspect this is something that many bitcoin users would be very supportive of.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Re: Liberland

Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:42 am

Now that Bitcoin.com is officially supporting Liberland to the tune of $10,000 USD a month, what can we do to help support their cause?
I suspect this is something that many bitcoin users would be very supportive of.
Congrats on becoming a recipient of a Liberland diplomatic passport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for helping their cause, knowledge is power :)

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:25 am

Liberland currently needs people who:
* have respect for other people and respect the opinions of others, regardless of their race, ethnicity, orientation, or religion
* have respect for private ownership which is untouchable
* do not have communist, nazi or other extremist past
* were not punished for past criminal offences
They are actually looking for people who have not been punished for past criminal offences, so this place is to become a hideaway for crims looking to escape punishment?
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:58 am

* have respect for other people and respect the opinions of others, regardless of their race, ethnicity, orientation, or religion
They are actually looking for people who have not been punished for past criminal offences, so this place is to become a hideaway for crims looking to escape punishment?
I think they mean people who don't have a criminal history. (For crimes with victims)
topic7039.html

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:48 am

I think they mean people who don't have a criminal history. (For crimes with victims)
I thought it was supposed to mean that.
Do you know what there stance on drugs is, they may view drug dealing as a victims crime? (I'm sure this would be in there constitution but i don't have time to read the whole thing just now)
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 am

I would imagine they would be sympathetic to that, but they also need to be cognizant of the surrounding government's policies as well.
topic7039.html

sykochica
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:01 am

This is actually the first I've heard of this new country, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm assuming the 'knowledge is power' is along the lines of spreading awareness of Liberland's existence and foundations like their motto of live and let live.

I'll probably publish an article on the country in the near future both because it's fascinating and to spread awareness.
But what are they lacking or needing there? I have to assume being built out of a 'no mans land' there would probably be slim food and or water, jobs or at least tools, idk. But I didn't want to just leave it at that.

Maybe deals can be searched for and struck to make the donated $ go further. Do they have decent/any internet access? Anyway, I'm just tryin to think outside the box a bit.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:24 pm

This is actually the first I've heard of this new country, so please forgive my ignorance. I'm assuming the 'knowledge is power' is along the lines of spreading awareness of Liberland's existence and foundations like their motto of live and let live.

I'll probably publish an article on the country in the near future both because it's fascinating and to spread awareness.
But what are they lacking or needing there? I have to assume being built out of a 'no mans land' there would probably be slim food and or water, jobs or at least tools, idk. But I didn't want to just leave it at that.

Maybe deals can be searched for and struck to make the donated $ go further. Do they have decent/any internet access? Anyway, I'm just tryin to think outside the box a bit.
That would be great to see an article published on Liberland, please post it or a link here once you have finished.

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:09 pm

I would like to know more about their infrastructure such as roads, utilities and buildings!

For example, say I would like to become a member, purchase land and build an estate. Is there a lake I can build it beside? Can I fly a helicopter in? Things like this!

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

sykochica
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:16 pm

I'll def to make sure to post the article and/or link here...that's a great idea.

I didn't get to write it just yet, had a couple new projects fall in my lap, but I've at least got the research part going.
I would like to know more about their infrastructure such as roads, utilities and buildings!

For example, say I would like to become a member, purchase land and build an estate. Is there a lake I can build it beside? Can I fly a helicopter in? Things like this!
I'll def let you know what I find...gotta do a little diggin beyond wikipedia for this one. :)

I don't expect it'll be too long before I can find what I'm needing and get it written up.

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:22 pm

I'll def to make sure to post the article and/or link here...that's a great idea.

I didn't get to write it just yet, had a couple new projects fall in my lap, but I've at least got the research part going.

I'll def let you know what I find...gotta do a little diggin beyond wikipedia for this one. :)

I don't expect it'll be too long before I can find what I'm needing and get it written up.
That would be most excellent, thank you very much :)

sykochica
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:43 pm

[NOTE: This was originally created and posted on Steemit at https://steemit.com/liberland/@sykochic ... in-country. I've tried my best to maintain the formatting in here to maintain readability.]

Liberland: How a No Mans Land Became a Bitcoin Country

Just last year, Liberland was founded, and became the third smallest country in the world behind Vatican City and Monaco having roughly an area of 7 sq/km. Obviously existing countries wouldn't take to kindly to having a portion of their territory 'lost' to another country, even a new one. So the founder of Liberland had been searching for some land that did not have any ownership claims or existing governance to proudly place his flag. After looking through a few different places that met these requirements, Vit Jedlicka came to the No Mans Land next to the Danube river to begin his ideal micro-nation with many Libertarian values we help so dear, including the motto of:
"Live and Let Live." Image Making Nothing into Something The natural border between the regions of Serbia and Croatia has long been defined by the Danube river. In the late 1800's while under control of the Austro-Hungarian empires, an area of the Danube was straightened out to make it easier for transport ships to pass through. After these improvements were completed, several pockets of land were left separated from their country. Most of the areas in question was Croat land in Serbia, with just a small seven square kilometer area of Serb land in Croatia.
Image For decades these little pockets of were of no concern, with both of these regions being a under the then Yugoslavian umbrella. But over the last 25 years, after these two countries gained their independence, the disagreement over the boarders has been steadily increasing. See, if Croatia accepts where the Danube is now as the border, than it stands to loose about 70 sq Kilometers (compared to just 7) to its neighbor. No independent nation like to loose territory.

Because of this, Croatia couldn't recognize (and hence govern) this small patch left on it's side of the river as it's own. Serbia couldn't recognize (or govern) this certain pocket either for because it would mean that the larger areas on their side, were technically NOT theirs. This basically left this little patch of land unclaimed and ungoverned, making it by definition, a 'No Mans Land.'
Image Founding of an Independent Micro-Nation Image On April 13, 2015, Vit Jedlicka went into this official No Mans Land, planted his unique flag, and declared this pocket of unclaimed land to now be the new micro-nation of Liberland. On this glorious day he proclaimed:
We, by virtue of the right to self-determination, right of discovery and the right of self-governance, proclaim the existence of the Free Republic of Liberland. The Free Republic is a free and independent country; and that as a free and independent state, the Free Republic of Liberland shall have the full power to defend itself, conclude peace, form alliances, establish commerce, and enjoy any other rights which sovereign states have. As a member of the family of nations, we pledge to abide by international laws that bind all states in existence.
[Source - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/magaz ... ident.html]
Image Why Should We Care? Prior to starting the micro-nation of Liberland, Vit Jedlicka was a Czech, Libertarian politician and chairman of the regional Party of Free Citizens. In April 2015 Jedlicka along with his girlfriend and a college friend (also both Libertarians) traveled to the No Mans Land along the Danube to plant the Liberland flag and lay claim to this unclaimed land. With the world media covering this event, the new founders released citizenship applications for about 70,000 openings. In just a few weeks they were blown away with the response of 380,000 applications (they only expected about 10,000) to become a part of the Liberland micro-nation. A couple of the main criteria for prospective citizens, beyond the "Live and Let Live" motto, are right up the alley of many in the crypto-currency world:

* Belief in their unique concept of Voluntary Taxation
* Have respect for other people and their opinions regardless of race, ethnicity, orientation or religion
* Have respect for private ownership which is untouchable
[Go Here for the Citizenship Application Form: http://liberland.org/en/request/] Image Liberland and Crypto-currency
Since Liberland doesn't have it's own state-backed currency, they use what they call the "Merit System" that allows people to exchange money or Bitcoin to claim their citizenship. They also have plans to expand this Merit system where citizens and companies can trade with Bitcoin on mobile apps to easily allow the trade of goods and services. Having limited resources for their fledgling country, it only makes sense to use a crypto-currency based system rather that having to invest all the time and money setting up a state run monetary system. Luckily they have historical data on similar setups to learn from including Monaco, Lichtenstein, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Much of this is spelled out in depth in the Liberland Constitution on Github (found here: https://github.com/liberland/liberland) where they welcome others to contribute to the living, evolving document.
Image Conclusion I find this to be a fascination situation to be watching take place. A country founded upon ideals of personal freedom and property ownership, an economic backbone looking to use Bitcoin rather than a traditional national institution, and demand for citizens (or prospective citizens) to have respect for other Human Beings. While I know there is no utopia, this is a fascinating experiment to watch and be excited about. A couple hundred years ago we watched as democracy succeeded in America and started spreading around the globe. Could this be the model of human respect, community building and economic structure that will be commonplace in the future?

Image Image Image Image Image Text Sources:
[Liberland: An Interview with Founder Vit Jedlicka](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lan-anh-v ... 22846.html)
[The Making of a President](http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/magaz ... ident.html)
[Liberland Wikipedia](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland)
[Liberland Official Website](https://liberland.org)
[Liberland on Github](https://github.com/liberland/liberland)

Image Sources:
[Liberland Map and Flag](https://liberland.org/en/about/)
[Bitcoin Accepted Here](http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 26001.html)
[Three Founders with Planted Flag](http://pulse.ng/viral/tiny-nation-man-c ... 95671.html)

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:58 pm

[NOTE: This was originally created and posted on Steemit at https://steemit.com/liberland/@sykochic ... in-country. I've tried my best to maintain the formatting in here to maintain readability.]

Liberland: How a No Mans Land Became a Bitcoin Country

Just last year, Liberland was founded, and became the third smallest country in the world behind Vatican City and Monaco having roughly an area of 7 sq/km. Obviously existing countries wouldn't take to kindly to having a portion of their territory 'lost' to another country, even a new one. So the founder of Liberland had been searching for some land that did not have any ownership claims or existing governance to proudly place his flag. After looking through a few different places that met these requirements, Vit Jedlicka came to the No Mans Land next to the Danube river to begin his ideal micro-nation with many Libertarian values we help so dear, including the motto of:
"Live and Let Live." Image Making Nothing into Something The natural border between the regions of Serbia and Croatia has long been defined by the Danube river. In the late 1800's while under control of the Austro-Hungarian empires, an area of the Danube was straightened out to make it easier for transport ships to pass through. After these improvements were completed, several pockets of land were left separated from their country. Most of the areas in question was Croat land in Serbia, with just a small seven square kilometer area of Serb land in Croatia.
Image For decades these little pockets of were of no concern, with both of these regions being a under the then Yugoslavian umbrella. But over the last 25 years, after these two countries gained their independence, the disagreement over the boarders has been steadily increasing. See, if Croatia accepts where the Danube is now as the border, than it stands to loose about 70 sq Kilometers (compared to just 7) to its neighbor. No independent nation like to loose territory.

Because of this, Croatia couldn't recognize (and hence govern) this small patch left on it's side of the river as it's own. Serbia couldn't recognize (or govern) this certain pocket either for because it would mean that the larger areas on their side, were technically NOT theirs. This basically left this little patch of land unclaimed and ungoverned, making it by definition, a 'No Mans Land.'
Image Founding of an Independent Micro-Nation Image On April 13, 2015, Vit Jedlicka went into this official No Mans Land, planted his unique flag, and declared this pocket of unclaimed land to now be the new micro-nation of Liberland. On this glorious day he proclaimed:
We, by virtue of the right to self-determination, right of discovery and the right of self-governance, proclaim the existence of the Free Republic of Liberland. The Free Republic is a free and independent country; and that as a free and independent state, the Free Republic of Liberland shall have the full power to defend itself, conclude peace, form alliances, establish commerce, and enjoy any other rights which sovereign states have. As a member of the family of nations, we pledge to abide by international laws that bind all states in existence.
[Source - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/magaz ... ident.html]
Image Why Should We Care? Prior to starting the micro-nation of Liberland, Vit Jedlicka was a Czech, Libertarian politician and chairman of the regional Party of Free Citizens. In April 2015 Jedlicka along with his girlfriend and a college friend (also both Libertarians) traveled to the No Mans Land along the Danube to plant the Liberland flag and lay claim to this unclaimed land. With the world media covering this event, the new founders released citizenship applications for about 70,000 openings. In just a few weeks they were blown away with the response of 380,000 applications (they only expected about 10,000) to become a part of the Liberland micro-nation. A couple of the main criteria for prospective citizens, beyond the "Live and Let Live" motto, are right up the alley of many in the crypto-currency world:

* Belief in their unique concept of Voluntary Taxation
* Have respect for other people and their opinions regardless of race, ethnicity, orientation or religion
* Have respect for private ownership which is untouchable
[Go Here for the Citizenship Application Form: http://liberland.org/en/request/] Image Liberland and Crypto-currency
Since Liberland doesn't have it's own state-backed currency, they use what they call the "Merit System" that allows people to exchange money or Bitcoin to claim their citizenship. They also have plans to expand this Merit system where citizens and companies can trade with Bitcoin on mobile apps to easily allow the trade of goods and services. Having limited resources for their fledgling country, it only makes sense to use a crypto-currency based system rather that having to invest all the time and money setting up a state run monetary system. Luckily they have historical data on similar setups to learn from including Monaco, Lichtenstein, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Much of this is spelled out in depth in the Liberland Constitution on Github (found here: https://github.com/liberland/liberland) where they welcome others to contribute to the living, evolving document.
Image Conclusion I find this to be a fascination situation to be watching take place. A country founded upon ideals of personal freedom and property ownership, an economic backbone looking to use Bitcoin rather than a traditional national institution, and demand for citizens (or prospective citizens) to have respect for other Human Beings. While I know there is no utopia, this is a fascinating experiment to watch and be excited about. A couple hundred years ago we watched as democracy succeeded in America and started spreading around the globe. Could this be the model of human respect, community building and economic structure that will be commonplace in the future?

Image Image Image Image Image Text Sources:
[Liberland: An Interview with Founder Vit Jedlicka](http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lan-anh-v ... 22846.html)
[The Making of a President](http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/magaz ... ident.html)
[Liberland Wikipedia](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland)
[Liberland Official Website](https://liberland.org)
[Liberland on Github](https://github.com/liberland/liberland)

Image Sources:
[Liberland Map and Flag](https://liberland.org/en/about/)
[Bitcoin Accepted Here](http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 26001.html)
[Three Founders with Planted Flag](http://pulse.ng/viral/tiny-nation-man-c ... 95671.html)
Wow, this is majestic, thank you so much sykochica!!!!!!!!!

I can literally moor my yacht at Liberland!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess from there you could chopper from Liberland to Croatia or Serbia for international airports.

Interesting, interesting :) :) :)

sykochica
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Now to specifically answer the OP question of how we can help Liberland (and really other micronations holding similar views)...awareness and official recognition seem to be the two largest limiting factors.

I wrote the above article specifically with helping on the awareness side of things and shared to my FB. On the recognition side of things, while petitions only go so far, I do think it would be beneficial to put something out for people to sign calling for existing bodies such as other countries and the UN to recognize the legitimacy of Liberland.

sykochica
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:23 pm

iFixBTCmemoryIssues --

Thank you! I really tried to do Liberland well deserved justice with this piece and was really a lot of fun to research.

Be careful at the border crossings though, I saw in some articles that Croat police stopped and tried to prevent the Liberland president himself from entering his own country on a number of occasions. I'd advice giving some buffer time just in case inconveniences like this occur. :P

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:25 pm

iFixBTCmemoryIssues --

Thank you! I really tried to do Liberland well deserved justice with this piece and was really a lot of fun to research.

Be careful at the border crossings though, I saw in some articles that Croat police stopped and tried to prevent the Liberland president himself from entering his own country on a number of occasions. I'd advice giving some buffer time just in case inconveniences like this occur. :P
All you have to do is call the airport ahead of time and tell them you are coming in. Then it's really not much trouble because you pay to land anyways!

sykochica
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Definitely good to know! As you can probably tell, I've not been much of an International traveler.
But I'm learning!

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:45 pm

Definitely good to know! As you can probably tell, I've not been much of an International traveler.
But I'm learning!
Knowledge is power.

coin@coin
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:55 am

So does that mean that Serbia and Croatia cannot decide to take the land back once they realize what's happening there?
Or have they both recognized the Republic of Liberland and are happy with it?

I love the idea though. Congrats to the founders. :)

Lilypanama24
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 13XWgUqTWCLyNiQD7EGGhB7KwT7SYcqpta

Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:01 am

It is an interesting project, but I fear that it would end in military intervention. The Balkans have a bloody past :twisted:
Editor of BitcoinMXN, Contact Mefor PR or Advertising Opportunities

English & Spanish Copywriting Services

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:17 am

Looks like Liberland will be celebrating its second anniversary next week and introducing their own cryptocurrency called Merit, sounds interesting.

There is a link to the full story in the post below.

topic22821.html?sid=cbfc314baf13ec13831 ... 583#p56230

Possum577
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Exx48BUTb57hPND67Mt5WwPXiTA9CjoEs

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am

Here's a way we can both help each other. It would be great if they created an online wallet (with the highest level of security) for us to use as an option beyond our local domestic online wallets, which may require an abundance of personal information and transaction tracking from local Feds.

Liberland can be an a jurisdiction where bitcoin businesses can be founded and operated, which fall outside the purview of other government authorities. In turn, they can collect modest fees off our transactions, which will help them fund their pursuit of establishing a sovereign land.

Viva la Bitcoin, Viva la Liberland!

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Whoa that place still exist?

Aren't they in a strategically good location to establish censorship resistant servers and stuff like that?

Or will they just get raided by police of Croatia if they ever try shady stuff like that?
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Whoa that place still exist?

Aren't they in a strategically good location to establish censorship resistant servers and stuff like that?

Or will they just get raided by police of Croatia if they ever try shady stuff like that?
Unfortunately I think option #2 would be more likely if they tried anything to radical to upset the next door neighbors.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:24 pm

I guess this marks the 1 year anniversary of Bitcoin.com's support for Liberland.
Time sure does fly!
Hopefully they will make even more progress in the next year.
topic7039.html

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:36 pm

I guess this marks the 1 year anniversary of Bitcoin.com's support for Liberland.
Time sure does fly!
Hopefully they will make even more progress in the next year.
Have you had a chance to visited Liberland yet?

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:40 pm

Not yet, but I will one day soon.
I already have one of their passports, so I figure I should go in person.

topic7039.html

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Not yet, but I will one day soon.
I already have one of their passports, so I figure I should go in person.

Is it easy to get to, like a quick stop off when you are in the area next or difficult to get to, needing to take a couple of connecting flights?

ghaimar

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 pm

What can we do? Hmm, maybe the most cost-effective approach would be to bribe Croatian and Serbian politicians. I'm kidding.

I don't really know how to support it other than spreading the word and keeping the project alive. At one point both neighboring countries might realize that they are better off with Liberland vs an empty island in no-man's land, which is imho the only chance to get any real recognition as a country.

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:32 pm

This is amazing. The idea is great. I totally plan on becoming a citizen if it will be possible!
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

Return to “Politics & Society”