Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
Alena
AMA
AMA

I'm Alena Vranova, business developer, Co-founder of SatoshiLabs, the creator of TREZOR hardware wallet. AMA - 24th Nov!

Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi Bitcoiners!

it's time for some questions and answers again.. You can ask me anything about TREZOR or SatoshiLabs but I will happy to talk to you about other topics like crypto, economy, security, questions of life and everything. Don't be afraid to even ask anything silly, in worst case I will just tactfully ignore 8-)

EDIT: Thank you everyone for your interesting questions!
Let's stay in touch - add me on twitter/@AlenaSatoshi or LinkedIn and feel free to contact me for business and investment opportunities.

In case you want to implement Trezor security to your service, contact: integration@satoshilabs.com.

Since you mostly know SatoshiLabs and TREZOR, I'll introduce myself a little bit more.

About me
I've been dedicating my life to developing new businesses for over 13 years now. First I was active in the traditional financial and banking space. Grew a local unicorn in the space of insurance advisory, INSIA, that has been awarded Fast 50 CEE by Deloitte for 6 consecutive years. I also created a #1 online insurance news portal opojisteni.cz, and developed the sales division of a Societe Generale Insurance company here in Czech Republic from scratch. Very exciting times and very educative, but not as fascinating like bitcoin! Did some serious studying and masters in marketing communication, German language and Economic Diplomacy. While doing the Diplomacy program I was focused on international monetary system and that's when I found about BTC BTC BTC. Back in 2010 and got excited about it ever since. In 2013 I went full-time bitcoin and co-founded SatoshiLabs, together with Pavol Rusnak and Marek Palatinus - some of the greatest minds in the space. I'm very lucky to work with them ;)

I love meeting and connecting people and I'm interested in technology, economy, culture and freedom, traveling, photography and languages (speak 7 currently). I am a libertarian and voluntarist.

At SatoshiLabs I am responsible for new business opportunities and connecting with people in the space. I am the practical element in our nerdy team and the first dummie tester :) for TREZOR.

About SatoshiLabs
SatoshiLabs is a Prague-based innovator responsible for some of the most pivotal and influential projects in Bitcoin -  from TREZOR to CoinMap.org to Slush Pool, the world’s first bitcoin mining pool.

We are a team of 15+, very excited to do what we do. We love all things bitcoin, opensource, decentralized and security.

About TREZOR
TREZOR is the #1 bitcoin hardware wallet, known as the impenetrable safe for cryptocurrencies and other digital assets. Widely endorsed by security experts but also popular for being a very intuitive and easy to use tool for newcomers to Bitcoin or users with average computer skills.

TREZOR is gradually expanding into a digital identity vault, we have introduced a password-less login to websites but it's potential is way more far reaching.

Links
Personal:
twitter/@AlenaSatoshi
LinkedIn

Work:
SatoshiLabs.com + Blog@Medium.com
BitcoinTREZOR
Slush Pool
Coinmap
Last edited by Alena on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Re: I'm Alena Vranova, business developer, Co-founder of SatoshiLabs, the creator of TREZOR hardware wallet. AMA - 24th

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello, and congratulations on producing such an important and useful device.

My questions:

1. What are your plans for HD wallets and multisig? Does/will Trezor support those?

2. What are your plans for ED25519 ?

3. Your "mytrezor" website (for using the hardware wallet via web) is very nice, but I would rather run it myself on localhost, versus using the instance that you are running on the web. (Let's consider for a moment the whole reason I bought a Trezor in the first place... security and privacy.)
But I notice the version of your webwallet on github is months old. Is the mytrezor webwallet now closed source? Do we HAVE to use the instance running at mytrezor.com, in order to use it at all? What if we want to operate that part ourselves, and/or integrate it (and thus Trezor) into our own things? Will it be made available?

4. Does the "Trezor Connect" API make it easy to use Trezor for signing things and verifying signatures? Or is it only used for login? What if I wanted to write some web code that uses a Trezor for various signing and verifying actions on my own website? Is there an RPC interface or plug-in that makes this functionality available to web developers? (Integrations accelerate adoption, after all.)
P.S. I do believe this functionality is available in desktop applications, e.g. Electrum, but I'm just curious how available it is for web developers. Login is nice but I want to be able to sign things.

5. Do you have a dev kit for uploading customized images of the Trezor firmware to the device? Just curious how easy it is to customize the device itself.

6. How accommodative is Trezor towards outside developers with regard to feature requests? Is it possible to open a line of communication for this sort of thing, and if so, what is the best way to go about doing it?

7. Does the Trezor have the capacity to sign multiple times after a single 'confirm', via any sort of a "timeout" period? Just curious.

8. What are your future plans for improvements to the device?

Thank you again, and great work.
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas
Creator, Open-Transactions

Skin_in_the_game
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: I'm Alena Vranova, business developer, Co-founder of SatoshiLabs, the creator of TREZOR hardware wallet. AMA - 24th

Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:47 pm

Hello Alena,

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
Having met or read about a few people in the bitcoin community, I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight their opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.)

I'm now asking every participants the same question:

- Do you mind to tell us which percentage of your net worth and/or liquid assets you hold in Bitcoins ?

freetrader
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi Alena

Really happy with my Trezor so far, thank you to everyone at your company.

I am most interested in what plans SatoshiLabs has to evolve the Trezor product line to handle further cryptocurrencies?

Keep up the great work!

Windowly
Junior Mod
Junior Mod

Donate BTC of your choice to qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyq

Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi Alena,

Thank you for coming here. I have a couple questions.

Do you use a trezor for your own bitcoins? What about the other staff -- do they use it regularly?

What are your thoughts on the bitcoin scaling debate?

99$ seem a bit steep for a hardware wallet; are there any plans or thoughts of trying to produce cheaper hardware wallets?
Signing Address: qrd9y7aas8ce7hla5mlcrcjjmhld3v84zghvylyqm4

randy-lawnmole

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi Alena

Prague seems like a hotspot for European bitcoin development, yet the bitcoin meetup group seems almost dead.
I've frequently visit the city and have checked out the fantastic Parallelpolis but was wondering if there are any other meetup groups yourself, satoshilabs and slush friends regularly attend. ?

Thanks

edugarbizu
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:44 pm

Hey Alena,

1- Trezor was the first to hit the HW market but in the last months a lot of competition is coming (Ledger, Case, etc...), do you still consider yourself as the market leader? Why?

2- What are the main advantages/disadvantages between Trezor and your competition?
If I were a customer looking for a HW how would you pitch me to choose your product instead of other alternatives?

3- You said that TREZOR is gradually expanding into a digital identity vault, could you explain that in more detail?
What are your future plans for Trezor wallet?

Thanks for your time

chriswilmer
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Two questions/comments:

1. Before the Trezor went for sale, I was literally planning to buy *hundreds* of them and just hand them out to anyone I thought might be interested in Bitcoin. I wasn't expecting them to cost $100, of course (but I still bought 10, including 2 metal ones, so don't think I'm not a fan!!!). Have you considered that you might increase profits by lowering the price and going for higher volume production? I could imagine Coinbase giving offering one to everyone of their 2.8 million users if the price point was low enough...

2. I have been waiting AGES to use two trezors (one held by me and one by my wife) to control a multisig-HD account. When will this be possible + user-friendly? Any estimates?

Alena
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi fellowtraveler, thanks for great questions. My team is a big fan of your work too and I should have some good news for you :)

1. What are your plans for HD wallets and multisig? Does/will Trezor support those?
Trezor is an HD wallet and multisig too. Today, Copay has released a nice Trezor implementation, I think they will be announcing it soon.
ED25519 is implemented but not released yet, we still do some fine tuning but it's on the way.
We have integrated the NIST-P256 curve, which enables SSH login
3. Your "mytrezor" website (for using the hardware wallet via web) is very nice, but I would rather run it myself on localhost, versus using the instance that you are running on the web. (Let's consider for a moment the whole reason I bought a Trezor in the first place... security and privacy.)
But I notice the version of your webwallet on github is months old. Is the mytrezor webwallet now closed source? Do we HAVE to use the instance running at mytrezor.com, in order to use it at all? What if we want to operate that part ourselves, and/or integrate it (and thus Trezor) into our own things? Will it be made available?
mytrezor.com is not open-source, you're right. You can set up Trezor offline by downloading the Chrome Extension and running it locally, although it won't work for sending/receiving payments or exporting xpubs (needs backend communication).

TREZOR Connect API is open-source though and we also work on an open-source backend using BitCore. You can instead use Trezor with other clients such as Electrum, Multibit and as of today with Copay.
Check out TREZOR Apps page.

4. Does the "Trezor Connect" API make it easy to use Trezor for signing things and verifying signatures? Or is it only used for login? What if I wanted to write some web code that uses a Trezor for various signing and verifying actions on my own website? Is there an RPC interface or plug-in that makes this functionality available to web developers? (Integrations accelerate adoption, after all.)
P.S. I do believe this functionality is available in desktop applications, e.g. Electrum, but I'm just curious how available it is for web developers. Login is nice but I want to be able to sign things.
TREZOR Connect API does all those things you are asking for
  • Login
    Export public key
    Sign transaction
    Request payment
We have redesinged the Connect API so it's ow very easy to implement Trezor support to any bitcoin wallet, exchange and service.
5. Do you have a dev kit for uploading customized images of the Trezor firmware to the device? Just curious how easy it is to customize the device itself.
If you are asking about a custom homescreen, that is currently available for public testing at beta.mytrezor.com.
6. How accommodative is Trezor towards outside developers with regard to feature requests? Is it possible to open a line of communication for this sort of thing, and if so, what is the best way to go about doing it?
Very much! :) We are into anything that makes sense and have a dedicated integration guru Martin, so feel free to contact him via integration@satoshilabs.com.
7. Does the Trezor have the capacity to sign multiple times after a single 'confirm', via any sort of a "timeout" period? Just curious.
Not at the moment. Each output must be checked on the Trezor's screen and confirmed physically, because data streamed to the device from the computer are not trusted by default - so automatic signing is not possible, nevertheless if you have any idea how it could work, please let us know.
We have many plans, most of them are not publishable yet. Our main goals are to use today's capabilities of Trezor for new areas, such as secure messaging, identity management, password management etc. The priority is still to have a super secure bitcoin wallet and luckily we can introduce many new features without compromising on the btc wallet security.
As for the hardware, we are quite happy with the current scheme but we may introduce a larger screen and a few new details.

Alena
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Alena

Really happy with my Trezor so far, thank you to everyone at your company.
I am most interested in what plans SatoshiLabs has to evolve the Trezor product line to handle further cryptocurrencies?
Keep up the great work!
Hi freetrader, thanks so much for your kind support!

At this moment Trezor supports Bitcoin, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Dash and Testnet. Please check up to date list at our repository.

mytrezor.com only handles Bitcoin, but there are altcoin wallets that allow you to use Trezor with Litecoins or Dash.. Check out our TREZOR Apps page.

cypherdoc
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi fellowtraveler, thanks for great questions. My team is a big fan of your work too and I should have some good news for you :)

Trezor is an HD wallet and multisig too. Today, Copay has released a nice Trezor implementation, I think they will be announcing it soon.
ED25519 is implemented but not released yet, we still do some fine tuning but it's on the way.
We have integrated the NIST-P256 curve, which enables SSH login
mytrezor.com is not open-source, you're right. You can set up Trezor offline by downloading the Chrome Extension and running it locally, although it won't work for sending/receiving payments or exporting xpubs (needs backend communication).

TREZOR Connect API is open-source though and we also work on an open-source backend using BitCore. You can instead use Trezor with other clients such as Electrum, Multibit and as of today with Copay.
Check out TREZOR Apps page.

TREZOR Connect API does all those things you are asking for
  • Login
    Export public key
    Sign transaction
    Request payment
We have redesinged the Connect API so it's ow very easy to implement Trezor support to any bitcoin wallet, exchange and service.
If you are asking about a custom homescreen, that is currently available for public testing at beta.mytrezor.com.
Very much! :) We are into anything that makes sense and have a dedicated integration guru Martin, so feel free to contact him via integration@satoshilabs.com.
Not at the moment. Each output must be checked on the Trezor's screen and confirmed physically, because data streamed to the device from the computer are not trusted by default - so automatic signing is not possible, nevertheless if you have any idea how it could work, please let us know.
We have many plans, most of them are not publishable yet. Our main goals are to use today's capabilities of Trezor for new areas, such as secure messaging, identity management, password management etc. The priority is still to have a super secure bitcoin wallet and luckily we can introduce many new features without compromising on the btc wallet security.
As for the hardware, we are quite happy with the current scheme but we may introduce a larger screen and a few new details.
hi Alena,

didn't the NSA deprecate P-256?

http://blog.cryptographyengineering.com ... e.html?m=1

Alena
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:20 pm

Windowly thank you too.. Here my answers:
Do you use a trezor for your own bitcoins? What about the other staff -- do they use it regularly?
Of course. My own bitcoins and all SatoshiLabs bitcoins are securely stored on a Trezor. Sometimes when I meet other bitcoiners in person, they ask me the same. My response is "Here take my Trezor if you want" :)
The overall security design of Trezor (the HD structure with Recovery seed + PIN protected against keyloggers + passphrase + the screen + the buttons + the limited USB protocol) make me quite confident about the security.

As for using bitcoins, I live of bitcoin since 2013 and of course try to use it as often as possible. My favorite place to spend bitcoins is Paralelni Polis - the first bitcoin-only place in the world and my favorite cafe in Prague.

I'm such an enthusiast that I even pay my parking fines with BTC
https://twitter.com/AlenaSatoshi/status ... 1879230464

Recently, Cashila did a great job implementing Trezor, which allows my to pay basically any bills with BTC - securely, directly from my Trezor device. Check it out: cashila.com
What are your thoughts on the bitcoin scaling debate?
I feel I'm not the best person to answer this question from a technical point of view, although Slush did his best to enlighten me :). But please, go ahead and ask this question directly to Slush on 3rd December here on ama.bitcoin.com, he will do a separate Slush Pool-AMA.

My collaborative female part speaking here - let's allow bitcoin to grow, let's work together to bring in the best feasible solution. The solution doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, it has to work and be flexible enough for the future.

At the same time, we should be careful about giving the miners too much power - simply because the mining business concentrates in the hands of a few big farmers - as opposed to the original decentralized idea of solo mining or traditional mining pools such as Slush Pool, where individual miners still have their vote.
99$ seem a bit steep for a hardware wallet; are there any plans or thoughts of trying to produce cheaper hardware wallets?
I think $99 is a VERY reasonable investment into a complete peace of mind for my bitcoins. It is an insurance for the entire current (and future) value, that you only pay once.

When I imagine how much I paid for the bank account insurance (and tx fees) in a span of few years, I'm perfectly fine with having my OWN bank for $99. Besides, Trezor is constantly adding new features, so stay tuned, because you are getting a security tool for way more than your bitcoins.

In any case, when you look around, Trezor is today by far the cheapest secure hw wallet with a screen and buttons.

Alena
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi Alena

Prague seems like a hotspot for European bitcoin development, yet the bitcoin meetup group seems almost dead.
I've frequently visit the city and have checked out the fantastic Parallelpolis but was wondering if there are any other meetup groups yourself, satoshilabs and slush friends regularly attend. ?

Thanks
meetup.com is not being used much here, but the community is very alive and active.
Paralelni Polis FB page
Czech Bitcoin Community on FB

There is a weekly Tuesday bitcoin meetup in Paralelni Polis, often attended by 50-60+ people. One is starting in few moments - with Slush presenting basics of bitcoin to newbies.

Me and SatoshiLabs crew is attending meetups in Polis as well as other bitcoin events that happen there. One of my colleagues Martin is the organizer of the BTC meetup group, he does a great work creating a weekly program with interesting speakers for most of the meetups.

Czech Republic is also home to several interesting bitcoin startups such as General Bytes, the producer of the Bitcoin ATM, or Bitcoinpay, Coinmate.io, etc..

Theo
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi Alena,

What is the future of Slush Pool? Will it continue to be able to compete with the pools that are more dominated by large farms?

What is your opinon on the blocksize limit discussion? Do you have a BIP that you favor? What about BIP 105?

Would a Trezor survive a EMP attack?

-Theo

Alena
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Hey Alena,

1- Trezor was the first to hit the HW market but in the last months a lot of competition is coming (Ledger, Case, etc...), do you still consider yourself as the market leader? Why?
Definitely. TREZOR leads the innovation from the beginning and we are far from exhausting our potential.
We put a lot of thought into our future developments planning. We focus on user experience while preserving an ultimate security.

Trezor is the most ubiquitous hw wallet, sold to almost 100 countries around the world and definitely a best seller, despite not being the cheapest option.

Most importantly, we have no reports of any bitcoins stolen from a Trezor wallet and that's our best recommendation.

2- What are the main advantages/disadvantages between Trezor and your competition?
If I were a customer looking for a HW how would you pitch me to choose your product instead of other alternatives?

Very simply: Trezor is most secure and easy to use hw wallet you can get.

Here's a list of the most important features.

It supports multiple crypto currencies, but also secure password-less login to websites or SSH login for sysadmins and much more to come...
3- You said that TREZOR is gradually expanding into a digital identity vault, could you explain that in more detail?
What are your future plans for Trezor wallet?

Thanks for your time
The private keys generated in a secure offline environment of a Trezor device and the signatures derived from Trezor allow us to do anything from authentication of a user, to encryption of "anything", to authorization of actions. We are keeping Trezor a secure offline device that can interact with whatever online interface and that is giving its user a vast potential landscape. For technical details and practical implementations stay tuned, we'll be introducing exciting developments gradually.

CryptAxe
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi Bitcoiners!
Hi Alena, I'm curious about your motivation / what got you interested to get into CryptoCurrency. What do you think the most important aspect of Bitcoin as a technology is, and do you feel that Bitcoin has sociological benefits in additional to technological benefits? Thanks!
CryptAxe.com | bitcoinhivemind.com

Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1BkBbYn6JL1VBuFQcYK4UXm4HPxWWCSGfc

Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi Alena,

1.- Is Satoshi Labs participating in Bitcoin Black Friday?

2.- Will there ever be a metallic Trezor limited edition?

3.- Has Bitcoin adoption continued to grow in Prague?

And that is all. I was just passing through here. One needs to be everywhere this days.

P2XTPool

Donate BTC of your choice to 1XTPooL57E61XPUy12GdnAXbPRAhWZVyj

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:15 pm

Hey Alena!

Thank you for such an awesome product! I don't get to use it half as often as I wish, but when I do, it's the best device I could imagine :)

My question is from a situation where someone on reddit had so many small inputs, that it was impossible to spend them all, as the device didn't cope with all the inputs. Have you tested internally to verify the issue? Do you have any plans to resolve it?
P2XTPool - One of the first P2Pool for BIP101 mining!
stratum+tcp://p2xtpool.ddns.net:9332 -u [address] -p x

nyeko_12
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DBAq46iSNLTsq33dySBpYpaFqH3pTi9sk

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Alena!

When will you be able to pay for your items at satoshi labs with Paypal and 3D Secure by Visa?
Will you have discounts during Black Friday,Boxing Day and New Years?
Also What are your opinions regarding the Blocksize-issue? are you for BIP100(increase of up to 17%)/BIP101(8 MB and up to GBs)/BIP103(2-4-8-32MB)?
Do you hold bitcoins yourself(in the trezor,web Wallet,mobile wallet or desktop wallet)?

Alena
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:57 pm

Hi Theo :)
Hi Alena,
What is the future of Slush Pool? Will it continue to be able to compete with the pools that are more dominated by large farms?
Shortly, yes. Slush Pool has stable 6-10% of market share, constantly developing new cool stuff, I think it has the best interface among all pools today. Dedicated support, great infrastructure and we have plans to grow :idea: despite large farmers.

I believe it's important to have pools like the Slush Pool, giving voice to individual miners. The Bitcoin network should be as much decentralized as possible..
What is your opinon on the blocksize limit discussion? Do you have a BIP that you favor? What about BIP 105?
I advise you ask Slush, he will do an AMA on 3rd December as he has a much better technical understanding of all the proposals.

Let's take the best feasible proposal and implement it. Whether it is BIP101 or BIP105.. I'm a business developer. As such I want to see a functional network and less negative publicity. If we see the new standard needs further fine-tuning, I'm sure our core devs will sit down again. I trust them to be reasonable and only focus on facts, avoiding unnecessary ego-fights.

Would a Trezor survive a EMP attack?
If there's an EMP attack, we will be solving different, rather existential problems. Trezor is a simple electronic device that may suffer just as any other devices, our computers, servers etc. Fortunately with Trezor, you still have the paper backup (Recovery seed) that should survive :)
So once back online, you can do a recovery of your bitcoins into a new Trezor device or a compatible wallet.

Alena
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 pm

Hey AvatarX :) You are omnipresent.. I have to learn from you a lot :)
Hi Alena,

1.- Is Satoshi Labs participating in Bitcoin Black Friday?
Sure! We'll be sending out a newsletter about it on Thursday..

For those who want to subscribe to our Newsletter, you can do that on bitcointrezor.com

2.- Will there ever be a metallic Trezor limited edition?
There will be something very cool. Please be patient... It's worth ;)
3.- Has Bitcoin adoption continued to grow in Prague?

And that is all. I was just passing through here. One needs to be everywhere this days.
Adoption in terms of merchant adoption is not huge, but in terms of number of transactions and people getting into bitcoin, I'm quite confident that Prague is the top bitcoin city of the world.

All that thanks to amazing effort of the team in Paralelni Polis, the bitcoin-only Institute of Cryptoanarchy, Co-working space, 3D printing lab and cafe in one. SatoshiLabs team members are frequently there too as well as other bitcoin startups, but mostly important, newbies to bitcoin appear every day. People of all ages and interests get their first bitcoin wallet in Polis and do their first BTC transactions there.

Everyone is welcome to visit and see how a Bitcoin Embassy (if I may call Polis this way) could work anywhere else! :)

Dante

Donate BTC of your choice to 13gJhUPvaREMD2So1bCB2WizRsWmZpqrzZ

Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi Alena,

I'm running the https://beta.mytrezor.com and somewhere I recall reading that it was going to have the ability to name addresses. Was I mistaken?

I have poked around looking to find this feature to no avail.

Alena
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:16 am

Hi CryptAxe (cool nick btw :)
Hi Bitcoiners!
Hi Alena, I'm curious about your motivation / what got you interested to get into CryptoCurrency. What do you think the most important aspect of Bitcoin as a technology is, and do you feel that Bitcoin has sociological benefits in additional to technological benefits? Thanks!
Bitcoin caught my attention in 2010 while I was researching for my thesis on International Monetary System in the current imbalances. I was studying Economic Diplomac, knowing that money is THE tool of power, so whoever rules over the money issuance, distribution and transmission, rules the world. My understanding of bitcoin by that time was "bitcoin as international money". With time and mainly thanks to my future partners at SatoshiLabs stick and slush I understood that Bitcoin is much more.

Bitcoin gives us the opportunity of free expression, ownership and trade.

But in order to do so, any application of bitcoin (be it money, or smart assets or investment tool or a voting platform..) must be 1. easy to use and 2. secure. We aim for that with TREZOR, as a secure private bank/vault available to everyone. As a tangible representation of the digital assets. So any individual or any business owner can be confident to be safe even in the online jungle out there..
That's where a Bitcoin & TREZOR combo can greatly help.

This idea got me into BTC - when slush told me about Trezor early 2013 I knew this is an interesting and demanding project but also very important step forward.

We started to work over nights for several months, did the crowdfunding to finance early R&D and production and then founded SatoshiLabs together in December 2013.

The security of Bitcoin is impressive too - the decentralized / distributed model can be applied to alleviate the risk of hacks of many centralized databases. Just take the example of an online bitcoin wallet that does NOT keep any bitcoins. There's nothing to steal and since the assets are distributed to the users and well protected by an end-user device such as Trezor, we are looking at a completely different scenario.

Now the same principle can be applied to much more than just cryptocurrencies.

Although I don't think Bitcoin is a cure for everything, I'd like to see Bitcoin and the blockchain technology work in the background of many online services.

Alena
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:20 am

Hi Alena,

I'm running the https://beta.mytrezor.com and somewhere I recall reading that it was going to have the ability to name addresses. Was I mistaken?

I have poked around looking to find this feature to no avail.
Yes, you just need to first allow for Labeling by clicking the Dropbox icon and logging into your Dropbox account (or creating one).

All user-added information is fully encrypted by a key derived from TREZOR device before being uploaded to the Dropbox folder, effectively preventing data leaks or misuse.

Read more here https://medium.com/@satoshilabs/bitcoin ... .jghsu5v4y

Alena
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:24 am

Hello Alena,

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
Having met or read about a few people in the bitcoin community, I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight their opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.)

I'm now asking every participants the same question:

- Do you mind to tell us which percentage of your net worth and/or liquid assets you hold in Bitcoins ?
Maybe too much, I'm not being reasonable according to most financial advisers :)

Alena
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:37 am

Hi Alena!

When will you be able to pay for your items at satoshi labs with Paypal and 3D Secure by Visa?
Not Paypal but credit/debit cards are in the process. We still prefer bitcoins and we will always give incntives for paying with BTC .
Will you have discounts during Black Friday,Boxing Day and New Years?
Black Friday - yes, Xmas - probably, Boxing Day??

We inform our newsletter subscribers so unless you are one of them already, you can opt-in via bitcointrezor.com.
Also What are your opinions regarding the Blocksize-issue? are you for BIP100(increase of up to 17%)/BIP101(8 MB and up to GBs)/BIP103(2-4-8-32MB)?
Please check out some other responses in this AMA on this topic and surely don't miss the AMA of Slush on 3rd December
Do you hold bitcoins yourself(in the trezor,web Wallet,mobile wallet or desktop wallet)?
Of course, I live of bitcoin since 2013.
My BTC are in a Trezor and I have some smaller amounts in my Mycelium wallet and on my BTC NFC card issued by Paralelni Polis.

Soon, I'll have some coins transferred to a multisig wallet via Copay - which has just released a beautiful Trezor-multisig implementation today.

Alena
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:47 am

Hi Chris, nice to see you here :)
Two questions/comments:

1. Before the Trezor went for sale, I was literally planning to buy *hundreds* of them and just hand them out to anyone I thought might be interested in Bitcoin. I wasn't expecting them to cost $100, of course (but I still bought 10, including 2 metal ones, so don't think I'm not a fan!!!). Have you considered that you might increase profits by lowering the price and going for higher volume production? I could imagine Coinbase giving offering one to everyone of their 2.8 million users if the price point was low enough...
I hear you and we'll do our best to make that possible.
We are working on a Trezor 2.0 including new hardware and new strategy, also open to talk and already speaking to some potential investors that could help there.
2. I have been waiting AGES to use two trezors (one held by me and one by my wife) to control a multisig-HD account. When will this be possible + user-friendly? Any estimates?
Good news - TODAY :shock:
Copay's Chrome App Adds TREZOR Hardware Wallet Support

The implementation is the best multisig what I have seen so far, but bear in mind it's still multisig - so rather an advanced feature.
It is the first release so we and the Copay team will be polishing the text and preparing some how-to's. Go ahead and try it out.

Alena
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:04 am

Hey Alena!
Thank you for such an awesome product! I don't get to use it half as often as I wish, but when I do, it's the best device I could imagine :)
thank you too 8-)
My question is from a situation where someone on reddit had so many small inputs, that it was impossible to spend them all, as the device didn't cope with all the inputs. Have you tested internally to verify the issue? Do you have any plans to resolve it?
Sending a tx composed of hundreds of small inputs can be a lengthy process.
To sign transaction with hundreds of inputs, we need to stream all previous transactions into device, for every signed input. That means roughly 200^2 transaction verifications for 200 inputs to sign. That can be slow, but it does not limit the device for any particular size of signed transaction.

It should not crash though so there must be an issue with the browser or sth else. My team is looking into that case.

CryptAxe
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:35 am

Hi CryptAxe (cool nick btw :)
Thank you for giving me such a great and thorough response, I'm really happy to hear that you understand the fundamentals of what Bitcoin really is. I see way too many people running Bitcoin companies that I don't think are in it for the best reasons and fundamentally misunderstand the goals of the project. Glad to have you on board, I can't afford a trezor right now but I'm going to get one soon!
CryptAxe.com | bitcoinhivemind.com

npxcomplete

Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:14 am

Hi Alena,

I get the advantages of Trezor at the high level, but I think you're site does a rather poor job of explaining the abilities and workflow of the device. I'm referring specifically to the FAQ.
Here are the questions I'm left with:

Can I use it to sign arbitrary files?
Can I use it as an ssh-agent?

I'm not a bitcoin user as of yet (researcher who got pulled into the blockchain hype) but those two feature alone are enough to make me consider buying the device. What I'd really like as well is to be able to link to Trezors together and have them automatically trade public keys and trade back key signatures. Give me a secure device that does that (solves strong identity) and I'll not just buy it I'll order bulk and start handing them out to friends.

What other features might it provide that have nothing to do with bitcoin?
Why does it need or care about myTrezor.com? Doesn't this break the whole notion of decentralization?
How do you protect against keylogging?
- If a system has been infected with a root kit and you can block it's key logger I think you just put every other anti virus system out of business ;)

Thx

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”