vanityaddrs
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to bc1qthrhmdmfawq6w4lzmjrce3reuxt06pvvnhpk

Is anyone mining Monero?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:10 am

If yes, what hardware and software? Pool or solo?

I use pool.minexmr.com in the background, with a GPU miner. I probably shouldn't do this on one of my MSI gaming laptops... ;) Hash rate sucks though.

Has anyone been able to get to the megahashes/sec with Monero?
BTC bc1qthrhmdmfawq6w4lzmjrce3reuxt06pvvnhpkj6

lethos3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Is anyone mining Monero?

Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Last edited by lethos3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanityaddrs
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Because of how cryptonight works you'll not get MH/s unless you have a supercomputer.

Or a very very large pool.

check https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/
Oh. Thanks. That explains why most pools have some number of megahashes, but nowhere near the TH/s or better speeds of large Bitcoin pools.

And why with top end GPUs the hash rate varies between 700 H/s to 900 H/s it seems. I thought that must have been a mistake. Talk about memory-hard. 2MB per instance which depends on all previous blocks being in memory according to the whitepaper. A better scrypt than Litecoin's, that for once doesn't (or tries not to) favour those who can afford a bunch of expensive ASICs.

It seems the newish AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core / 32 threads with 32MB L3 cache could be a winner for Monero mining. That would assume 16 cores rather than threads having access to their own 2MB of L3 cache, which seems to be the case.

lethos3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Last edited by lethos3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanityaddrs
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:37 pm

It seems the newish AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core / 32 threads with 32MB L3 cache could be a winner for Monero mining. That would assume 16 cores rather than threads having access to their own 2MB of L3 cache, which seems to be the case.
yep, they even advertized it as so: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news ... 69873.html
Edit: change Bitcoin to cryptocurrency.

So they did! Thanks for that. Should have just googled for the chip and "cryptocurrency mining" :)

Should be interesting when Sapphire and other manufactuers come out with their cryptocurrency mining GPUs; it seems like they will be made for that purpose and not for gaming or displays, according to an article on bitcoin.com's News pages.

I was excited at the prospect of external GPUs to connect to laptops without having to buy a big, bulky desktop or other type unit, until I found the links are mostly proprietary and aren't just plug and play with e.g. USB3 or type C ports. I guess USB's sustained throughput doesn't cut it right now.

Return to “Monero”