magma
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Magmaqvxx7LpUTYGWw8RNPEJXBQ6iSLVX

Bitcoin.org adding paid advertisements

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:50 am

https://github.com/bitcoin-dot-org/bitc ... ssues/1139

I think this is hilarious since bitcoin.org bashed bitcoin.com for having ads on the page.
Magma Hindenburg - Bitcoin wallet developer

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Re: Bitcoin.org adding paid advertisements

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:30 am

maybe Theymos can now pay additional $10 mio for the new forum :lol:
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

NLNico
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Fcn7M1AjgA9RFPm59RqiTCCD6tKKS5vN9

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:44 am

I think this is hilarious since bitcoin.org bashed bitcoin.com for having ads on the page.
I highly disagree. There is a huge difference between recommending 1 wallet/exchange to new users based on payments and showing a transparent (with disclaimer) advertisement in the footer. Running ads to earn some income or to cover server/DDoS-protection costs isn't a huge problem. Recommending users wallets/exchanges purely based on payments, even if that option isn't the best, is a problem. BTW I already expressed my opinion about that in another topic and Roger said he will "likely" change some things about that - so that would be great.

Ps, if the advertisements on bitcoin.org end up being misleading and/or intrusive, etc. I will be the first one to complain. But initially by looking at that github discussion, I don't think there is much of a problem with it and I think there is a very clear difference with the "ads" on bitcoin.com atm.

CryptAxe
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:35 am

Ps, if the advertisements on bitcoin.org end up being misleading and/or intrusive, etc. I will be the first one to complain. But initially by looking at that github discussion, I don't think there is much of a problem with it and I think there is a very clear difference with the "ads" on bitcoin.com atm.
I'm pretty sure I saw Paycoin and other Garza scam related advertisements on bitcointalk which theymos also runs.
CryptAxe.com | bitcoinhivemind.com

NLNico
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Fcn7M1AjgA9RFPm59RqiTCCD6tKKS5vN9

Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:03 am

I have seen theymos frequently denying ads in his auctions too. But yeh, sometimes you might accept an ad that ends up being a scam. Unfortunate truth.

Actually theymos is the one in that github discussion suggesting to put the ad in the footer and to put a disclaimer (to emphasize it's only an ad), so that seems good suggestions to me? If the ads Cobra (not theymos afaik?) accepts, are related to scams and/or sketchy... we can still just complain? I don't see the problem..

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”