vitalino

What do you think about using bitcoins by terrorists?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:43 am

is it true? how can we stop it?

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Re: What do you think about using bitcoins by terrorists?

Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:56 am

I am sure terrorist use cash, bank transfers and any other money transmitting services to pay for the stupid ideas. I wish they would just pool all their money together and blow themselves up, if they really believe in all those virgins then why wouldn't they do it.

I really think it's just the big bad fat cat bankers running scarred and getting their mates in the media industry to release all the "terrorist use bitcoin" stories just to make it look bad and in turn put public pressure on the government to do something about regulating the industry.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

fpivan15
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:56 pm

How about the recent cyber attack on Ukraine? A great example in my opinion.
In Ukraine, it was cyber attack via email letters. Most Likely from Russian hackers. But there not was anything related with bitcoins.

Daniel west
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Why should we stop it in a first place? Terrorists use air - ban air. The thing you mentioned is equally absurd. We should stop terrorists, not ban or change things which they are using. To prevent terrorists from using it, it must become not anonymous. And the thing is it would prevent casual users from using it too.

cryptobit
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Using bitcoin by Terrorist is one general concern because it's decentralized and can be used by anyone in the world who knows to access Internet. But in one more way it's also a stupidity(for them) by them as they will need some exchange or peer to peer connection to cash it out and could also be possibly get caught.

Possum577
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Exx48BUTb57hPND67Mt5WwPXiTA9CjoEs

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:59 pm

You stop it by not negotiating with terrorists. Full stop.

They get nothing. Ever. And while the government is entertaining their requests they're working to find out where they are to find and capture them.

Bitcoin didn't start theft. Bitcoin didn't start terrorism. And Bitcoin won't be able to stop either.

And to lend credibility to another members comment (in a slightly different way), terrorists use planes...should we ban the public's use of planes?

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:27 am

Yes, everyone knows that terrorists use bitcoin because it is a very comfortable currency. However, they used the usual cash in the past. In this case, it doesn't depend on the type of money. Only a government that can protect all currencies, including Bitcoin. So, just government can control it.
Please tell me that is some type of joke "let the government control bitcoin" you must be joking :o
Any government would screw bitcoin up in the first week if they somehow had control, the 21 million cap would disappear to be replaced by a "as much as we can generate" cap.
Never, never, never!
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

wealthymario
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:13 am

Even though It's considered good that bitcoin keeps anonymous, but I think it has to identify the personal information in terms of crime experience and terror experience

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:27 am

Even though It's considered good that bitcoin keeps anonymous, but I think it has to identify the personal information in terms of crime experience and terror experience
That's why bitcoin exchanges have to comply with KYC and AML laws but there is no need for the government to know who hold the private keys to each and every bitcoin address out there, it would be an impossible task for them to undertake anyway.

Just remember that bitcoin is not as anonymous as a lot of people think, i am sure they will soon be arresting many of the perpetrators of the wannacry and Peta ransom ware viruses simply because the people running these scams now are mostly wannabe cyber crims who have purchased these scripts and think that as long as they use bitcoin they can get away with anything, they will learn the hard way.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am

Yes, terrorists use cryptocurrency, because there are certain benefits, such as the impossibility of tracking all transactions. However, they also use regular currency... As for me, the problem isn't in the cryptocurrency, but in the existence of terrorists. Can we stop them? I don't think so.
I think you have a little more homework to do on bitcoin before commenting in a way that can scare and spread FUD onto others.
All bitcoin transactions take place on a public ledger called the blockchain that anyone can look at, no hiding anything when you send bitcoins to each other.

patrick.miller
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:14 am

Yes, terrorists use cryptocurrency, because there are certain benefits, such as the impossibility of tracking all transactions. However, they also use regular currency... As for me, the problem isn't in the cryptocurrency, but in the existence of terrorists. Can we stop them? I don't think so.
I think you have a little more homework to do on bitcoin before commenting in a way that can scare and spread FUD onto others.
All bitcoin transactions take place on a public ledger called the blockchain that anyone can look at, no hiding anything when you send bitcoins to each other.

There are many ways to obfuscate transactions and history. The first of course is an HD wallet and always using new keys. Don't reuse keys, this is like the very first thing everyone must know.

Blockchain analysis is big business! But if you have nothing to hide, then you're okay. While it's easy to track the history of coins, there's no identity attached to those coins so you really have no idea if the private keys are stored on the other side of the world or next door, especially if people go through tor or other obfuscation techniques.

One new technology that helps with fungibility a lot is Open Dime https://opendime.com/

That said, terrorists will use cash, gold, bullets, food, cigarettes, or whatever contraband as currency. I think for terrorists that weapons and bullets are far more dangerous than Bitcoins, so maybe we should focus on where they are getting those from first. All in all, there's no way to stop them from using Bitcoin just as there is no way to stop bankers from using Bitcoin. If they want to use it, they'll use it. Nothing we can really do about it.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:48 am

There are many ways to obfuscate transactions and history. The first of course is an HD wallet and always using new keys. Don't reuse keys, this is like the very first thing everyone must know.

Blockchain analysis is big business! But if you have nothing to hide, then you're okay. While it's easy to track the history of coins, there's no identity attached to those coins so you really have no idea if the private keys are stored on the other side of the world or next door, especially if people go through tor or other obfuscation techniques.

One new technology that helps with fungibility a lot is Open Dime https://opendime.com/

That said, terrorists will use cash, gold, bullets, food, cigarettes, or whatever contraband as currency. I think for terrorists that weapons and bullets are far more dangerous than Bitcoins, so maybe we should focus on where they are getting those from first. All in all, there's no way to stop them from using Bitcoin just as there is no way to stop bankers from using Bitcoin. If they want to use it, they'll use it. Nothing we can really do about it.
Yes that is correct, if you know what you are doing then you can mix your coins in a way that would make it very hard for people to track them down but as you say Blockchain analysis is big business these days, a lot of these companies know what they are doing now and can follow bitcoins through mixers and out to an address on the other side, diffidently not in all cases or even many but they have been know n too do so in some.

The final hurdle for many who have lots of stolen/hacked or darknet market coins come when they want to "cash out" there to the local currency they need, although you do have services such as localbitcoins and meet ups where this can be done for cash it's going to be hard to find someone with $500k in their pocket to buy up what you may have to sell.

I'll have a look at Open Dime, never heard about it before, thanks.

JoeyG

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:14 am

To tell you the truth, any technology can be abused by criminals. But that does not mean, a good thing must be banned from use. Its like saying, should we ban plastic, because it kills environment, or perhaps ban social media because it instigates unintended public outcry. However, we should take measures to follow rules of engagement when using crypto-currencies.

Being vigilant and disciplined in science and technology, is of paramount significance. Without vigilance and discipline, no world can survive at the hands of evil forces.

Source: Are Bitcoins illegal

gogandmog
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:09 am

Is it true?
No. Unless you are talking about the real terrorists of course.
How to stop it?
Real terrorism is those politician bastards.

alinadixon11
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Different people use BTC , and terrorists are no exception (as well as drug dealers and arms dealers). Stop BTC or terrorists? The answer is one. This can not be stopped. :? Terrorists will always exist (with the exception of a distant future), and stopping BTC does not make any sense.

vanityaddrs
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to bc1qthrhmdmfawq6w4lzmjrce3reuxt06pvvnhpk

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:14 pm

We can't, unless they are incredibly stupid and their private keys can be seized. We can't stop violent groups using bitcoins any more than we can stop states engaged in violent or terrorist acts creating and using their own currency.
BTC bc1qthrhmdmfawq6w4lzmjrce3reuxt06pvvnhpkj6

vanityaddrs
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to bc1qthrhmdmfawq6w4lzmjrce3reuxt06pvvnhpk

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm

I am sure terrorist use cash, bank transfers and any other money transmitting services to pay for the stupid ideas. I wish they would just pool all their money together and blow themselves up, if they really believe in all those virgins then why wouldn't they do it.

I really think it's just the big bad fat cat bankers running scarred and getting their mates in the media industry to release all the "terrorist use bitcoin" stories just to make it look bad and in turn put public pressure on the government to do something about regulating the industry.
Bingo. These arguments are put forward to the general population as the excuse, and not the real reason at all.
BTC bc1qthrhmdmfawq6w4lzmjrce3reuxt06pvvnhpkj6

Neoclassical
Banned
Banned

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:27 am

Cash is used by terrorist as well. They are testing grounds for any new tech.
We don't need no centralisation. ImageImageImage

KathPine

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 pm

I guess it's true. Ukraine is an example...

CryptoSapien
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1MuzZKXhi6zKhBC7TLSF93yzhaKvZtaVpG

Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:45 pm

We cant.. But my guess is that more terrorists use US dollars more than they use Bitcoin. The day the government stops them from using the USD is the day we can start worrying about this. I just think the whole argument of bitcoin being used by terrorists absurd. This is just a way for governments to try and scare people away from buying bitcoins. Dont let these governments fool you. Keep calm and buy bitcoins.

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”