Bobbyg123yo

Found in dust 27 bitcoins(2010)

Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Okay I need some help. In 2010 I traded something for 27 bitcoins on an old Mac Powerbook G4. I just found it in my parents garage and remembered it. Before anything I have to wait for the charger I just ordered but I don't remember the wallet keys or any programs I used to store them.

Basically is there any reason to persue finding the bitcoins on the laptop?

Should I bother?
I had an offer for the laptop on another site but it sounds like Id be getting stiffed because he only offered 2 bitcoins and the laptop was used to trade for 27 but truth be told idk how to even find them let alone trade them for money

Possum577
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Exx48BUTb57hPND67Mt5WwPXiTA9CjoEs

Re: Found in dust 27 bitcoins(2010)

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Well, first off, don't let that 2btc offer fade away...it might be your best option.

Second, for anyone here to begin to assist we need to know all the details. Do you remember what wallet application you used? When you say "keys" are you referring to the private key or a pass phrase. If it was an online wallet then it's possible you just need to crack your password, there are services (and people on the forum) that will brute force in for a fair fee. If it's private keys in a wallet file it may still be on the laptop somewhere.

And, Yes, I think 27 btc is worth spending a bit of time, money, and effort to retrieve.

Bobbyg123yo

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 am

Thanks yeah I have no idea what program I used, but I did have to download the program and use some sort of filter to download a file or maybe a proxy? Im not sure exactly pretty sure this was dial up Internet were talking. Probably best to wait for the charger and see if the program is still installed on the laptop I guess. I would have no idea what the program was called maybe I'll look up the names of programs available circa 2010. If you have an idea of them help would be appreciated

Possum577
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Exx48BUTb57hPND67Mt5WwPXiTA9CjoEs

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:34 am

Probably best to wait for the charger and see if the program is still installed on the laptop I guess. I would have no idea what the program was called maybe I'll look up the names of programs available circa 2010. If you have an idea of them help would be appreciated
Yes, wait until the charger arrives, boot that sucker up and see if you can find the program. If it's a wallet program you downloaded to your PC the files for the wallet you own should also be on your PC. Smart folks in this Forum, keep me honest!

I'll stay positive with you...there's still a chance you'll recover your loot! Hang in there!

Rmcdermott927
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:44 am

If you get that charger, and the laptop still boots, see if you can figure out what wallet program you used. If you need help when it arrives, message me on here. I am familiar with the few wallet options that were available at the time and can likely point you in the right direction.

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:54 am

Before you do anything else, please read my two posts here:

post31992.html#p31992

post62813.html#p62813

You will likely just need to import your wallet.dat file into a full client (and it is highly unlikely that it will be password protected as Bitcoin Core did not have that feature for another few years at that time) - but the two most important things to take from my posts are:

1. Don't share your wallet.dat file with anyone; if you do, you are giving up the private keys which control your bitcoins and the person you share your wallet.dat file with will literally own your bitcoins. In the unlikely event that it is password protected and you think you can remember most of the password there is a reuptable service which may be able to assist you but you use it at your own risk.

2. Make a copy (or copies) of the wallet.dat file before you do anything with it. Don't back it up into the cloud, but do back it up onto a couple of USB sticks. This way if you mess something up or delete it, etc., you can just copy and paste it back from your USB stick to work on again.

Once you have managed to restore your wallet send the bitcoins to another wallet to ensure that if anybody else does get their hands on the wallet.dat file it will be useless and empty. I would highly recommend a hardware wallet for that amount of bitcoins but these are on backorder almost everywhere.

In the meantime you might consider using the Bitcoin.com wallet to store your bitcoins - if you have a computer and a mobile device you can install our wallet on both of them to set up a '2 of 3' wallet, which basically means you will need access to both devices if you wish to spend your bitcoins. It's technically not as secure as a hardware wallet, but it's a hell of a lot more secure than storing your bitcoins solely on a single computer or device that might be susceptible to malware, etc.

wealthymario
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:05 am

Best action you can take is waiting for that charger to come and never selling laptop for two BTC. That laptop can be a jackpot. And the reason someone tries to get your laptop means he know how to find out all the information to dig out 27BTC. So never give up and take a step by step. It's almost 60k worth project

CryptoSapien
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1MuzZKXhi6zKhBC7TLSF93yzhaKvZtaVpG

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Best action you can take is waiting for that charger to come and never selling laptop for two BTC. That laptop can be a jackpot. And the reason someone tries to get your laptop means he know how to find out all the information to dig out 27BTC. So never give up and take a step by step. It's almost 60k worth project
I agree with this...In 2 -5 years it will be worth even more. Then the PO will be kicking himself.

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:38 pm

Can you update the thread? Did you sell those babies?
Whichever chain wins,the world wins ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Wallets”