Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
moneta
AMA
AMA

I'm Gary Le, co-founder of Moneta, the world's first implementation of Zerocoin. AMA

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Gary Le, co-founder of Moneta, which is the world's first implementation of Zerocoin ( http://moneta.cash ).

The Zerocoin Protocol is a cryptographic protocol that add an additional layer of privacy on top of the Bitcoin protocol. It uses "Zero-Knowledge Proofs" to guarantee that transactions are completely anonymous and private.

If you are interested in participating in our testnet, stay tuned as we hope to open up the testnet soon.

I look forward to your questions 8-)

Gary

creationlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: I'm Gary Le, co-founder of Moneta, the world's first implementation of Zerocoin. AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:12 am

I know zooko has been working on Zerocoin for sometime. How closely are you working with him on this project?

You also mention sidechains, I was under the impression zerocoin requires a Bitcoin fork in some manner, how do you think you would implement this in Bitcoin or would you be using atomic swaps, or what implementation to get zerocoin integrated?

Are you at all worried about maintaining the security of a sidechain e.g. mining or what would be the process to run this in a secure manner?
We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.
-Alan Turing

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Re: I'm Gary Le, co-founder of Moneta, the world's first implementation of Zerocoin. AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:40 am

Hi Gary,

Can you explain just how private your Moneta transactions will be from 3rd parties trying to analyze the Moneta blockchain?
How much will they be able to figure out about who is transacting with who?
What is motivating you to build something like this?
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:56 am

I know zooko has been working on Zerocoin for sometime. How closely are you working with him on this project?

You also mention sidechains, I was under the impression zerocoin requires a Bitcoin fork in some manner, how do you think you would implement this in Bitcoin or would you be using atomic swaps, or what implementation to get zerocoin integrated?

Are you at all worried about maintaining the security of a sidechain e.g. mining or what would be the process to run this in a secure manner?
Hey there,

Good question, and it's good that people recognize the value of atomic swaps. We are actually looking to implement atomic swaps at some point ( although no guarantees there ). We mostly just mention sidechains because unless you are very deep in bitcoin, sidechains might be more easy to conceptualize. But we think atomic swaps are just as good, or if not, better.

If sidechains is ever accepted by miners, we would look forward to integrating with that as well. Right now, sidechains is more of an after-thought than anything else.

Our project and Zooko's are two independent projects. I think that Zooko is working on Zerocash, which uses ZK-SNARKS, also a form of zero-knowledge proofs. The more privacy-preserving technologies out there, the better =)

creationlayer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:26 am

Hey there,

Good question, and it's good that people recognize the value of atomic swaps. We are actually looking to implement atomic swaps at some point ( although no guarantees there ). We mostly just mention sidechains because unless you are very deep in bitcoin, sidechains might be more easy to conceptualize. But we think atomic swaps are just as good, or if not, better.

If sidechains is ever accepted by miners, we would look forward to integrating with that as well. Right now, sidechains is more of an after-thought than anything else.

Our project and Zooko's are two independent projects. I think that Zooko is working on Zerocash, which uses ZK-SNARKS, also a form of zero-knowledge proofs. The more privacy-preserving technologies out there, the better =)
Right zerocash sorry for the confusion. Can you list the benefits of the project? I visited the web page but it would be great to have a simple list here. I see the anonymity, of course that's key but are there other key benefits this brings?
We can only see a short distance ahead, but we can see plenty there that needs to be done.
-Alan Turing

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:43 am

Hi Gary,

Can you explain just how private your Moneta transactions will be from 3rd parties trying to analyze the Moneta blockchain?
How much will they be able to figure out about who is transacting with who?
What is motivating you to build something like this?
Hey Roger,

As long as people use our privacy-preserving feature found on the wallet, 3rd parties will be completely blocked from any ability to analyze the Moneta blockchain. This is because when you send a transaction with Moneta, the only information seen on the blockchain is "Address A received X Moneta". The address from which "Address A" received Moneta has absolutely no transaction history. This is different from Bitcoin, in which by looking at the blockchain you can see "Address A received X BTC from Address B, who received Y BTC from address C, who we identified as 'Bob' because he posted his bitcoin address publicly with his name on Silk Road". In this manner, with Bitcoin, we could trace back several hundred transactions to find out who "Address A" is associated with.

The only way someone could figure out who is transacting with whom is by hacking into someone's computer and finding their private key, and hacking into the personal conversations with whomever they are transacting with.

In general, I’m motivated to do anything that will help increase individual liberty. By guaranteeing financial privacy, we hope that Moneta can help ensure freedom of commerce. People should be able to buy whatever they want, as long as it does not infringe on the well-being or individual liberty of others.

The current status quo is that the government has the power to violate due process rights on a mass scale without consequence. In various powerful departments (e.g NSA, IRS, ect) , the government can investigate bank account activity / bitcoin blockchain in an indiscriminate manner and on a mass-scale. We have no choice but to just "take their word on it" that they aren't violating due process. Moneta, when combined with Bitcoin, blocks them from doing so. We can trust the technology itself, rather than having to "trust the government's promises".

One particular thing that excites us is the possibility of pairing complete financial privacy with drones. Just imagine being able to send money to anyone completely privately, and then having a drone deliver something to you without Big Brother determining what you can or cannot buy.

Another big motivation is to help Bitcoin itself become a lot more private. There are 2 ways this can happen. First, if it becomes socially acceptable to make changes to Bitcoin's underlying protocol, perhaps it can be integrated into Bitcoin at some point in the future ( even if it takes a few decades ). Perhaps a few years down, it could also become a sidechain. Second, interestingly enough, we can make Bitcoin itself more private right now, even without any changes to Bitcoin's underlying protocol. This can theoretically be done today with atomic cross-chain swaps ( although it hasn't been implemented robustly yet ). So let's say you are a Bitcoin user that wants to keep your privacy. Then you could do a decentralized swap with Moneta, and then exchange that Moneta for a different set of Bitcoin again in a completely decentralized manner, thereby cutting off a link between you and your Bitcoin address. Note that this is different from a swap requiring a third party in which a centralized server could possibly be subpoenaed / hacked.

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:51 am

Hey there,

Right zerocash sorry for the confusion. Can you list the benefits of the project? I visited the web page but it would be great to have a simple list here. I see the anonymity, of course that's key but are there other key benefits this brings?
Quite frankly, we should update the website soon as it's a bit out of date. Our first priority happens to be anonymity / privacy, so our initial launch will just feature Zerocoin. We may consider implementing GHOST at some point to allow for much faster transactions ( https://eprint.iacr.org/2013/881.pdf ). It can allow for transactions to be confirmed as fast as Internet latency allows for them to be confirmed. We basically want to implement as many cryptocurrency protocol innovations as possible in the future.

hellobitcoinworld
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:08 am

I didn't know there was an implementation of Zerocoin in existence. That's amazing.

What will the ticker symbol be for Moneta?

I couldn't find Moneta on any exchanges (except for "Moneta Verde" which seems to NOT be the same thing at all). I also found this other "Moneta" which appears to not be your coin either: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=737548.0 (There are a quite a few coins called Moneta.)

If not released yet, what is your guesstimate for a release date?

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:18 am

I didn't know there was an implementation of Zerocoin in existence. That's amazing.

What will the ticker symbol be for Moneta?

I couldn't find Moneta on any exchanges (except for "Moneta Verde" which seems to NOT be the same thing at all). I also found this other "Moneta" which appears to not be your coin either: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=737548.0 (There are a quite a few coins called Moneta.)

If not released yet, what is your guesstimate for a release date?
We haven't decided on a ticker symbol yet, but we are all up to hear suggestions for that =)

We will launch our testnet first. In order to not let anyone down, we aren't saying our guesses on release date yet. But soon, so if you're interested please follow us on twitter account to stay in the loop: https://twitter.com/monetaproject

We'll probably have some bounties for bug finding, ect

CoinHoarder

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:32 am

How will you generate the parameters in a transparent and trust-less way?

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:33 am

I support their goal of privacy but when they say stuff like this:
For one, a malicious or compromised member of a ring signature can break privacy.
It makes you wonder if they truly understand how a ring signature works in current solutions of crypto that already exist. If you compromise the only party in the ring signature (yourself) then yeah you break privacy lol.

When you mix with other outputs in Monero you are the only person who knows what is really going on especially if you are using a high mixin number.

This is also based on new cryptography (not tested for a long period of time). But if you want to risk using it that's up to you.

They also do not address the drawbacks of using a zerocoin system as described by Dr. Adam Back:

(they fail to point out the cons of using zerocoin in its current form)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dAdI3Gzodo&t=32m46s

Zerocoin still has a trap door (i.e. in the RSA accumulator)

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:52 am

How will you generate the parameters in a transparent and trust-less way?
Good question, we are using the values from the RSA-2048 Factoring Challenge, which has been around since 1991. In the end of the day, nothing is actually completely trustless, but it is always possible to reduce the amount we need to rely on trust / minimize the trust required based on game theory.

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:00 am

Are these the same guys as zerovert?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=846471.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=391031

Team

The Zerovert team is dedicated to offering you the new gold standard in cryptocurrency privacy.

The founding team includes:
Poramin, who was also the designer and lead developer of Vertcoin - one of the top 5 most valuable cryptocurrencies by market-cap this February.

Gary, who invented the world's first cryptographic protocol to conduct Bitcoin-denominated peer-to-peer atomic cross chain option contracts for alternative cryptocurrencies.

Tim

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:31 am

No offense, but how can you claim the first implementation of zerocoin without running a successful test network? These claims have been public for 9 months now and your testnet is still coming soon(tm).

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:32 am

For one, a malicious or compromised member of a ring signature can break privacy.
It makes you wonder if they truly understand how a ring signature works in current solutions of crypto that already exist. If you compromise the only party in the ring signature (yourself) then yeah you break privacy lol.

When you mix with other outputs in Monero you are the only person who knows what is really going on especially if you are using a high mixin number.

This is also based on new cryptography (not tested for a long period of time). But if you want to risk using it that's up to you.

They also do not address the drawbacks of using a zerocoin system as described by Dr. Adam Back:

So this is a topic that's brought up a lot. Ring signatures actually relies on the assumption that most participants in the ring signature are not malicious adversaries. If you have enough adversarial power (for example, you account for 95% of the ring signature ), you can significantly reduce the effective randomness of the ring signature. Once you attack for long enough, there are heuristics you can use to assess which addresses are most likely associated with which other addresses. In a sense, any public blockchain can be thought of as a "financial social network". For prior cryptocurrencies, the public blockchain essentially forms an open graph for analysis, and there have been many studies that attack privacy of anonymous social networks / graphs ( here's an example to get the idea: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009 ... witterers/ ). These types of attacks happen because there can be hundreds of edges (e.g. transactions showing interaction) that end up linking to a vertex or group of vertices (e.g. Bitcoin Addresses ) through various heuristics. With Moneta, these attacks don't apply because the maximum possible link is one edge per node as long as you use Zerocoin proofs ( and this link only happens between the sender and receiver, who presumably know that they are sending money to each other ). So there is a significant jump between limited anonymity set of several hundred within ring protocol ( limited by size of block to several hundred transactions mixed ) versus virtually infinite anonymity set via an efficient accumulator, and also between possible analysis of hundreds of edges versus just a single edge in a graph.

The cryptography is actually quite well established, and is based on the Schnorr Protocol ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_of_ ... r_protocol ). As long as you know some basic cryptography, you can verify for yourself that it works. If you are referring to storage though, storage is a relatively cheap resource and also spend-proofs can easily be pruned off the blockchain.

As far as efficiency goes, compared to a normal Bitcoin proof it takes more space, but in usability terms it's actually barely noticeable. Transactions can be verified within 10 minutes, just as with Bitcoin. Also, the effective workaround for the RSA Accumulator trapdoor issue in the picture is that the RSA-2048 factoring challenge is used ( established in 1991 )

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:38 am

No offense, but how can you claim the first implementation of zerocoin without running a successful test network? These claims have been public for 9 months now and your testnet is still coming soon(tm).
We understand where you are coming from. We have already been running a private testnet for some time now. Just stay tuned as it's coming soon.

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:06 am

Is this you? Someone posted the links on bitcointalk. Looks like your picture is on those archived links:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141016190 ... te-me.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20141016203 ... ncore.html

Tim

Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:35 pm

So this is a topic that's brought up a lot. Ring signatures actually relies on the assumption that most participants in the ring signature are not malicious adversaries. If you have enough adversarial power (for example, you account for 95% of the ring signature ), you can significantly reduce the effective randomness of the ring signature. Once you attack for long enough, there are heuristics you can use to assess which addresses are most likely associated with which other addresses. In a sense, any public blockchain can be thought of as a "financial social network". For prior cryptocurrencies, the public blockchain essentially forms an open graph for analysis, and there have been many studies that attack privacy of anonymous social networks / graphs ( here's an example to get the idea: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009 ... witterers/ ). These types of attacks happen because there can be hundreds of edges (e.g. transactions showing interaction) that end up linking to a vertex or group of vertices (e.g. Bitcoin Addresses ) through various heuristics. With Moneta, these attacks don't apply because the maximum possible link is one edge per node as long as you use Zerocoin proofs ( and this link only happens between the sender and receiver, who presumably know that they are sending money to each other ). So there is a significant jump between limited anonymity set of several hundred within ring protocol ( limited by size of block to several hundred transactions mixed ) versus virtually infinite anonymity set via an efficient accumulator, and also between possible analysis of hundreds of edges versus just a single edge in a graph.

The cryptography is actually quite well established, and is based on the Schnorr Protocol ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_of_ ... r_protocol ). As long as you know some basic cryptography, you can verify for yourself that it works. If you are referring to storage though, storage is a relatively cheap resource and also spend-proofs can easily be pruned off the blockchain.

As far as efficiency goes, compared to a normal Bitcoin proof it takes more space, but in usability terms it's actually barely noticeable. Transactions can be verified within 10 minutes, just as with Bitcoin. Also, the effective workaround for the RSA Accumulator trapdoor issue in the picture is that the RSA-2048 factoring challenge is used ( established in 1991 )
Unless I'm mistaken, Ring signatures in cryptocurrencies like Monero and ShadowCash only have single participant (the sender). Are you confusing them with masternode coinjoin protocols?

jwinterm

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:33 pm

So, you apparently impersonate people and harass them by sending lewd emails on they're behalf (see web.archive.org links above), you launch closed-source, pre-mined coins that you abandon several weeks after they get on an exchange (Zerovert), and now you've apparently launched a for-profit venture based around the launch of this new/first(?) implementation of the Zerocoin protocol (http://moneta.cash/investors.html). You say yourself that the launch requires a measure of trust, "In the end of the day, nothing is actually completely trustless, but..."

I guess my question is, why should you or your company be trusted to launch this new protocol? Wouldn't the launch (which apparently requires trust in the person who launches it) require someone who is reputable, credible, and free from associations with criminal or scammy activity, which, no offense, you don't seem to be at this point?

Also, if I may suggest a slogan for your new coin/protocol/business venture: Moneta, your privacy is our business.

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:54 pm

So, you apparently impersonate people and harass them by sending lewd emails on they're behalf (see web.archive.org links above), you launch closed-source, pre-mined coins that you abandon several weeks after they get on an exchange (Zerovert), and now you've apparently launched a for-profit venture based around the launch of this new/first(?) implementation of the Zerocoin protocol (http://moneta.cash/investors.html). You say yourself that the launch requires a measure of trust, "In the end of the day, nothing is actually completely trustless, but..."

I guess my question is, why should you or your company be trusted to launch this new protocol? Wouldn't the launch (which apparently requires trust in the person who launches it) require someone who is reputable, credible, and free from associations with criminal or scammy activity, which, no offense, you don't seem to be at this point?

Also, if I may suggest a slogan for your new coin/protocol/business venture: Moneta, your privacy is our business.
Obviously not everything you reads on the internet is true, or the whole story. Anyone can write a blog post about anyone. I don't want to go into too many details, but you can see an article here about the author here and make your own judgements about his credibility ( apparently someone was about to sue the author of that blog ). http://chicagomaroon.com/2015/04/10/uch ... ompetitor/

I like the slogan, keep the suggestions coming =)

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:39 pm

I've made two posts above that you have not responded to...

Isn't this an ASK ME ANYTHING?

Then please address the posts if you are so willing to be a part of an AMA...

Or is this an AMABNCT = Ask me anything but not certain things?

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Are these the same guys as zerovert?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=846471.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=391031

Team

The Zerovert team is dedicated to offering you the new gold standard in cryptocurrency privacy.

The founding team includes:
Poramin, who was also the designer and lead developer of Vertcoin - one of the top 5 most valuable cryptocurrencies by market-cap this February.

Gary, who invented the world's first cryptographic protocol to conduct Bitcoin-denominated peer-to-peer atomic cross chain option contracts for alternative cryptocurrencies.

Yes, Zerovert was a more alpha testnet for Moneta

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Is this you? Someone posted the links on bitcointalk. Looks like your picture is on those archived links:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141016190 ... te-me.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20141016203 ... ncore.html
Yes, someone posted that blog post about me. Someone is accusing the author of that blog post of criminal activity, and is also considering suing the author of that blog post: http://chicagomaroon.com/2015/04/10/uch ... ompetitor/

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:38 pm

I've made two posts above that you have not responded to...

Isn't this an ASK ME ANYTHING?

Then please address the posts if you are so willing to be a part of an AMA...

Or is this an AMABNCT = Ask me anything but not certain things?
Those 2 questions were answered, I'm happy to answer any other questions you have

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Based upon how zerovert went, it looks like simply a pump and dump. It did not appear to be an "alpha" launch. Nor did any of the original posts indicate that.

QUESTION: Why should people trust that this "version" of your zerocoin implementation is not the same thing wrapped up in a slightly different package given your involvement in zerovert which was abandoned after being launched?

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:42 pm

Last edited by smoothie on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:46 pm

^ I'm not sure what you are referring to, as I answered the question that you asked. As I said, I'm here to answer any questions, the purpose of an AMA

moneta
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:57 pm

^^In regards to your other question, my co-founder (Poramin) and I had to make a tough decision on this. Any coin can be called a "pump and dump", but the fact is if you look at Zerovert's blockchain, we never sold any of our holdings of Zerovert at all. Zerovert was a simple experiment, and it started a long time before we considered pursuing a Bitcoin project in a serious manner. When we decided we would pursue a serious project to implement protocol-level changes to the bitcoin protocol, we realized we had to shut our Zerovert experiment down. As far as trusting the zerocoin implementation, when we open up the testnet, anyone including yourself can verify the code and cryptography behind the zerocoin protocol. That's the beauty of cryptocurrency projects.

Also, my co-founder Poramin has led a successful project with Vertcoin, which became the world's 4th most valuable cryptocurrency by market cap in February 2013

smoothie
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:09 am

^ I'm not sure what you are referring to, as I answered the question that you asked. As I said, I'm here to answer any questions, the purpose of an AMA
Last edited by smoothie on Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

moneta
AMA
AMA

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 am

I would suggest rereading my reply to find the answer to your question

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”