Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

I'm Yuzo Kano, CEO of bitFlyer, AMA!

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:02 am

Hello everyone!

I'm Yuzo Kano, the CEO and founder of bitFlyer, a Bitcoin company based in Tokyo, Japan. I worked at Goldman Sachs for 10 years as an Equities Derivatives and Convertible Bonds trader. In 2010, I learned about Bitcoin, and in January of 2014 I founded bitFlyer hoping to provide liquidity to the Bitcoin market in Japan.

This startup began in a bakery, where our CTO and Co-Founder, Takafumi Komiyama, and I would spend all day coding. Since then, bitFlyer has grown to become one of Japan's biggest exchanges, also providing services such as Bitcoin retail, person-to-person payments, and Bitcoin-based crowdfunding. We also have a unique block explorer called chainFlyer.

I am also the chief of JADA (Japan Authority of Digital Assets), a self-regulatory authority which aims to open up dialog with governmental offices, research Bitcoin business, hold Bitcoin-related events, and help to build AML and security guidelines for this rapidly growing industry.

Since we're in Japan, I'd like to apologize in advance for replying to questions at strange hours!

Looking forward to talking with you all.

Yuzo

magma
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Magmaqvxx7LpUTYGWw8RNPEJXBQ6iSLVX

Re: I'm Yuzo Kano, CEO of bitFlyer, AMA!

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:05 am

Thanks Kano-san for doing this AMA.

Do you work like a typical Japanese company or is it more relaxed? What do you think of the typical way many Japanese companies work, with long work hours until the last train?
Magma Hindenburg - Bitcoin wallet developer

southtopia
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 16ZkWQN6m543zfq8UoRHFXoFipTD3a7d3N

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:21 am

hi Kano-san, thanks for joining in.

About bitcoin in Japan...

in the past couple of years most major Asian financial centers have hosted a 2+ day bitcoin conference (HK, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, and Seoul next month) but there has been no big event like those in Tokyo so far.

Would a large bitcoin gathering in Japan help to get attention for the local industry? Or do you think it's not necessary?

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks Kano-san for doing this AMA.

Do you work like a typical Japanese company or is it more relaxed? What do you think of the typical way many Japanese companies work, with long work hours until the last train?
Thanks for your question.

I work 16 hours a day without weekend, which is a little relaxed compared to investment banks ;) Some of us work more, and some work less.
I think the Japanese working style is very inefficient in most cases... People should not work until the last train. The exception might be start ups.

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:48 am

in the past couple of years most major Asian financial centers have hosted a 2+ day bitcoin conference (HK, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, and Seoul next month) but there has been no big event like those in Tokyo so far.

Would a large bitcoin gathering in Japan help to get attention for the local industry? Or do you think it's not necessary?
Yes, it certainly would help to bring attention to the Bitcoin industry and we would be very happy to help an event like that!

So far some event brokers have held a few bitcoin conferences in Tokyo, but they were commercially challenging, especially with the negative image of bitcoin thanks to the Mt Gox incident.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:54 am

Hi Yuzo,

Thanks for participating in this AMA, and for making the cutest block explorer in the world: ChainFlyer (Everyone should take a look!)

1. What part of the Bitcoin ecosystem do you expect to grow the fastest in Japan?
2. What part do you expect to grow the slowest?
3. Does BitFlyer plan to focus on individual users, or business customers?
4. What cool things should we expect from bitFlyer in 2016?

https://twitter.com/rogerkver/status/663974614373044224
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

LISAM
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:07 am

Which digital currency (litecoin,dogecoin, peercoin etc) do you think will be the biggest competitor to bitcoin in 5 years

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 am

Hi Roger, thanks for everything and your twitter link!

1. What part of the Bitcoin ecosystem do you expect to grow the fastest in Japan?
Speculation, and point exchange. Japan is one of the most advanced countries in term of existing virtual currency and "points/pre-paid payment methods," which are frequently used here (for example, SUICA which is used here for transit, vending machines, convenience store payment, etc).

We have been working to penetrate these use-cases so that users can exchange points with Bitcoin.
2. What part do you expect to grow the slowest?
The slowest will probably be money transfer with Bitcoin. Like the US, a money transmitter license is required by FSA to operate money transfers, no matter what the background system is. Bitcoin is no exception.
3. Does BitFlyer plan to focus on individual users, or business customers?
We are focused mainly on individual users.
4. What cool things should we expect from bitFlyer in 2016?
In 2016, expect to see bitFlyer working on Blockchain as a Service (BaaS).

romjpn1

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:10 am

Will you provide services for users willing to invest with their bitcoins ? I'm thinking about what Magnr is doing, or providing leverage liquidity like on Bitfinex.
Also 16 hours/day, that's quite a lot !
http://www.InvestBitcoinGuide.com grow your bitcoins !
No Ponzi, no scam.

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:14 am

Which digital currency (litecoin,dogecoin, peercoin etc) do you think will be the biggest competitor to bitcoin in 5 years

Hi LISAM, thanks for your question.
Honestly, I don't think there will be any altcoin close to Bitcoin within the next few years.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:33 am

Japan is one of the most advanced countries in term of existing virtual currency and "points/pre-paid payment methods," which are frequently used here (for example, SUICA which is used here for transit, vending machines, convenience store payment, etc).

We have been working to penetrate these use-cases so that users can exchange points with Bitcoin.
Does that mean you are working on a way for users to charge their SUICA cards with Bitcoin?
If so, that would be about the most convenient thing I can imagine for Bitcoin in Japan!
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

magma
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Magmaqvxx7LpUTYGWw8RNPEJXBQ6iSLVX

Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 am

Is Bitflyer planning on releasing a service for paying bills/furikomi using Bitcoin? It would be useful for expats in Japan without a bank account.
Magma Hindenburg - Bitcoin wallet developer

nyeko_12
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DBAq46iSNLTsq33dySBpYpaFqH3pTi9sk

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:01 pm

what is your opinion regarding the blocksize issue(BIP101)? Also are you planning to release a kind of bitcoin debit card (bitcoin to YEN) in the future?

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Will you provide services for users willing to invest with their bitcoins ? I'm thinking about what Magnr is doing, or providing leverage liquidity like on Bitfinex.
Also 16 hours/day, that's quite a lot !
Romjpn1:
Not for now because a certain license is required in Japan to create investments, even those for Bitcoin!
However, we will provide a leverage system soon on our exchange..

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Does that mean you are working on a way for users to charge their SUICA cards with Bitcoin?
If so, that would be about the most convenient thing I can imagine for Bitcoin in Japan!

I can't specify for what exactly, but NFC is one of the things we are working on.

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 pm

Is Bitflyer planning on releasing a service for paying bills/furikomi using Bitcoin? It would be useful for expats in Japan without a bank account.
We will definitely think about it. Yes, I can see that it would be useful. It may be easy to implement for bills with a Pay-easy number.

waterfowl

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:40 pm

From Medialab101 in Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... st/cwv4ij5

How much attention is the Japanese government currently giving to Bitcoin and what is the regulatory environment? Long-term do they view it favorably?

MandelDuck

Donate BTC of your choice to 1B2pmEhgLehSbf5kPUnqCVhzjPJFqLnnfY

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:58 pm

I may be wrong but Japan seems to be a cash based society, with most people not really interested in digital payments
Furthermore politically I never saw Japan having a strong libertarian anarchist movement
Do you think Japanese people will be interested in Bitcoin at all?

TeslaGen3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Yuzo -

Thanks for taking our question and all that you do for the Bitcoin.

Q1. You mention the Person - to - Person exchange service, do you see this growing and would you even imagine a world where there were no banks involved (ie for the unbanked) because there were so many reputable person to person providers? Like Abra.

Q2. What is your take on scammers within the bitcoin community? Do you think there is a way to effectively handle them or should it be every man for himself?

Q3. Barry Silbert indicated that there are 5 phases and it appears he is dead on accurate; why do you think this is and do you believe we are about to start the mass adoption phase? What type of app do you think will make ordinary people love bitcoin?

Thanks again and I hope you have a great day!

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:26 pm

what is your opinion regarding the blocksize issue(BIP101)? Also are you planning to release a kind of bitcoin debit card (bitcoin to YEN) in the future?
I basically support larger block sizes.
Bigger block sizes definitely are in favour for users in terms of transaction speed and commission. On the other hand, the monopoly of mining pools due to larger hardware requirements or security investments against a big block attack may accelerate a less diversified agreement process for further BIPs related to the block size issue.

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:30 pm

From Medialab101 in Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... st/cwv4ij5

How much attention is the Japanese government currently giving to Bitcoin and what is the regulatory environment? Long-term do they view it favorably?
Hi waterfowl,

The government is giving it a lot of attention. It's mostly favorable, but they also have concerns about customer protection due to the Mt.Gox incident, money transmission, and the legality of IOU type systems (Ripple, etc).
Last edited by YuzoKano on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:31 pm

I may be wrong but Japan seems to be a cash based society, with most people not really interested in digital payments
Furthermore politically I never saw Japan having a strong libertarian anarchist movement
Do you think Japanese people will be interested in Bitcoin at all?
That is right. Japan is cash-based society and loves saving cash ;)
Most Japanese know Bitcoin thanks to Mt.Gox and I think about 90% people in Japan have a negative view of Bitcoin at this moment.
People here are also adverse to other kinds of investments in general, so this is not so surprising, and is a major obstacle for Bitcoin to gain traction.

kinoshita

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi Yuzo -

Thanks for doing an AMA.

Q1. What was your first "aha!" moment with Bitcoin? Please tell your story of how you got into it.

Q2. What are your thoughts on machine to machine payments? Do you think humans should have a kill switch / there should always be a human responsible for each machine? (ie. a future with no true AI) Or do you think that machines should be allowed unregulated access to finances via Bitcoin (or something like it)?

Q3. What do you think is the best way to get Japanese developers interested in developing Bitcoin software?

Q4. 7jDFoiJzTh6dRRxiqXgZ8kYK4eWUpD5Uoi4Skw88qz7zAdeeZwwNn4XJdRk1X58EcACtkUMGSZbsVvQ3aonxUqnsu1ERHpzTyBxqZecXG8dj6KG58T6AV7H41PiwJfexckHyZquhSZwYWtyyTWcCiK7CkpBER523hhsCrwT215tP2ivPLPMDK4znQ5LM2V2GEsJPpRCmi26vXL15AGbaQmG7QWMtXoRaStok5apBnD5WFwbm2hq7zZhgDuDxMkC88Ax41UGUkc9b9etQEsmRU5hA4uyoqWv1zvpFBLTim4e8evWfW4KbDF7hnGY5ULKBAddpD2SJDZFukNAQnAfEfJkguTVCc73WQVVpBcgoZzYKWs1NRgDvMRfh4RVvZRK7VJVhn4U653PVETtxswuXm71Lvn

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:02 pm

Yuzo -

Thanks for taking our question and all that you do for the Bitcoin.
My pleasure.
Q1. You mention the Person - to - Person exchange service, do you see this growing and would you even imagine a world where there were no banks involved (ie for the unbanked) because there were so many reputable person to person providers? Like Abra.
Do I imagine a world where there are no banks involved? I don't think so, no. I think a pseudo-banking system among only untrusted parties might fail when a systematic counter-party risk shows up.
Q2. What is your take on scammers within the bitcoin community? Do you think there is a way to effectively handle them or should it be every man for himself?
The best way to prevent scammers is to make their risk/reward less attractive. Since they aim to earn a return by taking on a legal risk, the reward becomes less attractive when there is a system of certain penalties in place.
Q3. Barry Silbert indicated that there are 5 phases and it appears he is dead on accurate; why do you think this is and do you believe we are about to start the mass adoption phase? What type of app do you think will make ordinary people love bitcoin?

Thanks again and I hope you have a great day!
I basically agree with Barry because most of web services have a first inflection point after 10mil users growth, but I think he is little too optimistic.
We still explain what Bitcoin is to users, which is not ideal. Comparing with other internet service growth history, requiring an explanation is too early for mass adoption.

I think a decentralized prediction market could be a kicker even this is very controversial here. Countries in Africa without adequate banking systems may just love wallets and leap frog may happen. On the other hand, there is almost no reason for Japanese to use Bitcoin as a settlement currency because Japanese yen is relatively stable and non-p2p virtual currencies are already everywhere.

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi Yuzo -

Thanks for doing an AMA.

Q1. What was your first "aha!" moment with Bitcoin? Please tell your story of how you got into it.
It was when I was told about bitcoin / the blockchain in 2010. I got into it because of purely technical reasons. Then, as a currency, Bitcoin looked a toy currency. But later, as governments began to support it some time around 2013... that made it real currency to me. Bitcoin changes the world capital flow. With the sole yield curve, bitcoin may encourage the shrinking of the difference between yields of each currencies, and helps everyone to avoid paying several layers of fees from brokerages and reduces systemic risk and capital costs.
Q2. What are your thoughts on machine to machine payments? Do you think humans should have a kill switch / there should always be a human responsible for each machine? (ie. a future with no true AI) Or do you think that machines should be allowed unregulated access to finances via Bitcoin (or something like it)?
Sorry, honestly I don't have deep thoughts about these questions yet. I'll maybe come back to this at another time.
Q3. What do you think is the best way to get Japanese developers interested in developing Bitcoin software?
Translation. Most materials are in English. There really needs to be more translation of content, documentation, etc into Japanese.
Q4. 7jDFoiJzTh6dRRxiqXgZ8kYK4eWUpD5Uoi4Skw88qz7zAdeeZwwNn4XJdRk1X58EcACtkUMGSZbsVvQ3aonxUqnsu1ERHpzTyBxqZecXG8dj6KG58T6AV7H41PiwJfexckHyZquhSZwYWtyyTWcCiK7CkpBER523hhsCrwT215tP2ivPLPMDK4znQ5LM2V2GEsJPpRCmi26vXL15AGbaQmG7QWMtXoRaStok5apBnD5WFwbm2hq7zZhgDuDxMkC88Ax41UGUkc9b9etQEsmRU5hA4uyoqWv1zvpFBLTim4e8evWfW4KbDF7hnGY5ULKBAddpD2SJDZFukNAQnAfEfJkguTVCc73WQVVpBcgoZzYKWs1NRgDvMRfh4RVvZRK7VJVhn4U653PVETtxswuXm71Lvn
Haha

2UaVBq8rWpz7n9Gcx8WzXEzfVGiVuzejvkNWsdvNNr2H12NZxyDdLiNoqupCpc4RXbX3kBwzQBigbiS6jztwSRHaPQ2VBCh7E19Uk5THLZDfb8mPJ7RTFnGf5o1CnNcdp4UtVZuiKwsMX473431DKfLx8xhS8So9U1ucXT5ZsBYqFjb6yPfdTppR4Wx2xo9JzXLQQz3HPLpMHoL8SMLSt5PmHEZDSrBcd5P6fq3ieS3MRviLhi5qC1GE1axi9h3xFfJY8YXNf4wVPMdSNPqzWcanTfrLsKCS7qPMxZjTFoYJcwkACXdEntjC4DNeZV1NyoWBjpfmkvvh4SkoYZmDz6HKn2na49jA4NixQfxSddSZYSiFwm7K3NWXqcxyTsVHPBSo9Dg1brLyM16hRcXEdg8ijhf5ZjndvFeZ6uSeKnV1L4Aa2DhZFcoKAoProSubT2jQd5HwjA2nPkMLe

(For anyone who's curious about these messages, you can do something like this to read them https://gist.github.com/anonymous/4ce25876e51fae678cc3)

biscuit

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:26 am

Dear Kano-san,
Thank you for giving us the opportunities to ask you questions here.
If my question is off the point, please just disregard this.
Please let us know if you see any potentials that Bitcoin could contribute to address global issues such as climate change, widening inequality, and unsustainable consumption and production etc through this emerging market?

Thank you for your attention and for your time.

kinoshita

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:25 pm

2UaVBq8rWpz7n9Gcx8WzXEzfVGiVuzejvkNWsdvNNr2H12NZxyDdLiNoqupCpc4RXbX3kBwzQBigbiS6jztwSRHaPQ2VBCh7E19Uk5THLZDfb8mPJ7RTFnGf5o1CnNcdp4UtVZuiKwsMX473431DKfLx8xhS8So9U1ucXT5ZsBYqFjb6yPfdTppR4Wx2xo9JzXLQQz3HPLpMHoL8SMLSt5PmHEZDSrBcd5P6fq3ieS3MRviLhi5qC1GE1axi9h3xFfJY8YXNf4wVPMdSNPqzWcanTfrLsKCS7qPMxZjTFoYJcwkACXdEntjC4DNeZV1NyoWBjpfmkvvh4SkoYZmDz6HKn2na49jA4NixQfxSddSZYSiFwm7K3NWXqcxyTsVHPBSo9Dg1brLyM16hRcXEdg8ijhf5ZjndvFeZ6uSeKnV1L4Aa2DhZFcoKAoProSubT2jQd5HwjA2nPkMLe

(For anyone who's curious about these messages, you can do something like this to read them https://gist.github.com/anonymous/4ce25876e51fae678cc3)
QzhAvPB92ektauRkf6Go6MPZfCxYGvw29YGU4iPY1Sz2hjVHhmtrwFVZoS9dtW1ycnjy3uWKLCdLzTRgPQnrJry68Yowz3QULo6saovFef16CUzBDbngyCACAAJTuScn7r69pXYzitv4JJzRTb2LU1JA6MUG7a2wLzDaFMiP9vkVhortzb7ab57EwZxFxQow7P1fFsUesMqvRw32XuvQsyQ6rYoYaNpWBm2a25boeqHbUJPiDbLyS8SNGaoLXriUCKtHnqb5CNMpxprv8U1B6wKeZj5DwqNeHxf8YoEQeFMQYEGVe7oYLF5g2CMUdszxVMnqQgpqUCQQyLgpW5V1dg8BMJogtemMsFKBj5br6QXzpHku7sNPv8fMZ8Xw5ZmpYY7AabByofnWfqHpDChaNduebryogDsh3pTyDPrnbTqMSLSP7xbqU

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:50 am

Dear Kano-san,
Thank you for giving us the opportunities to ask you questions here.
If my question is off the point, please just disregard this.
Please let us know if you see any potentials that Bitcoin could contribute to address global issues such as climate change, widening inequality, and unsustainable consumption and production etc through this emerging market?

Thank you for your attention and for your time.
My pleasure.

I think the impact to climate change and unsustainable consumption and production by Bitcoin is minimal.

Bitcoin may shrink inequality however. More people will have opportunities for fair trade and fair capital access because Bitcoin reduces the number of brokers in between.

YuzoKano
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:50 am

QzhAvPB92ektauRkf6Go6MPZfCxYGvw29YGU4iPY1Sz2hjVHhmtrwFVZoS9dtW1ycnjy3uWKLCdLzTRgPQnrJry68Yowz3QULo6saovFef16CUzBDbngyCACAAJTuScn7r69pXYzitv4JJzRTb2LU1JA6MUG7a2wLzDaFMiP9vkVhortzb7ab57EwZxFxQow7P1fFsUesMqvRw32XuvQsyQ6rYoYaNpWBm2a25boeqHbUJPiDbLyS8SNGaoLXriUCKtHnqb5CNMpxprv8U1B6wKeZj5DwqNeHxf8YoEQeFMQYEGVe7oYLF5g2CMUdszxVMnqQgpqUCQQyLgpW5V1dg8BMJogtemMsFKBj5br6QXzpHku7sNPv8fMZ8Xw5ZmpYY7AabByofnWfqHpDChaNduebryogDsh3pTyDPrnbTqMSLSP7xbqU
(kinoshita wrote: That's great! By the way, do you make the puzzles on your hiring site?)

It was made by our employees.

nyeko_12
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DBAq46iSNLTsq33dySBpYpaFqH3pTi9sk

Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:58 pm

I basically support larger block sizes.
Bigger block sizes definitely are in favour for users in terms of transaction speed and commission. On the other hand, the monopoly of mining pools due to larger hardware requirements or security investments against a big block attack may accelerate a less diversified agreement process for further BIPs related to the block size issue.
are you planning to release a kind of bitcoin debit card (bitcoin to YEN) in the future?And is it any possibility that you will create a app for google play/apple app store?

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”