Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
asher
AMA
AMA

I'm Asher Tan, co-founder & CEO of CoinJar. Ask me anything.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:15 am

Hi all.

I'm Asher, CEO of CoinJar - https://www.coinjar.com.

We're one of Australia's longest running exchange services, operating since mid-2013. Since then we have been focussing on our CoinJar Swipe debit card which works on the Australian EFTPOS payment network.

If you live in Australia and are into Bitcoin, I am keen to answer questions especially from people who have used our service before or have regional questions (CoinJar also operates in the UK accepting credit card deposits).

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: I'm Asher Tan, co-founder & CEO of CoinJar. Ask me anything.

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:49 am

Hi Asher, thanks for doing this AMA!

I'd really like to get your opinion on the recent events in Australia where banks have suddenly shut down accounts with bitcoin companies.

Reference: http://bitcoinx.io/news/articles/the-bi ... australia/

How did this impact your business then, and is it impacting it currently? Where do you see bitcoin exchange services in Australia in the near future? It appears the climate is extremely challenging and hard for any bitcoin businesses and startups to grow there.

Thanks!

LISAM
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:24 am

Which digital currency (litecoin,dogecoin, peercoin etc) do you think will be the biggest competitor to bitcoin in 5 years

djbooth007

Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 am

Hi Asher,
How does the entrepreneurial atmosphere compare between UK and Australia, especially in the Bitcoin space?

Is your EFT swipe card a success in Australia?

Cheers

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:28 am

Hi Asher,

Thanks for agreeing to do the AMA even when you knew there would be some very difficult questions.

What are your thoughts on what appears to be very damning evidence linking your co-founder, Zhou Tong, to the Bitcoinica hack in the video below?

If CoinJar were to become very successful, does Zhou Tong have any plans to try to make the victims of his last company whole?

Do you have any other thoughts to share regarding the Bitcoinica mess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AypRF9q0llU
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

Edward
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:29 am

Just here to say great job with your service. Used it for a long time. Quick & easy and the customer service & user experience was perfect. Recommend to all Ausralians who are looking to quickly switch fiat to Bitcoin or vice versa.
Primedice Head of Operations & Co Founder

Email: Edward@Primedice.com
Telegram: @EdwardMiroslav

asher
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:30 am

Hi Asher, thanks for doing this AMA!

I'd really like to get your opinion on the recent events in Australia where banks have suddenly shut down accounts with bitcoin companies.

Reference: http://bitcoinx.io/news/articles/the-bi ... australia/

How did this impact your business then, and is it impacting it currently? Where do you see bitcoin exchange services in Australia in the near future? It appears the climate is extremely challenging and hard for any bitcoin businesses and startups to grow there.

Thanks!
Hi BitcoinXio,

1. I don't think Australia has been less or more permissive with banking than other countries -- I think if anything it is slightly better than average. If you look at the banking situation globally, I think it is the norm for accounts to be shut if they suspect you are operating certain types of business.

In Australia even successful ASX-listed companies, such as OzForex, have had their accounts shut as the banks have closed their doors to remittance businesses (http://www.smh.com.au/business/banking- ... 2t3v9.html). I believe there are ongoing Senate Inquiries about both remittance and digital currency sectors in relation to banking.

2. It was a painful learning experience as we have had some publicised bank transitions. You are correct that it is highly challenging, and unfortunately I do not see that changing in the near future.

asher
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:33 am

Which digital currency (litecoin,dogecoin, peercoin etc) do you think will be the biggest competitor to bitcoin in 5 years
I think for existing alt-coins, none really hold a candle to bitcoin (even in 5 years). I do believe there will be competing digital currencies -- some of the popular ones will likely be permissioned systems (centralised) -- even though they run on similar blockchain tech.

asher
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:43 am

Hi Asher,
How does the entrepreneurial atmosphere compare between UK and Australia, especially in the Bitcoin space?

Is your EFT swipe card a success in Australia?

Cheers
1. There have been quite a few bitcoin startups here in Australia (especially compared on a per capita basis). But the market is small, and there is not a lot of startup ecosystem to help propel winners forward (however this is changing). Australia is still a good place to start off, but not great for huge opportunity.

The UK entrepreneurial atmosphere (particularly in London) is a lot more polished with more academics, professionals and thought-leaders interacting with institutional players. The government has made fintech high on its list of priorities and that filters through to their ecosystem. They are a lot clearer in terms of regulation, which makes understanding their stance easier. TL;DR Startups are hard everywhere.

2. Swipe is our strongest product of late. We are processing upwards of 6-figures a month of spending on our cards. Unless I see other data from providers, I believe we have one of the most active debit card programs in the world.

asher
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:16 am

Hi Asher,

Thanks for agreeing to do the AMA even when you knew there would be some very difficult questions.

What are your thoughts on what appears to be very damning evidence linking your co-founder, Zhou Tong, to the Bitcoinica hack in the video below?

If CoinJar were to become very successful, does Zhou Tong have any plans to try to make the victims of his last company whole?

Hi Roger,

1. The video above has attracted some questions, even by our investors. I have done my best to reach out to parties who have a strong opinion on the video (including yourself) to dissect and understand what is being shown. The overriding response is it is not conclusive proof of wrongdoing. It however does emphasise the large amount of the bitcoin economy that flowed through Mt Gox and Bitcoinica at that time (more than half) -- to the extent that it was possible to find 'tainted' coins being used in each platform.

2. Bitcoinica LP existed in the real world, with real people behind it who were responsible for the path of the company. ZhouTong, although the originator of the platform, was not one of those people and has never been named in any legal documents as being responsible for the company. It would make little sense for him to 'make victims of his last company whole'.

There are plenty of other identities that are in the Bitcoinica saga who DO have clear responsibilities from being associated with Bitcoinica LP: Patrick, Donald, Amir, Tihan, PKF Corporate Recovery etc. If evidence is 'damning' I suggest you follow up with real world authorities and these individuals. Internet sleuthing only gets you so far when you want answers.

3. The court of public opinion can be brutally wrong. Roger, I am reminded of your initial Mt Gox video where you endorsed them for solvency. While your facts may have been accurate -- the representation missed its mark (bonus points for manning up and admitting this in your follow-up video). For would-be internet trolls and sleuths, I reiterate to take your findings to legal authorities if you feel strongly about evidence you encounter -- Reddit or any internet forum will not provide closure for your circumstance.

asher
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:20 am

Just here to say great job with your service. Used it for a long time. Quick & easy and the customer service & user experience was perfect. Recommend to all Ausralians who are looking to quickly switch fiat to Bitcoin or vice versa.
Thanks, Edward. I hope we can continue our track record of being a good and trustworthy service.

jan.beeck

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:36 am

Hi there!

Do you see Bitcoin as a tool to help poor people? I mean do you see BTC as way to help those 2 billions of adults that are unbanked right now?

Thanks.
www.crowbe.com

asher
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:50 am

Hi there!

Do you see Bitcoin as a tool to help poor people? I mean do you see BTC as way to help those 2 billions of adults that are unbanked right now?

Thanks.
http://www.crowbe.com
Hi Jan,

I do very much believe technology can be an enabler for the under banked. One of our staff has written an excellent article on this: How digital money will include the unbanked - https://medium.com/@CoinJar/how-digital ... 98fda1cfc7

patrick.strateman

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Asher,

Hi Roger,

1. The video above has attracted some questions, even by our investors. I have done my best to reach out to parties who have a strong opinion on the video (including yourself) to dissect and understand what is being shown. The overriding response is it is not conclusive proof of wrongdoing. It however does emphasise the large amount of the bitcoin economy that flowed through Mt Gox and Bitcoinica at that time (more than half) -- to the extent that it was possible to find 'tainted' coins being used in each platform.

2. Bitcoinica LP existed in the real world, with real people behind it who were responsible for the path of the company. ZhouTong, although the originator of the platform, was not one of those people and has never been named in any legal documents as being responsible for the company. It would make little sense for him to 'make victims of his last company whole'.

There are plenty of other identities that are in the Bitcoinica saga who DO have clear responsibilities from being associated with Bitcoinica LP: Patrick, Donald, Amir, Tihan, PKF Corporate Recovery etc. If evidence is 'damning' I suggest you follow up with real world authorities and these individuals. Internet sleuthing only gets you so far when you want answers.

3. The court of public opinion can be brutally wrong. Roger, I am reminded of your initial Mt Gox video where you endorsed them for solvency. While your facts may have been accurate -- the representation missed its mark (bonus points for manning up and admitting this in your follow-up video). For would-be internet trolls and sleuths, I reiterate to take your findings to legal authorities if you feel strongly about evidence you encounter -- Reddit or any internet forum will not provide closure for your circumstance.
Zhou Tong is guilty.

You insult yourself and your family to say otherwise.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95795.0

LeeWallis

Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:38 am

Hey Asher

I live in Brisbane so I use CoinJar for all my Bitcoin purchases. It's a great system so thanks for your hard work.

In yet to find an Australian Bitcoin exchange which is reliable, trustworthy and secure. Does CoinJar have any plans to expand into operating a full exchange like Gemini/Coinbase?

Thanks!

Lee

OutCast3k

Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Roger,

Zhou Tong is guilty.

You insult yourself and your family to say otherwise.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95795.0
+1

I hope people boycott anything Zhou Tong has anything to do with.

TeslaGen3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Asher -

Thanks for taking time to interact with us this way.

Q1. With the recent ruling on EMV chip cards, Merchants are now liable, do you believe this will encourage some merchants to adopt bitcoin?

Q2. In the US there are so many ways to pay for things, do you think companies like Coinjar can edge it's way in among the Venmo, Paypal, Dwolla, SquareCash, type apps?

Q3. Do you or would you own a Tesla? As you might notice by my name I am a huge fan of them :)

Thanks again!

AlexTee
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EWQKeX3pKPs2o9LY39W57T93zb8sUxBHE

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:19 am

I'm sorry, Asher, but you are doing yourself and your company an absolute disservice by the way you are dealing with the questions regarding Zhou Tong. I only have a very superficial knowledge of the issue as a whole, so I have no feelings as to his apparent guilt or innocence. But your responses to the questions Roger asked are piss-weak and totally non-committal. As such it will make you seem non-fussed to have a criminal as a business partner to those people who have already judged him guilty in the court of "public opinion" and to someone like me, who has no feelings either way, they seem like very strange responses.

I would imagine if your business partner is innocent (or you think he is) you would come out defending him. Or if you thought he was guilty you would distance yourself from him. You have done neither in your answers.

In response to the first question - What do you think of the damning evidence in the video? Your response is essentially well its not really that damning and if it was people would go to the police. In response to the question will he make the victims of Bitcoinica whole? This is a yes or no question. You should answer it "no" if you know he will not do this (or if you think he is innocent) instead of recommending others who might be better to go after.

As an Australian it would be great to have trustworthy companies in the Bitcoin space - which coinjar seemed to be (to me) until you did this AMA and I found out about Zhou Tong.

Do you think he stole anything from anyone?

asher
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:35 am

I'm sorry, Asher, but you are doing yourself and your company an absolute disservice by the way you are dealing with the questions regarding Zhou Tong. I only have a very superficial knowledge of the issue as a whole, so I have no feelings as to his apparent guilt or innocence. But your responses to the questions Roger asked are piss-weak and totally non-committal. As such it will make you seem non-fussed to have a criminal as a business partner to those people who have already judged him guilty in the court of "public opinion" and to someone like me, who has no feelings either way, they seem like very strange responses.

I would imagine if your business partner is innocent (or you think he is) you would come out defending him. Or if you thought he was guilty you would distance yourself from him. You have done neither in your answers.

In response to the first question - What do you think of the damning evidence in the video? Your response is essentially well its not really that damning and if it was people would go to the police. In response to the question will he make the victims of Bitcoinica whole? This is a yes or no question. You should answer it "no" if you know he will not do this (or if you think he is innocent) instead of recommending others who might be better to go after.

As an Australian it would be great to have trustworthy companies in the Bitcoin space - which coinjar seemed to be (to me) until you did this AMA and I found out about Zhou Tong.

Do you think he stole anything from anyone?
I do not believe he committed any wrongdoing. I do not believe he was involved in instigating any security breaches at Bitcoinica. I think that's a pretty definitive answer from me.

AlexTee
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EWQKeX3pKPs2o9LY39W57T93zb8sUxBHE

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:40 am

Thanks

asher
AMA
AMA

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:48 am

Asher -

Thanks for taking time to interact with us this way.

Q1. With the recent ruling on EMV chip cards, Merchants are now liable, do you believe this will encourage some merchants to adopt bitcoin?

Q2. In the US there are so many ways to pay for things, do you think companies like Coinjar can edge it's way in among the Venmo, Paypal, Dwolla, SquareCash, type apps?

Q3. Do you or would you own a Tesla? As you might notice by my name I am a huge fan of them :)

Thanks again!
1. Not particularly. EMV chip cards are predominant in quite a few countries already and it doesn't look to have spurred adoption of bitcoin. High-risk merchants (online) usually have a fat profit margin that they can work out with their payment processor a buffer for chargebacks.

2. It's incredibly hard to attain network effects when it comes to ubiquitous payment systems. I think the interoperability between existing cards, bitcoin, and other payment services is the key to get adoption increased at a faster rate.

3. At the moment I don't even own a car. That being said, I've had a test drive of the Tesla and think the world of it!

OutCast3k

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:00 pm

Exactly this! Thanks for doing an AMA and raising awareness that Zhou Tong is involved with coinjar! Hopefully the more people aware will mean less people will use your services.

thomsopw

Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:28 pm

Hey Asher thanks for doing the AMA, it was an interesting read.I'm an entrepreneur in the bitcoin space in Australia, so I was hoping you might have more information about which way the government was leaning with their plans for taxation and treatment of crypto-currencies within Australia? I read the Coinjar submission to the senate and I'd like to thank you guys for taking the time to put together such a succinct but comprehensive document for the economics committee. I hope it was well received.
Also quickly i'd like to thank you for your work with coinjar, I've been following the company for a few years now and been using my swipe card for a year or so, the whole system is frictionless. So thankyou from the users.

cryptonext

Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:08 pm

EFTPOS is good but will there be a new Coinjar Debit card with VISA functionality too?

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi Asher thanks for doing this AMA.
I have used Coinjar here in Australia for what seems like a long time and find this a great company. I have a Coinjar swipe card and often transfer coins to that for everyday use, will there be any option in the future to transfer coins back from the card to my Coinjar account?

Could you please add the Coinjar buy/sell price to the app, it's on the main site but i never see this on the mobile app.

I must also use this post to congratulate you on your customer service team, they are fantastic - say hi to Adrian if your in the same office as he always helps me.
Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

worried123

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Hey Asher. I am having difficulties with Coinjar and their support. Really gettting worried here, since I am not able to use my funds anymore. First I had trouble withdrawing 0.8 btc

Few days after that I got a letter that my account will be shut down, and that I should withdraw all crypto and fiat. Although I am not able to do that cause i get some errror about limits. So on Tuesday I told support that i am not able to withdraw, and I am still waiting for them to reply. after 4 days. They usually replied after 24 hrs, so after 2 days I got worried and I opened a new suppport ticket, that was soon marked as solved but I did not receive any answer from support. So I have been in a total blackout for 4 days, and I have pretty much all the money in Coinjar, that I made in Australia during my 2 year Working Holiday. So where can i find help, will I get my money back?

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:04 am

We would also like to see BCH support added to CoinJar ASAP.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

jeroo85

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 am

Hey Asher

I live in Brisbane so I use CoinJar for all my Bitcoin purchases. It's a great system so thanks for your hard work.

In yet to find an Australian Bitcoin exchange which is reliable, trustworthy and secure. Does CoinJar have any plans to expand into operating a full exchange like Gemini/Coinbase?
I think it would even more stable with years being pass.

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 pm

Where do you think Bitcoin is headed in 2020?
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

graga
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:24 pm

Do you think btc will explode again like reaching to $20k?

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”