Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
juju
AMA
AMA

Im Juan Garavaglia, Rootstock.io Ask Me Anything!

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:17 am

I am a Bitcoin entrepreneur. Actively involved in Bitcoin ecosystem since 2013, since then focused in Bitcoin Mining, now working in the Rootstock.io project to help Bitcoin Blockchain to become more usable as a Smart Contract platform fully integrated with the main Bitcoin Blockchain.

Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1BkBbYn6JL1VBuFQcYK4UXm4HPxWWCSGfc

Re: Im Juan Garavaglia, Rootstock.io Ask Me Anything!

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:18 am

I am a Bitcoin entrepreneur. Actively involved in Bitcoin ecosystem since 2013, since then focused in Bitcoin Mining, now working in the Rootstock.io project to help Bitcoin Blockchain to become more usable as a Smart Contract platform fully integrated with the main Bitcoin Blockchain.
I find Rootstock quite an interesting, even exciting proposition as an alternative to Ethereum. I would like to know what is your role in Rootstock to know better what to ask you.

kaibakker
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:03 am

Hey Juan,

Rootstock seems like a really interesting project. I totally believe in the idea, and with the question below I want to learn if I also can believe in the execution!

When do you expect to ship rootstock as a usable product?
Are there people working fulltime on it?
How do you plan to make money (or should I see it as a hobby project)?

The best of luck, Rootstock is an important project for bitcoin!
Kai

juju
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:55 pm

I find Rootstock quite an interesting, even exciting proposition as an alternative to Ethereum. I would like to know what is your role in Rootstock to know better what to ask you.

Thanks for your question.

We have seen how the concept of Smart Contracts starts to become solid and evolves from the abstract to the tangible, with different implementations in different directions which provides a logical dose of confusion which is normal and expected for this stage of the industry.

Rootstock has a core team (http://www.rootstock.io/#rootstockers) the team has two main leaders Sergio Demián Lerner (@SDLerner) and Diego Gutierrez Zaldivar (@dieguito), as part of a group of motivated Bitcoin experts, my personal role in RSK is more oriented to developing the required relations with industry leaders, mining pools and mining farms as a crucial part of the RSK project.

Juan

Joe
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:27 pm

What do you think of those who say, "Blockchain is the future, not Bitcoin..."

juju
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:32 pm

Hey Juan,

Rootstock seems like a really interesting project. I totally believe in the idea, and with the question below I want to learn if I also can believe in the execution!

When do you expect to ship rootstock as a usable product?
Are there people working fulltime on it?
How do you plan to make money (or should I see it as a hobby project)?

The best of luck, Rootstock is an important project for bitcoin!
Kai
Thank for your questions.

We are working very focused and doing significant advances day after day, we will confirming the release days very soon.

Yes, most of the team is full time and all the relevant members are full time.

RSK is a Smart Contract platform, the revenues from platform usage,will be distributed in a huge percentage (80% estimated) with the Bitcoin miners, the remaining revenues will be used to keep a solid and well paid development team, and when the transactions level rise significantly some of the revenues will be distributed among shareholders. We are convinced that this approach of Smart Contacts will empower the Bitcoin adoption and that is the most important for the RSK team and investors.

Regards

Juan

juju
AMA
AMA

Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:43 pm

What do you think of those who say, "Blockchain is the future, not Bitcoin..."
Joe

Few days ago I wrote a Tweet https://twitter.com/GaravagliaJuan/stat ... 8778846208

The Blockchain is not the solution is the way.

I respect any opinion and really think most of them helps, BITCOIN is a crypto currency, a P2P network, a Public Ledger (Blockchain), a way to sign transaction, all are parts of the same thing, Blockchain is the future, but as part of "Bitcoin System" the power of the Bitcoin Blockchain rely the hundreds of millions invested in mining, thousands of nodes with full copies of Blockchain with no single point of failure, and that is the guarantee that the information cannot be manipulated or lost, if you remove the currency, the miners, the network you just have a TXT file that can be altered and 99.99% of the strength is lost, Bitcoin survived including the Blockchain concept because is a part of a powerful ecosystem, like a fish out of water can't survive without the rest of the parts.

Regards

Juan

psztorc
AMA
AMA

Donate BTC of your choice to 1M5tVTtynuqiS7Goq8hbh5UBcxLaa5XQb8

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi Juan,

My view is that smart contracts are the "permissioned ledgers" of software, which is to say that Smart Contracts are just empty buzzwords of little real world use.

I think that, while people building a 'permissioned ledger' will eventually reinvent 'the database', I think that people working on 'smart contracts' will eventually reinvent 'software' or 'entrepreneurship'.

(From that criticism, I exclude "oracles" and other reputation based I/O systems, which I am already working on and which are are incompatible with generalized smart contract platforms.)

Anyway, from an expert like yourself, what are the use-cases of smart contracts?

-Paul

djc
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello,

I believe that having a smart contracts layer that is backed by the value of Bitcoin can be very interesting indeed. I will certainly avoid many of the bootstrapping issues that other projects like Ethereum are experiencing.

I'd like to hear more about what practical business cases there will be for smart contracts, and how you envision solving the problem oracles (and compensating them)

Thanks.

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:52 pm

Hello Juan,

welcome :)

Do you plan to raise money in the next months?

Can you name some investors?

LCG
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1BkBbYn6JL1VBuFQcYK4UXm4HPxWWCSGfc

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks for your question.

We have seen how the concept of Smart Contracts starts to become solid and evolves from the abstract to the tangible, with different implementations in different directions which provides a logical dose of confusion which is normal and expected for this stage of the industry.

Rootstock has a core team (http://www.rootstock.io/#rootstockers) the team has two main leaders Sergio Demián Lerner (@SDLerner) and Diego Gutierrez Zaldivar (@dieguito), as part of a group of motivated Bitcoin experts, my personal role in RSK is more oriented to developing the required relations with industry leaders, mining pools and mining farms as a crucial part of the RSK project.

Juan
Ah ok, thanks. I do see they will be giving a presentation in Mexico City for the LaBitConf 2015. So, hopefully I will catch that one up.

notig
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:06 pm

As far as rootstock goes... do you see it as a competitor to ethereum? do you see any faults with ethereum? Is it possible to use rootstock and put a program inside of it?

juju
AMA
AMA

Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:59 am

Thank you for your questions. I (Sergio Lerner) will respond these mostly technical questions on behalf of Juan.
As far as rootstock goes... do you see it as a competitor to ethereum?
I see collaboration between all projects (Rootstock, Ethereum and even with Counterparty, which recently announced their own EVM implementation).

I think for dapps to flourish developers need a good open environment including compiler toolset that can target every platform, so companies developing dapps are free to switch between platforms.

Dapps are based on smart-contracts, which have a longer life-span than transactions: they must endure tens of years. In this regards, a new immature cryptocurrency cannot provide the stable long-term security for dapps. We believe that Bitcoin miners will provide strong PoW security for Rootstock and the Bitcoin cryptocurrency is the cryptocurrency of choice and Rootstock and Bitcoin can form a virtuous circle to increase the cryptocurrency network effect.
do you see any faults with ethereum?
Two key decisions taken by the Ethereum team do not fully satisfy me: first, the fact that a new cryptocurrency was created instead of use Bitcoin. Second, targeting GPU mining instead of CPU mining, which seems to me much more fair means of initial wealth distribution for the community, and can also help to increase node counts. Targeting CPU mining is difficult to achieve but Ethereum team did not explored it in-depth (at least there is no documentation about why it was discarded). Also I have some doubts about Ethereum project execution.

Regarding the technical part, which is what interests me most: no cryptocurrency design is perfect, but Ethereum technical design is very good. Every embedded-VM-based smart-contract platform will share a large part of the design. QixCoin, the first quasi-Turing-complete smart-contract platform (that we created back in 2013), was not so different from Ethereum. As QixCoin and Ethereum had the advantage of learning from Bitcoin mistakes, Rootstock has an advantage of learning from Ethereum drawbacks. For instance, we’ve provided several additions, such as native multi-signature multi-scheme support (such as quantum resistant crypto), better scalability, and many more features we’ll share along with the first Rootstock release.
dIs it possible to use rootstock and put a program inside of it?
Yes, that’s the point of an embedded-VM-based smart-contract platform (as opposed to a oracle-based platform, where programs can live outside the platform).

chris.derose

Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 pm

Where can I read more information on how value is transferred into Rootstock from bitcoin. It appears that you intend to use Sidechains, but as best that I can tell - right now your options would require that a group of trusted signers sign value in and out of the bitcoin blockchain. Is that true for Rootstock? If so - who will those signers be?

GrizzlyShibe

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Can we send you some specs to see if our project can be done on your platform?
Sent a DM with more info.

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”