Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
jerallaire
AMA
AMA

I'm Jeremy Allaire, Circle CEO, Ask Me Anything!

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:30 pm

I’m an American-born technologist and Internet entrepreneur. I'm currently CEO and founder of the digital currency company Circle and Chairman of the Board of Brightcove. With my brother J.J. Allaire, I helped found Allaire Corporation in 1995, the company behind ColdFusion, the first commercial web application server platform. Allaire Corp. had a successful IPO in January 1999 and was subsequently acquired by rival Macromedia in 2001. I served as CTO of Macromedia following the acquisition and helped develop the Macromedia MX platform (a suite of software tools and servers aimed at enabling rich applications delivered using Flash Player).

I left Macromedia in February 2003 to join venture capital firm General Catalyst Partners as a technologist and executive-in-residence. In 2004, I founded Brightcove, an online video platform used by many top media and marketing organizations worldwide. After a successful IPO in early 2012, I stepped down as Brightcove CEO in 2013 and currently serves as Chairman of the Board.

In October 2013, I announced the launch of Circle, an Internet-based consumer finance company that aims to bring the power and benefits of digital money, such as Bitcoin, to mainstream consumers.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Last edited by jerallaire on Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realchetmanley

Re: I'm Jeremy Allaire, Circle CEO, Ask Me Anything!

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:37 pm

What is your take on the current "Blockchain" labeling going on within the industry and do you feel this is a detriment to Bitcoin?

MikeSEE

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:40 pm

What do you think will be the real impact of Circle 1, 5, 10 years down the road? What happens to Circle if Bitcoin flourishes, and subsequently, what if Bitcoin dies?

chriswilmer
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Do you talk regularly (or at all) with big miners about Bitcoin and issues like the block size debate? You don't have to reveal your position on the debate, I am just wondering if have an open line of communication with say KnC Miner or 21 Inc (great if you talk to Chinese miners too, but I understand there are additional obstacles there).

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:47 pm

What is your take on the current "Blockchain" labeling going on within the industry and do you feel this is a detriment to Bitcoin?
Yes, I think it is unfortunate. I think most of it -- e.g. financial industry types talking about 'blockchain' -- is really just about not wanting to use the word bitcoin, given what they perceive as its tarnished reputation. If it's helpful in getting the bitcoin blockchain broadly adopted, I'm okay with it to some degree, but ultimately if we want mass mainstream adoption of this network and platform, the brand needs to have strength with consumers.

Right now, we're just not really interested in all of these "permissioned blockchain" type projects, it's really frankly quite boring -- e.g. new forms of transaction and messaging and audit trail middleware for back office settlement. We're interested in an open internet of value exchange, built on open standards, distributed and decentralized protocols, that is permissionless to innovate on, with broad open source foundations. That's really the revolutionary part of this, and a big part of the motivation for starting Circle in early 2013.

Jeremy

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks for all your involvement in Bitcoin so far!

What future development in the Bitcoin ecosystem has you the most excited, and why?
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

whatsupbitcoin

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi Jeremy, I'm a big fan of Circle and strongly believe in the approach you are taking to bring the power of the Bitcoin network to mainstream consumers.

You often talk about Bitcoin becoming the "internet of money," which means it's a payment rails or conduit to transfer money freely around the globe.

It seems to me that bitcoin the token, which is currently traded for $340 per bitcoin, doesn't necessarily need to become extremely valuable to achieve this, since the tokens are only being used momentarily, in transit, to carry value.

Do you agree with this idea, which is opposite to what many long-term Bitcoin believers think, that bitcoin the token doesn't necessarily need to go "to the moon" or keep increasing in value for Bitcoin the network to be successful?
Last edited by whatsupbitcoin on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:51 pm

What do you think will be the real impact of Circle 1, 5, 10 years down the road? What happens to Circle if Bitcoin flourishes, and subsequently, what if Bitcoin dies?
When Sean and I started this project in early 2013, we felt like we were entering a period of transformation that would take at least 10-20 years to really unfold. While it feels like things are moving fast if you are embedded within the space, in reality these changes take a very long time. Keep in mind that e-commerce in the US is still just like 5% of retail sales, some 20 years into its development. And online video viewing is also single digit % of viewing hours compared to legacy broadcast platforms, etc. If in 10-20 years, global digital currency platforms account for 5% of consumer payments flows, I think it will have been an enormous success.

For Circle specifically, right now we're very heads down and focused on innovating on how consumers experience holding, sharing and using money for personal payments, group payments and a lot of other things. We're not interested in iterating on bank-like experiences, rather we're interested in building experiences that build on how people have learned how to share messages and content on the internet.

We're certainly very long on digital currency, though I expect we'll go through many evolutions and changes from where we are today with Bitcoin Core and the existing bitcoin blockchain before we reach real critical mass. We certainly plan to be around to be part of all of that.

Jeremy

Phantom

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:55 pm

@jerallaire Is it true that Circle is trying to distance itself from bitcoin and pushing its users towards their USD wallet?

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/circle- ... g-bitcoin/

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:55 pm

Do you talk regularly (or at all) with big miners about Bitcoin and issues like the block size debate? You don't have to reveal your position on the debate, I am just wondering if have an open line of communication with say KnC Miner or 21 Inc (great if you talk to Chinese miners too, but I understand there are additional obstacles there).
We certainly do talk with a lot of major ecosystem players here in the US, and in Europe and China. I think companies and projects that have built on the bitcoin network would really like to see these issues addressed. We've publicly said we think that the BIP 101 proposal is a reasonable solution, though we'd be happy to see another consensus proposal emerge soon.

The bigger issue is what this lack of results represents, which is a complete breakdown in the ability of the ecosystem and development community to meaningfully iterate on and improve bitcoin, and highlights the weakness of not having a more formal standards process for the evolution of this platform.

Jeremy

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Jeremy, I'm a big fan of Circle and strongly believe in the approach you are taking to bring the power of the Bitcoin network to mainstream consumers.

You often talk about Bitcoin becoming the "internet of money," which means it's a payment rails or conduit to transfer money freely around the globe.

It seems to me that bitcoin the token, which is currently traded for $340 per bitcoin, doesn't necessarily need to become extremely valuable to achieve this, since the tokens are only being used momentarily, in transit, to carry value.

Do you agree with this idea, which is opposite to what many long-term Bitcoin believers think, that bitcoin the token doesn't necessarily need to go "to the moon" or keep increasing in value for Bitcoin the network to be successful?
Yes, we are certainly big advocates for the use of the bitcoin network as a kind of behind the scenes value transfer protocol for the internet, akin to something like SMTP for for value. realize it's not the perfect analogy.

In some respects, yes, the value doesn't need to be really high for such a model to work at scale, but on the flip side, there needs to be sufficient underlying liquidity for the token's exchange value against major currencies (USD/CNY/EUR/GBP/YEN) to handle significantly larger volumes of real trade and payments volume. In this way, BTC and the bitcoin blockchain become a kind of combined 'settlement currency' and 'settlement network', but the settlement currency will need a great deal of liquidity.

I think as a kind of digital asset that powers these trustsless forms of value exchange, I think it can be a highly valuable asset over time.

Jeremy

LeeWallis

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Thank you for creating Circle.

What do you predict will happen in the Bitcoin space within the next 5 years? -- Answered already.

What is the next big move for Circle? Where are you taking it from here?

Thanks

Lee
Last edited by LeeWallis on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi Jeremy, thanks for doing this AMA!

Maybe you can answer this, maybe you can't! ;) But any plans for Circle Pay to develop a fully built bitcoin exchange and not just a brokerage where customers can trade on your platform with advanced trader features?

Thanks!

hakuna_potato
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for giving your time to answer questions on this forum.

What do you imagine The Bitcoin Alliance will accomplish for the bitcoin community?
Do you have any fears that the relationships between bitcoin industry leaders and state institutions or law enforcement will degrade into a new form of regulatory capture?
Do you feel that the thesis of Bitcoin Alliance may be contrary to the ethos of bitcoin being decentralized or anti-establishment?

Cheers,
hakuna_potato
Last edited by hakuna_potato on Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nyeko_12
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DBAq46iSNLTsq33dySBpYpaFqH3pTi9sk

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Why did you guys stop acccepting European debit cards?

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:06 pm

@jerallaire Is it true that Circle is trying to distance itself from bitcoin and pushing its users towards their USD wallet?

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/circle- ... g-bitcoin/
For new customers in the US who are in one of the 47 states where we are licensed or allowed to operate, we default to USD. We're focused on building a great consumer payments app that makes storing and using money easier, free, secure and enjoyable. But we're not interested in building yet another walled garden or closed network, we want to enable people to get the benefits of the bitcoin network (near-instant settlement, nearly free transactions, highly secure, global and open) without having to think in a new currency or hold the currency themselves. Of course, if people want to convert their balance into BTC, they can do so instantly, with no real exchange fee, and store them with our secure online and offline system, which also includes insurance from theft (cyber attacks, physical cold storage breaches, employee fraud) for the full value of their BTC balance. We just don't think that mainstream users interested in 'digital money' want a new currency.

I guess here we diverge from the more ideological view of bitcoin, as a safer, more trustworthy and stronger economic currency that other global reserve currencies. That may well emerge over the long term, but right now we want to help people get the benefits of the open network without having to adopt a new ideology or worry about their spending money's value fluctuating.

Jeremy

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi Jeremy, thanks for doing this AMA!

Maybe you can answer this, maybe you can't! ;) But any plans for Circle Pay to develop a fully built bitcoin exchange and not just a brokerage where customers can trade on your platform with advanced trader features?

Thanks!
Nope. We're a consumer internet company, focused on solving problems for sharing and using money for consumers. We don't think of ourselves as a bitcoin brokerage either. It happens that because we enable people to convert USD into BTC with fair economics that people use us as a kind of brokerage, but that is certainly not the design center for our work.

marct

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I always enjoy your community interactions.

How has Circle's experience been interacting with institutions in the broader financial ecosystem? (past the large funding round, that is)

Has the tone of the interactions changed since you started the company? How do you see this interaction changing going forward? Implications?

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:09 pm

It was a really bad experience for most users. A lot of customers had cards rejected. Those that got them accepted had extra forex and cross border fees. And too many people got caught by risk triggers that put them into manual KYC, which is a horrible experience.

So we decided to put it of until we could provide European customers with the same experience we can offer in the US, and hopefully we'll have that in place real soon now...

Jeremy

nyeko_12
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DBAq46iSNLTsq33dySBpYpaFqH3pTi9sk

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:14 pm

It was a really bad experience for most users. A lot of customers had cards rejected. Those that got them accepted had extra forex and cross border fees. And too many people got caught by risk triggers that put them into manual KYC, which is a horrible experience.

So we decided to put it of until we could provide European customers with the same experience we can offer in the US, and hopefully we'll have that in place real soon now...

Jeremy
Thats understandable, did you guys have any thoughts of possible alternatives for european customers (SEPA,The Nordic payment service Swish etc..)?

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Jeremy,

What is your take on the blocksize issue?

LCG
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Jeremy
Thats understandable, did you guys have any thoughts of possible alternatives for european customers (SEPA,The Nordic payment service Swish etc..)?
When we go live in Europe, we plan to offer a number of popular transfer protocols / networks for moving value in and out of our platform.

BitCoinDream
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi Jeremy... Thanks for doing the AMA. I'd like to know...

i. Where do you see the bitcoin price after 2016 block halving?

ii. Where do you see the bitcoin price after 2020 block halving?

iii. Does Circle have any plan to open a real time exchange like CoinBase/Gemini?

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for giving your time to answer questions on this forum.

What do you imagine The Bitcoin Alliance will accomplish for the bitcoin community?
Do you have any fears that the relationships between bitcoin industry leaders and state institutions or law enforcement will degrade into a new form of regulatory capture?
Do you feel that the thesis of Bitcoin Alliance may be contrary to the ethos of bitcoin being decentralized or anti-establishment?

Cheers,
hakuna_potato
I think you mean the Blockchain Alliance? Which is a really unfortunate moniker given all of the nonsense flying around with 'blockchain' everything.

In any case, I think it is a reasonable thing that industry share ideas with law enforcement. As you probably know, as a regulated financial institution, we're required to comply with the Bank Secrecy Act. Also, because we handle money, including USD and BTC today, we're constantly a target for criminals. In fact, we are under attack 24/7 by cyber criminals who are looking to steal money, defaud other people of their money, and get it out via bitcoin. A lot of these people are really horrible people, involved in broader international criminal syndicates that are involved in all kinds of horrible things including child sex slavery, human trafficing, significant scale narcotics distribution, and of course plain vanilla forms of fraud and cyber crime.

I think a lot of the reaction to this org being formed were / are overblown, implying some kind of secret operating relationships, or sharing customer records, and a lot of other crazy stuff. My understanding is that every quarter or so compliance and risk staff from companies can meet with law enforcement counter parts to share what they are learning.

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Jeremy... Thanks for doing the AMA. I'd like to know...

i. Where do you see the bitcoin price after 2016 block halving?

ii. Where do you see the bitcoin price after 2020 block halving?

iii. Does Circle have any plan to open a real time exchange like CoinBase/Gemini?
I'm not really focused on the price, but I would say that these changes in rate of inflation for BTC should of course drive some exchange value, but at a minimum BTC should price at the marginal cost per coin. Based on innovations in mining chips and data center / energy operations, I think we can see the cost per coin getting back down under $200 (in some mining operations it is below that today), and given the competitive nature of that industry, which tends to converge on real price discovery of the true marginal cost, that would suggest that post 2016 halving that a price around $400 is sustainable.

No idea about 2020.

Nope, we're focused on providing apps for consumers for sharing and using money.

Jeremy

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to do this, I always enjoy your community interactions.

How has Circle's experience been interacting with institutions in the broader financial ecosystem? (past the large funding round, that is)

Has the tone of the interactions changed since you started the company? How do you see this interaction changing going forward? Implications?
We've had a chance to meet and with a number of significant and global financial institutions over the past couple of years.

The tone and nature of the interactions has changed radically since we started the company. The subject matter (bitcoin, digital currency) has evolved from being a pariah idea, to being curious but highly dismissive, to realization that there is something fundamental going on in terms of the innovation and disruptive potential, to embracing specific companies and ideas that build on the bitcoin blockchain. I'd say the same evolution has happened with government officials and policy makers, globally. It's really a remarkable evolution. Same with the "assurance industry" (e.g. audit and accounting firms, insurance companies).

Traditionals are seeing that there is serious capital, serious company and product builders, and serious innovation coming out of this space, and are now scrambling to understand it, albeit to a large degree at an arms length.

Ultimately, of course, I expect mainstream FI's to build their own gateways to the bitcoin blockchain and provide the ability to transmit value over btc in the same way that old world media and communications companies offer their products "over IP".

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:36 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Thank you for creating Circle.

What do you predict will happen in the Bitcoin space within the next 5 years? -- Answered already.

What is the next big move for Circle? Where are you taking it from here?

Thanks

Lee
We're really heavily focused on changing consumer expectations for and experiences of their 'spending account' or 'current account', moving from closed and proprietary, with crappy UX and built-in hidden fees, to an app based model where storing, using and sharing money is instant, global, secure, free and fun, and riffing on UX for how consumers have learned to share content and messages, not bank-like interfaces. We're focused on bringing more fiat currencies onto our platform as well. Mostly, right now, we're really focused on personal payments, including group or social payments; you'll see our apps changing every 2-3 weeks. We're also focused on making customer onboarding as seamless as possible, without compromising and risk and security.

scott4013
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi Jeremy, and thanks for your time. What were the biggest challenges of pioneering a technology into the mainstream (perceptions, dealing with regulators, banks etc), and how does Circle prepare for Bitcoin's moment of mass adoption without know when that moment will be?

Also, I've heard you mention in talks that you were a Political Economy major and that's what I am studying! How has your college education translated to your career in business and technology?

jerallaire
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks for all your involvement in Bitcoin so far!

What future development in the Bitcoin ecosystem has you the most excited, and why?
Thanks Roger!

I'm particularly interested in future extensibility and scriptability options in Bitcoin; fulfilling the promise of 'programmable money', smart contracts, and using the blockchain to secure any kind of asset or data. A lot of experimentation is happening in this space outside of Bitcoin, but I'd really like to see it evolve and grow from Bitcoin Core.

I think for that to happen will require a significant breakthrough in governance, beyond the current model of pull request reviewers, to a much more open and inclusive and global technical standards process, possibly even within the context of an existing standards organization, possibly on its own, with material commitments to developing reference implementations, to broad participation and review of technical proposals, to the development of compatibility test suites, and including scientists, students, industry, etc.

knight22
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi Jeremy,

What you do think of sidechains and Lightning network? Do you think they can be used as a mean to scale bitcoin?

Do you think bitcoin XT is a viable proposition to achieve larger blocks?

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”