Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
Saturn7

Re: Bitcoin.com hosting the largest Bitcoin AMA event ever!

Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Good Job, there are a lot of people in other countries that don't know what's happening.
Hopefully r/bitcoin and bitcointalk will be things of the past. :)

Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1BkBbYn6JL1VBuFQcYK4UXm4HPxWWCSGfc

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Just to clarify. The censorship Roger Ver mentions has never happened over at

The Google+ Bitcoin Community (16,800+ members ) #3 in English
https://plus.google.com/communities/115 ... 8047305300

The Facebook Bitcoin Group (16,500+ members) #4 in English
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheBitcoin/

The Bitcoin Subverse ( 4800+ members ) #8 in English
https://voat.co/v/Bitcoin

I also have kept TGPBC clean, focused and newbie friendly for all of the almost 3 years it has been around now. Specially since it is the one I fully manage myself.

DavidShares
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:13 am

I also have kept TGPBC clean, focused and newbie friendly for all of the almost 3 years it has been around now. Specially since it is the one I fully manage myself.
I can vouch for AvatarX and that he runs a good censorship-free community over on the G+ forum and FB forum. Personally I haven't tried the voat one yet though, so can't speak to it.

Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1BkBbYn6JL1VBuFQcYK4UXm4HPxWWCSGfc

Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:05 am

I can vouch for AvatarX and that he runs a good censorship-free community over on the G+ forum and FB forum. Personally I haven't tried the voat one yet though, so can't speak to it.
Voat one is quite small because Voat controls registration and a lot people I invite ends up not being able to join in. I am just a backup mod there. But I do have promoted it and no doubt it is the reason why it has managed to grow in membership regardless.

About everything else. Thanks for the words. :)

xd1gital

Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:21 am

Since a thread is divided into multiple pages; I wonder the format of this forum is appropriate to do AMA?

bitsko

Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:20 am

Since a thread is divided into multiple pages; I wonder the format of this forum is appropriate to do AMA?
When I wish to find specific content on a forum style such as this, I would click on the users forum name and then 'search users posts'. This would cut through the pages and present all the replies.

h1d

Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 am

Since part of the reason of this AMA is to bring people to this forum (whether the participants like it or not), I guess we have to live with this plain post style.

alexwebs

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:04 am

Any chance you can bring this AMA to http://www.blab.im live video streaming where ppl can ask you questions live on screen ?

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:31 am

Because of the overwhelming response from the public and participants, I've added the following additional participants:

Nejc Kodric, CEO of Bitstamp
Asher Tan, CEO of CoinJar
Jonathan Chester, CEO of Bitwage
Austin Hill of Blockstream
Brett Russell CEO of Bitcoin Integration Group
Eric Larchevêque, CEO of Ledger Wallet
Martin Fernandez CEO of BTCTRIP
Spokesperson for Bitfinex

With even more to come, including lots of girls!

I've also stretched out the event to cover all of November and December.

Check the first post for the current list and schedule.
Last edited by rogerver on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:50 am

Zero upvotes surely isn't censorship, but rather has something to do with an uninspiring title compared to "The mother of all Bitcoin AMAs" which currently has 138 upvotes.
Actually my post with a link to Bitcoin.com was hidden from even being seen by other Reddit users.
If they can't even see it, they can't even vote.
topic7039.html

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:33 am

OgNasty has confirmed to me that he will take part in a AMA on this forum.

@roger, i will ask him to PM to discuss times, let me know if u need and further info.
I see slush is on the list, that's great.

OgNasty has also confirmed so that's 2 big mining pool names.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

BTCFREEE
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Fb1CgMQV22qpDiffEaNSLGEtdCcjv9pv8

Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:39 pm

This is a great idea, I like where this forum is heading, Tweets Going Out! There are a few dev's I know that will want to be part of this.
Learn About Bitcoins and How To get Free Bitcoins. We are trying to share information. :D

http://bitcoinaffiliatelist.com

Acidyo
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 14EvhgnCa62LRKY5ksj9v9UAvM2TsJG8MZ

Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:28 pm

This is gonna be so much fun, to be honest. I already have a few questions lined up.

This should get crossposted to reddit or r/bitcoin before each AMA to attract more people in time.

Let me know if you need any help with moderating the threads and or cleaning up spam/trollposting during the AMA's. I have a lot of experience with it as can be seen here: reddit.com/u/acidyo .

Thanks for setting up these AMA's, recently read the winklevoss AMA on reddit and it was one of the more interesting threads created there in some time. :)

Acidyo
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Zero upvotes surely isn't censorship, but rather has something to do with an uninspiring title compared to "The mother of all Bitcoin AMAs" which currently has 138 upvotes.
Actually my post with a link to Bitcoin.com was hidden from even being seen by other Reddit users.
Are you saying you have gotten shadowbanned by mods over on reddit? It's really unfortunate how r/bitcoin has lost it's free speech lately, the whole point of shadowbans is mostly for spammers/abusers/karmawhores. >.<

Detriment

Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:03 pm

Are you saying you have gotten shadowbanned by mods over on reddit? It's really unfortunate how r/bitcoin has lost it's free speech lately, the whole point of shadowbans is mostly for spammers/abusers/karmawhores. >.<

Am I missing something here? :?

Can someone explain exactly what was banned?

Or is Roger Ver talking about regular Reddit-users not upvoting one of the links posted? Surely that is different from a straight out ban?

scott4013
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:25 am

Hey Roger thanks so much for doing this. It will be an exciting time

Acidyo
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:32 am

Or is Roger Ver talking about regular Reddit-users not upvoting one of the links posted? Surely that is different from a straight out ban?
A shadowban is usually used when a user is posting submissions and the mods have been deleting them cause they have been inappropriate or not to their liking. These mods can then shadowban a user without his knowledge, this leads to his submissions never being visible to anyone except for the submitter himself. Usually by logging onto a fresh reddit account or opening reddit in incognito and browsing the new section you will notice that the submission isn't there at all.

This has been a method to avoid spammers, self-promoters and other abusive stuff but as some subreddits have certain mods that are in charge of which posts stay and which don't, it creates a sort of centralized situation for discussion and free speech.

OgNasty
AMA
AMA

Donate BTC of your choice to 1NastyFRkeUTmMdbMmzggDVTQA6r3ibUoX

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:52 am

OgNasty has also confirmed...
Thanks. I appreciate the invite and look forward to participating.

Detriment

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:45 am

A shadowban is usually used when a user is posting submissions and the mods have been deleting them cause they have been inappropriate or not to their liking. These mods can then shadowban a user without his knowledge, this leads to his submissions never being visible to anyone except for the submitter himself. Usually by logging onto a fresh reddit account or opening reddit in incognito and browsing the new section you will notice that the submission isn't there at all.

This has been a method to avoid spammers, self-promoters and other abusive stuff but as some subreddits have certain mods that are in charge of which posts stay and which don't, it creates a sort of centralized situation for discussion and free speech.
Ok. Does a shadowban entail that a post gets deleted or that it just isn't visible to others on the main subreddit page, but only in search?

Could some of these be shadowbanned even though I find them easily enough in the search function?

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:08 am

A mod from /r/Bitcoin was nice enough to contact me via twitter and explain to me what they think happened.
Supposedly it went something like this:

1. Someone submitted the link to this article on /r/Bitcoin
2. Almost instantly, someone else, who is not a reddit moderator, reported the submission as spam.
3. Once it was reported as spam, no other users of /r/Bitcoin can even see the post at all. My friend verified for me that the post was not visible on reddit during this time when viewed from his IP address and reddit account. This has the effect of a shadow ban even if it wasn't initiated by a moderator.
4. Several hours later, after the article was no longer on the front page of the "new" section, the post was approved by a moderator. By that time, no one will see the post, so it no longer has a chance to make it to the front page.
5. During the interim, I submitted a link to this article, not hosted on Bitcoin.com. It was immediately viewable across /r/Bitcoin and immediately was voted to the top.

6. Over the last few months, nearly ever time I have submitted a link to something on Bitcoin.com, something like this has happened. I don't know if there is an orchestrated effort to suppress links to Bitcoin.com material on /r/reddit, but it sure seems that way. As someone who is spending my own time and money promoting bitcoin, it is very frustrating to deal with things like this. Short of making Bitcoin.com the premier portal for Bitcoin related content, I'm not sure what can be done to stop this type of suppression. I would love to hear additional ideas, and have started another thread here to discuss it.
Please don't hijack this thread to discuss it.
topic7039.html

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:00 am

Just added:

Nov 7th, OgNasty, treasurer at bitcointalk.org
Nov 8th, Sam Lee, CEO of Bitcoin Group
Nov 24th, Meinhard Benn, CEO of SatoshiPay
Dec Matt Luongo, CEO of FoldApp
Dec Connie M. Gallippi, Founder of Bitgive

and have several more lined up!
topic7039.html

helloworld
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:26 am

Nice. Hopefully bitcoin.com can overcome the network effect of forums owned by theymos.

Detriment

Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:07 pm

A mod from /r/Bitcoin was nice enough to contact me via twitter and explain to me what they think happened.
Supposedly it went something like this:

1. Someone submitted the link to this article on /r/Bitcoin
2. Almost instantly, someone else, who is not a reddit moderator, reported the submission as spam.
3. Once it was reported as spam, no other users of /r/Bitcoin can even see the post at all. My friend verified for me that the post was not visible on reddit during this time when viewed from his IP address and reddit account. This has the effect of a shadow ban even if it wasn't initiated by a moderator.
4. Several hours later, after the article was no longer on the front page of the "new" section, the post was approved by a moderator. By that time, no one will see the post, so it no longer has a chance to make it to the front page.
5. During the interim, I submitted a link to this article, not hosted on Bitcoin.com. It was immediately viewable across /r/Bitcoin and immediately was voted to the top.

6. Over the last few months, nearly ever time I have submitted a link to something on Bitcoin.com, something like this has happened. I don't know if there is an orchestrated effort to suppress links to Bitcoin.com material on /r/reddit, but it sure seems that way. As someone who is spending my own time and money promoting bitcoin, it is very frustrating to deal with things like this. Short of making Bitcoin.com the premier portal for Bitcoin related content, I'm not sure what can be done to stop this type of suppression. I would love to hear additional ideas, and have started another thread here to discuss it.
Please don't hijack this thread to discuss it.
Thanks a lot for explaining that.

This AMA list is impressive, I have already started collecting questions I want to ask some of these people. Definitely going to be fun :D

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:02 am

A few more big names to add!

Nov 6th, Marshall Long, CTO of Final Hash
Nov 8th, Valery Vavilov, CEO of BitFury
Nov 19th, Jonathan Chester, President of BitWage
Nov 22nd, Danny Scott, Co-Founder of CoinCorner (Joined by Molly Spiers)
Dec 4th, Zane Tackett, Director of Community & Product Development for Bitfinex
Dec 5th, Anthony Di lorio, CEO of Decentral & Kryptokit
Dec 9th, Jeff Berwick, CEO of The Dollar Vigilante 12:00 EST
Dec 21st, Jihan Wu, CEO of Bitmain (AntMiner)
Dec 22nd, Chandler Guo, Chinese Bitcoin Angel Investor
Dec Craig Sellars, Co-Founder and CTO of Tether
Last edited by rogerver on Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
topic7039.html

CoinCorner_Molly

Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Because of the overwhelming response from the public and participants, I've added the following additional participants:

Nejc Kodric, CEO of Bitstamp
Asher Tan, CEO of CoinJar
Jonathan Chester, CEO of Bitwage
Austin Hill of Blockstream
Brett Russell CEO of Bitcoin Integration Group
Eric Larchevêque, CEO of Ledger Wallet
Martin Fernandez CEO of BTCTRIP
Spokesperson for Bitfinex

With even more to come, including lots of girls!

I've also stretched out the event to cover all of November and December.

Check the first post for the current list and schedule.
Hi Roger, I'm Molly from CoinCorner - representing the girls in the bitcoin industry! :D
Looking forward to participating in this AMA with Danny Scott (CoinCorner Co-Founder) on November 22nd! :)

CoinCorner - Buy and Sell Bitcoins in the UK and Europe

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Roger, I'm Molly from CoinCorner - representing the girls in the bitcoin industry! :D
Looking forward to participating in this AMA with Danny Scott (CoinCorner Co-Founder) on November 22nd! :)
Hey Molly, glad to see you here, and happy to hear CoinCorner is participating in the AMA! :)

PS on a side note, I sent you an email a week ago (or so), were you able to take a look? Thanks!

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:31 pm

I just added
Nov 9th, George Basiladze, CEO of Cryptopay
Dec 10th, Mark Lamb, CEO of Coinfloor
topic7039.html

achow101
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:07 am

What time do these AMAs begin and end? Are they all day or just whenever the person is online?

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:35 am

What time do these AMAs begin and end? Are they all day or just whenever the person is online?
I will start adding start times for each AMA in the coming days.

I also had time to add a bunch more press links that we have received:

Bitcoin.com
Bloomberg.com
Medium.com
MarketWatch
Yahoo Singapore
CNBC
International Business Times
Boston.com
Digital Journal
TheStreet.com
SeekingAlpha
Virtual-Strategy Magazine
IT-Business Net
Sys-Con Media
IT-News Online
Street Insider
Bitcoinist.net
Insidebitcoins.com
Bitcoin Talk Radio
Bitcoinnewsoffice.com
Bitcoinwarrior.net
TheCoinDesk.com
Cryptofellows.com
topic7039.html

nyeko_12
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DBAq46iSNLTsq33dySBpYpaFqH3pTi9sk

Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:37 pm

Roger Have you reached out to Taylor and Cameron Winkelvoss(CEOs of Gemini),Elizabeth Rosello(CEO of Bitpesa) Brian Armstrong(CEO of Coinbase) for a AMA?

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”