omar0117

General Data Protection Regulation for 25th may 2018

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Hey everyone,

I and a friend have started to do our master thesis based on Blockchains potential in customer data management. The motivation behind it was because of the new EU regulation General Data Protection Regulation for 25th may 2018. In the regulation, Organisations outside the EU are subject to this regulation when they collect data concerning any EU citizen.
GDPR is designed to give individuals better control over their personal data held by organisations. Personal data is defined as any information relating to a person who can be identified directly or indirectly. This includes online identifiers, such as IP addresses and cookies, if they are capable of being linked back to the data subject.
Indirect information might include physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identities that can be linked back to a specific individual.

A key part of the regulation requires consent to be given by the individual whose data is held. Consent means “any freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous indication of his or her wishes by which the data subject, either by statement or by a clear affirmative action, signifies agreement to personal data relating to them being processed”.

Most of the factors the Blockchain can work well with, however, consumers have the right to access, rectify or erase the data and the right to withdraw consent at any time.

Is there a way to tackle the erasure of data at all?

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Re: General Data Protection Regulation for 25th may 2018

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi there omar0117,

I think it's fantastic that you and your friend have chosen to tackle this topic as part of your master thesis!

Unfortunately I wouldn't be the person that is best placed to help answer your question, and although this is indeed a question centering around a legal framework you may see a better response in the main Bitcoin Discussion sub-forum. Please feel free to let me know if you'd like me to move your thread there for you - it can always be moved back here once it gains traction, if desired.

Fremont

Return to “Legal”