Constant spam from Chinese user

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 am

There has been a constant stream of spam by this user here: y654eg-u10878/

Spam posts:

topic14190.html
topic14192.html
topic14191.html

etc. etc.

As the forum moderators are not as active as bitcointalk moderators, they are able to take advantage of this.

Shouldn't we do something to stop this? Posting limits are not enough, obviously. Otherwise we will be under attack just like bitcointalk was at one stage with posting bots.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Re: Constant spam from Chinese user

Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 am

There has been a constant stream of spam by this user here: y654eg-u10878/

Spam posts:

topic14190.html
topic14192.html
topic14191.html

etc. etc.

As the forum moderators are not as active as bitcointalk moderators, they are able to take advantage of this.

Shouldn't we do something to stop this? Posting limits are not enough, obviously. Otherwise we will be under attack just like bitcointalk was at one stage with posting bots.
Thank you for reporting.
This has been an ongoing issue and a spam filter is being looked into, its just hard to filter anything on a forum you want to remain censorship free but we'll get there.

As for the moderators here not being as active as on the other forumyou are right and we have already addressed this issue by recently taking on a new moderator, they should be active by the end of this week to help take some of the workload off myself.

Please remember that we are all just volunteers here so try to put in as much time as possible between other jobs.

Regards: bitkilo.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

defcon23
AMA
AMA

Donate BTC of your choice to 12FkPaQSu1PjJfnk1X9qQ5HFEGBGVk1vrt

Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:38 pm

yeah ... I have already reported this spammer..
that's sucks... :(

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Ive noticed this too. The moderator position is fully voluntary, so anything a moderator does is out of their own free time.

I'm pretty sure the current admins are taking on some new moderators right now, so that will greatly help. Reporting the spam posts also helps.
theres a snake in my boot

Westernory
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 am

Lets see:

topic14726.html
topic14725.html
topic14724.html
topic14723.html

Same user, advertising university graduation certificates?

This user here: asdsdm00p5-u11446/

Hopefully bitkilo or another mod can fix this up soon, or potentially IP ban them.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:14 am

Lets see:

topic14726.html
topic14725.html
topic14724.html
topic14723.html

Hopefully bitkilo or another mod can fix this up soon, or potentially IP ban them.
Thanks again for reporting, the user is question has be banned and all posts have been deleted.

We have been getting hit hard lately with this Chinese spam crap, i have personally banned about 5 of these spammers today alone and average maybe 20 or 30 of these a week, it's hell when your just about the only active moderator.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

Westernory
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:28 am

Lets see:

topic14726.html
topic14725.html
topic14724.html
topic14723.html

Thanks again for reporting, the user is question has be banned and all posts have been deleted.

We have been getting hit hard lately with this Chinese spam crap, i have personally banned about 5 of these spammers today alone and average maybe 20 or 30 of these a week, it's hell when your just about the only active moderator.
No problems, a pleasure.

Yeah, it is always tough when you're the only active guy online? Isn't it?

As I said - Is there a way to IP ban this user, so he at least needs to change his IP everytime which is substantially slower and more cumbersome process for him to go through, in order to spam?

Thanks

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:21 am

As I said - Is there a way to IP ban this user, so he at least needs to change his IP everytime which is substantially slower and more cumbersome process for him to go through, in order to spam?
Unfortunately we can't utilise IP bans due to the fact that many people use VPNs and Tor to connect; banning one IP could have the effect of silencing 10 or even 100 regular users, and we can't risk censoring even a single person's right to free speech here.

bitkilo does a great job at handling the spam as it comes in, and when I'm online I nuke at least 4 or 5 of them per day too so the problem is pretty prevalent. I'm loathe to create overzealous posting restrictions as that can often discourage user participation (even more-so than a forum temporarily hit with mass spam) but we're currently considering a couple of different options for managing this.

Sorry for any inconvenience / mess they cause, guys!

Fremont

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:39 am

Lets see:

topic14726.html
topic14725.html
topic14724.html
topic14723.html

No problems, a pleasure.

Thanks
Unfortunately we can't ban the IP addresses, something due to the way the forum is setup to allow traffic to pass through a proxy server.

Email is banned so whoever is doing it needs a new email each time.

Hopefully the admins are still looking into a new way to filter this stuff.

grandFX
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 19BkU3ZUHsHaiJ2vye4JHEZYZBhfvnrkTB

Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:19 pm

this week, I have seen a lot of spammer chinese user
and I always report his post with click on a flag to mod or admin. I hope it will can help.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:19 am

No problems, a pleasure.

Thanks
Unfortunately we can't ban the IP addresses, something due to the way the forum is setup to allow traffic to pass through a proxy server.

Email is banned so whoever is doing it needs a new email each time.

Hopefully the admins are still looking into a new way to filter this stuff.
Another way to stop this is to ban the whole email domain, if it isn't a public email server then it will only affect the spammer and those linked to them.

I've been reporting a couple of spam posts, but they mostly get deleted before even I can react. Great job, mods! :)

rendravolt
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 13T2aPdsiVtupF4XKScDhJ6RKrwyqNAVoT

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Already this week I saw it, and very disturbing!

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:26 pm

Another way to stop this is to ban the whole email domain, if it isn't a public email server then it will only affect the spammer and those linked to them.

I've been reporting a couple of spam posts, but they mostly get deleted before even I can react. Great job, mods! :)
Unfortunately the spammers use many different email services, all of them public. :roll: Thanks for the suggestion though, Decoded!

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:13 am

The forum should have a voting system. You can gain "vote power" through staking an address with x amount of bitcoin, or simply through forum reputation. Maybe 5 people with more than 25 reputation who report a post automatically deletes it, or something like that. Less strain on the mod's shoulders.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:06 am

The forum should have a voting system. You can gain "vote power" through staking an address with x amount of bitcoin, or simply through forum reputation. Maybe 5 people with more than 25 reputation who report a post automatically deletes it, or something like that. Less strain on the mod's shoulders.
I can see what you are trying to do and it's appreciated but we could not implement a system like that.

It would not take a few account farmers long to vote each other up to 25 rep points then start deleting threads all other the forum.

We also do not want any threads deleted, the Chinese spam gets deleted just because it is quicker has has no importance but all other posts that are not suitable for the forum are moved to the trashcan board where they stay for 2 weeks before being removed.

I am not really a fan of voting that is based on a signed message from a bitcoin address that has funds sitting in it, I like many prefer to have their funds in a separate most likely cold storage address.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:48 am

I can see what you are trying to do and it's appreciated but we could not implement a system like that.

It would not take a few account farmers long to vote each other up to 25 rep points then start deleting threads all other the forum.

We also do not want any threads deleted, the Chinese spam gets deleted just because it is quicker has has no importance but all other posts that are not suitable for the forum are moved to the trashcan board where they stay for 2 weeks before being removed.

I am not really a fan of voting that is based on a signed message from a bitcoin address that has funds sitting in it, I like many prefer to have their funds in a separate most likely cold storage address.
I see the flaw in my plan...

May I ask, why are you against signing messages on funded addresses? Cold storage wallets can be signed offline, unless you are talking about a paper wallet (You could still pre-sign the message offline, print it out offline, then fund it, then send in the signed message.)

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:58 am

I see the flaw in my plan...

May I ask, why are you against signing messages on funded addresses? Cold storage wallets can be signed offline, unless you are talking about a paper wallet (You could still pre-sign the message offline, print it out offline, then fund it, then send in the signed message.)
Voting that is based on addresses that only have funds in them can mean the the vote can be upset at any point because people may just want to spend or move the funds from that address, at that point his vote no longer counts as much and they may not be the voters opinion.
It can be useful in some situations.

I also just personally prefer to keep any cold store address funds as secret as possible, but that's just paranoid me.

Return to “The Forum”