Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

[FAQ] All about unconfirmed transactions. Please read!

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:09 pm

I have an unconfirmed transaction and/or it is confirming super slow. What should I do?

Be patient and wait. The transaction should confirm within 5 days. If it does not, tell the sender to resend with a fee. Do not ship goods without at least 1 confirmation. Please do not ask for help; it will not speed up confirmations.

Blockchain.info says it should be confirmed by now, but it is still not confirmed!

Blockchain.info's confirmation time is just a guess. Confirmation times may vary wildly, so do not be concerned when your confirmation time is long. Sit tight and your transaction will confirm.

Their transaction prediction system is also extremely outdated. Anything more than about 50 satoshi per byte will show up as "Will be in the next block", when in reality the priority is much, much higher.

How can I speed up confirmation in the future?

Use a wallet with dynamic fees (most do nowadays) and use the recommended fee set by the wallet. For fastest confirmations, always set dynamic fee to be the highest estimate.

How does Bitcoin's fee policy work?

Transaction fees are based on the size of the transaction. Sending to many recipients, or sending from a wallet that received "dust" transactions will increase transaction size. How much fee you pay matters as well; 0.001 btc/kb will confirm within the next block whereas 0.0001 may take several blocks. These policies are in place to prevent large blocks (bad for miners) and transaction spam (bad for everyone running a full node).

How do I resend a transaction?

Bitcoin-qt will rebroadcast unconfirmed transactions every 30 minutes or so. As long as the sender has his client open, the transaction will be rebroadcast.

I sent a transaction without a fee. Can I add a fee to it?

You cannot add a fee to a transaction once it has been broadcasted. What you can do is create a "double spend" transaction, which essentially uses the same transaction inputs, but in a duplicate transaction, spending the same money twice. However miners only will accept one transaction.

For Bitcoin Core users:
  • Right click the transaction and choose "Abandon Transaction"
    Send the coins again with a higher fee.
Third party client usersHow do I remove an unconfirmed transaction?

If you do not want to see the unconfirmed transaction, you can remove the transaction from your wallet. Once the transaction gets confirmed, it will reappear in your wallet.

How do I know what fee to use?
A great way to calculate the most efficient fee for a bitcoin transaction is to use the site https://bitcoinfees.21.co/ (or cointape.com). Looking through the page, it will tell you the optimal satoshi per byte ratio. For example, the current optimal satoshi/byte ratio is 100 satoshi/byte.

You can calculate the size of a transaction with a simple calculation. Each input is around 180 bytes, and each output is 34 bytes. Add 10 bytes to this value and you will get a close estimate to the actual fee.

With the values you now have, you can multiply the satoshi/byte to the size of the transaction.

For example, if I were to have one input and two outputs, the transaction would be 180 + 34 + 34 + 10 or 258 bytes. Multiply this by 100 satoshi/byte, you get 25800 satoshi, or 0.000258 btc.

I used a high fee but my transaction wasnt confirmed

Miners have the capability to allow certain transactions or even blacklist some from the block they are mining. It could be that they prioritised you after everyone else for some exotic reason, or maybe they blacklisted everything. Just wait and with time, your transaction will confirm.

My transaction isn't showing up on certain block explorers, like blockchain.info, but it is showing up in my wallet and in others, like blockr.io!

After a while, your transaction may be dropped from certain nodes. Node operators can set certain parameters, like dropping a transaction from the mempool quicker than normal to reduce bloat. It is a common occurrence with blockchain.info.

What you should do is rebroadcast the transaction. Your transaction has moved down the priority ranks, and is slowly being forgotten. If you rebroadcasted, you will be nudged back up, like bumping a thread here on bitcoin.com.

Why aren't the blocks completely full? (Not being exactly 1MB)

Transactions arent made perfect. Some transactions can be a really odd value, like 271 bytes and its hard to fit these into a perfect block.

The most recent block is empty. Does that mean that no transaction was confirmed but the coin reward?

Yes. Miners are free to choose what transactions to put into a block, and if to put any in, for that matter. At a glance, this may seem like a lose-lose scenario. The miner doesn't get the transaction fees that the users are paying, and the users don't get their transaction confirmed.

The main reason miners do this, is a method called SPV mining, or validationless hashing. After a block is mined and before the miners start mining the next one, the miners have to download the previous block to verify the transactions and get a general idea on what to mine. The concept of SPV mining is mining without the above process, so a miner can start just before everyone else. When it comes to mining, every single hash counts. But is it worth the price to pay for neglecting transactions?

Thanks to Grue from Bitcointalk and Westernory
Last edited by Decoded on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:22 am, edited 7 times in total.
theres a snake in my boot

Westernory
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: [FAQ] All about unconfirmed transactions. Please read!

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:15 am

Nice guide. There is really nothing you can do if you send a transaction with a low fee. If you follow the transaction schedule here: https://bitcoinfees.21.co/ Then you are likely to get your transaction confirmed within the first 3 blocks. There are periods where the blocks are just really really full and people are spamming the network with small transactions, again, nothing you can do about that.

TLDR; If you are worried about your transaction not confirming, or you are needing the bitcoins to be confirmed quickly, then just pay more fees to be safe. Bitcoin transaction fees are low enough and even if you increase it drastically it won't exceed WU's money transfer fees.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:10 am

Contributions

- Grue
- Westernony
- Decoded

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [FAQ] All about unconfirmed transactions. Please read!  Topic is solved

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:09 am

Bump! Updated with more info.
Last edited by Decoded on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rmcdermott927
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:46 am

Very informative. Maybe this will help fix the semi-regular "my transaction has been stuck for 24 hours" threads.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Very informative. Maybe this will help fix the semi-regular "my transaction has been stuck for 24 hours" threads.
Not that there are many threads like that here! This forum is like Bitcointalk before all the crap came along. A tight-knit community free of shitposts and repetition.

I can't delete my bump above, sorry!

Westernory
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:37 pm

https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator/

There you go, a helpful tool to speed up your unconfirmed transaction. However there is a minimum transaction fee of 0.0001 BTC/KB for your transaction to be eligible for acceleration due to malicious double spending.

Also only the first 100 applicants in the hour will be able to successfully submit their transaction. Completely free though.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:06 pm

There you go, a helpful tool to speed up your unconfirmed transaction. However there is a minimum transaction fee of 0.0001 BTC/KB for your transaction to be eligible for acceleration due to malicious double spending.

Also only the first 100 applicants in the hour will be able to successfully submit their transaction. Completely free though.
I knew about this transaction accelerator before, but didn't put it in. It the ideal answer, since it encourages low fee-spending and the like. It also only works when viabtc mines the block.

Westernory
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:33 am

I knew about this transaction accelerator before, but didn't put it in. It the ideal answer, since it encourages low fee-spending and the like. It also only works when viabtc mines the block.
ViaBTC has a cool share of the bitcoin total hashing rate, which means that you'll have more of a chance using the accelerator than not. Of course, it is free as well so it doesn't really hurt at all to use it.

I wouldn't really say that 0.0001 BTC/KB is an extremely low fee. After all a low fee is what makes bitcoin superior to WU and PP, right? ;)

piebeyb
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EsWXN3VcBb2rRenMBYd4V3WTfiZxaaiK3

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:36 pm

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232979.0

it looks like I could be more like you, reconstruct the existing thread on bitcointalk or forum other woods to make quality posts in this forum at least it's helpful for other users here, I have to do creative like you to make the wording at least maybe I need to copy the whole post others outside of this forum, I hope it was fun :)
Image Tip me BCH : qzahl4e8mqy5se6sdnc6j24mv4vtdtlpv5jmnhsw3n

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:29 pm

it looks like I could be more like you, reconstruct the existing thread on bitcointalk or forum other woods to make quality posts in this forum at least it's helpful for other users here, I have to do creative like you to make the wording at least maybe I need to copy the whole post others outside of this forum, I hope it was fun :)
Do you think I would have gone through copying and pasting, and adding all this extra info and rewording just to make a little bit of dust from a signature campaign post? Please, be serious.

I gave Grue credit. If you want, I can add the link to the bitcointalk thread in the OP. I'm trying to be an assistance to the community, and if you don't see that, stay away.

piebeyb
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EsWXN3VcBb2rRenMBYd4V3WTfiZxaaiK3

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 pm

Do you think I would have gone through copying and pasting, and adding all this extra info and rewording just to make a little bit of dust from a signature campaign post? Please, be serious.

I gave Grue credit. If you want, I can add the link to the bitcointalk thread in the OP. I'm trying to be an assistance to the community, and if you don't see that, stay away.
I have no problems with you because it does not concern me correcting your post even though you have corrected the addresses of my wallet using a mixer, I am very happy to know you and all users on this forum, I think you really should not pollute your signature let alone give evidence what's what, again, I do not interfere in your affairs and do not need to make my words be a problem, thanks
Image Tip me BCH : qzahl4e8mqy5se6sdnc6j24mv4vtdtlpv5jmnhsw3n

Return to “Technical Support”