BTCLuke
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: OVERVIEW: BITCOIN HARDWARE WALLETS █████████████████ Secure your Coins!

Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:09 am

KeepKey's almost done with development... And since I'm doing a review on one, I've already got one right here!

It's a beauty... Apparently the firmware is exactly the same as Trezor's but it's just put on a big, beautiful screen with a few extra security enhancements. I wouldn't feel scared putting a thousand coins on this baby.

keonne
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Very nice list and write ups. I have a Trezor and a Ledger which I use pretty happily. The other ones you listed seem really cool as well. I also use Sentinel Watch Only on my Android phone to keep track of my cold storage balances and receive addresses. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... i.sentinel

BoB

Donate BTC of your choice to 1JnpxghRVmGipRnqxANdjLnpWMbF6ZoV1N

Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:43 pm

I got my new wallets from BitStashers today - http://www.bitstashers.com/?bistasherfr ... 89cc14862c - if ref links are frowned upon here I'm happy to remove it. Hell, I'll be happy to know that someone has visited and brought from them, I don't need anything for it.

I'm not sure they belong in this category, as they aren't technically a hardware wallet, more of a cold storage one, but using mycelium to import the keys, use the funds and delete the wallet takes seconds. If, however, this is considered the wrong place, please by all means move it to its own category :-)

The private keys are BIP38 encrypted and you can have additional addys added - I've used a colorcore based open asset addy to provide further functionality.

btc
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:08 am

any reviews sites around for these things?

dill
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:39 pm

KeepKey Hardware Wallet Review

If you already own a TREZOR, there’s little upgrade for you here. However, if you are in the market for your first hardware wallet (something I strongly recommend), the KeepKey is well worth consideration. Having used both, I wanted to share my experience.

http://blockzero.org/2015/10/02/keepkey ... et-review/
Have you tried using the Trezor with KeepKey's Chrome wallet? (It said it didn't support passwords yet but if you have your Trezor set up without passwords you might be able to use the Trezor. Might be interesting as a backup if mytrezor.com is down or don't want to install Electrum)

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:10 am

Sorry but having release dates probably wouldn't help much here as these things are never released ontime.
Best idea would be just to keep an eye on BTC news sites for the one you are waiting on.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

CryptKeeper
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1KA7KBJaRVLqZNJj4QJAJzs1yVEN5zG91

Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:31 am

SatoshiLabs released new myTrezor website, lots of new features:
https://medium.com/@satoshilabs/bitcoin ... .b7zdzjkul
Follow me on twitter for the latest news on bitcoin and altcoins and I'll follow you back the same day!
Don't miss the free Byteball airdrop! byteball.org

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:29 pm

Very interesting list, I haven't heard of half of them. Trezor is probably the best known.
Maybe the release date could be added so the readers will know how long it's been on the market?
Trezor has been available since May 2014 when the first metal cased Trezors shipped, followed by the plastic version later in the year.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Interview Melanie Shapiro, CEO of Case Wallet

http://thebitcoinpodcast.com/episode-25/
We have been using our Case hardware wallet for a few days now and it has become our favorite way to spend bitcoin. The first production run of 1000 is sold out.

dill
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:14 am

With Copay's recent release it might be worthwhile to mention somewhere in OP that that Trezor and Ledger work with Copay multisig for extra security. The main significance is that by creating 2 of 2 wallets where one key is the hardware wallet and the other key software based, the risk of tampered hardware wallets becomes less of a risk even if already quite low. You pretty much get hardware wallet security PLUS another key that the hardware wallet has no part in creating.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Mycelium is close to launching it’s bitcoin hardware wallet

http://bitcoinx.io/news/articles/myceli ... re-wallet/
The Mycelium offering is not a traditional bitcoin hardware wallet like Trezor or Ledger. Scanning the info available mentions transactions only take place between Mycelium card holders or Mycelium merchants who have a hub setup. Also uses Colu.co’s Colored Coin Platform to store value.

phideas

Donate BTC of your choice to 3AXo2RkKqYVg5Ve3FyJQoMQaNQBTw6b3g6

Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Just wow to Mycelium. They're mixing the tech nicely together in this card.
graphic designer and web developer
www.phideas.info

E-mail: mail@phideas.info | Telegram: @phideas

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Mycelium is close to launching it’s bitcoin hardware wallet

http://bitcoinx.io/news/articles/myceli ... re-wallet/
The Mycelium offering is not a traditional bitcoin hardware wallet like Trezor or Ledger. Scanning the info available mentions transactions only take place between Mycelium card holders or Mycelium merchants who have a hub setup. Also uses Colu.co’s Colored Coin Platform to store value.
I wouldn't call this a hardware wallet either.
Although cool and different its in a category all by it self this one.

That's how Mycelium work, always doing something slightly different and the end product is always great.
I like the future of that company very much.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

JordanT
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:38 am

I've been working on a website about hardware wallets.

Litecoinguy, let me know what you think!

https://www.coldhardware.com/

JordanT
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:11 am

I've been working on a website about hardware wallets.

Litecoinguy, let me know what you think!

looks good. :) but there are missing some hardware wallets right?
Yup! Still getting everything added. Will add all the wallets down the line.

For now, creating awesome content like this:
https://www.coldhardware.com/mycelium/
https://www.coldhardware.com/software-wallets/

Have you heard anything about when Case will be available for purchase again?

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Over the past year I have used Trezor, every hardware wallet Ledger sells, Case and KeepKey.

While other wallets are useful (in particular the Case) nothing comes close to Trezor. It provides features you will not find in any other hardware wallet and is the one I keep coming back to. If you can only afford one hardware wallet you can not go wrong with a Trezor.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:57 am

i dont know when Case is available agian but i hope they make a better looking and less expensive wallet next time :?
Case is for sale again at choosecase.com. Price and looks have not changed.

Vaultoro
AMA
AMA

Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Wow! Thanks for collating all these. I have never heard of most of them. Far out there is so much cool stuff happening in the bitcoin world now.

So many cool mainstream consumer-facing projects are starting up. Give it one year and bitcoin will finally be almost grandma friendly.
Joshua Scigala
CEO Vaultoro.com
The Real-time Bitcoin Gold Exchange and API
Combining the historical security of gold with the speed and transparency of the bitcoin blockchain

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:41 am

Trezor announces next generation device and upcoming hackathon

SatoshiLabs, the makers of the popular hardware wallet Trezor, announced some exciting news today about the next generation of Trezor

Read more: http://bitcoinx.io/news/articles/trezor ... hackathon/

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:13 pm

That video review is already out of date as they used the Nano instead of the new Nano S. All the deficiencies of the Nano were corrected in the Ledger Nano S.

miffman
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 19GFXUea9mFGeTiWpGaQWFiazuH3koCnsZ

Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:54 pm

This thread was actually quite helpful. I didn't know some of the hardware wallets listed. It might be a good idea to look into these further and check it out. Thanks!

Hhampuz
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1D32LQzjyjRKCFPfeUw9xDExE6YmLkdBfB

Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:49 pm

This thread was actually quite helpful. I didn't know some of the hardware wallets listed. It might be a good idea to look into these further and check it out. Thanks!
Agreed, I had no clue at all about some of these. Considering I don't even have any hardware wallet at the moment this thread definitely helped me out :)

coin@coin
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:59 am

SatoshiLabs released new myTrezor website, lots of new features:
https://medium.com/@satoshilabs/bitcoin ... .b7zdzjkul
Ow WOW didn't realize. Still waiting for the new model to come out!

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 am

Man those keepkey hardware wallets look sexy
And they have a special deal going for black Friday: https://news.bitcoin.com/keepkey-lowers ... -ethereum/

KeepKey hardware wallets will be $79 for 24-hours beginning 8:00 am EST on 25th November.
That 20% off!
Any update photos of the new Trezor 2?

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:52 am

Man those keepkey hardware wallets look sexy
And they have a special deal going for black Friday: https://news.bitcoin.com/keepkey-lowers ... -ethereum/

KeepKey hardware wallets will be $79 for 24-hours beginning 8:00 am EST on 25th November.
That 20% off!
Any update photos of the new Trezor 2?

The only image that I know of is this one - Image

Keep in mind that this is still a prototype. The final design has not been decided on. Honestly, I like the implementation of the security chip.

Thing I would recommend:
- Like a USB, a retractable head to prevent accidental damage.
- A more bulky and sturdy design, like the Trezor 1
- Ditch the microusb standard. Newer phones are moving to the USB-C head, which is much better.

What I'm concerned about:
- The structural stability of the device (from the image it's relatively thin. And since it has a USB connector and a touch screen, I would be concerned about pressing on the screen too hard and breaking the device.
theres a snake in my boot

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:13 pm

The problem I have with KeepKey is the company got a free ride off Trezor's back. Instead of using a different approach to hardware wallets like Ledger did KeepKey just took the Trezor code and forked it. Sure the KeepKey looks different and the company made some proprietary changes to the code but under the hood a KeepKey hardware wallet is really just a rebranded Trezor. I think the innovators in this space should be rewarded, not the copiers.

Ledger is actually becoming the leader in hardware wallets. They started as Avis to Trezor's Hertz. They tried harder and are succeeding. The Ledger Nano S really gives up nothing in comparison to Trezor. Next year will be exciting as we wait to see what the Trezor2 will offer in comparison to Ledger's flagship product Ledger Blue. Competition is good for everyone.

Decoded
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1fdFgrw59gczh96esrpJST6MVHyQm4VJK

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:23 am

The problem I have with KeepKey is the company got a free ride off Trezor's back. Instead of using a different approach to hardware wallets like Ledger did KeepKey just took the Trezor code and forked it. Sure the KeepKey looks different and the company made some proprietary changes to the code but under the hood a KeepKey hardware wallet is really just a rebranded Trezor. I think the innovators in this space should be rewarded, not the copiers.

Ledger is actually becoming the leader in hardware wallets. They started as Avis to Trezor's Hertz. They tried harder and are succeeding. The Ledger Nano S really gives up nothing in comparison to Trezor. Next year will be exciting as we wait to see what the Trezor2 will offer in comparison to Ledger's flagship product Ledger Blue. Competition is good for everyone.
Yep. Competition will bring down prices, and bring up the features.

So far, no device has come near the Ledger Blue. The device however is still in it's prototyping stages, so there's still time for a competitor. The closes thing currently is Case, a bitcoin wallet that has access to the internet wherever it goes. The only problem is that the only way to input a bitcoin address is through QR code.

I'm using a Ledger HW.1 and I love it.
theres a snake in my boot

Monbux
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:34 pm

Have used trezor for years now, ran into some glitches along the way but it has been very useful :)

Fukitobashi
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:15 am

Yep. Competition will bring down prices, and bring up the features.

So far, no device has come near the Ledger Blue. The device however is still in it's prototyping stages, so there's still time for a competitor. The closes thing currently is Case, a bitcoin wallet that has access to the internet wherever it goes. The only problem is that the only way to input a bitcoin address is through QR code.

I'm using a Ledger HW.1 and I love it.
Thats true peoples want some affordable hardware wallet , secure and more features.

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”