amsjai

Bitcoin Transaction Shows Two Outputs

Sun May 16, 2021 6:27 am

Hello,

I sent 0.008917 bitcoin (about $450 US) from my Bitcoin wallet to my Atomic Wallet. Only about $90 was received by my Atomic wallet. When I click on the bitcoin transaction, the blockchain shows two outputs. The other output is a random bitcoin wallet address that I've never seen. When I google it, some people say it has something to do with "change address". How do I get this bitcoin returned, or sent to the Atomic wallet as initially attempted?

Here is the transaction number:
c1fe9a5e07b0e1663fbaac996f31465b05109b29c4b7b004842de40cf4f7e0d5

Thanks,
Anthony

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: Bitcoin Transaction Shows Two Outputs

Sun May 16, 2021 4:17 pm

Hello,

I sent 0.008917 bitcoin (about $450 US) from my Bitcoin wallet to my Atomic Wallet. Only about $90 was received by my Atomic wallet. When I click on the bitcoin transaction, the blockchain shows two outputs. The other output is a random bitcoin wallet address that I've never seen. When I google it, some people say it has something to do with "change address". How do I get this bitcoin returned, or sent to the Atomic wallet as initially attempted?

Here is the transaction number:
c1fe9a5e07b0e1663fbaac996f31465b05109b29c4b7b004842de40cf4f7e0d5

Thanks,
Anthony
hey Anthony,

The change is normally sent back to an address (change address) which belongs to your wallet (or the wallet that you sent the transaction from).

There is software which can be used to insert any address you want to be used for the change. Also a transaction can be built manually and any address(es) can used by the person building the transaction. I doubt those scenarios are applicable to your scenario, just adding them here for anyone who is interested in the information.

Anyways, when sending a bitcoin transaction it's not possible to send just the amount you want to send (unless that amount happens to be the same amount as a transaction (or input) your wallet received (and still has), or several inputs combined). So usually you are sending an input(s) which contains more bitcoin than you intended to send. The difference (or the change) is sent back to your wallet (or a change address which normally belongs to your wallet).

Sounds like the change is not displaying in your wallet app. Probably just need to refresh the wallet (sync it or whatever your app calls it) or maybe generate some unused addresses (if your wallet gives the user access to change addresses you should generate more of those too). The change should eventually display as part of your balance. If not, you may need to import your mnemonic seed (word phrase) or private keys into a different app (be careful, exercise due diligence before trusting just any app).

Also sounds like maybe (?) the address sent to and the change address got switched? You state that you sent about $450 USD of BTC to an address but it only received about $90 USD (and the change is about $370 USD or so)? Since the USD market price of BTC hasn't been quite that volatile lately that doesn't seem right. I have read reports of that scenario (app switching around the addressed sending to and the change address) happening a few times (not very common though, more often it's not that but rather a user error or misunderstanding).

First thing you should probably consider doing is contacting your wallet app's support team or read their support FAQ articles.

Most likely it's a balance display issue (and no real issue with your bitcoins which exist only on the blockchain as all bitcoin do).

Which app and version number number of that app are you using? Is it the Bitcoin.com wallet app?

Return to “Technical Support”