lasitter

Bitcoin mining practical at home today?

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Newbie here: I know that with the introduction of ASICs, much has changed in the way that bitcoin are mined. I also know that financial constraints, like the cost of electricity, and the cost of new vs used equipment, etc., are constantly moving the needle in production calculations. But I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I can take advantage of in my own situation that might argue in favor of giving this a try.

Here are just two factors that I'm trying to consider: I have solar panels that I own, and they generate some excess free electricity. Second: I spend half the year burning natural gas to heat the house. I'm wondering if it would make sense to let the waste heat of the ASICs do that for me.

Running the ASICs with free electricity and then heating the house with them. There's bound to be a few web-calculators around here that could take typical equipment and educated guesses about the bitcoin that equipment might generate and let me know whether, at the end of it all, I'd end up with more than enough to cover the cost of a box of donuts.

Return to “Exchanges”