TwistyRiver

How to install Linux Bitcoin Cash wallet?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:11 am

Hi, I am relatively new to Linux but have managed to always get programs installed, until now. I can't find any useful info on how to install the Linux Bitcoin.com wallet. I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: How to install Linux Bitcoin Cash wallet?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:46 am

Hi, I am relatively new to Linux but have managed to always get programs installed, until now. I can't find any useful info on how to install the Linux Bitcoin.com wallet. I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
Hi Twisty,

You might have to install some dependencies first but aside from that please see the following:

1. Download the tar file from either of these locations:

bitcoin.com/bitcoinwalletreleases/

github.com/Bitcoin-com/Wallet/releases/

2. Now unpack the file by doing the following:

Open a terminal (how to do that depends on which Linux distro or what else you have installed, but maybe just ctrl alt T).

Navigate to the location on your hard drive where the the file was downloaded (cd for changing directories, ls enter for listing segments).

Example:

Open terminal.

Code: Select all

ls

cd Downloads

ls
3. You can probably now see the file, among others, that you downloaded. Now you need to unpack it by typing tar -xvzf before typing the file name and then enter. Example:

tar -xvzf bitcoin.com-wallet-5.0-hotfix1-linux-x64.tar.gz
Now navigate to bitcoin-com-wallet and enter and then ls enter:

cd bitcoin-com-wallet

ls
4. You should now see, among several other files, a file named Bitcoin.com (please keep in mind that the name could change in new versions, but should be something similar although it could even consist of spaces such as Bitcoin.com wallet, if that is ever the case you can try putting a backslash after the first word or there are other methods). In any event, to run the file you need to type a dot forward slash ./ before the file name and then enter. Example:

./Bitcoin.com
The Bitcoin.com wallet application should now start to open and automatically create wallets.

If not, you may need to give your username permission to run files. Or you might need to install some dependencies. You'll probably see the problem in the terminal. If you encounter something like that please feel free to report back here and provide those details and then we (or anyone reading here) can maybe provide more advice.

TwistyRiver

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:48 am

Got it. Thanks!

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:47 am

UPDATE: Anyone wishing to download the Bitcoin.com wallet for Linux should use version 5.13 RC4 at https://github.com/bitcoin-portal/bitcoin-wallet-releases/releases

You can download at https://github.com/bitcoin-portal/bitcoin-wallet-releases/releases/download/5.13-RC4/bitcoin.com-wallet-5.13-rc4-linux-x64.tar.gz

Return to “Wallet”