rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Monero Price Speculation Thread

Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:47 pm

Wow! What a wild ride for Monero over the last few days!
It just broke $8 earlier today, and this morning it was only $4!
This feels a lot like Bitcoin did back in 2011!
I'm glad to be along for the ride this time too!

Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

lethos3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Monero Price Speculation Thread

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:08 pm

Last edited by lethos3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:15 pm

Where do most people watch the Monero price and trades?

I've just been using https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_xmr
topic7039.html

lethos3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:30 pm

Last edited by lethos3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

needmoney90

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Poloniex still the main XMR exchange, I use https://cryptowat.ch/poloniex/xmrbtc but its basically like watching polo.

There is also #monero-markets on freenode where some discuss price movements. We also have Slack channels that relay from the IRC and telegram channels, anyone wishing to join just PM needmoney90.
I had no account here, just made it. Shoot me a PM with your email here, or to the same username on Reddit, and I'll get you on our Slack.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:54 pm

I had no account here, just made it. Shoot me a PM with your email here, or to the same username on Reddit, and I'll get you on our Slack.
Thanks for joining the forum here!
I'll see if I can make some time for Slack in the near future.

Since this is a price speculation thread, here are my thoughts at 2AM on a Monday morning in Tokyo.

From what I have read so far, Monero has MUCH better privacy than Bitcoin at the moment, and its scalability is comparable to Bitcoin's.
At the very least Monero has much much more room to grow before it starts bumping into any scaling issues. (Bitcoin has already hit its scaling limit for the moment with the current dev team. Not for technical reasons, but for social ones)

Anyhow, as I write this, the market cap is about $100M USD, but there is very little real business being done in Monero yet, so nearly all of that value is speculation. (My own included)
Supposedly next month some Dark Net markets will start using Monero.
The new Exodus GUI wallet is coming out soon.
Shapeshift.io already supports Monero.
I suspect that the more traction Shapeshift gets, the more traction Monero will get along with it.

A $500M to $1B USD market cap for Monero in the next few months doesn't seem unreasonable with these things going on.
Price increases will drive further development of services using Monero, that will lead to further price increases.
It will be a self fulfilling cycle until we bump up against scaling issues.

So my wild guess: $500M to $1B USD market cap by the end of the year, even with very few actual use cases at the moment.

What do other people think?
topic7039.html

teek

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:35 pm

A $500M to $1B USD market cap for Monero in the next few months doesn't seem unreasonable with these things going on.
Price increases will drive further development of services using Monero, that will lead to further price increases.
It will be a self fulfilling cycle until we bump up against scaling issues.

So my wild guess: $500M to $1B USD market cap by the end of the year, even with very few actual use cases at the moment.

I think this is not as far fetched as some people may be thinking at this moment. I was thinking that number last week before this latest round of madness started.

There are very few crypto's with any actual use. We know that ETH is very powerful, but is it even really "used" yet? Well, we saw the DAO and we know how that turned out. (Hi ETC :o ) I am sure there are a bunch of proof of concept's running on ETH but i think it got to where it is basically on speculation alone, and a great deal of the speculators have really no idea how to leverage it, they are waiting on the benevolent dictator to lead the way and basically riding the hype train.

There has been very little hype around xmr until very recently, but the difference is that xmr is not a swiss army knife, it does one thing really well, it's a fungible currency, and that's all it needs to be. Any "hype" surrounding that is legitimate, and all you need to do is spend an afternoon (or maybe a few days) and really wrap your head around it and put your hands on it to see it for what it is. The same thing many of us did with bitcoin years ago, it was always easy for us to see bitcoins immediate value proposition, even when it wasn't so clear for some of us in the early days. Sure bitcoin is more than just a currency, but most people really need to think outside the box to see it as other things. That's the reason i think why alot of it's other use cases haven't really took off (yet, and why eth will be slow to as well). XMR isn't really as much of a brain exercise, once you wrap your head around it, it just is what it is, and what it is is very valuable, and can be used _today_ and looks like it's actually _going_ to be used today. That to me says even now it's undervalued. I also see it's property as a store of value to be very strong, which begs the question, unless your intention is to completely remove your capital from the crypto world, why sell?

Architect

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:09 pm

My belief is that XMR could reach anywhere between 0.2 and 2 BTC by the end of this year.
The demand will be extremely high (due to AlphaBay, Oasis & other DNMs) and the supply is relatively low.

This could be insane, as some of these people that are about to buy in are going to be spending 100s or 1000s of BTC at a time.

I also recommend investing in XMR's little brother - AEON.

TommyEconomics

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:18 pm

Hey Roger, taking a look at the big picture, as I posted on my twitter, we are seeing a shift from Bitcoin to "Altcoins." You'll notice this by looking at Bitcoin's # of transactions per day. I used to think we would be knocking hard on the ceiling, thus forcing a hard fork, but now it's apparent to me that rather than fight the limit, a lot of users (and their money), are simply flowing to altcoins. I think, and hope, that Bitcoin will have a hard fork--- but right now, the money is strongly flowing to Altcoins, we are seeing this right now in Monero.

As far as price projections, one thing to note is the insane volume that is occurring in Monero right now. With currently $44M in 24h volume, we are hitting the levels of volume that carried Ethereum to a $1 billion+ market cap. Monero has an amazing "killer application" serving as the most functionally anonymous cryptocurrency with 4k+ users (in which more users are very important for it's mixing to be effective). Dark markets have sales of around $1-5 billion per year, and many of these markets may chose to keep their earnings in Monero, thus I see a bright future for Monero.

I agree with you that $1B+ market cap is very reachable, it's hard to say exactly when, it depends on the market temperament, but currently, the market is very bullish. I made a video on Monero a few days ago, it is well received and hopefully informative to you, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rwvcsA760E

Best,
Tommy
Last edited by TommyEconomics on Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

teek

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:20 pm

My belief is that XMR could reach anywhere between 0.2 and 2 BTC by the end of this year.
A real break of 0.05 and all hell would break loose.. into unprecedented territory..

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:20 pm

A real break of 0.05 and all hell would break loose.. into unprecedented territory..
Expect .01 to be tested before Monero rises to .05. Bitcoin has had wild swings why should Monero be any different?

TommyEconomics

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Expect .01 to be tested before Monero rises to .05. Bitcoin has had wild swings why should Monero be any different?
I don't know about that. With the buying pressure the way it is right now, it would be very hard to see .01 ($44 million of volume on a $105 million market cap, with the market pushing upward).

Of course if market temperament changes you could be right, but as it is right now, it's very difficult to see it going down to .01 (perhaps unless an enormous whale dumps, which is unlikely).

As far as comparing to Bitcoin, Bitcoin doesn't have near this level of volume relative to its market cap, a decent comparison perhaps would be comparing Monero right now to Bitcoin in Nov 2013 (though as you can see the action in Monero now is way stronger than Bitcoin's action then).

Dafar

Donate BTC of your choice to 1ERqXXePLr156VrtndFMbCi6k2CYewstyb

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:33 pm

I don't know about that. With the buying pressure the way it is right now, it would be very hard to see .01 ($44 million of volume on a $105 million market cap, with the market pushing upward).

Of course if market temperament changes you could be right, but as it is right now, it's very difficult to see it going down to .01 (perhaps unless an enormous whale dumps, which is unlikely).

As far as comparing to Bitcoin, Bitcoin doesn't have near this level of volume relative to its market cap, a decent comparison perhaps would be comparing Monero right now to Bitcoin in Nov 2013 (though as you can see the action in Monero now is way stronger than Bitcoin's action then).

I see this volume shift happen quite often-- the times when most action is seen in the alt coin space while bitcoin stays quite, and after the alts calm down bitcoin gains the headlights again. And I'm usually left thingking... why the f*ck did I exchange my precious bitcoin to an alt that I jumped into over hype! There's always a hot new alt (ltc, vert, flux, drk, eth) , but the end of the day these alt coins end up becoming shitcoins and bitcoin remains bitcoin.

Although, I agree with mr. ver's price speculation.. I could see $500M market cap happening over the next few months. This is an alt that will actually be used and the DNM is a great place to start. Once the DNMs start using XMR and once it gains traction is there any reason for them to use BTC? I doesn't seem like it. So for that I put in 10% of my btc stash at 0.009 and 0.0140... hope I don't regret it, but right now I don't see why 0.02 and 0.03 won't be achievable this year. I find it worse when I see an opportunity, don't take the risk and regretting it over taking a risk and losing

Myagui
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 16nJr2opbr33meV8TgHTK4xZYaDQwrPmdh

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:08 am

[...]

I see $500M as somewhat inevitable, assuming the current course (I am certainly biased though).
The top of my speculation scale, I'd move north of $1B USD market cap, perhaps $2B, mostly because I would expect that there's a strong psychological effect coming into play if Monero approaches Eth's market cap and if it shows consistent/regular volume to crown it the 2nd spot (with Bitcoin still sitting right at the top).

In my mind, that 2nd spot is only possible if indeed there is actual usage. I don't see that speculation alone could drive Monero into such a market cap (of $1B+ USD). Usage is certainly within reach now, so let's see. 8-)
freebitcoin < For Satoshis & Dogecoins > freedogecoin

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:16 am

I couldn't be more happy with the resent Monero rise, i got in at 0.0074btc and looked at the price this morning with a smile on my face 0.0163btc at time of this post!

It often takes a price rise like this for people to start to look into some of these alt coins and i like what i see with Monero but it's needs a full time dev team behind it, a project with a multi million dollar market cap should have a solid team behind it working full time.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:09 am

We also should be aware that even though Monero has been around for a couple of years, it hasn't been heavily tested with actual users yet.
It would only take one thing to go wrong technically for most, or all of the market cap to disappear.
The recent rocketship price ride is likely to attract more media attention that will in turn drive more speculators.
I just got word that Bloomberg is doing an article on Monero today as well.
It should be a fun ride no matter what.
topic7039.html

Spanx

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:06 am

Poloniex still the main XMR exchange, I use https://cryptowat.ch/poloniex/xmrbtc but its basically like watching polo.

There is also #monero-markets on freenode where some discuss price movements. We also have Slack channels that relay from the IRC and telegram channels, anyone wishing to join just PM needmoney90.
Van you add me to Slack please? Username reddit is spanx20 email at Gmail.com

needmoney90

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:37 am

Van you add me to Slack please? Username reddit is spanx20 email at Gmail.com
Sent

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:16 pm

More good press for Monero from Bitcoin.com no less: https://news.bitcoin.com/monero-rising- ... ts-matter/

I wonder if first Ethereum, and now Monero gaining traction will make the Bitcoin small blockers realize that Bitcoin is far from guaranteed of having the top spot in the crypto universe.

Looks like we also made it into Bloomberg too! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... re-secrecy
topic7039.html

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Bitcoin has been running so half assed under the current team of for profit developers, it's no wonder blockchains such as Monero gain traction so quickly.

I am for as many markets and businesses we can have, cheers to all :) :) :)

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

lethos3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Last edited by lethos3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:06 pm

People tend to forget in the pump euphoria that this is fueled by speculative fever. There is no guarantee that people who use darknet markets will even use Monero. I have never seen a speculative bubble not have a fifty percent (or more) correction. If Monero makes a new all time high without a correction to .01 - .012 it would be a first. My point is be on the lookout for bargain prices. No reason Monero to be immune to flash crashes just like Bitcoin.
Last edited by BitcoinNewsMagazine on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dafar

Donate BTC of your choice to 1ERqXXePLr156VrtndFMbCi6k2CYewstyb

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 pm

More good press for Monero from Bitcoin.com no less: https://news.bitcoin.com/monero-rising- ... ts-matter/

Looks like we also made it into Bloomberg too! http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... re-secrecy
We? You all pro-monero and anti-bitcoin now? :o

People tend to forget in the pump euphoria that this is fueled by speculative fever. There is no guarantee that people who use darknet markets will even use Monero. I have never seen a speculative bubble not have a fifty percent (or more) correction. If Monero makes a new all time high without a correction to .01 - .02 it would be a first. My point is be on the lookout for bargain prices. No reason Monero to be immune to flash crashes just like Bitcoin.
I agree, there will be a devastating crash, but until Sept 1st everyone is riding the hype train and whales will find it easier to manipulate the price up than try to reverse the trend.

.02 by Sept 1st is highly likely.... then people will realize that XMR isnt being used nearly as much as they hyped it up to be and then comes the flash crash / 50% retrace

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 pm

People tend to forget in the pump euphoria that this is fueled by speculative fever. There is no guarantee that people who use darknet markets will even use Monero. I have never seen a speculative bubble not have a fifty percent (or more) correction. If Monero makes a new all time high without a correction to .01 - .02 it would be a first. My point is be on the lookout for bargain prices. No reason Monero to be immune to flash crashes just like Bitcoin.
I agree, there will be a devastating crash, but until Sept 1st everyone is riding the hype train and whales will find it easier to manipulate the price up than try to reverse the trend.

.02 by Sept 1st is highly likely.... then people will realize that XMR isnt being used nearly as much as they hyped it up to be and then comes the flash crash / 50% retrace
Sorry for the typo original post corrected. I expect a correction to .01 to .012. It will be unexpected but traders will already have bids in to pick up cheap Monero. I do not see Monero advancing to .02 until long past Sept 1.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:17 am

I bought some Monero a few weeks ago specifically due to my frustration with Bitcoin not being allowed to scale.
I'm not anti-Bitcoin in any way, but the current team of Core developers don't seem to feel any urgency at all.
I suspect the management at Friendster and Myspace didn't feel any urgency either.
topic7039.html

Blazin8888
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Glad to now be a member here. Much better interface than Bitcointalk, they gave me a 14 day ban for posting too much on this subject. Have been watching for years. Roger I think now we are coming into a time where private money is more important than ever before.

http://www.newsbtc.com/2016/08/23/china ... -momentum/

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Bitc ... u-bans-ads

To me, its clear the advantages XMR has over BTC for day to day cash. One example I like as a non technical person, is the ability to have the option to remember a "seed phrase" in your memory or write it down and put it in a safe. Bitcoin only allows you to have a un-encrypted key file ready to be stolen. - I see BTC as a digital gold like asset. It was the first digital coin that sparked the "digital gold rush"...in some way. With XMR I also have the option of using a .keys file however if it is stolen, the file is encrypted! I see these minor things as great benefits for a cash system. There are other great benefits to XMR as well. I dont think we need to necessarily choose one system over the other or one will die. I think both will complement each other in some way.

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:40 pm

Glad to now be a member here. Much better interface than Bitcointalk, they gave me a 14 day ban for posting too much on this subject. Have been watching for years. Roger I think now we are coming into a time where private money is more important than ever before.

http://www.newsbtc.com/2016/08/23/china ... -momentum/

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/AC/Bitc ... u-bans-ads

To me, its clear the advantages XMR has over BTC for day to day cash. One example I like as a non technical person, is the ability to have the option to remember a "seed phrase" in your memory or write it down and put it in a safe. Bitcoin only allows you to have a un-encrypted key file ready to be stolen. - I see BTC as a digital gold like asset. It was the first digital coin that sparked the "digital gold rush"...in some way. With XMR I also have the option of using a .keys file however if it is stolen, the file is encrypted! I see these minor things as great benefits for a cash system. There are other great benefits to XMR as well. I dont think we need to necessarily choose one system over the other or one will die. I think both will complement each other in some way.
Bitcoin will survive, I am sure of it :)

As to investors looking to make a profit, buy a small amount of each promising crypto-currency that hits the market, similar to buying volatile stocks.

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Monero has been on a Rollercoaster the last couple of weeks and it's been exciting, reminds me of bitcoin in 2013.

Only problem with Monero catching on is that it seems a little more technical to use compared to bitcoin.

Blockchain can take a while to get used to and cold storage is still a mystery to me.
Anyone know of the best way to hold monero and offline if possible?

Need a few more android wallets too but I'm sure they will on the way soon if the adoption picks up.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

lethos3
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:38 pm

Last edited by lethos3 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Wow, 11K views on this thread, way to go Monero!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Monero”