LivinFast850

Rookie - First Build GPU Selection Help.

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:12 am

I talked my wife in to letting me get my first build going. I have never built a computer and am not tech savvy at all. With hundreds of hours logged watching YouTube and reading build threads I managed to select all of my other goodies (motherboard, CPU, PSU, etc). Then I changed my mind last minute before ordering the GPUs and started doing more research, which has left me even more confused.
Now, with that said, I'm not looking to go over the top. I'm shooting for a decent, expandable, half way budget build. Final goal is a 6 GPU rig. I've got enough in my account to order 1 - 3 GPUs and then the rest on the first of the month. I have been looking at the following and have seen builds with them all. And if there is anything you recommend that may be a bit more pricey, but would be worth it. Please let me know and in lame terms explain to me why lol.

XFX AMD RADEON RX 580 8GB - est $220
(I had these in my cart and then saw reviews about failing after 3 months). But they listed 1386 MHz. OC+

ZOTAC GAMING GEDORCE GTX 1660 AMP 6GB - est $240
(These were listed at boost clock1845 MHz) and I still can't figure out exactly what boost clock means over regular clock speed.

MSI GEFORCE GTX 1660 TI 6GB - est $280
(These were listed at boost clock 1830 MHz)

MSI GEFORCE GTX 1070 TI 8GB - est $350 - $500
(These were listed at boost clock 1683 MHz) Which is less than the previous 2 that I listed. So why are they twice the price?

As I stated, I'm ready to purchase these right now and am itching to get my rig on the road. If there is something I don't understand about why the 1070 is twice the price with less MHz please let me know. I could go with them if it is SERIOUSLY worth it, but could only purchase one at a time at that price point.

Sorry for the long winded post. Still trying to learn this new world. I appreciate all help given! Thank you!

Return to “Mining hardware”