What is your ideal level of decentralization for Bitcoin

1,000,000 people running full nodes in their own homes, with 1,000,000 independent people using bitcoin (about a small city worth of people)
No votes
10,000 full nodes running independently, but with 100,000,000 people using bitcoin (about the size of a G20 country)
83%
10 full nodes running, everyone on the planet using bitcoin
17%

Total votes: 12
rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

What is your ideal level of decentralization for Bitcoin?

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Special thanks to Jerry David's article for inspiring me to make this poll.
To me, it seems very clear that Bitcoin isn't very interesting if only a small number of people are using it, but we don't need 100% of the users to be running full nodes either.
I want to build a currency that rivals the Dollar, the Euro, and the Yen.
To do that, it's clear that not everyone can be required to run a full node on a Raspberry Pi or their cell phone.
I think a $1000 computing device is a low enough hurdle to be expected to be required to run a full node.
What do you think, and why?
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Re: What is your ideal level of decentralization for Bitcoin?

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Special thanks to Jerry David's article for inspiring me to make this poll.
To me, it seems very clear that Bitcoin isn't very interesting if only a small number of people are using it, but we don't need 100% of the users to be running full nodes either.
I want to build a currency that rivals the Dollar, the Euro, and the Yen.
To do that, it's clear that not everyone can be required to run a full node on a Raspberry Pi or their cell phone.
I think a $1000 computing device is a low enough hurdle to be expected to be required to run a full node.
What do you think, and why?
If you are a business that processes Bitcoin, it is in your best interest to run a node.

How I see this is similar to leasing payment gateway hardware, although much cheaper. This is also how I explain it to clients and I've never had a complaint.

In a high-risk business, I was losing on average $5,000 US a day from chargebacks. Banks were charging a fee of $60 to $90 on-top of the chargeback amount.

With Bitcoin, that loss is zero.

Bitcoin rivals any merchant bank credit card processing system I have ever used ;)

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

freetrader
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:20 pm

In an ideal world I wouldn't have to worry about running a node and the expenses that come with it.
So I'm in the 'go big or go home' camp.
But Bitcoin has a journey to get there - it must walk before it can run.
So we had better all run nodes and not just think the other guy is going to do it so we don't have to!
I am hopeful we could see 10,000 nodes within a year if Bitcoin is unchained from its current small-block shackles.

JalToorey
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am

im censored from participating in r/btc, but I'd like to ask what you mean by a currency that rivals the other majors fiats. Please be explicate. What I mean is give me every angle you are thinking about because I am quite interested in what the means to you other than just a blanket answer such as "More people use it" or "it has more utility".

Thx!

The reason I ask is because I think that there are implications in regard to what a currency must have in order to rival these other currencies, but also depending on what categories we are trying to beat fiat in.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:07 am

No body is censored from participating in /r/BTC
I would like to see more people using Bitcoin, for more transactions, than people using USD, Euros, or Yen.
I would like to see more people's wealth stored in Bitcoin, than in USD, Euros, or Yen.

We have a long way to go, but this is not an impossible task.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:54 pm

No body is censored from participating in /r/BTC
I would like to see more people using Bitcoin, for more transactions, than people using USD, Euros, or Yen.
I would like to see more people's wealth stored in Bitcoin, than in USD, Euros, or Yen.

We have a long way to go, but this is not an impossible task.
Time and patience!

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”