ObeKelly

With Coinbase but want to get out

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:39 am

I've purchased bitcoin with Coinbase before the big surge, but without realising at the start, I can't sell funds from Coinbase. Should I wait until that happens (maybe it might never happen) or transfer to a company in Australia. If transfer how do I do it. New user here any have no idea.

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: With Coinbase but want to get out

Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 am

I've purchased bitcoin with Coinbase before the big surge, but without realising at the start, I can't sell funds from Coinbase. Should I wait until that happens (maybe it might never happen) or transfer to a company in Australia. If transfer how do I do it. New user here any have no idea.
Hi, ObeKelly,

You indicate that you cannot sell BTC in your Coinbase account.

This is likely because one typically needs a bank account within the US. Moreover, I believe that Coinbase does business with mostly (if not exclusively) with US citizens.

However, if you have a BTC balance in your Coinbase account should be able to "send" bitcoin. If so you can send to any BTC address which want to send to. You may also open an account at an Australian exchange (a fiat-crypto exchange) such as, though not limited to, Coinjar (https://www.coinjar.com/) and then send you BTC (from your Coincase account) to your new BTC receiving address at, e.g., Coinjar.

Please let us know if we can answer any other questions which you may have.

Thank you.

CryptoBlackHat
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1KgArSAMeFSgiVppCr4yCdqkNVaCieRAUX

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 pm

You're right, Coinbase doesn't allow Australian users to sell. It's a strange situation - most other countries in the world where Coinbase allows buying are also allowed to sell.

I would recommend using either Coinjar or BTC Markets, both of which serve Australian users and allow you to withdraw AUD. There are other bigger companies too (like Kraken or CEX.IO) but they don't usually support AUD so even though they allow you to withdraw by bank transfer you would suffer the currency conversion from USD or EUR to AUD.

As nandibear mentioned, after you open an account and confirm your ID at either of these sites, you can then transfer BTC from Coinbase to the other exchange.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:30 am

I can personally vouch that Coinjar has been a great service to me, they are an online wallet so this is not to say it is safe to store coins with them as you should never store BTC online but they have been good to purchase BTC from and also handy with the debit card service they offer.

All i do is transfer cash to the account when i want to purchase some bitcoins then as soon as they have cleared in my Coinjar wallet i move then straight to my cold storage and spend from there, never store coins online.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

swyftx

Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:20 am

Hi ObeKelly,

Seeing as you are based in Australia i would suggest moving your coins over to an Australian based platform, at least while Coinbase doesn't have this feature. Seeing as the crypto market can often be "uncertain" it's important to be somewhere where you can sell if you need to. If you are interested in weighing up your options i would suggest checking us out http://swyftx.com.au/ we offer some of the lowest fees and best prices in Australia.

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Just withdraw from Coinbase to your bank account.
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

BellamodaCrypto

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:41 am

Get an account on Huobi Australia and transfer your Bitcoins there. You can withdraw them into an Australia account or trade them within the platform. Check it out!

www.huobi.com.au

There is also an invitation code for you to get $10 AUD upon registration.
huobi.png

alwaystogether5
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:44 pm

I personally believe there are many good exchanges, which may serve as an alternative to Coinbase, just read this http://entreresource.com/coinbase-alternatives/ . All you need is to do your own research and choose the one that will fit your needs most of all. Good luck!

Demebaqy

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:17 am

Telling you what we think about doesn't help you at all. You can get some relax on :arrow: sexbrisbane What do YOU think? :D

Return to “Australia”