MarkDunne

Bitcoin Wallet Tool: Decrypt Help Needed

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:54 am

I am using the wallet.tool (https://github.com/bitcoin-wallet/bitco ... recover.md) on Ubuntu (novice user) to try to decrypt and access (dump) my private keys on a wallet called the UltraCoin Client, which was developed in 2014 by Reggie Middleton's crew as a trading / smart-contract platform. It is a wallet based on the the bitcoinj architecture but doesn't have the option to print the private keys. The private keys are encrypted and I have no other way to access/read them. The wallet information is stored in a com.google.bitcoin.params.MainNetParams.wallet file which, on Windows, is located in %AppData%/UltraCoin Client/ .

When I try to execute the decrypt command (as per the readme, linked above); "openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -md md5 -a -in bitcoin-wallet-backup-testnet-2014-11-01 > bitcoin-wallet-decrypted-backup" it fails as the "bitcoin-wallet-backup-testnet-2014-11-01" doesn't exist on my computer. Can I amend some of the command to suit my com.google... file and if so how, exactly, what do I amend?

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Re: Bitcoin Wallet Tool: Decrypt Help Needed

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:18 pm

I am using the wallet.tool (https://github.com/bitcoin-wallet/bitco ... recover.md) on Ubuntu (novice user) to try to decrypt and access (dump) my private keys on a wallet called the UltraCoin Client, which was developed in 2014 by Reggie Middleton's crew as a trading / smart-contract platform. It is a wallet based on the the bitcoinj architecture but doesn't have the option to print the private keys. The private keys are encrypted and I have no other way to access/read them. The wallet information is stored in a com.google.bitcoin.params.MainNetParams.wallet file which, on Windows, is located in %AppData%/UltraCoin Client/ .

When I try to execute the decrypt command (as per the readme, linked above); "openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -md md5 -a -in bitcoin-wallet-backup-testnet-2014-11-01 > bitcoin-wallet-decrypted-backup" it fails as the "bitcoin-wallet-backup-testnet-2014-11-01" doesn't exist on my computer. Can I amend some of the command to suit my com.google... file and if so how, exactly, what do I amend?
Hi Mark,

1. In the terminal have you navigated to the directory were that file is located? If not, please try that and then try to decrypt. You might not be in the correct directory (the file wont exist because it's really not there). Also, you could maybe just use the full path to the file (/some-directory/some-directory/some-directory/some-directory/bitcoin-wallet-backup-testnet-2014-11-01) in terminal as the name for the the file in

2. Also, are you sure that's really the name of the file? And is it really really a file for the testnet?

3. Also, did the 'readme' really use "-md md5" or did you add that yourself from something you read elsewhere?

4. You might also be able to open the file (with a notepad) and then just copy and paste the encrypted private keys into a terminal and then decrypt them. Something (or similar) like:

echo [here paste in the encrypted content]|openssl enc -d -aes-256-cbc -md md5 -a

Return to “Development & Technical Discussion”