rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Bitcoin.com now has a Warrant Canary page!

Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Bitcoin.com now has a Warrant Canary page.
Current text of the warrant canary page:

Since our beginnings in 2015, Saint Bitts LLC, Bitcoin.com, and all related subdomains, have received and complied with 0 (zero) government demands for information. If this notice disappears from our website, it will mean that we have been served with some sort of legal demand that requires our secrecy. Discussion of this canary notice is taking place on our forum.

I think it is important for all bitcoin related companies to have one of these.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

https://twitter.com/BTCTN/status/651035216090259456
Last edited by rogerver on Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

keonne
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Bitcoin.com now has a Canary Warrant page!

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Great idea Roger. I hope more companies and services in this industry follow the lead and do the same.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:33 pm

I hope more companies and services in this industry follow the lead and do the same.
I hope so too.

In fact, I think we should start compiling a list to put pressure on others to do the same.

Let's get it started:

Bitcoin companies with Canary Warrants:
Bitcoin.com (Saint Bitts LLC)
coinfire.io
Samourai Wallet
Bitcoinx.io
Fintechinc.io
Thirdkey Solutions

Unknown:
21 Inc (21e6)
Abra
Airbitz
AlphaPoint
Anycoin Direct
Armory Technologies
Ascribe
Avalon Clones
Bex.io / Spawngrid
Bitbond
Bitex.la
BitFlyer
BitFury
BitGo
BitGold
BitLendingClub
Bitnet
BitPagos
BitPay
BitPesa
Bitreserve
BitSim
Bitstamp
Bitt
BitX
Blockchain
BlockCypher
BlockScore
Blockstream
BlockTrail
Bonafide (Bonifide.io)
BTC China (Shanghai Satuxi Network)
BTC.sx
Buttercoin
Case
Chain
Challenger Deep
ChangeTip
Ciphrex
Circle Internet Financial
Coinalytics
Coinapult
Coinbase
COINFIRMA
Coinfloor
Coinify*
Coinigy
CoinJar Pty
CoinOutlet
Coinplug
CoinPlus
Coinsetter
CoinSimple
Colu
Cryex
Cryptopay
Devign Lab
DigiByte 
Digital Currencies FinTech
Dogetipbot
Elliptic
Exchange of the Americas (meXBT)
Expresscoin
Filament
Gem
GetGems
Gliph
GoCoin
GogoCoin
HashPlex
HashRabbit
Hedgy
Hive
Huobi
itBit
KnCMiner
Koinify
Korbit
Ledger
LibertyX
Libra
Melotic
Mirror
Monetsu
NeuCoin
Neuroware
OKCoin
OneName
OpenBazaar
Paymium
PayStand
Payward, Inc. (Kraken)
PeerNova
Pey
Purse.io
Reveal
Ripple Labs
Safe Cash Payment Technologies
Safello
Satoshi Citadel Industries Inc.
ShapeShift
ShoCard
SNAPCARD
SolidX
Spondoolies-Tech
Swarm
Symbiont
TabTrader
Tangible Cryptography (BitSimple)
Tembusu
TradeBlock
TradeHill
Trustatom
Unocoin
Vaurum
Vogogo
Volabit
Xapo
Ziftr
Last edited by rogerver on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
topic7039.html

coinableS
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1J9ikqFuwrzPbczsDkquA9uVYeq6dEehsj

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:46 pm

I always thought these were kind of cool. Good idea on adding one for the forum ;)

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:57 pm

This is fantastic, i love it!
I cant think of a case in resent history where a canary has beeen used as a early warning system.

Canary Warrants. :o
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:09 pm

I've always been a fan of sites that do this. Great job, and please keep the page updated! Also, not sure if you want to PGP sign the message on the page or not?

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:16 pm

I've always been a fan of sites that do this. Great job, and please keep the page updated! Also, not sure if you want to PGP sign the message on the page or not?
I was thinking about doing something like that too.
A lawyer said that a government may just try to force you to leave the existing canary up, so my thought was to PGP sign it with a date, and stating it will be updated every January.

There will be no way for anyone to fake an update.

I'd love to have additional thoughts or input on this idea.
topic7039.html

Tomtruitt

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:10 pm

I was thinking about doing something like that too.
A lawyer said that a government may just try to force you to leave the existing canary up, so my thought was to PGP sign it with a date, and stating it will be updated every January.

There will be no way for anyone to fake an update.

I'd love to have additional thoughts or input on this idea.
Forgive my ignorance butb can't whoever the authority is enforce that you must keep signing it in order to not break confidentiality?

JuanSGalt

Donate BTC of your choice to 1KKGLWi9JcGiPzB4YqNSshjbmXiXJQuT7H

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:27 pm

I was thinking about this recently, since a dev from one of the communities I hang around vanished without warning and we know nothing about him or how to contact him, scary stuff.

While the above is a good start, the problem of course is that this whole approach is centralized.

If you got a gag order attached to one of those NSA letters, then you'd be obliged by law to no make your compliance public (incredible nasty legal power).

Does taking down the above page count as making x public? that's a legal question.

The second problem is that it would require active change from the forum admins to add a 1 in place of the 0, where it says how many requests have come in.

One way I was thinking of doing it, is to use a time lock smart contract.

I don't know with Bitcoin, but I can imagine a not too complicated mechanism possible with NXT, and certainly with Ethereum, where you write a text post, or maybe some kind of script which would change the canary text.

Then you put that into a time lock transaction, where it will be executed in a month, unless you send a transaction to it to cancel it. Then before the 30th day, you send the tx, cancel the contract and publish a new one, this process of reissuing of the contract could be automated.

Bitcoin's multisig might be enough for this, NXT would require use of 'account approval' tech I suspect that may work. or just using Etherum.

With NXT, the message could be sent to a explicit set of addresses, so only the exact people you want to know a given piece of information after you've been silent for a month (or after you've let the canary alarm go off) would receive your message. That could include the website which might have a script to post the content of that message on a website.

The above approach would be better suited to people going MIA, but still would solve the above problem in a more complicated , cooler and yes, decentralized way. :P

Still that might not be immune to the legal definitions of 'contempt'.

As far as coding this thing? I'm a visionary, much more then an engineer. :D

SamouraiWallet

Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Great initiative!

Samourai Wallet has followed suit and added a warrant canary page. In the next build of our wallet (currently in Alpha testing) we will also add a "Canary Check" that will alert the user if the warrant canary page has been changed or removed.

Do you think you can update the list?

http://samouraiwallet.com/canary
https://twitter.com/SamouraiWallet/stat ... 4066907136

Thanks!

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Do you think you can update the list? !
Done!

Thanks for helping show the way!
topic7039.html

hellobitcoinworld
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:31 pm

What a Canary Warrant is

I had never known about this and I think it's pretty clever now that I do!

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Do you think you can update the list? !
Done!

Thanks for helping show the way!
Hey Roger, please add us to the list as well! http://bitcoinx.io/canary/

CoyoteOfWallSt
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1FWoVrYgmD7wNcEJNHQzu9126ckQfqouT5

Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Bitcoin.com now has a Canary Warrant page.

Since our beginnings in 2015, Saint Bitts LLC, Bitcoin.com, and all related subdomains, have received and complied with 0 (zero) government demands for information. If this notice disappears from our website, it will mean that we have been served with some sort of legal demand that requires our secrecy. Discussion of this canary notice is taking place on our forum.

Hey Roger, really great idea. We just posted the official http://www.FINTECHinc.io Canary Warrant on our front page while the site is being developed. What would be cool if we had someone from the community to create a CW button like the security add on's web hosts offer. More of a security thing creating comfort for those who wish to know their in good hands? IDK just a thought? Also don't forget to include us in the updated list! TY bud
Last edited by CoyoteOfWallSt on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheCanary
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1CanarybHFS7JtS3L11awKSyFsZ9S9RSnM

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm

Great idea! I love it :D
Bitmessage: BM-2cXEgkMbwADrcAimoRCeNg13AQSJQwhKck

box0214
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:33 pm

nice idea... where did it originate from? definitely clever. what else can be done to it?... maybe have a unique message on each user's account as a canary...

CoyoteOfWallSt
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Roger Ver Why Are You Treating Me Like Shit?

Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:27 am

Bitcoin.com now has a Canary Warrant page.

I guess ya gotta be on the inside circle to join this list huh buddy? As the days go by I see the biased behavior displayed by someone I respect. I'm losing much faith in you dude, your not Jesus so stick to the scrypt & treat everyone equal. This is the bullshit I put up with in crypto for the past two years. It's either equal or it dies you hear me man. I work my ass off for this community in many ways & was on this list prior to you updating that last wallet outfit only to be forgotten. If you got a problem with me Roger be a man & communicate. But your subliminal shit is not merited. We created a pic & all to stand behind your Canary Warrant idea not to be treated like shit. Come correct or shut the forum down because your not acting fair. Take it how you want it.
Last edited by CoyoteOfWallSt on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BitcoinXio
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Roger Ver Why Are You Treating Me Like Shit?

Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:07 am

I guess ya gotta be on the inside circle to join this list
I think Roger is sleeping, he is in Japan which is in a different timezone ;) I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that I'm sure he is extremely busy and will get to updating the list tomorrow probably. Don't worry about it too much bro.

CoyoteOfWallSt
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Roger Ver Why Are You Treating Me Like Shit?

Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:00 am

I guess ya gotta be on the inside circle to join this list
I think Roger is sleeping, he is in Japan which is in a different timezone ;) I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that I'm sure he is extremely busy and will get to updating the list tomorrow probably. Don't worry about it too much bro.
TY bud I appreciate your input. However, when I review the initial Canary Warrant list both known & unkown it saddens me to see almost 100% of the guys who pioneered alternative cryptocurrency not mentioned at all just the usual suspects with a little blend. The funny thing about crypto is there are classes, either you got into Bitcoin as an early adopter or got caught up in BTC 1K & the alt-coin boom.

There is a huge class divide between Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency. Roger's list proves the elite in our communities mindset.

With that said, the elite invested in ideas & the guys from the other side of the tracks built the mainstream popularity of cryptocurrency through countless hours of social marketing backed by sweat equity. The funny thing is 'not' Roger but many of the other BTC upper classmen gave our technology away to those it was created to protect against. We got a few pill heads with huge BTC wallets running our community blind as bats.

This block size event is a fucking joke no wonder the average person won't use Bitcoin? Who in their right mind would invest in a technology that the developments leadership is fighting like the cast of Real Housewives? Instability leads to a lack of investor confidence, Bitcoin needs to mature before we lose it. The self-satisfying natured need to kick rocks if we plan to survive. At this rate some financial institution with 10's of billions should just scrypt their own coin back it by a branded & trusted name ie: Citibank with a 100 year track record & piss on BTC's 3-4B MCAP? I seen it happen with the ETF market.

We lost our technology to big pockets can't anyone see it? We don't have enough capital as a community to compete with just '1' Wall Street Hedge Fund! Are all of these people fucking blind to finance 101? Yet everyone is an economist? Just because one knows crypto does not mean they understand the 'MECHANICS' of finance something I do real well. What the bagholders are looking for is an exit but it's gonna take billions in 'new' money to get there. SO HOW DO THE ELITE BAG THE SYSTEM? THEY DON'T.. KNOW WHY? THEY MOVED TOO FAST & GAVE THE SECRET AWAY. I DON'T NEED TO KNOW YOU IF I KNOW 'EVERYTHING' ABOUT YOU, LOOSE LIPS SANK OUR SHIP. IT IS GOING TO TAKE A WORLD OF EFFORT TO MAKE THIS WORK. THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD FOR BAGHOLDERS IS THE RICH LIST IT GIVES UP THEIR HANDS IN REAL-TIME WITH 100% TRANSPARENCY. TRUE WALL STREET TRADERS ARE GONNA POUNCE ON THE GEMINI IDIOTS MARK MY WORDS. THERE IS ALWAYS A PUMP BEFORE A DUMP... THIS IS A CAT & MOUSE GAME. IF ONE BAGHOLDER SELLS OFF IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE, 2 OR 3? BITCOIN IS ALT-COIN VALUE. THE WHALES ARE STUCK, THEY CANNOT SELL & GET GOOD EXIT VALUE ALL AT ONCE. SO THEY NEED TO DO THE OLD WALL STREET 2 STEP & CROSS IT OUT VIA GEMINI PER SE TO STABILIZE THE MARKET PRICE IN A FAIR & ORDERLY FASHION. WELCOME TO REGULATION!!!

~~~~~8 -- WHEN YOU ENTER 'REAL' WATERS, WITH 'REAL' WHALES PREPARE TO GET YOUR HEAD CRACKED! THE WINKLEVOSS TWINS BETTER PUT SOME HELMETS ON THOSE LONG ASS HEADS OF THEIRS ABOUT TO GET SPLIT TO THE WHITE MEAT FOR REAL. THE ONLY PERSON DOING BITCOIN/BLOCKCHAIN RIGHT IS PATRICK BYRNE OF OVERSTOCK WITH MEDICI A 'COMPETITOR' & 'DISRUPTOR' OF TRADITIONAL WALL STREET TRADING & SHAPESHIFT.IO AS STUCK UP AS ERIK VOORHEES IS THE GUY STICKS TO HIS BELIEFS & MORALS. MAYBE IF HE STOPPED HOLDING HIS NOSE WHILE UNDER WATER HIS BALLS WOULD DROP GIVING HIM SOME BASS IN HIS VOICE THE LIL' MICKEY MOUSE SOUNDING BASTARD.

I'm going on 24 years in finance, my financial timeline is longer than most in crypto's lifeline.

MORAL OF RANT: Bitcoin was created for equality, not for a group of 'learn on the fly' idiots to control as they were kings while risking others money. These guys profile pics are hilarious with everyone posing as a visionary, so cookie cutter reminds me of the NYS prison facility blueprint all cut from the same mold yet unorganized as fuck, Much funny!

FYI - Everytime you hear a bank is adopting blockchain technology & 'not' bitcoin as a currency it puts us further behind. Banks are going to peg off the $USD & not acknowledge $BTC value at all with private blockchains that cannot be publicly mined with centralized controls providing no transparency. They stripped us of blockchain technology to them Bitcoin is a dime a dozen just an app. This is not an opinion, it's what I'm being told from financial professional's throughout the industry. It's up to us as a community not the financial institutions to make the happen. Can our current leaders handle this task? I truly doubt it, maybe with a little FinTechEDU?
Last edited by CoyoteOfWallSt on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:31 am

I just added
bitcoinx.io
and
fintechinc.io
to the list.

I really like BitcoinX.io's use of a PGP signature and an explanation of what a Canary Warrant is.
I will likely follow their lead later today.

To anyone who was upset by the delay, unfortunately I do need to sleep each night, and when I am awake, I am not able to spend 100% of my time on this forum.
topic7039.html

mariodian

Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:49 am

Great idea. I'm building a small bitcoin project so I will add the canary page once it's finished.

TheCanary
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:06 pm

You can add Third Key Solutions (https://www.thirdkey.solutions) to that list also :)

https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/651203731241877504

Third Key Solutions published its first quarterly warrant canary:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/third ... -10-05.txt

tungfa
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 19j972c9zC2Gg7VGdSt6ujkCqvo2EBtj63

Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:27 pm

i really like this idea of the canary and had a look into it
a very smart man just told me:
I talked to our lawyers about doing one for xx and they advised against it. Here’s why. A warrant canary is supposed to give your customers that warm fuzzy feeling that your site is trustworthy. But, if you are not a trustworthy site, then even if you get an subpoena, you are going to pull the warrant canary statement. At that point, the warrant canary becomes just another lie. So basically, a warrant canary is worthless because only the good actors will follow it.
And a subpoena doesn’t mean your are guilty of anything, so if you do pull the warrant canary because you have receive a subpoena it will have a negative overall affect. It’s like guilty until proven innocent.

A false allegation by a troll to a federal power could trigger a subpoena at which point we would have to take the warrant canary down.
Once you take it down the twitter attack will erupt , guilty or not ! :roll:

BitcoinRussia

Donate BTC of your choice to 1FRy3XSbTtAwT3aUFrLF3F4gQuPtdGVjry

Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Cryptocurrency Foundation Russia has Canary Warrant page too: http://ccfr.info/canary.html
Sincerely,

Cryptocurrency Foundation Russia
URL: http://ccfr.info

TheCanary
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:35 am

A false allegation by a troll to a federal power could trigger a subpoena at which point we would have to take the warrant canary down.
You don't have to take it down if it is a regular subpoena. Then you just update the number. If it is some anti-democratic mouth gagging subpoena from the FISA Court or something similar, then you can remove it.

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Re: Bitcoin.com now has a Warrant Canary page!

Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:02 am

This is interesting and scary at the same time.
Taken from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_canary

Companies and organizations who no longer have warrant canaries

Apple

The following is a list of companies and organizations with warrant canaries:

8chan
A Wild Duck
AceVPN
Adobe
Boleh VPN
Cheezburger
Clandestine Reporters Working Group
Clever Things
CloudFlare
Cotap
Crypsa
Cryptostorm
Databreaches
DEF CON
Electric Embers
EPRCI Hosting
Espionage App
First Look Media
Fisil
GhostMail
IPredator
IVPN
Lavaboom
Library Freedom Project
Liquid VPN
Lokun.is
Lookout
Mapbox
Medium
PartyVan
Pinterest
ProtonMail
Proxy.sh
Qubes OS
Reddit
Riseup Networks
Rsync.net
Rugged Inbox
ScryptMail
Secure Suisse
Securenym
Silent Circle
SlickVPN
Spider Oak
Subrosa.io
Talko
The Internet Archive
Trust Pipe
Tumblr
Tutanota
Utility API
Vanquish Labs
VPN Secure
Wickr
Xmission
topic7039.html

avgeca
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:38 am

smart move, getting a warrant canary up on bitcoin.com :) I really appreciate that move, since my website is having a little warning birdy too.

@roger: If you haven't done so, you should apply to get listed on here canarywatch
Why Monero is the future for DNM - Privacy matters - protect yourself!

GreenBanana
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 12zB4iQMs1UqV6r9BbcnyKPdsCdfUrLRGM

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Proactive (Flying?) vs. Reactive (Perched?) Warrant Canaries

Better terms may (probably do) already exist, but I think we need to define and differentiate between the two types of warrant canaries I've come across so that we can move away from the less useful "Reactive Canary" to the much more effective "Proactive Canary." Many of the criticisms of “warrant canaries” can be solved by using a Proactive Canary and I have never seen anyone differentiate between the two.

A Reactive Warrant Canary would generally be a static (Perched) statement placed on your website that, when removed, signifies that something contained in that statement is no longer true. Typically, these have been used to indicate if a website/company has been contacted by the government for some number of their users' data/information and have been forbidden to tell anyone about that contact. This type of canary has many problems.

The assumption is that removal of the warrant canary from your own website constitutes free speech. The problem with this theory is that you must take an action to "trip" this type of canary and, with some fancy wording in the warrant, one can imagine it would be quite easy to classify this overt act of removal as notifying the parties you were forbidden to notify. This has already happened in Australia, where reactive warrant canaries have already been banned. Removing (tripping) a reactive canary will be banned elsewhere, if it hasn't already but we wouldn't and likely won't know when this happens, due to the gag orders contained in these secret warrants. This problem is potentially solved by instead using a Proactive Canary.

A Proactive Warrant Canary, on the other hand, would be something that you actively do either continuously or, even better, on some predefined schedule. You then then stop taking this action upon your statement becoming untrue. A Proactive canary would be more like a "Dead Man's Switch." There is a MUCH stronger free speech argument for this type of canary. US courts have repeatedly decided that the government cannot compel speech. In theory, that means they can not force you to post a statement (in this case also an untrue statement) to your web page. In contrast, they likely can (or will attempt to) compel you to leave an existing, static, "Reactive Canary" in place on your site. Forcing you to actively lie to your users by compelling you to sign and post a false statement would be much more difficult for authorities to defend. A win for Proactive Canaries.

Coinfire.io utilizes (utilized) this type of Proactive Canary every month until July 2015 and then stopped updating it. This means that they either forgot to update it or they have received one or more requests for user information from a government that they are not permitted to disclose. No one knows, but the multiple canary solution, below, could remove this type of ambiguity.

Both types could be easy for a company to overlook or forget about. If a "Proactive Canary" is mistakenly forgotten and not updated on it's predefined schedule, users will likely react immediately on the day it was expected and contact the provider, prompting them to update it quickly if it had been forgotten and not intended to be "tripped". An easy and timely fix hopefully every time. On the contrary, if a "Reactive Canary" is forgotten, it is useless at best and compromises your users' security and privacy, possibly for years to come, at worst. Users will never know if the static type of canary is still valid, has been tripped but forgotten, or if the provider was forbidden to remove it even though it is no longer true. Another big win for "Proactive Canaries."

Let's push for proactive canaries in the future!

GreenBanana
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 12zB4iQMs1UqV6r9BbcnyKPdsCdfUrLRGM

Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:39 pm

@roger: If you haven't done so, you should apply to get listed on here canarywatch
I didn't know about CanaryWatch.org (or this thread) when I wrote this so a lot of it has been said or done but I think I have a few innovative ideas left in here so I'll post it anyway :)

So, here is my idea for Bitcoin.com. Many companies, particularly in the crypto and freedom spaces, have one of these types of canaries with more discovering the idea all the time. It would be nice to not only standardize the process, if not the messages too, but to have a single place to visit to see the status of all of these canaries at once. It seems like a perfect fit for Bitcoin.com and would be a unique and innovative security feature to add value to the site. It would also be great to actually utilize the blockchain in this process, if possible. Implementing the blockchain and/or signed messages could also familiarize the non crypto companies who wish to participate with some non financial uses of the blockchain.

I can envision a small FAQ explaining warrant canaries and how the page works, along with a list of participating companies with colored flags next to each name, indicating the status of their canaries (tripped or not tripped) and a link to their specific cryptographically signed proactive canary statement(s), the date of their last update as well as a countdown to their next scheduled update.

Another great improvement would be the use of multiple canaries (statements). A company can trip (through inaction) only the proactive canaries that have become untrue. This would allow much more granularity than we currently see in warrant canaries and thus inform users with greater specificity. A company could have one canary that says "We have not been contacted by the government, period" as well as one that says "We have not been required to install a backdoor in our product", "We have never been asked for any users data", “We have not been asked for a user's private messages” One for IP address, trading history, etc.

One could log in to Bitcoin.com and select from a predefined list of these statements, as well as adding custom ones and sign it once every certain time period, also specifying the date of expiration/next expected update. The more frequent, the better. The more applicable statements they select, the stronger the canary. Basically a warrant canary on steroids. By updating some canaries but not others, companies would indicate with much more clarity that the non updated canary was actually tripped and not just forgotten. This granularity can be taken to an extreme and a site could post a note or icon indicating the security in each individual user's account saying that the government has not requested any of their information, specifically.

Thoughts or feedback?

*edit* How could the blockchain be utilized in this process??

QS-

Donate BTC of your choice to 1JRVGkQg5cVqbr2cwDQkJF7PrxGMVWSrLZ

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:12 am

This is interesting and scary at the same time.
Taken from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_canary

Companies and organizations who no longer have warrant canaries

Apple
You don't think there is a reason for this :roll:

I think this is a great idea and should be utilized by more websites.

I think a PGP signed message (that includes a date even though the PGP signature in itself includes a date) would be a good idea, and equally a good idea to say that such message expires after a certain time (maybe 2-5 weeks after it is signed). This would mean that even if a government agency were to somehow compel you to keep the canary up when it should not be, you would need to actively keep it updated in order for users to be confident that it is still valid.

However I am curious as to how you will handle a situation in which you are served a Warrant that requires secrecy (which is enviable) that is very limited in scope. Would you forever keep the warrant canary down? Would you implement it in some other fashion?

Return to “The Forum”