jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: P2pool: Decentralized, DoS-resistant, trustless, censorship-resistant pool.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 am

Someone is mining on ml.toom.im:9348 with the address qrlkxrywpcksp4hfp5q0y94txakevgtm2ckfj47gyc. P2pool does not yet support the cashaddr format, so cashaddr addresses are interpreted as an ASCII worker name and mine to the node's default address. As such, you will get zero revenue and all 2 TH/s of your hashrate is a donation to the node operator (me).
Last edited by jtoomim on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 am

I have set the node fee to 0.5% at a core wallet address. ...
"Shares: 234 (4 orphan, 2 dead) Stale rate: ~2.6% (1-6%) Efficiency: ~102.7% (99-105%) Current payout: (0.0000)=0.0000 LTC"
A node fee of 0.5% means that on average one share out of every 200 will be a donation to you. Since your node has only mined about 234 shares total, that means that the expected value is that your node will only have mined one donation share in its lifetime. That one share will last in the share chain for about three days or so, but then it will be gone, and you will need to mine another donation share, which might take a few days. Not seeing a donation on all blocks a normal result of shares being quantized.

DC31

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:36 pm

I have set the node fee to 0.5% at a core wallet address. ...
"Shares: 234 (4 orphan, 2 dead) Stale rate: ~2.6% (1-6%) Efficiency: ~102.7% (99-105%) Current payout: (0.0000)=0.0000 LTC"
A node fee of 0.5% means that on average one share out of every 200 will be a donation to you. Since your node has only mined about 234 shares total, that means that the expected value is that your node will only have mined one donation share in its lifetime. That one share will last in the share chain for about three days or so, but then it will be gone, and you will need to mine another donation share, which might take a few days. Not seeing a donation on all blocks a normal result of shares being quantized.
Thank you!!!

One more question, Could anyone give me some suggestion on "share difficult". I have 100 pcs of L3+, use the same payout address. I see in the node, most of the accept shares diff=7-9. I just can get 100 shares per days. So I want to get more shares, how can I do it?

Thanks

sagus
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:28 am

jtoomim, I've just noticed I get a few odd messages every time we find a block:

2018-06-07 23:10:01.804456 Received good share: diff=223.64M hash=0000000000000000010d149b9ca1ec235cc0de599c9c458a99963eb4a67c3e2a miner=1FL9Ln6DTcp9HgTUkc6rFaePqGLn5G4d4M
2018-06-07 23:10:01.807425
2018-06-07 23:10:01.807575 GOT BLOCK FROM PEER! Passing to bitcoind! a67c3e2a bitcoin: https://blockchair.com/bitcoin-cash/blo ... b4a67c3e2a
2018-06-07 23:10:01.807692
2018-06-07 23:10:01.825704 Other nodes are going to follow a share we want to punish! Time to hulk up.
2018-06-07 23:10:01.862026 Other nodes are going to follow a share we want to punish! Time to hulk up.
[...]
2018-06-07 23:10:06.343617 Other nodes are going to follow a share we want to punish! Time to hulk up.

Is this "punishment" a problem?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:41 am

With 100 L3+s, the default share difficulty should be fine. Getting more shares with lower difficulty per share doesn't make you any more money, since your revenue is based on the sum of the of difficulty of the shares you finish. What it does is make it harder for miners with less hashrate than you to get even a single share.

The hulk code getting triggered when a block is found is something I didn't expect, but it's not a problem either. It's just trying to mine a few low-difficulty shares on top of the block-finding share to confirm it extra quickly.

sagus
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for your reply, jtoomim. Also, I just saw your latest commit and I think it's still leaking the feecache variable. This is the fix I've been using (sorry, I have no GH account):

--- a/p2pool/bitcoin/helper.py
+++ b/p2pool/bitcoin/helper.py
@@ -111,7 +111,7 @@ def getwork(bitcoind, use_getblocktemplate=False, txidcache={}, feecache={}, fee
# limit the fee cache to 100,000 entries, which should be about 10-20 MB
fum = 100000
while len(feefifo) > fum:
- del txidcache[feefifo.pop(0)]
+ del feecache[feefifo.pop(0)]

if 'height' not in work:
work['height'] = (yield bitcoind.rpc_getblock(work['previousblockhash']))['height'] + 1

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 am

Oops. Yes, thanks, that is the correct way to do it. I've committed that change.

Edit: Looks like that recently-fixed memory leak wasn't as small as I thought. My BTC nodes' memory consumption after running for a few days has fallen from around 5.5 GB to about 1.7 GB. That's probably worth a git pull for everybody.

Nageki

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:47 am

Is there anything preventing a node from submitting a valid block with only payout to itself?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:37 am

I believe the p2pool code will add a payout line to the forrestv donation address even if the value owed to him in the sharechain is zero. Other than that, the p2pool code is capable of being used for solo mining.

Of course, if you submit a share to a p2pool network that only includes a payout to itself, then other p2pool nodes will reject that share and will not include your address for future payouts on that p2pool network. Other nodes will only try to get you paid if you show them that you're trying to pay them.

Nageki

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 am

Of course, if you submit a share to a p2pool network that only includes a payout to itself, then other p2pool nodes will reject that share and will not include your address for future payouts on that p2pool network. Other nodes will only try to get you paid if you show them that you're trying to pay them.
I meant the node not submit the valid share to the network, only to the Bitcoin node.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:49 am

I'm not sure I understand your scenario, but I'll try to answer nonetheless.

Some valid shares are valid blocks. If you mine a share that also meets the difficulty threshold for being a block, then that share/block can be submitted to bitcoind. If it is submitted to bitcoind, then the bitcoind will verify that it is a valid block, and if it checks out, bitcoind will forward it to all other Bitcoin nodes in the Bitcoin network.

In order to be a valid p2pool share, the share/block would need to include payouts to all current p2pool users on that p2pool network. If you submit that block to bitcoind and not to the p2pool network, then the other p2pool users still get paid in that block. However, choosing not to submit a share to the p2pool network means that other p2pool users will be unaware of the work that you did for them (even though they got paid because of it), and consequently will not include your payout address when they mine blocks for p2pool.

in2tactics

Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:35 am

I meant the node not submit the valid share to the network, only to the Bitcoin node.
I think I understand your question. The short answer is that your premise is invalid due to how mining works.

The slightly longer answer is that each p2pool node sends work to each miner that includes a template of the proposed block header that also happens to include the merkle root hash. The merkle root hash is the hash of all transaction in that block to include the coinbase transaction (the current payout address and value to each p2pool miner with a valid share on the p2pool share chain) and all other transactions slated for inclusion from the bitcoin transaction pool up to the max block size. If a miner solves a block and the p2pool node changes the included coinbase transaction to only pay itself and submits that block to the bitcoin network it would be rejected because the merkle root hash from the block header does not match the included transactions.

I think that jtoomim addressed the alternative scenario. A p2pool node could send work to its miners with a merkle root hash for a coinbase transaction that only pays itself. If a miner on that specific p2pool node finds a solution, that p2pool node can submit a valid block to the bitcoin network. However, that p2pool node would never create a valid share for the p2pool network because each share would be rejected. Essentially, that p2pool node would be mining by itself and cheating only the miners on that p2pool node.

VaqLTC

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:23 am

I have a quick question, Is the 1st page the most up to date installation or has it changed. One issue I had using the 1st page install it had a bunch of naughty for not using v33. I am using 33.0-4-gf7b5fba-dirty and it works perfectly. Right now I am only mining LTC and not have tried merged mining due to the fact that it is working properly. I am just asking this question because there are about 20 different ways to install p2pool and someone trying to get in would have to navigate quite a few barriers trying to get their node up.

Thanks for all the work Jtoomim
VIc

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:32 am

The instructions on the first page are still accurate.

The "naughty" lines happen when someone else on the network does something naughty. This used to happen often on the LTC network, as there was someone who consistently mined invalid blocks. However, they seem to have disappeared, and my own nodes are no longer reporting any naughtiness. Can you provide some examples of the naughty messages?

Most of the discussion of the naughty miner happened around page 2 of this thread.

VaqLTC

Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:46 am

Thanks for the quick response jtoomim.

Just to confirm, using LTC 15.1 and BTC 15 are the correct versions to use? Right now I am showing up on http://litecoinp2pool.com/static/ . The messages disappeared when I started using 33.0-4-gf7b5fba-dirty which I got from https://github.com/ilsawa/p2pool-jtoomim using feechecking.

My post was mainly to address the process that I had went through and hopefully anyone who wants to set up a node can have a less painful experience. There is so much out there right now that makes it a bit confusing so my hope is seeing your post will clarify that the instructions are the most up to date and correct way to set it up and any messages that may look out of place or odd are normal.

Thanks,
Vic

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 am

P2pool BTC (jtoomimnet) mined two blocks in the last week. One today, one on the 12th. Block #531616 and #532221. Both blocks were pretty small though, at 35 kB and 102 kB.

If you're mining on jtoomimnet p2pool, please make sure to set blockmaxweight=4000000 in your bitcoin.conf.

The most recent version I have released is 15.0-110-g5b715d4. I have not reviewed ilsawa's repository, and cannot vouch for the code contained therein. He has copied a lot of my code over apparently using copy-paste instead of the regular git commands (e.g. git cherry-pick, git merge, etc), and he tends to condense several of my commits into a single mixed commit in his repository, which makes it a lot more difficult to review his version and check it for errors.

My repository for p2pool is https://github.com/jtoomim/p2pool/, branch 1mb_segwit.

VaqLTC

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:03 am

By the way I successfully ran your software on a raspberry pi 3+ with 250gb SSD. I will be trying the ODROID MC1 next. Its great way for you to do a crash course in a linux environment and learn optimization.

Thanks again for all the work you do,
Vic

VaqLTC

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:49 am

Just for general information if you --net litecoin and merged--dodgecoin what other alt coins can you do that will work with the merge string?

Thanks,
Vic

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:20 pm

@jtoomim, on BCH: It seems from recent traffic spikes that the software doesn't handle high tx traffic very well, latency and CPU usage both spiked when there was a string of large blocks. Is there a way to diagnose this?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:27 am

imaginary_username, I expected this. P2pool is coded to process every transaction and to send each transaction to each peer, just like bitcoind does. However, p2pool is written in Python, so it is not very good at this. Getting p2pool to run well with high transaction loads is possible, but it will require ripping out a lot of p2pool's code to accomplish it.

In the mean time, you can reduce this problem by setting a lower maxblocksize value in your bitcoin.conf. 2 MB should be okay for most servers; some may be able to handle 4-8 MB. P2pool is currently hard-limited to 8 MB per share, so don't bother going beyond 8 MB, since that will just force p2pool to remove transactions from your block template and will do extra work for no benefit.

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:28 am

@jtoomim I had some new hashrate come online, and this happened on the hourly chart. Are the gaps normal?

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:37 am

That does not look normal. IP?

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:18 pm

p2pool.imaginary.cash:9348 at 198.50.179.86

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:06 pm

I found some of these errors in output, not sure if they help:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 501, in _startRunCallbacks
self._runCallbacks()
File "/usr/local/lib/pypy2.7/dist-packages/Twisted-15.4.0-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/twisted/internet/defer.py", line 588, in _runCallbacks
current.result = callback(current.result, *args, **kw)
File "/home/user/bin/p2pool/p2pool/util/deferral.py", line 256, in gotResult
it(res2)
File "/home/user/bin/p2pool/p2pool/util/deferral.py", line 233, in it
res = gen.send(cur) # external code is run here
--- <exception caught here> ---
File "/home/user/bin/p2pool/p2pool/util/deferral.py", line 284, in _worker
self.func(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File "/home/user/bin/p2pool/p2pool/util/expiring_dict.py", line 109, in <lambda>
self._expire_loop = expire_loop = deferral.RobustLoopingCall(lambda: self_ref().expire())
exceptions.AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'expire'

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:25 pm

@jtoomim re: the weird gaps, we hopped around some nodes and found even more eerily that the "gaps" are "synced" across nodes on multiple geographical locations - they occur at exactly the same time. Hope you get a good look soon!

sagus
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 am

I found some of these errors in output, not sure if they help:
I used to see lots of these as well. Please see here: pools/p2pool-decentralized-dos-resistan ... ml#p182484

Have you set a pseudoshare difficulty for your miners? Those gaps usually happen with high pseudoshare difficulties.

imaginary_username
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:22 am

I used to see lots of these as well. Please see here: pools/p2pool-decentralized-dos-resistan ... ml#p182484

Have you set a pseudoshare difficulty for your miners? Those gaps usually happen with high pseudoshare difficulties.
Thanks! Trying that now.

bootz47

Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Jtoomim,

My T9+ appiered to been slowing down over the past few months. I cleaned it out but that didn't help. I reset the defaults and noticed the speed went back to full using the bitmain default pools. I then checked it mining on my p2pool/p2pool node and again it runs at full speed. It seems to only slow when mining on my p2pool/jtoomim node.

Are you aware of anything I can try to get the node back to full speed? Is there a cach that need flushing, or any routine maintinance I should start to addopt?

Main site: http://www.mine4.com
P2Pool/P2Pool Stats: http://p2.mine4.com:9332/static/graphs.html?Day
P2Pool/Jtoomim: http://p2.mine4.com:9334/static/graphs.html?Month

Thank you.
James.

jtoomim
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:07 pm

That's quite strange, and I haven't seen anything like that before.

I don't recognize the version 4a0332c that your node is running. Can you do a few commands?

git remote -v
git status
git branch -v

Return to “Pools”