Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:08 am

Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Re: Increase the block size now!

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:58 am

And then we can continue 100% focus on making massive amounts of coin :)

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

BitcoinGuides
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Kyk8xJcjqZwQPTWTbiQ6HYMA5FmAc3NH3

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:38 am

I'm in ethereum until this blocksize bullshit is over. The number of unconfirmed transactions in unacceptable.

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:33 am

This in today (feb 29 2016) from the Dash lady, Amanda B. Johnson:

How Bitcoin Became the Slowest, Most Expensive, Least-Developed Currency

https://youtu.be/eUFsNSpQsEU

She indicates that she sent bitcoins to Purse.io (for Amazon purchase) and that it's now been over 16 hours without a single confirmation.

She indicates that 'up to 30000' other Bitcoin users are facing the same problem right now.

She also indicates that Bitcoin is developmentally behind almost all other cryptocurrencies and may be the least advanced of all cryptocurrencies.

In support of her position she states the following:

(1) slowest confirmation times

(2) least clear governance process

(3) it's development is primarily funded from fiat, not cryptocurrency

(4) it's nodes aren't paid

(5) it has not yet replaced alphanumeric addresses with usernames

(6) it has zero privacy functions at the protocol level

(7) it offers zero protection against double-spends in face to face retail environments

ronnieb
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:25 am

It would be nice to create a post that has the steps necessary to increase block size. Not just from the Miner perspective, but all perspectives... What users can do to move the process forward. a How To Move The BlockSize to 2MB Now.

SpartanZA
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1FVr4Efww21vEs3aZrrchbyV3V8Y2eBLrS

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:42 am

I am a newbie, so sorry for asking, but where are the main discussions held with regards to the block size?

Roger, out of interest, and again, sorry if I have missed it, but what would you like to see happen with the increase? If you had a magic wand, and the power to make a change that would increase the block size, what would it be? I actually would like to ask everyone, not just Roger. Might help me and other better understand the issue if we do not.

I am not a coder, or developer, or anything like that, but am happy to invest in time to understand.
and this moment too shall pass

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:29 am

I am a newbie, so sorry for asking, but where are the main discussions held with regards to the block size?

Roger, out of interest, and again, sorry if I have missed it, but what would you like to see happen with the increase? If you had a magic wand, and the power to make a change that would increase the block size, what would it be? I actually would like to ask everyone, not just Roger. Might help me and other better understand the issue if we do not.

I am not a coder, or developer, or anything like that, but am happy to invest in time to understand.
Just about anything that increases the throughput enough to keep up with demand is fine by me.
An increase in the block size to 2, 4, or 8MB plus segregated witness would be a great start.

The discussion is fragmented due to the censorship taking place on many platforms.

I think here, and /r/BTC are likely your best bet for the whole picture.
/r/Bitcoin will have some information too, but only from one side of the argument.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

fBSDluv

Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:56 am

This in today (feb 29 2016) from the Dash lady, Amanda B. Johnson:

How Bitcoin Became the Slowest, Most Expensive, Least-Developed Currency

https://youtu.be/eUFsNSpQsEU

She indicates that she sent bitcoins to Purse.io (for Amazon purchase) and that it's now been over 16 hours without a single confirmation.

She indicates that 'up to 30000' other Bitcoin users are facing the same problem right now.

She also indicates that Bitcoin is developmentally behind almost all other cryptocurrencies and may be the least advanced of all cryptocurrencies.

In support of her position she states the following:

(1) slowest confirmation times

(2) least clear governance process

(3) it's development is primarily funded from fiat, not cryptocurrency

(4) it's nodes aren't paid

(5) it has not yet replaced alphanumeric addresses with usernames

(6) it has zero privacy functions at the protocol level

(7) it offers zero protection against double-spends in face to face retail environments
bitcoin is better than dash

SpartanZA
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:08 am

Anther newbie question but couldn't the block chain size be increased by increasing the number of full nodes connected to the network?
Shouldn't we be looking at incentives for full nodes as the more there are, the quicker the network can operate. Unless Im horribly mistaken, and if I am I am sorry

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:15 am

Anther newbie question but couldn't the block chain size be increased by increasing the number of full nodes connected to the network?
Shouldn't we be looking at incentives for full nodes as the more there are, the quicker the network can operate. Unless Im horribly mistaken, and if I am I am sorry

Welcome!

The blockchain is stored on every single full node. Thus, adding more nodes adds to the number of copies of the blockchain that are available but it does not add capacity to the blockchain itself. It also adds to the stability of the system (the more nodes, on more networks, in more jurisdictions, ensures that bitcoin is immune from attacks and a country's internet policy)

If the maximum blockchain size is increased, ie from 1 MB per block to 2 MB per block - this does not mean that each block will be 2 MB. Just as not all blocks are 1 MB with the current limit. So it is difficult to say how much extra storage is needed. It would be incorrect to say "twice as much", as that statement would be valid only with always full blocks.

Every full node would have to store the blocks. But nodes could choose to be pruned nodes. These have the latest blocks, but not the entire chain all the way from the genesis block.

Hope it helps.
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

SpartanZA
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:35 am

I would think there has to be an 'organic' increase. For example, if a block size reaches 1mb, it would have to have the ability to increase on its own as and when it's needed. It would be good to have the size increase to a capacity that 'is needed for that block' instead of a general increase of 1mb to 2mb... Hope that makes sense.

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:43 am

I would think there has to be an 'organic' increase. For example, if a block size reaches 1mb, it would have to have the ability to increase on its own as and when it's needed. It would be good to have the size increase to a capacity that 'is needed for that block' instead of a general increase of 1mb to 2mb... Hope that makes sense.

That makes perfect sense. This was the idea of Bitcoins creator Satoshi Nakamoto.

He placed a temporary 1 MB maximum block size in the code as a TEMPORARY measure to stop an attack vector that was possible back then, but no longer is possible now. It was always his goal to remove the maximum block size, allowing blocks to be as large, or as small, as they would have to be to include the transactions that the miners chose to include.

There are a few fears that many people have that allowing blocks to be as large as they "need" to be, allows miners to attack the network by broadcasting blocks full of transactions that nobody else had ever seen (ie transactions that the miners make themselves). I don't share this view. Satoshi Nakamoto did not share this view. Gavin Andresen (who Satoshi left in charge when he disappeared) does not share this view. Many many many people in bitcoin land think that blocks should be as large as needed, and the miners should decide (via configuration settings) how big their blocks are - and what size blocks they will accept.

If you look into Bitcoin Unlimited, you will see that your view is shared to such an extent that an entire bitcoin client has been created. I support BU, and I actually run 2 BU nodes (but one is claiming to be a Classic node!)

I support Classic because it allows immediate relief for full blocks. I think it is a stepping stone to a more permanent solution (BU) and I hope that all other possibilities, such as Sidechains and Lightning Networks will also materialize - taking the transactions off chain that are best suited for a settlement system and keeping the transactions on chain that are best suited for peer to peer.
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

SOF
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1HGwcWqCBbiiN79KSvGCRGMonWpPcymdu6

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Obviously an 'auto-increase' would be great.

If it hasn't happened already Bitcoin is going the way of obsolescence with each passing day this blocksize issue is not solved.
The discussion is fragmented due to the censorship taking place on many platforms.
One would think this is the result of a few egotistical black hat developers. Once Roger Ver said the above about information pathways being fragmented via 'censorship' there is a high chance we have an agenda at work. One of the key military strategies by the enemy is to disrupt communications to confuse and disunite the target group.

Beyond this the details of who or what is behind this is the realm of speculation until further verifiable evidence is at hand.
Bitcoin donations for my artwork at http://sofdmc.deviantart.com appreciated:
1HGwcWqCBbiiN79KSvGCRGMonWpPcymdu6

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Obviously an 'auto-increase' would be great.

If it hasn't happened already Bitcoin is going the way of obsolescence with each passing day this blocksize issue is not solved.
One would think this is the result of a few egotistical black hat developers. Once Roger Ver said the above about information pathways being fragmented via 'censorship' there is a high chance we have an agenda at work. One of the key military strategies by the enemy is to disrupt communications to confuse and disunite the target group.

Beyond this the details of who or what is behind this is the realm of speculation until further verifiable evidence is at hand.
Greed, ego - these are the most common problems in business.

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

Return to “Mining”