bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DJcTrvdGsmKr7LdriVizkVmkcXWoG12nt

Bitcoin ATM Crowd Funding Project.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:36 am

Ok so I have had an idea about starting a crowd funding project to buy and effectively run a Lamassu bitcoin ATM as a group.

My idea was to have the ATM placed in Melbourne, Australia and moved if we thought it would be more useful elsewhere but anywhere that would be best is where we would want it to be.
These machines can bring in a healthy profit for all involved and since there is so few available in Melbourne it would be a great time to set up here or just about anywhere else for that matter.

I have not done this before so I would love to hear from anyone who has been involved in any type of crowd funding projects and let me know about their experience of how it all works before starting.

Thanks in advance.

Reagrds: bitkilo.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Re: Bitcoin ATM Crowd Funding Project.

Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:25 pm

Ok so I have had an idea about starting a crowd funding project to buy and effectively run a Lamassu bitcoin ATM as a group.

My idea was to have the ATM placed in Melbourne, Australia and moved if we thought it would be more useful elsewhere but anywhere that would be best is where we would want it to be.
These machines can bring in a healthy profit for all involved and since there is so few available in Melbourne it would be a great time to set up here or just about anywhere else for that matter.

I have not done this before so I would love to hear from anyone who has been involved in any type of crowd funding projects and let me know about their experience of how it all works before starting.

Thanks in advance.

If you need any help, let me know.

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

kingscrown
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Im almost ninja on those Lamassu machines, ive set up 3 of them and 1 of them we been even dispatching into parts [taking off tablet out etc]
Financial Underground KIngdom - Best Cryptocurrency Blog with Private Mailing List

GIVE ME A BEER 1HC58noBPD7fmyNZKP7qf7thjb6ZSVN7fK

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:29 pm

I might be interested in this. I'm playing with the idea of setting up a btm in belize - it would be a great market because it has poor banking infrastructure and nobody outside of belize wants a belize dollar.

But because of this it is also hard to wire money to an exchange to buy or sell bitcoin.

Your idea might be a nice way of getting my feet wet. I'd like to be involved primarily to learn & would be able to invest a bit too.

My guess is that the first step is finding a really good location that is secure, priced right, and accessible for you (or someone else) for managing the cash. Do you have any thoughts on this?
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:17 pm

I might be interested in this. I'm playing with the idea of setting up a btm in belize - it would be a great market because it has poor banking infrastructure and nobody outside of belize wants a belize dollar.

But because of this it is also hard to wire money to an exchange to buy or sell bitcoin.

Your idea might be a nice way of getting my feet wet. I'd like to be involved primarily to learn & would be able to invest a bit too.

My guess is that the first step is finding a really good location that is secure, priced right, and accessible for you (or someone else) for managing the cash. Do you have any thoughts on this?
iFixBTCmemoryIssues has a great idea to take this worldwide and make it something big.

Hopefully he will post here to explain.

Regarding cash issues i was first thinking of having the machine local so i could empty it and buy more coins for cash via LBC's or bank transfer.
Any profits would be split even with the percentages anyone put in during crowd funding.
Please help Ross and his family during this hard time by donating to the https://freeross.org/ fund. Play at the best provably fair Bitcoin games site here: games.bitcoin.com Need a fantastic Bitcoin wallet Pick up some great Bitcoin.com swag here

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:22 pm

iFixBTCmemoryIssues has a great idea to take this worldwide and make it something big.

Regarding cash issues i was first thinking of having the machine local so i could empty it and buy more coins for cash via LBC's or bank transfer.
Any profits would be split even with the percentages anyone put in during crowd funding.
What do you mean with local? I'm sure you don't mean in your own home ;)

Getting a good location is probably the single most important aspect of setting up a bitcoin atm.

I'm looking forward to the world domination plan - as long as it allows to start small and profitable, and build from there ;)
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:26 pm

What do you mean with local? I'm sure you don't mean in your own home ;)

Getting a good location is probably the single most important aspect of setting up a bitcoin atm.

I'm looking forward to the world domination plan - as long as it allows to start small and profitable, and build from there ;)
No not my home. The only home a bitcoin ATM would be profitable in would.be a drug dealers house. ;)

By local i was thinking of a local cafe or maybe shopping centre.

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:38 pm

No not my home. The only home a bitcoin ATM would be profitable in would.be a drug dealers house. ;)

I'd go and talk to the owners / managers in the places that look like they would be good options, and see if they are open for it. Having 2 or 3 options that we could choose from would be perfect!

It would help to know how much would be reasonable to pay for setting up an ATM in someone else's shop, does anyone know? I am sure it differs a lot per location, but some examples and figures would be useful.

Would the ATM be covered by insurance, and would the place you put the machine have to provide that? What happens to the machine + cash if it gets stolen - is that an expense for the operator? What legal hoops do we need to jump through?

None of these are show stoppers, but they are important in understanding what we are getting in to!

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:45 pm

I'd go and talk to the owners / managers in the places that look like they would be good options, and see if they are open for it. Having 2 or 3 options that we could choose from would be perfect!

It would help to know how much would be reasonable to pay for setting up an ATM in someone else's shop, does anyone know? I am sure it differs a lot per location, but some examples and figures would be useful.

Would the ATM be covered by insurance, and would the place you put the machine have to provide that? What happens to the machine + cash if it gets stolen - is that an expense for the operator? What legal hoops do we need to jump through?

None of these are show stoppers, but they are important in understanding what we are getting in to!
There will be plenty of legal loop holes we will have to jump through but as you say they are not stoppers and with a bit of research we will pass any requirements needed.

Just wait till iFixBTCmemoryIssueS posts his idea, i think us 3 could work together on this project and do well

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:54 am

Thanks in advance.

@bitkilo

There's a science behind crowdfunding.

One of the most important factors is planning.

In my opinion (others may disagree) you'll need to prepare for about six (6) months before you launch your crowdfunding project.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:07 am

Thanks in advance.

@bitkilo

There's a science behind crowdfunding.

One of the most important factors is planning.

In my opinion (others may disagree) you'll need to prepare for about six (6) months before you launch your crowdfunding project.
Your 100% right planning is the key on a project like this or any project that matter.

I am looking at this from 2 sides now.
Local 1 or 2 machines or go big and launch this world wide.

So what I really need is info from anyone who has been part of a crowd funding project so they can let me know their experiences and what to watch out for.

This won't be easy but nothing that it worth doing is easy but I'm up for the challenge

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:31 am

Your 100% right planning is the key on a project like this or any project that matter.

I am looking at this from 2 sides now.
Local 1 or 2 machines or go big and launch this world wide.

So what I really need is info from anyone who has been part of a crowd funding project so they can let me know their experiences and what to watch out for.

This won't be easy but nothing that it worth doing is easy but I'm up for the challenge
@bitkilo

I have been involved in crowdfunding projects.

However, the projects weren't successful.

I can tell you what I learned though.

Aside from my comment above (regarding 6 months of planning before launch) I believe it's necessary to:

(1) Start building rapports with bloggers and journalists.

How is that accomplished? You can search google for blogs and newscasts which are related (doesn't need to be an exact match, but somehow related) to the subject of your crowdfunding project.

Read their work and find out more about them. Then send them emails and or use their on-site contact form. Tell them the truth about what you think of their writings and that you are also interested in this same sort of things.

After you've sent them (each blogger, each journalist) several mails and they've also corresponded back with you then at some point you can put forward your idea of your crowdfunding project. Ask them if they would publish an article or two about your crowdfunding project or perhaps an interview with you. You'd like them to direct their readers to your project.

Some articles should be published before launch and others after your crowdfunding project is live.

(2) [I'll post this is a new comment below if I can get my thoughts together, lol]

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:59 am

Im almost ninja on those Lamassu machines, ive set up 3 of them and 1 of them we been even dispatching into parts [taking off tablet out etc]
You may become useful when the machine(s) are ready for instalation.

Can you give me any idea what the costs for repairs are on these and if any firmware upgrades are need constantly.

Do the Lamassu brand machines brake down often?
We have a 2 here in Melbourne that are hardly ever working, the shop owners blame this on a disbute with the machine owners, hopefully solved now.

Last bitcoin meetup i went to had a bitcoin atm serup to use- Lamassu brand.

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:16 am

@bitkilo

(2) The first day of your launched crowdfunding project is the most critical.

I wouldn't launch your crowdfunding project until you are certain (100%) that you'll have a good number of supporters who guarantee to make pledges on the first day.

If not, you're project will likely fade away into the abyss.

(3) Social media algorithm

You should advertise your crowdfunding project on facebook and twitter

You'll need as many likes and retweets as possible. They'll be calculated.

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:21 am

@bitkilo

(2) The first day of your launched crowdfunding project is the most critical.

I wouldn't launch your crowdfunding project until you are certain (100%) that you'll have a good number of supporters who guarantee to make pledges on the first day.

If not, you're project will likely fade away into the abyss.

(3) Social media algorithm

You should advertise your crowdfunding project on facebook and twitter

You'll need as many likes and retweets as possible. They'll be calculated.
Thabks i an taking all this onboard and will refer back to this post when needed.

kingscrown
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Can you give me any idea what the costs for repairs are on these and if any firmware upgrades are need constantly.

We have a 2 here in Melbourne that are hardly ever working, the shop owners blame this on a disbute with the machine owners, hopefully solved now.

They offer their SLA hosting for 100usd a month (i think) but i never used it.

They have support but by email - they reply every 24h. So if stuff is urgent... Oh well ;)

The machines are not really breaking so no need to pay for "mechanical" issues (never heard of anybody needing so.

But there happends freezes of the tablet.machine.

Then ANYTHING you can do is actually get to location and hard reboot the tablet with your own fingers. No way to fix it remotely at this moment.

They do work on this but so far this is not fixed. And thats most irritatign bug.

To some people it happends more often, to some people less often.

But its still better than ie BitXatm machines having a bug when they take peoples money and dont pay out :)

Mostly Lamassu is smooth, just this one freeze bug can make your head turn around. But there is ways to avoid too much hassle - leave 1 of keys to staff of spot where mahien is at and teach them what button to press to restar (they wont have access to money spot, money spot has 2nd key)
Financial Underground KIngdom - Best Cryptocurrency Blog with Private Mailing List

GIVE ME A BEER 1HC58noBPD7fmyNZKP7qf7thjb6ZSVN7fK

Fibonacci3

Donate BTC of your choice to 1KUorPhR8i7KPdaY5iiFVrciBzKErmKbhD

Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:42 am

Great information! Thinking of getting a Lamassu myself.
honey BTC adger

r3volutionary

bitcoinstarter

Sat May 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi bitkilo,

We are re-launching BitcoinStarter.com which is a Bitcoin crowdfunding platform. Be great to talk about getting your project up there! It sounds very promising. Drop me an email: bitcoinstarter@gmail.com. Let's talk! :D

techguyaplus

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:13 am

Any ideas on building a Bitcoin ATM (BTM) from zero? hardware and software? I would like a partner or investor to help me build our own ATM and then deside if we will operate them or sell them or both.

techguyaplus

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:17 pm

I like the idea but lets built the ATM ourselfes, not buy the Lamasus ATM build our own. I could make it happen just need a little funding not much just for the hardware I will put the software coding time and effort. I could make it happen and then the project could also have a new scope and it will be to sell this ATMs at a lower price and get a good profit. We could also operate the ones we build if we decide to.

techguyaplus

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi bitkilo,

We are re-launching BitcoinStarter.com which is a Bitcoin crowdfunding platform. Be great to talk about getting your project up there! It sounds very promising. Drop me an email: bitcoinstarter@gmail.com. Let's talk! :D

The link its not working!! I will like to start a Building a Bitcoin ATM project and need a little funding for it. its not much..

techguyaplus

Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:31 pm

They offer their SLA hosting for 100usd a month (i think) but i never used it.

They have support but by email - they reply every 24h. So if stuff is urgent... Oh well ;)

The machines are not really breaking so no need to pay for "mechanical" issues (never heard of anybody needing so.

But there happends freezes of the tablet.machine.

Then ANYTHING you can do is actually get to location and hard reboot the tablet with your own fingers. No way to fix it remotely at this moment.

They do work on this but so far this is not fixed. And thats most irritatign bug.

To some people it happends more often, to some people less often.

But its still better than ie BitXatm machines having a bug when they take peoples money and dont pay out :)

Mostly Lamassu is smooth, just this one freeze bug can make your head turn around. But there is ways to avoid too much hassle - leave 1 of keys to staff of spot where mahien is at and teach them what button to press to restar (they wont have access to money spot, money spot has 2nd key)
I could build a Bitcoin ATM so that we wont have that kind of problems and also dont have to pay so much for it and when I say dont have to pay as much I mean only paying half of what a Lamassus Bitcon ATM cost. Also my design comes with a NUC computer instead of a tablet so we wont have hardware limitations and freez.

Neoclassical
Banned
Banned

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:28 am

Do an ICO, that will quickly provide you with much needed capital!
We don't need no centralisation. ImageImageImage

CryptoSapien
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1MuzZKXhi6zKhBC7TLSF93yzhaKvZtaVpG

Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:06 pm

This is a great idea. In my country we only have one Bitcoin atm :-(

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:00 am

Ok so I have had an idea about starting a crowd funding project to buy and effectively run a Lamassu bitcoin ATM as a group...
Any updates on this project?

bitkilo
Platinum Bitcoiner
Platinum Bitcoiner

Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:30 am

Ok so I have had an idea about starting a crowd funding project to buy and effectively run a Lamassu bitcoin ATM as a group...
Any updates on this project?
I did start working with the Bitrocket team but they were very unorganized. This has been put on hold for the foreseeable future. I have another idea for BTC/BCC ATM's that i will work on when i have time

Return to “Project Development”