brags
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Two wallets scenario

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:41 am

I have wallet A with say bitcoin.com
I have wallet B wish say copay

I have 1 bitcoin in wallet A, and have the backup key.
I send 1 bitcoin to wallet B, and have a new backup key with that wallet.

So now I have 2 sets of backup keys with 1 bitcoin...sitting in wallet B
What happens if someone finds my original backup keys from wallet A? Can they just open up a wallet C and transfer the 1 btc from the blockchain, so now wallet A and wallet B have zero?

brags
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Two wallets scenario

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:45 am

( I realize the wallet itself does not actually hold the bitcoin...the backup keys give you access to them on the blockchain)

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DYss8ztWEgcM93SJtnpfYVt6fp7cwmjBk

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 am

I have wallet A with say bitcoin.com
I have wallet B wish say copay

I have 1 bitcoin in wallet A, and have the backup key.
I send 1 bitcoin to wallet B, and have a new backup key with that wallet.

So now I have 2 sets of backup keys with 1 bitcoin...sitting in wallet B
What happens if someone finds my original backup keys from wallet A? Can they just open up a wallet C and transfer the 1 btc from the blockchain, so now wallet A and wallet B have zero?
The first (or original) backup is not applicable to the address that you sent to.

I recommend this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWCIQFNf_8g

brags
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:18 pm

I understand how hashing works (sha-1 md5 etc), ...I just want to know that if the back up keys are a link to the bitcoin in the blockchain, what happens when you have 2 sets of backup keys for two different wallets. Can't both of these keys be used to gain access to the coins in the blockchain regardless of which wallet the coins are in?

brags
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:19 pm

Like right now I have back up keys for my bitcoin wallet. If I move my coins to my copay wallet (which has a different set of keys) do I need to burn my bitcoin wallet back up keys to prevent them from being used by someone?

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:22 pm

I understand how hashing works (sha-1 md5 etc), ...I just want to know that if the back up keys are a link to the bitcoin in the blockchain, what happens when you have 2 sets of backup keys for two different wallets. Can't both of these keys be used to gain access to the coins in the blockchain regardless of which wallet the coins are in?
Hi brags,

The video was specifically, specifically, about mnemonic seed words (which is what the Bitcoin.com wallet and Copay wallets use).

The answer is no.

The seed words from your first wallet are not going to give you, or anyone else, access to your funds which are now at a different address in your other wallet.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with importing your seed words into a second wallet. You can use the same seeds words (from your first wallet) in other wallets which is fine to do if you want. You'd have access to the same funds, same addresses, but in more than one wallet.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you're mixing up the meaning, or definition, of 'backup' (as it pertains to a wallet as opposed to backing up something like a hard drive).

brags
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:15 pm

No I get it now. Once I move my funds to another wallet then the first wallet backup keys are useless to anyone...unless I want to import the funds back to it one day...the I would need them. Or I could just open a brand new wallet if I didn't have the keys.

Did I get it right? :)

brags
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 pm

I just wasn't sure if I had to go around burning up all the pieces of paper holding old backup keys from old wallets every time I moved my coin. :)

nandibear
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:35 pm

No I get it now. Once I move my funds to another wallet then the first wallet backup keys are useless to anyone...unless I want to import the funds back to it one day...the I would need them. Or I could just open a brand new wallet if I didn't have the keys.

Did I get it right? :)
Yes, they are useless in the sense of you, or anyone else, gaining access to your funds at the address you sent to in the other wallet.

However, it may not be a good idea to throw away the seed (the backup phrase) because you may find that you need it later. For example, if you used any of the addresses in that wallet to receive bitcoin, or even if you haven't received any bitcoin yet but you've used any of the address (e.g., given any address out to receive payments) you might find that you'll need to have accesses to those addresses again. Or even if someday you get confused and you copy and paste in some address that you had saved (maybe in a notepad or anywhere) from that wallet and end up receiving bitcoin at such an address.

brags
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Yes. All good points.

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”