rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Bitcoin Classic proposed changes to wallets.bitcoin.com

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Each day, a few thousand people download their first bitcoin wallet from wallet.bitcoin.com
I propose we get more of them to run full nodes, (preferably classic) by adding the following soft pop-up to wallet.bitcoin.com.

I would love additional feedback on the wording and flow.
Bitcoin is similar to email in that you have many choices, and that there is no official client.
On this page you will find many of those choices, but we hope and ask that those who want to support Bitcoin, install Bitcoin Classic.
It will take up about 80GB of hard drive space and may take a few days to fully download the blockchain, but you will be helping to make the Bitcoin network more secure and resilient.
In addition to Bitcoin Classic, you can also install as many of the other wallets as you would like.
With this small change, I think we can get at least dozens, if not hundreds of brand new Bitcoin Classic nodes online each day.
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: Bitcoin Classic proposed changes to wallets.bitcoin.com

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:34 pm

What about popup blockers? Personally I am less inclined to accept a product offered by a popup but I understand the utility. You could always make Bitcoin Classic the featured wallet. I upgraded the node I run to Classic last night. I do not see the harm in using a popup for a few weeks to get Classic off to a good start though.

magma
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Magmaqvxx7LpUTYGWw8RNPEJXBQ6iSLVX

Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:47 pm

We have made full nodes/wallets the default category now, and we are promoting Bitcoin Classic by default.

Time to let bitcoin scale!
Magma Hindenburg - Bitcoin wallet developer

tomtomtom7

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:26 pm

I don't think this is a good idea.

Bitcoin.com should strive towards being impartial.

Making Classic the featured wallet is an acceptable bias. Claiming Classic is best for the bitcoin network is a step too far.

Just because bitcoin.org and /r/bitcoin use these tactics, doesn't mean bitcoin.com should do the same.

arnoudk
Bronze Bitcoiner
Bronze Bitcoiner

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:53 pm

I like the idea to promote full nodes on the main download page. As it is now, I do not think it is clear to new users what a full node is, or why they should want one. As a new user, if I were to visit the download page, I would click on the desktop link and never know about full nodes.

I propose to change the wording. But I do use many more words, which is a personal preferences I guess. What about :
Bitcoin is a currency that is supported by the computers of those people who choose to run [bitcoin classic] (or [compatible]) software on their laptop, desktop computer or server. This software has a copy of the entire block chain, which is a full history of all transactions ever performed with bitcoin. This is called a full installation, or a full node.

While it is not necessary to run a full node to use bitcoin, doing so will build the strength of the network as a whole and ensures that you are not dependent on any third party services to use bitcoin securely and reliably.

A full installation requires about 80 GB of hard disk space to store the block chain, and it may take several days to synchronize all transactions. We recommend to keep bitcoin classic running in the background whenever your computer is on, in order to ensure it is always aware of the latest transactions and so that your computer can strengthen the network by sharing transactions it was informed about with other computers just like it elsewhere on the Internet.

You don't need to keep a full node running 24/7 to receive transactions: other full nodes in the network will store all transactions, including the ones that fund your addresses, even if your computer is switched off. As soon as your full node reconnects to the Internet, it will download any transactions it missed while offline and it will inform you to any transactions that occurred.

In addition to running a full node, you can install as many other wallets as you like. You should be aware that there is no one official bitcoin wallet.

Click [here to download bitcoin classic] or a full node [alternative].
Also, please feel free to download any of the other wallets for [mobile] devices, [desktop] computers, [hardware] devices or [bank] services.

Thank you for your support.
Roger, please feel free to use this text, or change it any way you like.
Excited about the potential of Bitcoin Cash in the beautiful country of Belize.
Developer of the RegisterDocuments.com Document Registration Service (using the Bitcoin Cash blockchain).

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:45 pm

I like the idea to promote full nodes on the main download page. As it is now, I do not think it is clear to new users what a full node is, or why they should want one. As a new user, if I were to visit the download page, I would click on the desktop link and never know about full nodes.

xxxxxxxxxx.

i would not recommend a full node to a new user too. a new user should use something like Copay or Blockchain.info

Install and go! thats the way it should be.
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:27 pm

So far, we seem to be off to a good start sending traffic:

Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 pm

So far, we seem to be off to a good start sending traffic:

That is a really great start, bravo!!!!!!! :)

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

oreo

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 am

Making Classic the featured wallet is an acceptable bias. Claiming Classic is best for the bitcoin network is a step too far.

Just because bitcoin.org and /r/bitcoin use these tactics, doesn't mean bitcoin.com should do the same.
This site got me started,

You tell me to use these money making tools to do something, I will try it and see if it works.

Good advice, it works!

My only problem is the get rich quick scams in micro, these need to go-$$$.

harrymmmm
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1harryJLHBcivP4sFQjTMDPfYHXBUT7ED

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:36 am

I totally agree. Starting to wonder why I'm actually here now ...

Classic is not only not the way to make bitcoin scale, it's a distraction from that goal. Delaying scaling, and (worse) it offers a way for the pitchfork crowd to have control over monetary policy.

Bitcoin.com needs to be impartial. Roger can have his personal view, of course, but I'll be outa here if this site starts promoting stupid alternatives like this.
1harryJLHBcivP4sFQjTMDPfYHXBUT7ED

iFixBTCmemoryIssues
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:48 am

Classic is not only not the way to make bitcoin scale, it's a distraction from that goal. Delaying scaling, and (worse) it offers a way for the pitchfork crowd to have control over monetary policy.

Bitcoin.com needs to be impartial. Roger can have his personal view, of course, but I'll be outa here if this site starts promoting stupid alternatives like this.
If you send Roger a message, he will add alternatives.

Watch his videos, you can see this is a good guy (body movement).

Have votes on a monthly basis, then it's equal! "We, the people, vote this in, vote that in" etc.

If you are running a version of Bitcoin Core, stop using it. Upgrade to Bitcoin Unlimited or Classic immediately.

Fix Your Unconfirmed Transaction.

Vote for the future of our Bitcoin network!

LiteCoinGuy
Gold Bitcoiner
Gold Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Dbo5TtxG9cWoyw49GM8vbD7HgQhr1KVi6

Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:03 pm

i agree. bitcoin.com should be more impartial in that context.
More informations about Bitcoin and scaling BTC on

bitcoin.org/en/

https://bitcoincore.org/en/2015/12/23/c ... reases-faq

&
reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

Return to “Bitcoin Discussion”