Grass

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Cn7QLjxdJ84sNGrCWwxD6FHJbDeXkCuCB

Does the bitcoin.com wallet have an "Import priv key" setting?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:14 pm

Hey Guys!

just wondering if the bitcoin.com wallet has an "Import private key" setting so that we can absorb our paper wallets directly into the app and spend the balances?

other apps currently allow this feature (even for BCH) like the popular SPV iOS wallet Bread (also known as "BRD" and "Breadwallet") -- see screenshot
I had a look through the settings in the Bitcoin.com wallet app on iPhone but I couldn't find this feature.
Attachments
Import priv key.png

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Re: Does the bitcoin.com wallet have an "Import priv key" setting?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Hey Guys!

just wondering if the bitcoin.com wallet has an "Import private key" setting so that we can absorb our paper wallets directly into the app and spend the balances?

other apps currently allow this feature (even for BCH) like the popular SPV iOS wallet Bread (also known as "BRD" and "Breadwallet") -- see screenshot
I had a look through the settings in the Bitcoin.com wallet app on iPhone but I couldn't find this feature.
Hi Grass,

It is not possible to import a private key into the Bitcoin.com Wallet as doing so would result in your 12 word seed phrase associated with your wallet not containing that private key. This would mean that if you ever lost your device or had to restore your wallet from your 12 word seed phrase, you would not be able to recover the funds held in that address.

The recommended solution for moving funds from paper wallets is actually to sweep them, and you can do this very easily by using the Scan function in your Bitcoin.com Wallet and pointing your device's camera at the private key QR code of your paper wallet. :)

Grass

Donate BTC of your choice to 1Cn7QLjxdJ84sNGrCWwxD6FHJbDeXkCuCB

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks for the Reply Fremont! appreciate it!

I think it could be a terminology confusion on my part... perhaps the example in the screenshot from Breadwallet, is actually a sweep function, It says "Import Wallet" but I bet they are actually 'sweeping' but not using that terminology, do you think?

I emailed them about it and they said that what happens when you use this feature in Breadwallet is that it generates a transaction on the Bitcoin/or/BitcoinCash network... so its not really importing the private key at all, merely using the scanning of the priv key to 'sign' a transaction sending the entire balance to a newly designated address.

Is that what Sweeping is?
Thanks, man!

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks for the Reply Fremont! appreciate it!

I think it could be a terminology confusion on my part... perhaps the example in the screenshot from Breadwallet, is actually a sweep function, It says "Import Wallet" but I bet they are actually 'sweeping' but not using that terminology, do you think?

I emailed them about it and they said that what happens when you use this feature in Breadwallet is that it generates a transaction on the Bitcoin/or/BitcoinCash network... so its not really importing the private key at all, merely using the scanning of the priv key to 'sign' a transaction sending the entire balance to a newly designated address.

Is that what Sweeping is?
Thanks, man!
Hi Grass,

That's exactly correct, importing a private key adds that address to your wallet but sweeping moves the funds from that address to a new address within your wallet. :)

Return to “Technical Support”