dank68

Sent BCH to BTC by Mistake on Ledger

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Sent BCH from gdax to my BCT wallet on Ledger. Been trying to recover using the https://bch.btc.com/docs/help/bch_segwit_recovery

No luck.

Question: is it possible to use Bryan's method to capture my BCH to Ledger nano?

The method in the FAQ "I accidentally sent BTC to my BCH wallet" is not totally correct.

All, I accidentally sent BTC from Coinbase to my bitcoin.com BCH wallet. The method in the FAQ page is did not work for me, I always got the "Error" message that the account is used by another account. When I followed the method exactly anyways, when I scanned for funds I got an error message that "transaction history could not be updated."

I found that pressing the "import wallet" button worked for me instead of selecting the "create new personal wallet." Here is how I deviated from the FAQ page:

1. In my case I sent BTC to my BCH wallet. So go to the home page and select the "+" by the BCH wallet.
2. This is where it is incorrect in the FAQ page. Select "import wallet" instead of "create personal wallet"
3. Create a name
4. Put the 12 word recovery phrase from your BCH wallet
5. Coin: select BTC (it is default to BCH since you asked to open a new BCH wallet)
6. Select nothing else, after that just press "import"
7. Go to your home page, you will see a new BTC wallet
8. Go to settings, and select the BTC wallet that was just created, then follow procedure on FAQ page, summarized below.
9. Go to "More Options", then "Wallet Addresses"
10. Press the "+" by the unused address about 20 times, or until you see the address that you sent the BTC to.
11. Press "Scan for funds"
12. You should then see your BTC in you home page.

BTC and BCH use the same public keys (address), so they are interchangeable. and that is good for now. So we are setting up a BTC sub-wallet within the BCH wallet, and the 12 word phrase is serving as the private key in the bitcoin.com wallet. Once you set up the BTC sub-wallet within your BCH wallet, you are able to access the addresses in the BCH wallet which are needed to get your funds in the blockchain. The address you own has the key to unlock and access it from the blockchain put it in our wallet and let you spend it. If you have questions just contact me.

dank68

Re: Sent BCH to BTC by Mistake on Ledger

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Yes. sorry. send to the BCH to BTC segwit.

rickorick
Banned
Banned

Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:48 am

whats the transaction id, how did you go about getting the right things for https://bch.btc.com/docs/help/bch_segwit_recovery maybe you missed a step.

dank68

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:59 pm

The address was 3KoLhz2bEkmsoSWHAfV3Xi6X239NKhXiHk. However, when they checked the xpub - they were unable to find that address....

On my Ledger - I used the 'sign message' function to check all the addresses used for BTC segwit and the 3KoLhz address is indeed listed.

The xpub was xpub6CRWHH7btrrDq5kcepmuwJkLN1GbB6DGz5fpaEEWqQPZXLLA1FsVJeYkoPFpLo8DC67N9rBcrsYwgEJEpQEK8aGJsk7TD77EgwnqUp3hFBy

Very possible I provided wrong info though! I am still talking to them, but its not looking good.

Curious is the above method by Bryan might work on Ledger?

Fremont
Site Admin
Site Admin

Donate BTC of your choice to 18tQ7D9RufgEZ9dSGLytm4Sgk8g2M5NzNZ

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Curious is the above method by Bryan might work on Ledger?
Unfortunately the method above will only work for the Bitcoin.com Wallet.

rickorick
Banned
Banned

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:23 pm

Maybe you made a mistake in copying the extended public key, try this click on the Ledger Wallet Bitcoin -> ACCOUNTS -> Your Account -> ACCOUNT SETTINGS -> Extended public key -> EXPORT

dank68

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 pm

yes - that's what I did for the xpub. Its right. Appreciate the responses gents!! and ladies!

danvee
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:15 pm

You can post on their subreddit page, they have an active community there https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/
good luck.

danvee
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:15 am

I just got this from bitcointalk

SegWit uses m/49'/0'/0' derivation path
Legacy uses m/44'/0'/0' derivation path

if you look at: https://iancoleman.io/bip39/

Generate a random 24 word seed... (DO NOT put your Ledger seed in here!) click the BIP44 Tab and look at the "Account Extended Public Key". Then click the "BIP32" tab... set the "client" to "Custom"... and set the derivation path to: m/44'/0'/0' You'll notice that the "BIP32 Extended Public Key" is the same as the "Account Extended Public Key" form the BIP44 tab... this will be the same as the xpub generated by the "Legacy" wallet in Ledger (using the same seed mnemonic)

If you now change the derivation path to: m/49'/0'/0' you'll note that the "BIP32 Extended Public Key" changes... this should be the same as the xpub for a "SegWit" wallet in Ledger (using the same seed mnemonic)

Return to “Wallets”