Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
robertwilliamallen
AMA
AMA

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DaTcCRxaFEECnq5y4eXWMw5Q94YwcrW5G

I'm Robert Allen, Founder & CEO of COINCUBE, AMA - December 9th

Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:46 am

Hello everyone,

I'm the Founder and CEO of COINCUBE (coincube.io). We offer robo-advising services for Bitcoin users.

Some recent highlights:

We were recently featured in TechCrunch:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/04/a-new- ... -your-btc/

I was interviewed by Rob Mitchell on The Bitcoin Game:
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/t ... rading-bot

Prior to founding COINCUBE, I worked as a precious metals broker and trader with Peter Schiff's company, Euro Pacific Precious Metals (recently rebranded as SchiffGold). I finished out my tenure there as Director of Business Development and was instrumental in their move to accept Bitcoin payments.

AMA!

ronnieb
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: I'm Robert Allen, Founder & CEO of COINCUBE, AMA - December 9th

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:47 am

Hello everyone,

I'm the Founder and CEO of COINCUBE (coincube.io). We offer robo-advising services for Bitcoin users.

Some recent highlights:

We were recently featured in TechCrunch:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/04/a-new- ... -your-btc/

I was interviewed by Rob Mitchell on The Bitcoin Game:
https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/t ... rading-bot

Prior to founding COINCUBE, I worked as a precious metals broker and trader with Peter Schiff's company, Euro Pacific Precious Metals (recently rebranded as SchiffGold). I finished out my tenure there as Director of Business Development and was instrumental in their move to accept Bitcoin payments.

AMA!
Hello Robert, thanks for all you are doing in the space.

Questions/Statements:
  1. Performance based fees only... Ok, I'm in!!!!!
  2. You are using a Bayesian Algorithm I assume? Any similarity to the MIT work a while back or is this home grown?
  3. Obviously Bots will dominate pure homo sapiens in this realm... so where are we going exactly? If everyone can just use a Bot, then don't we all become filthy rich? And if we are all rich and Bots are doing all the work... do we still really need money?
  4. What has been the biggest hurdle in starting COINCUBE?
  5. Are there any regulatory concerns down the road?
  6. Do you guys need a corporate pilot, and do you pay in bitcoin? (I think I will just start asking this question on every AMA)

ronnieb
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:52 am

One more question. Would you talk at our next meetup on Dec 29th Via Hangouts? PM if you would.

Skin_in_the_game
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Hello Robert

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight people's opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.) So Instead of asking their opinion on bitcoin, I'm now asking every participants the same question:

- Do you mind to tell us which percentage of your personal net worth and/or liquid assets you hold in Bitcoins ?

nyeko_12
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DBAq46iSNLTsq33dySBpYpaFqH3pTi9sk

Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:32 am

Hi Robert!

What are your opinions regarding the Blocksize-issue(Especially after the Scaling bitcoin event)? are you for BIP100(increase of up to 17%)/BIP101(8 MB and up to GBs)/BIP248(2-4-8-32MB) with/without Segregated Witness and lightning network?
Do you hold bitcoins yourself(in the trezor,web Wallet,mobile wallet or desktop wallet)? How much bitcoins do you hold?
What do you think about bitcoins future(block halvening,openbaazar etc)?

CryptAxe
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:04 am

Are you guys are holding funds in your own wallet on customers behalf or do your customers retain ownership of their Bitcoins?
CryptAxe.com | bitcoinhivemind.com

robertwilliamallen
AMA
AMA

Donate BTC of your choice to 1DaTcCRxaFEECnq5y4eXWMw5Q94YwcrW5G

Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:59 am

Hello Robert, thanks for all you are doing in the space.

Questions/Statements:

Performance based fees only... Ok, I'm in!!!!!
You are using a Bayesian Algorithm I assume? Any similarity to the MIT work a while back or is this home grown?
Obviously Bots will dominate pure homo sapiens in this realm... so where are we going exactly? If everyone can just use a Bot, then don't we all become filthy rich? And if we are all rich and Bots are doing all the work... do we still really need money?
What has been the biggest hurdle in starting COINCUBE?
Are there any regulatory concerns down the road?
Do you guys need a corporate pilot, and do you pay in bitcoin? (I think I will just start asking this question on every AMA)
1. Glad you approve. We feel it is only fair to make money if our users do.
2. We do not offer a mean regression algorithm yet, although I am aware of the MIT paper. Our current offering, WAVE, is a trend following system that uses technical analysis tools to determine the dominant price trend and to spot trend reversals.
3. Hopefully in the future we will all be less preoccupied with money because it will be secure, stable, fair, and universal. I am hopeful that Bitcoin can accomplish this within our lifetime.
4. If you leave a steady paycheck to start a company, you will feel like you are in free fall from time to time. Learning how to harness and use that energy has been very important.
5. Thankfully, we are in a safe spot in terms of regulation. We do not hold user funds and therefore we are not under the BitLicense or AML/KYC regulations. We only offer spot bitcoin trading and do not deal with any derivatives. This means that we are outside of the CFTC's regulatory jurisdiction as well.
6. We are a few years away from needing a corporate pilot, but you are our man when that day comes. :) Happy to pay in bitcoin.
Hello Robert

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight people's opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.) So Instead of asking their opinion on bitcoin, I'm now asking every participants the same question:

- Do you mind to tell us which percentage of your personal net worth and/or liquid assets you hold in Bitcoins ?
I enjoy Nassim Taleb and that is an excellent quote. I have about 50% of my new worth in bitcoin. I know, this is very high, but I also use the WAVE algorithm to help manage that money, so my exposure to volatility risk is somewhat lower than a simple buy-and-hold investor.
Hi Robert!

What are your opinions regarding the Blocksize-issue(Especially after the Scaling bitcoin event)? are you for BIP100(increase of up to 17%)/BIP101(8 MB and up to GBs)/BIP248(2-4-8-32MB) with/without Segregated Witness and lightning network?
Do you hold bitcoins yourself(in the trezor,web Wallet,mobile wallet or desktop wallet)? How much bitcoins do you hold?
What do you think about bitcoins future(block halvening,openbaazar etc)?
1. I like BIP 101.
2. I have a Ledger wallet, a bunch of wallets on my iPhone, a few web wallets, and then some bitcoins on a few exchanges. I think it is always wise to diversify your holdings and to use 2FA whenever possible.
3. Block reward halving should be price supportive. Haven't followed OpenBaazar very closely as of late but I like the concept.
Are you guys are holding funds in your own wallet on customers behalf or do your customers retain ownership of their Bitcoins?
No, all funds are held in user exchange accounts. We connect to user accounts using API keys.

CryptoCrypto
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Great, thank you.

BitcoinTraderForever
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Your project is so awesome.