Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

I'm Chris Odom, creator of Open-Transactions, co-founder of Monetas, and co-founder of Stash. Ask me anything.

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Hello, my name is Chris Odom.

I'm the author of Open-Transactions: http://opentransactions.org

I'm the co-founder of Monetas, and I just started a new company with Cliff Baltzley (of Hushmail) called Stash: http://stashcrypto.com

Here's a speech I just did at the Bitcoin Investor conference in Las Vegas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0UYzucfBLs

We announced Stash less than two months ago, and it’s my full time endeavor. We’re writing code, raising money, and having fun in Austin with a great team of five guys.

It's a nice Sunday afternoon; I'll be here for a few hours, and then I'll come on again later tonight to try and answer a few more questions.

Ask me anything. :-)
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas
Creator, Open-Transactions

bernardoba

Re: I'm Chris Odom, creator of Open-Transactions, co-founder of Monetas, and co-founder of Stash. Ask me anything.

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Hello Chris,

1) I know you said you´re no longer part of the Monetas team, but are you still in touch or helping them somehow as you´re an important investor in the company?

2) What is your vision for the future of Monetas? Do you think it will be an important proyect in the coming cryptofinance ecosystem?

3) What are the similarities and diferences between the Monetas and Stash business model and technology?
Are they complementary or competitor proyects?
Correct me if I am wrong but I think Monetas uses a similar software as open-transactions and it´s focused in the african market, which market is Stash pointing at? Is Stash working with bitcoin exchanges to avoid another MtGox situation?

4) Who are the 5 developers working at Stash?

5) Does Stash work completely on OT or the proyect runs a diferent software? When will be the roll out?

6) Monetas and Stash compete with the Blockstream´s Sidechains and the Lightning Network in the off-chain transactions?
What system do you think will win in the long run and why?

Thanks for your time

minimalB

Re: I'm Chris Odom, creator of Open-Transactions, co-founder of Monetas, and co-founder of Stash. Ask me anything.

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi Chris,

First, thanks for doing OT as a gift to humanity, I personally believe this project is going to make huge impact!

I have three questions:

1. what is (in your view) main OT advantage over Bitcoin Sidechains / Lightening?

2. I heard many times OT servers do not have to be trusted, because they are federated (voting pool via multisig). What happens for example: I peg my btc into OT and buy some gold certificates from gold issuer who is in voting pool with 3 other gold issuers... now, those 3 issuers are friends and they disappear for good. Am I out of luck with my gold receipt in that kind of scenario?

3. Will stashcrypto products be opensource, free, or commercial?

Thanks!

notig
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:39 pm

I wanted to bring up something you said in a recent video I saw (I think it was you)

You talked about how you think we will still need government because even though property can be stored on the blockchain, courts will need something they actually have control over so they will use some kind of centralized store.

Can't that be somehow solved with the use of either multi sig or M of N private keys? You can announce the change of ownership on the blockchain but the behavior of that ownership can be decided by more than one person ?

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Hello Chris,

1) I know you said you´re no longer part of the Monetas team, but are you still in touch or helping them someho?
I stepped down from Monetas earlier this year. Here's the official announcement: http://opentransactions.org/forum/index ... ic=11922.0

Yes we're definitely still in touch, but I am not working there anymore; Johann is steering the ship.
as you´re an important investor in the company?
FYI I am a shareholder but not an investor (since I am a founder.)
2) What is your vision for the future of Monetas? Do you think it will be an important project in the coming cryptofinance ecosystem?
When we founded Monetas, our vision was mobile payments, with an emphasis on Africa. (And I have high hopes for their continued success!)

At Stash my focus is squarely on Open-Transactions. My goal for the cryptofinance ecosystem is to enable "the little guy" server operator to offer users higher actual security than is currently available from the big institutional operations, and also to empower users themselves to the point of complete financial autonomy through cryptographic software. I believe this will disrupt entities who base their brand on trust.

But I'd rather not speculate on how important it will become. I'd rather just do it :-)
3) What are the similarities and diferences between the Monetas and Stash business model and technology?
Are they complementary or competitor proyects?
Correct me if I am wrong but I think Monetas uses a similar software as open-transactions and it´s focused in the african market, which market is Stash pointing at? Is Stash working with bitcoin exchanges to avoid another MtGox situation?
Sorry but I can't discuss Monetas' proprietary information; I suggest you look at their website, and/or ask them. They have a great communications team!

At Stash our focus is heavily on cryptographic proofs and user autonomy. And we’re being approached by all sorts of different entities, including yes, Bitcoin exchanges. And yes, one of the benefits of voting pools is the ability to solve the "MtGox Problem." That problem is not going to have an institutional solution–it's going to have a technological solution.
4) Who are the 5 developers working at Stash?
Besides Cliff and myself, I will let our 3 developers post in this thread themselves if they wish at this time to reveal their identities. Stash is a big believer in personal privacy. I'll give you a hint though: Any programmer can easily figure out who they are.
5) Does Stash work completely on OT or the project runs a different software? When will be the roll out?
Stash uses OT and proprietary pieces. It will be rolled out in 2016.
6) Monetas and Stash compete with the Blockstream´s Sidechains and the Lightning Network in the off-chain transactions?
What system do you think will win in the long run and why?
I can't speak for Monetas, but Austin Hill and Adam Back are both great guys and I think they're doing great stuff over there. I don't think they're trying to compete with what I'm building. They have their own brilliant ideas.

I am a bit of an anomaly compared to all the other Bitcoin companies out there. They are all creating alt-chains and side chains and many other variations on chains and blocks and coins. But I am building Open-Transactions, a strictly off-chain system. It is unique.

Open-Transactions is like the opposite of a blockchain. Instead of storing a complete history, it proves its state without having to store the history. Also, unlike Bitcoin (and Ripple, and Ethereum, etc), OT does not have a global ledger. Instead, it integrates with external global ledgers. And OT does not have a confirmation time, other than "instant."

And our multisig at Stash is not like other companies' multisig, because what matters is not the M-of-N blockchain voting itself. What really matters is the security of the OFF-CHAIN portion of the system. And that off-chain ledger must be based on cryptographic proofs–as Open-Transactions is–in order for the multisigners to make informed decisions on specific M-of-N withdrawals from the pot.

If an exchange's internal ledger is not based on cryptographic proofs–if it's just a normal database–then their multisig provides the users effectively no security. The multisigners would have to just "take each other's word for it" whenever moving blockchain funds, making them very susceptible to hacks on individual exchanges. (No collusion necessary!)

And there is no other sort of multisig that we see in the Bitcoin world today except for the kind you see at Coinbase, where the user himself has one of the signatures. (This of course, eliminates the ability to perform any off-chain transactions on those funds, since they are now "locked.")

This is why I have always said that OT is a critical component to making voting pools work.

You can read more about it here: http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php/Voting_Pools
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas

OX3

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:07 pm

In the past you talked about the dangers of locating a crypto company in the United States. Have your views changed on this? :-)

OX3

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:25 pm

How do you see OT's smart contracts working with blockchain-based smart contract protocols (Ethereum, Rootstock etc), including non-financial applications? How much of a priority are any such applications for Stash? Thanks

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi Chris,

First, thanks for doing OT as a gift to humanity, I personally believe this project is going to make huge impact!

I have three questions:

1. what is (in your view) main OT advantage over Bitcoin Sidechains / Lightening?
Please see my answer at the bottom of this post.
2. I heard many times OT servers do not have to be trusted, because they are federated (voting pool via multisig). What happens for example: I peg my btc into OT and buy some gold certificates from gold issuer who is in voting pool with 3 other gold issuers... now, those 3 issuers are friends and they disappear for good. Am I out of luck with my gold receipt in that kind of scenario?
Of course, someone who is holding physical gold will always have the ability to steal that gold. But let's talk about the security that software can and cannot provide.

And BTW, I recommend the "How it Works" page on the Stash website:
http://stashcrypto.com/how-it-works/

OT servers are unable to falsify your receipt against your will, since they cannot forge your signature.

Since an OT server cannot forge receipts, the only crime theoretically possible for an individual OT server is inflation (counterfeiting in the off-chain ledger.) This is why it's so important that OT is able to produce cryptographic proofs – so that the nodes in the pool can have assurance that none of the other nodes are counterfeiting in their off-chain ledgers, before they make any multisig votes on those funds.

In this way, the voting pool doesn't just solve Bitcoin's "theft of funds" problem, but it also solves the off-chain counterfeiting problem as well, that otherwise is a risk in all other solutions I've seen. The MtGox database is the most notorious example of what can happen.

Voting Pools are still not completely "no trust" because a supermajority of the pool members still have the power to collude and steal the funds. Rather, voting pools provide a "low trust" solution that offers the highest security theoretically possible on the server side, and it is much higher than anything available on the server side today.

You can read more about the voting pools security model here: http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index. ... easurement

But the complete picture must include the client side as well. For it is the client's money, and autonomy, and ultimately his decision how to store his keys (preferably in a hardware wallet) and how to distribute his money across various blockchains and pools. The "smart wallet" of the future will automate these sorts of user preferences about value flows.

In other words, the future will be client-centric, not server-centric.

Finally, you asked about gold issuers. Yes, OT is currency-agnostic, but I should point out that any gold or fiat issuers will probably not be operating these servers! Rather, they will issue their currencies directly onto the blockchain as colored coins. Users can then choose to deposit those colored coins into Stash pools, the same way that users may choose to deposit their normal bitcoins into Stash pools. The gold issuer would have no knowledge or control over what the users do with those colored coins. That's the beauty of this system, that it enables a strict separation of powers between the currency issuers and the pool node operators.

One more thing... you pointed out that, when it comes to gold, there is still a gold issuer somewhere who is holding the physical gold, and who could potentially steal that physical gold. I wanted to design software solutions to help mitigate this risk, and so I built strategies into OT such as separation of powers, and basket currencies. But as secure as the software gets, gold will always have this vulnerability–Bitcoin will always be superior in this respect.
3. Will stashcrypto products be opensource, free, or commercial?
Open-Transactions is (and always will be) open source, under the MPLv2 license. The license is compatible with commercial projects, as well as GPL-based projects.

Stash is also building proprietary software that takes advantage of the capabilities provided by Open-Transactions, and we encourage other companies to do the same.
Last edited by fellowtraveler on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas

Cryptoman

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Chris, I'd like to thank you for all of your contributions to the crypto-finance ecosystem. You always have really great ideas. I enjoyed listening to the panel discussion that you participated in at the Bitcoin Investor Conference. Your comparison of proof-of-work to the handicap principle is very insightful, and I concur that the most secure and most valuable cryptocurrencies and platforms will continue to be based on POW.

Questions:
1. Do you foresee ways in which Stash can improve the fungibility and anonymity of Bitcoin? The ability to issue blinded tokens is already built into OT; do you plan to make use of this capability at Stash?

2. In the Open Transactions ecosystem diagram on the Stash web site, you show colored coin transactions on the Bitcoin blockchain. Will OT have its own implementation of colored coins, or will you use one of the existing implementations?

3. As you've no doubt discovered, it's not easy to monetize one's contributions to the cryptocurrency community unless you're running an exchange or a gambling site. What will Stash's value proposition be, and what will prevent open-source projects from undercutting this?

4. You were working with the Ethereum folks at one time and were prominently featured on the Ethereum web site prior to the crowd sale. What is your current relationship with them, and do you think that, in the long run, their platform will be as successful as Bitcoin and its associated platforms, sidechains and colored coin systems?

I wish you the best of luck with Stash and hope it brings you significant financial returns.

Thanks for your time.

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:22 pm

I wanted to bring up something you said in a recent video I saw (I think it was you)

You talked about how you think we will still need government because even though property can be stored on the blockchain, courts will need something they actually have control over so they will use some kind of centralized store.

Can't that be somehow solved with the use of either multi sig or M of N private keys? You can announce the change of ownership on the blockchain but the behavior of that ownership can be decided by more than one person ?
I don't think I said we will always "need" government. The point I made was that courts will always recognize their own property titles over outside title registries that they do not control.

Registering ownership of land on the blockchain does not guarantee that courts will recognize that registration. If someone dies in a car accident, and their private key is lost forever, the courts will still assign the property to the heir, according to their laws, and record it in their own court records. And their court records will be the records they consult when they send the sheriff down to enforce it.

You are correct that multisig could somehow be a solution there, but it will only be a solution that is enforced by the courts if they maintain complete control over the contents of those records. (That's my prediction, anyway.)
Last edited by fellowtraveler on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:43 pm

How do you see OT's smart contracts working with blockchain-based smart contract protocols (Ethereum, Rootstock etc), including non-financial applications? How much of a priority are any such applications for Stash? Thanks

We have working smart contracts in the protocol and API, and we have recently added a Smart Contract designer/editor to our desktop GUI.

But on the user side, each individual smart contract has an entirely different UI. So those UIs should not be built into the desktop application itself, but rather, should be built as web pages. Each smart contract is like a mini-project of its own, and will need to be simulated and tested individually before being used with real money.

At Stash our priority is not in creating each individual smart contract that people will use to automate their value flows. Rather, we are building the core platform used for designing and executing those contracts.

You asked about Ethereum. We believe that smart contracts on our platform will be routinely integrated with Ethereum-style contracts, because our system offers a cheap, fast place to execute contracts securely. The portions that remain on-blockchain will be those that require its censorship-resistant properties so much that their progenitors are willing to pay the extra price–and wait the extra delay–for censorship-resistant execution. Due to this we have already been approached by people who use Ethereum, and who are looking to move parts of their contracts off-chain using Stash. (While still running other parts on Ethereum itself.) Unfortunately, we have not integrated Ethereum yet (Bitcoin is our first priority) but it's on our roadmap.
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:07 am

In the past you talked about the dangers of locating a crypto company in the United States. Have your views changed on this? :-)
The U.S. is certainly not a friendly environment towards cryptocurrencies, and I think we've seen that with many companies and even Bitcoin pools leaving the country. It's unfortunate and will probably set the country back.

However, we believe our software uniquely safeguards us from these sorts of problems, and the legal structure we are putting together will enable us to live and work–and monetize–in America just fine.
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:09 am

Chris, I'd like to thank you for all of your contributions to the crypto-finance ecosystem. You always have really great ideas. I enjoyed listening to the panel discussion that you participated in at the Bitcoin Investor Conference. Your comparison of proof-of-work to the handicap principle is very insightful, and I concur that the most secure and most valuable cryptocurrencies and platforms will continue to be based on POW.
Thank you very much!
Questions:
1. Do you foresee ways in which Stash can improve the fungibility and anonymity of Bitcoin? The ability to issue blinded tokens is already built into OT; do you plan to make use of this capability at Stash?
At Stash we do not operate the software, we just write it. But it certainly seems within the realm of reason that users will choose to take advantage of blinded tokens. There are definitely many valuable (and important) use cases.

I also believe that payment codes will greatly improve Bitcoin's fungibility. Payment codes enable users to publish a single public address, that is re-usable (like email), where both parties can see a log of all transactions between them–yet outside parties cannot see their transactions on the blockchain.

Read more about payment codes: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... ent_codes/

We're moving towards a single OT identity with no central registry, where your public address is deterministically linked to your OT Nym IDs and your Bitcoin addresses, that provides full privacy, and that people can use similarly to email.
2. In the Open Transactions ecosystem diagram on the Stash web site, you show colored coin transactions on the Bitcoin blockchain. Will OT have its own implementation of colored coins, or will you use one of the existing implementations?
We plan to use existing open-source implementations for the actual colored coin wallet. Transaction-based coloring is a requirement.
3. As you've no doubt discovered, it's not easy to monetize one's contributions to the cryptocurrency community unless you're running an exchange or a gambling site. What will Stash's value proposition be, and what will prevent open-source projects from undercutting this?
We are writing proprietary components to monetize, and our system will provide us with a mandatory, automated revenue stream on the blockchain. (Frankly, I think we're sitting on a goldmine but I don't want to speak too much about our plans :-) )
4. You were working with the Ethereum folks at one time and were prominently featured on the Ethereum web site prior to the crowd sale. What is your current relationship with them, and do you think that, in the long run, their platform will be as successful as Bitcoin and its associated platforms, sidechains and colored coin systems?
I hate to speculate on any part of the future I am not building myself!

Ethereum are a brilliant team of guys (we're on very good terms, yes) and I think the vision of Turing-complete contracts on-chain, paid for by "fuel" is sound. The potential really is there, and I wish them the best of luck! I certainly can think of ways to take advantage of their platform.
Last edited by fellowtraveler on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas

fellowtraveler
AMA
AMA

Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:11 am

Alright guys it's been a great afternoon, looks like I got all the questions. It's been about 5 hours here, so I'm going to call it a night–the AMA is now closed.

BTW our team got back with me, so here's the names of our 3 kick-ass developers: Justus Ranvier, Jon Rumion, and Faiz Khan. All three have extensive cryptofinance experience and expertise.

Thanks again for all the great questions!
@FellowTraveler2
Co-founder, Stash
Co-founder, Monetas

moses5407

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:11 pm

HI, Chris .. ALoha from Hawaii!

I've been watching teh Open Transcactions/Monetas project for most of their duration and believe this is one of the most important paradigm shifts .. or potential shifts .. in finance and world economy.

I have a backburnered project which relies on the Stash approach .. but involves the ability to issue currency and a couple of other pieces I can only discuss in private.

Not pressing .. but is there an approximate project timeline for completion of the already mentioned features/interface?

I'm about a month away from finalizing another important piece of my project, which I'd be glad to share with you when ready.

Cheers .. and thanks for the long efforts!

jon.hall

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:28 am

my name is jon. I live in Hawaii, (NICE) but i can seem to by bit coin. can you help

jpss7303

Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Hi Chris, I am having trouble understanding what bitcoin.com is. I open the app on my iPhone click buy bitcoin I was transferred to simplex, simplex debited my bank card and the bitcoin balance hasn't appeared on my bitcoin.com wallet. Where is my money? what is bitcoin.com about if there is not even a user and password to login? I am new to this type of currencies and services.

Ricky7208

Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:34 am

About five or six years ago I was paid $100 and bitcoin by guy from overseas I’m trying to recover that because I never used it because I did not know how to do you have any idea how I can recover that

QuantumBunk

Donate BTC of your choice to 18eqxQTJcZ87CXenmjKYsp3EqEfCQofeKc

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:29 am

Hi there....testing to see if this thing really works!!!! I’ve had the damndest time signing up!!!! Ugh!!

QuantumBunk

Donate BTC of your choice to 18eqxQTJcZ87CXenmjKYsp3EqEfCQofeKc

Re: Nano S Wallet

Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:39 am

I just bought a Nano S Ledger....am I able to use it with Bitcoin Cash? It's very problematic & they have horriible support. I've no idea how to integrate various wallets with it...like my Electrum or Bitcoin Cash or anything!! They make it impossible to understand & all the Youtubers are very shallow tutorials....they just breeze straigh through & only gloss over stuff. Horrible. It shouldn't be so difficult. Do you have any idea about this or point me in any direction?
Is this Nano S even necessary? Can someone hack my computer while im onlline sending Bitcoins on Bitcoin.com or Electrum? I'm confused about this.
Thanks!!!

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:06 pm

How is your product better than Rai Blocks?
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”