leanmusclemass

what is a "bitcoin address"?

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 pm

HI all.
Total newb, trying to get started.
The "buy Bitcoin" form asks for my "bitcoin address" but I have no idea what that is. I tried entering my IP and the name of my wallet but that wasn't it. The "haven't got one"? button just takes you back to the "get a wallet" page.

Be very grateful for any help.

Thanks.

Simon.

torusJKL
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: what is a "bitcoin address"?

Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Welcome to bitcoin!

A bitcoin address is a unique address that is created by your bitcoin wallet.
It is the public part and can be shared with everyone. The wallet creates an additional private key that is only known to your wallet and if shared with others would give them the possibility to steal your bitcoins.

You can download the wallet from bitcoin.com on the Play Store or App Store.
When you start the app the first time it will create two wallets. Bitcoin Core (BTC) and Bitcoin Cash (BCH).

You can press on receive on the bottom of the screen and choose the correct wallet (depending which coin you want to receive).
It will show you an address that begins with the number 1.

Each time you use an address the app will create a new address.
The next time you can either use the new address (recommended) or you can reuse the old address (even though it is not displayed).

P.S. before you buy bitcoins I invite you to read the white paper and get to know the technology.
Please also read about the legacy Bitcoin (SegWit) known as BTC and the new Bitcoin Cash known as BCH.

Return to “Beginners & Help”