Forum rules
The more people that are involved, the more interesting this AMA series will be for everyone.
Please help spread the word of this amazing AMA series on your own social media. (YES, EVEN YOURS!)
Short URL: AMA.Bitcoin.com
Hashtag: #BTCAMA
When the AMAs are finished, all the answers will be compiled into a free E-book!
adiiorio
AMA
AMA

I'm Anthony Di Iorio - Founder of Ethereum, Decentral, Krypokit & Rushwallet - Ask me anything!

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:57 pm

I'll be around most of the day. Ask me anything.

Here are some interesting things about me you may want to ask me about.
  • Launched the 2nd ATM in the world and first Bitacccess machine
    Invested in Bitcoin in (2012)
    Founded Ethereum with Vitalik, Mihai, Charles and Amir Chetrit (The initial founding team)
    Opened the Decentralized tech hub "Decentral" in Toronto January 1st 2014
    Created and sold the gaming site Satoshi Circle in 2013
    Launched Kryptokit in 2013 and Rushwallet in the summer 2014
    Founded the Bitcoin Alliance of Canada
    Organized the Bitcoin Expo in Toronto
    Organized over 100 Bitcoin / Ethereum / Decentralized Tech events since 2012
    My consulting firm Decentral Consulting works with Banks, Stock Exchanges and other enterprise providing guidance on Blockchain tech
    Kryptokit is rebranding and will be launching a new suite of wallet products soon
Last edited by adiiorio on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

BitGuy
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Re: I'm Anthony Di Iorio - Founder of Ethereum, Decentral, Krypokit & Rushwallet - Ask me anything!

Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:59 pm

Why you made Ethereum?
Try Incurex.com for currency exchange

adiiorio
AMA
AMA

Re: I'm Anthony Di Iorio - Founder of Ethereum, Decentral, Krypokit & Rushwallet - Ask me anything!

Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:14 pm

>Why you made Ethereum?

I met Vitalik in the summer of 2012. He was the inventor of the concept of Ethereum and released the white paper in late 2013. The idea for a turing complete Smart Contract and Decentralized Application Platform was devised as V while traveling around working on various projects in 2013 and realizing that adding features and building on top of Bitcoin was very limit beyond payments. I had brought in Vitalik as part of the Kryptokit in late 2013 and when he showed me the white-paper in November 2013 I was hooked. I then passed it along to Charles Hoskinson and he joined the project. Mihai came in as he had also founded Bitcoin Magazine with V, and Amir C joined also as a founder as he had worked with V on Colored Coins. That was the original founding team

rogerver
Founder
Founder

Donate BTC of your choice to 1PpmSbUghyhgbzsDevqv1cxxx8cB2kZCdP

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for having such an amazing track record in the bitcoin space!
How do you spend your time currently each day?

What future developments are you most interested in, and why?
Help spread Bitcoin by linking to everything mentioned here:
topic7039.html

jamie.redman1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey Anthony,

What steps would you say are important to do within the community in order to establish more Bitcoin adoption?

~ Jamie

adiiorio
AMA
AMA

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for having such an amazing track record in the bitcoin space!
How do you spend your time currently each day?

What future developments are you most interested in, and why?
Hey Roger. Thanks for asking me to contribute to the AMA

We've got a staff of 10 currently working at Decentral on various projects. Most of my time is spent directing the activities.

The work is spread out between managing the ATM, Development of Ethereumwallet.com, the next line of wallets we're about to announce, and client work on the consulting side, and pushing out content and reports. It's a pretty active space and we're constantly fielding questions from customers about which wallet to setup when buy BTC and general questions about Bitcoin and Blockchain. On a good day we get 50 customers using the ATM.

adiiorio
AMA
AMA

Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Hey Anthony,

What steps would you say are important to do within the community in order to establish more Bitcoin adoption?

~ Jamie
For Bitcoin in particular, more reason for people to use bitcoin is important. Things like big saving when using Bitcoin, or discounts. Purse.io is a great example. If only the masses would realize they could save +20% on everything at Amazon using Bitcoin. As a community we should be screaming this at the top of our lungs.

More big companies accepting and promoting Bitcoin would be great. There seems to be a lull recently.

HodlDwon

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:18 pm

Hey Anthony,

Regarding the last year at least of vitriol against developers and others in the Bitcoin space trying to scale and improve on the Bitcoin protocol... how can Ethereum avoid that as it switches to CASPER PoS and the Ethereum Foundation transitions to a DAO (distributed autonomous organization)?

At DevCon1 Vinay Gupta warned us about the failures of the cypherpunks. He warned us about the need to fund public goods with the long tail of Ethereum as the initial funding spike depletes. I fear altruism won't be enough for what we hope to achieve as a community. I am personally in favour of either skimming transaction fees as a tax and/or inflation to fund public goods. This train of thought tends to be anathema in the bitcoin space, but if these tithes are guided by prediction markets in a futarchy I think they could have positive ROI on the market cap; making it worthwhile to still hold and stake Ether. With currency agnosticism in the pipeline, users will be able to pay tx fees in stablecoins, the btc subcoin, or other asset based tokens. So if the futarchy makes bad decisions, only Stakers will be punished by devaluation of Ether as users move to alternatives.

What are your thoughts on all this and how do you see the governance problem being solved in the long term to avoid the "Tragedy of the Commons" that I fear is strangling Bitcoin?

Skin_in_the_game
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:34 pm

Hello Anthony

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight people's opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.) So Instead of asking their opinion on bitcoin, I'm now asking every participants the same question:

- Do you mind to tell us which percentage of your personal net worth and/or liquid assets you hold in Bitcoins ? (And same question for Ether)

adiiorio
AMA
AMA

Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:26 pm

Hello Anthony

I was re-reading Antifragile by iconoclast thinker Nassim Taleb recently. He writes
"Never ask anyone for their opinion [...] Just ask them what they have -or don't have- in their portfolio"
I have come to think it's a very relevant question and you can better weight people's opinions having an idea of how many Bitcoins they hold (or do not hold.) So Instead of asking their opinion on bitcoin, I'm now asking every participants the same question:

- Do you mind to tell us which percentage of your personal net worth and/or liquid assets you hold in Bitcoins ? (And same question for Ether)
Thanks for the question.

Over 50% of my portfolio is in Ether and Bitcoin. The Ether to Bitcoin split is about 40% / 60%. For many reasons I don't think I'll go into more detail than that.

kaibakker
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Hello Anthony,
Ethereum is one of the most interesting projects in the crypto space!
I would be interested to know what you think of Rootstock? Do you see them as a competitor or another platform to run Ethereum on?
What do you think will be the differences from a users/developers perspective between using native ether platform and rootstock?

sammy0724

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:35 pm

I am new to bitcoin and ethereum. What is the difference between the two? What's their future prospects?

piebeyb
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Donate BTC of your choice to 1EsWXN3VcBb2rRenMBYd4V3WTfiZxaaiK3

Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:59 pm

Hi Anthony, what do you think about bitcoin in the future and what projects you want to wake up in 2017?
Image Tip me BCH : qzahl4e8mqy5se6sdnc6j24mv4vtdtlpv5jmnhsw3n

CryptoMedia
Nickel Bitcoiner
Nickel Bitcoiner

Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:53 pm

What do you think about crypto in general

OneChain
Silver Bitcoiner
Silver Bitcoiner

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:40 pm

How long do you think we will be in this bear market?
Whichever chain wins,the world wins Image

Return to “AMA - Ask Me Anything”